[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is a place I can learn how to street fight to defend myself,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: fight_7.jpg (119KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
fight_7.jpg
119KB, 500x344px
Where is a place I can learn how to street fight to defend myself, and not martial arts. I don't know if I just had a bad experience with martial arts, but it seems more like a sport than a practical tool.
>>
>>17388231
There might be Webites to teach you moves idk.
>>
>>17388235
But looking at pictures and videos vs. actually doing and practicing something is very different
>>
>>17388231
check out krav maga. your martial arts experience might be bad due to the martial arts you chose. you cant teach your self to street fight, you have to train with other people.
>>
I don't know shit about fighting but just watching MMA fighters gives me a boner. I'd bet on one of them over a "street fighter". Maybe look into a different kind of martial art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ2uMMy6BMY
>>
>>17388231

MMA gym. Boxing gym. Shut the fuck up about "hurr durr" martial arts. You don't have any other practical options.
>>
>>17388289
lol you're right. most "street fighters" are weak compared to properly trained fighters. they only think they are good fighters because they go against other people who are weak. the guy in that vid didnt even look like that good of a fighter desu, he had a chance to throw a side kick and he didnt, but even he easily beat them guys lol.

that street fighter left himself wide open. he ran at his opponent like wtf lol that retarded, no one that knows how to fight would make such a stupid mistake.
>>
Protip: If you're not getting paid to fight you're just an idiot.

Fighting is the dumbest shit ever. It usually always leads to more fighting because if you win they'll want payback, and if you lose you'll probably be mad and want to kick their ass.

I got in fights when I was a teenager. Frankly if you're older than that you shouldn't be getting in fights period, and even as a teenager you still shouldn't be getting into fights for said reasons above.
>>
>>17388328
>If you're not getting paid to fight you're just an idiot.
op wants to learn so he can defend himself. fighting is a hobby to some people. People who learn to fight dont go around trying to fight people in a pub or some shit, they enter tournaments or they spar with other practitioners.
>>
>>17388248
isn't krav maga bullshit, though? Anything that turns a soccer mom into a "fighter" sound too good to be true
>>
>>17388356
no lol. martial arts is literally about technique. a soccer mom could be turned into a fighter with the right training. its probably the most effective system that can be taught in the shortest amount of time.
>>
>>17388343
You shouldn't be getting yourself into situations where you would have to defend yourself. Especially as an adult or young adult you should never find yourself in such a situation.

I've spent a lot of time in bars and around drunk people, and while I have had a few times where a fight could have happened, it didn't because I either said the right thing or I didn't say anything.

If you're walking around in some ghetto where you could get jumped and need to defend yourself. Your problem is you probably shouldn't have been walking around there.
>>
>>17388377
>if you're walking around in some ghetto where you could get jumped and need to defend yourself. Your problem is you probably shouldn't have been walking around there.

some people dont much of a choice though. i live in a shit area, and i dont have a choice atm. Also, knowing how to defend yourself improves confidence. if you dont know how to fight, you are bound by the knowledge that if you say or do the wrong thing you could get beat up. if i know how to defend myself, i can speak freely, and express my opinion with out worry about some insecure person possibly beating me or a friend up. Sometimes people are just looking for a fight anyway and they wont listen to anything you have to say.
>>
>>17388377

This logic is absurd. At the end of the day, if some one wants to attack you, it's a decision you have no say in. If you want, why not learn to defend yourself? Anecdotal evidence and cherry picking doesn't disprove the claim that an attack against you can happen in any location.

If you're walking around outside you could die. Your problem is you probably shouldn't have gone outside.
>>
>>17388396
You really are not going to find yourself needing to "defend" yourself. The random attack is so unlikely to happen. I mean you're just as likely to get struck by lighting.
>>
>>17388420
would you say the same thing to a potential rape victim? you know, young males are the most targeted individuals in regards to crime.
>>
>>17388420

>You really are not going to find yourself needing to "defend" yourself.
Your claim is literally "no one needs to defend themselves ever".

Do you also think girls shouldn't carry around mace? Is every cautionary measure pointless because it's "unlikely to happen"? The truth is, OP may need to defend himself and just because it's unlikely to happen does not mean it will not happen. Learning to fight is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, it doesn't hurt anyone and he wants to do it. So again, why not?
>>
>>17388356
Martial arts exist on a spectrum of philosophy vs. pragmatism. Krav maga pretty much defines the pragmatic end of the spectrum, with literally zero philosophical aspect. Its users don't even like it when people call it a martial art, precisely because of that lack of philosophy.

That said, much like other martial arts and styles of combat, krav maga takes years to get any good. In fact, there's a point in your training when you're actually in MORE danger than you were before you started training, because you're busy unlearning the "natural" fighting instincts (which were decent enough for our evolutinary forebears, but for H. sapiens sapiens, not so much) but haven't yet really incorporated the replacement "instincts" that the style tries to teach you.

Boxing -Marquess of Queensbury, not the gloved stuff- is probably the quickest path into and out of that period, but it comes at a price: even bare-knuckle boxing has been linked to sport for so long that the style is heavily constrained in what it does. Against an untrained person this isn't so bad, but to anyone with any sense of what they're doing, you become predictable, and that is a weakness.
>>
>>17388428
>>17388437
Then just get a fucking gun. If you are ever in that much danger then you have every right to use deadly force.
>>
>>17388356
I bounced at a biker bar for five years when I was in my 20s. I've seen a lot of fights and been in more than a couple myself. When it comes to fighting, there are really only three factors: physical ability, training, and a willingness to hurt and be hurt. Thats it. Fights, especially street fights, will almost always favor someone who is trained over someone who is not because the vast majority of street fights involve people who are some combination of drunk, stupid, and overly aggressive.

Krav is about turning an untrained person into a reasonably aware, minimally trained person actively looking to hurt an opponent. In 9 fights out of 10, thats enough to win.

If someone is really worried about protecting themselves, though, they should get a gun and get training on how to use it. Fighting without getting paid is stupid and even someone who is strong, experienced, well trained, and willing to hurt someone else quickly runs a very serious risk of the kinds of injuries you live with for the rest of your life.
>>
>>17388534
i live in england. guns are illegal here.
>>
boxing or kickboxing
>>
>>17388231
Find a decent martial arts gym.
I don't know what experience you have with martial arts or what martial art you did, so I can't tell you why you had a bad experience.

I literally just posted about self defence in another thread, so I'll copypaste it.
>>
>>17388647
Amendments have been made to suit the threat:
Firstly you need to get into a decent physical condition, I'm talking be able to run 10k in 50 - 55 minutes depending on your height, 60 minutes if you are a woman, after all you can't defend yourself if you aren't in any condition to fight.

Next you need to learn a couple of forms of self defence, Filipino boxing, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai; these are good striking arts, attend at least twice a week and make sure you have the chance to spar in a controlled setting, this will help you should you ever get into a confrontation as you will be able to hopefully hit first and hit hard.

If you can spare the time, learn a grappling art like BJJ, JJ, wrestling or if you really struggle take up judo, in the event that your opponent gets past your attacks and your defences, having a good standing game and ground game might just save your life, as some people will likely stamp on your head or strangle you.

AVOID
Anywhere that you can achieve a black belt in less than 3 years
Anywhere that doesn't involve hitting pads or people, if you aren't practising hitting and blocking, you will never use it practically
Anywhere that has kids with black belts
Anywhere that has an instructor who never competed in at least a regional level
Anywhere that doesn't have some form of fitness testing

In case it is relevant I live in the UK, hopefully this post helps you.
>>
>>17388656
I forgot to add this; take people recommending Krav Maga with a bucket of salt.
Krav maga exists because people needed the confidence to defend themselves ASAP, I've met krav guys who claimed they could kick my ass, only for me to discover that they trained with people who rolled with the attacks or fell over with very little input, they had never jabbed someone in the throat with intent (yes, you can do it without killing someone or even seriously injuring them) and was squeamish about touching someone's eyes, most hadn't ever been in a fight or sparred.

I usually just trapped their arm downwards and slugged them in the chin, then they fell over.
This was after a year of JKD (a sillybollocks blend of everything where you aren't any use against anyone who trains one art, but can defend yourself pretty quickly if need be, I'd recommend it if you can find a good instructor who has experience in other arts).

Basically Krav maga is mega dangerous, but because of that, most haven't ever sparred or trained with intent, they are only in it to learn cool looking attacks and roll over when they get grabbed, meaning they might as well have read the attacks in a book and learned interpretive dance.
By all means try Krav, but I've been up and down the country and never met anyone who learned Krav and was any good in a fight.
>>
>>17388679
you seem to know what you're talking about. i have been doing boxing for about a year, and i done jeek kune do for a few years. how effective is boxing for self defense? i have never been in a proper fight, i have just sparred, so im wondering how useful it would actually be.
>>
>>17388420
>The random attack is so unlikely to happen. I mean you're just as likely to get struck by lighting.
Wow, you are naive.
"random" attacks happen everywhere every day, only they aren't random.
You can be attacked because someone thought they saw you flash some cash in your wallet and they want it.
You can be attacked because someone thought you looked like a bitch and your phone might be worth a bit of money
You can be attacked because you walked through the wrong neighbourhood
You can be attacked because someone simply doesn't like your face
You can be attacked because you might look like a guy that fucked their girlfriend
You can be attacked because you knocked someone's drink and didn't notice or apologise
You can be attacked because they wanted to take out them losing their job on someone

The odds are not quite the same as being struck by lightning, people get robbed and attacked at "random" every day, ultimately it isn't random, you just look weak, you have something they want or they are just pissed off.
Saying that learning to defend yourself is pointless is incredibly stupid, you are the kind of stupid who flashes his cash, posts that he is going on holiday to facebook and walks around unaware of his surroundings.
You are the type of person I don't feel sorry for when they get attacked.
>>
>>17388700
>i have been doing boxing for about a year, and i done jeek kune do for a few years
Glad to hear it, keep up the good work
>how effective is boxing for self defence?
Incredibly effective, if you can throw a proper punch (lifting the heel, putting body weight into it etc) then you already have an edge on your opponent whose experience consists of recently winning more street fights than he lost. You will know how to defend yourself from a punch and you will have an idea of when your opponent is going to throw a punch (usually by winding their arm back first), you have the means to end the fight before they can land a punch.
>i have never been in a proper fight
You are doing something right then, maybe you are lucky, maybe you know not to flash your valuables, maybe you don't look like a bitch, maybe you have a reputation, I don't know, but it is working for you, stick to your training and stay in a decent condition.

You mentioned that you do JKD, can I ask what sort of stuff you have covered? are you doing eskrima? are you learning wing chun stuff? are you learning kicks? grappling?
You must be alright at it if you have kept training at it for a few years.
>>
>>17388241
Why not both?

Now someone link some god dam videos already
>>
Boxing, what you want is boxing.
Trust me, people swear to god they want the hands then I proceed to pummel them with excellent form and strength.
>>
>>17388715
>You mentioned that you do JKD, can I ask what sort of stuff you have covered
i stoped doing jkd about a year ago, when i started boxing. i didnt do much wing chun stuff or graples. i mostly done kicks and boxing combinations. I got incredibly good at kicking from it and my boxing from it was alright. JKD is good but i wanted to do boxing because it fitted in with my life style more, and i wanted to get into the actual sport of boxing.

one of my fears with boxing in regards to self defense is that i might break my hand if i punch someone in the face. My coach tells me my punches are good. I think i could knock someone out pretty easily. i think because the jeet kune do i went to taught alot of boxing, when i started going to the boxing gym, i was already somewhat experience. thanks for the reply and everything anyway, i appreciate it.
>>
>>17388753
>i stoped doing jkd about a year ago
That's unfortunate, but by the sounds of it you were not at a great dojo.

You are very unlikely to break your hand if you hit someone, you probably know how to hit someone without leaving a finger or thumb extended or your wrist bent.
If you want to condition your knuckles try push ups on your first 2 knuckles, start on carpet then progress to grass then hard floors, but by the sounds of things you are on the right track, even if you did get into a fight and break your hand, you won't feel it for a good while afterwards because of the adrenaline.

Good luck getting further into boxing as a sport, don't forget to keep your conditioning up and remember that drinking alcohol will seriously impair your ability to progress.
Don't worry about if you could knock someone out in a regular fight, any fight outside of your boxing club will have an opponent who:
>hasn't trained in any form for more than 6 months
>won fights against smaller people
>doesn't know how to keep his guard up
>doesn't have a plan for if he gets hit
>can't throw a proper punch
>will probably try to jump and hit you at some point
>will probably try grabbing your shoulder/collar as an attack
When you hit that guy in the chin or jaw, he will be knocked out, just watch out for a flailing arm that was going to try and hit you as he hits the deck.
>>
Krav maga, muay Thai and escrima. Maybe Russian combat sambo. Basically any system of fighting can be considered a martial art OP, but these are easily the most brutal and direct. Krav maga is for Israeli special forces, muay Thai was designed so that unarmed people could take down fully armed soldiers, and Russian combat sambo is a fighting system that's basically just takedowns and brutality. Each of these styles can basically be boiled down to "take that fucker out and quick".

You can't do this by yourself though. Find a gym that teaches these things.
>>
crouch, move a little forward while crouching then move forward and punch

there you go, you have a hadouken

now spam that shit and dragon punch every time someone jumps over your fireball
>>
I worked as a doorman for a little while and the guy I worked with taught me something that works like a fucking charm with 9 out of 10 ornery people.

>kick them once in the shin, really fucking hard
>when they double over reflexively to grab at their shin, kick them again in the hand really fucking hard
>this will take the fight out of most people as you've probably just broken a finger or two
>if they try to square up again, just kick them in the head hard enough to shove them over
>wear steel toe or hard cap work boots for maximum effect

Most of the time, street fights are just pissing contests between 2 dudes. Doing what I just described will shock the shit out of them and dissuade them from retaliation- because as far as they know, you just took them down with 2-3 quick and vicious kicks. It's simple and effective, and scary to the person it's happening to.

Forget this strategy if you're not very strong, afraid to hurt someone, or if there are multiple people. This is for a 1 on 1 encounter only, not if you're getting jumped.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.