[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid question: do you have any tips with taking abstract concepts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: SCAN0012.jpg (1MB, 2480x3232px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0012.jpg
1MB, 2480x3232px
Stupid question: do you have any tips with taking abstract concepts and turning them into tangible progress? I ask because I'm working to write more music, but I have a mental block when it comes to taking these concepts I learn in theoretical texts, and translating them into my compositions.

I have an easy time dissecting music, and applying theory when it comes to breaking things down, but it's an absolute fight to turn that theory into a composition. I don't have a terrible time coming up with ideas, it's usually the second phrase that completely shuts my mind down.

Any musicians, or other artisans that have experienced this roadblock?
>>
>>17393566
>>17393566
Can you recommend some theoretical texts?
>>
>>17393602
I guess I'd have to ask about your current knowledge base. Can you read music? Have you had any theory before?
>>
>>17393612
I havent read music before
>>
>>17393628
Then I would suggest that you learn how to read music, and possibly learn some basic stuff on piano/keyboard. The book I used in college was The Musician's Guide to Theory and Analysis by the authors Clendinning and Marvin. It covered a broad spectrum, and the language wasn't dry. Everyone has their preference of textbook, and no one book is immune to criticism, but if you're starting out from nothing, then any book published within the last 30 years will due just fine.
>>
I'll exchange knowledge for knowledge.
>>
One last bump
>>
>>17393566
Hey, I'll help.

Before I start, I'll introduce myself. I'm a full time composer. I write mostly pieces for wind bands (woodwind+brass+percussion), but I also do some piano pieces and exercises.

The main problem I have seen when it comes to people being unable to go through with their creative process is that they simple feel silly and self-embarrassed when they find that golden idea. Don't!

Personally, when I write music I pace around my house, back and forth, and just imagine the piece as if it were in a movie or some type of choreographed show (marching band, ballet, etc).
You won't get the "perfect" idea immediately most times, in fact, you most likely wont even write the song start-to-finish. You'll most likely come up with a nice motif, and then from that create your introduction, body, and finale.

Also, as >>17393651 said, learn some piano.
Piano is the universal instrument, as it covers the entire chromatic spectrum (save for some pedal tones). When I have an idea, I sit down and play with it on piano. Then I imagine it in a variety of instruments, and find what works best. Sometimes, I'm wrong about what works best and I have to rewrite and that's okay.
It's best to be wrong and achieve perfection than it is to force yourself to be right and achieve mediocrity.

Hope I helped!
>>
>>17396898
Thanks. Also, do you make sketches for your pieces? I've read some composer manuscripts, and found that they talk about making sketches. I don't get what all exactly a sketch entails. What all needs to be decided, or worked out in some sense?
>>
>>17396898
Quick follow up question. How much of your process is rational, and how much is intuited?
>>
>>17396956
A sketch as far as I'm aware varies from writer to writer. I personally just remember them or type a quick note in my phone.

Half and half. The songs themselves are intuited, the libretto. But the actual melodic line and musical devices I use are rational, as I go with whatever makes sense.
>>
>>17396956
Libretto being "the text of an opera" but in this case being kind of the unspoken text of the song/the ideas
>>
>>17396971
>the libretto
Is that your term for the text, or do you write operas?
>>
>>17396975
You can speak jargon. I've had my two years of theory and history already. I'm actually majoring in theory.
>>
>>17396979
>>17396981
I'm self-taught, I majored in history. I've played piano since I was 4 and after college I found my calling while teaching at a high school.

Libretto is my term, I can't write operas
>>
>>17397139
Neat. I wish you the best of luck with your music, and again, thanks for your advice.
>>
>>17393566
take some acid
no, seriously
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.