[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I sell my violin? I played the violin of out passion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: P4290206.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
P4290206.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
Should I sell my violin?

I played the violin of out passion from I was 15 until I was 19. After that, I started getting discouraged and put it away. I never really got that good. Now, as I'm 23, I realize this "playing music" thing isn't mine, as it's not something I'm motivated to do unless I force myself to, rationally. Ultimately, I'm more of a thinker and prefer writing music.

Still, the violin has had a profound impact on my life. It has impacted my composing in positive ways and it has also become a part of my identity, being part of my life for nearly 5 years. I'm a "guy who knows how the violin works", if you get what I mean. Needless to say, it has great sentimental value to me. Its monetary worth is about $2,500.

Now I'm moving to another town to study composition and production at a university. My rent is high, so I'm not going to make much money to save up to buy things. It will take some years before I can buy all the stuff I want and/or need. This includes a new PC, an electrical piano and equipment for music production (microphone and monitors). As mentioned, I would have to save up money for 1 year to afford a fraction of these things, and possibly 2-3 to get everything. By that time, my studies will have ended.

I'd be grateful for any perspectives on this dilemma. It needs to be said it is in part motivated by my longing for a new computer. One that is a good deal better than the minimum of what I strictly need, as I already have one like that. So I'm impatient and I «want to buy things». Please take this rash mindset of mine into consideration, however, also remember how these new things will also benefit me in my studies. So there's definetily a mix of rationality and emotions pulling me in both directions, which makes it hard for me to see clearly either way.

(1/2)
>>
File: P4290208.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
P4290208.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
>>17388067
(2/2)

I think it's safe to say that I won't pick up the violin again, and even if by some miracle I did, I would never get to the level where I'd be able to play it in a way that directly (as opposed to indirectly, as described) would support my career. Still, it does feel wrong to sell something as nice, high value and everlasting as a violin for simple technology that will eventually stop working.

So, should I sell it, or hang in there?
>>
Just hang in there op. If you really are devoting yourself to music, keep it.

I dont undertsand whybyou are so adamant about NOT playing it anymore though. Just play some etudes every now and then
>>
>>17388067
Don't sell it OP, you'll regret it. Sentimental value is irreplaceable. It's a beautiful violin–I'm sure you can find other things to sell to save up for what you want.
>>
If I were you I wouldn't sell it, but don't have any good wisdom to share regarding your dilemma.
You'll find a solution
>>
Shouldn't sell. If you are having money troubles you shouldn't look into selling something like that but instead look to increasing your income or decreasing expenses. Violin will have sentimental value, it's a nice decorative element for your house and you can use it to get mad pussy.
>>
It seems like you've already made up your mind, but you're looking for the push you need to let go. I suppose it comes down to how you view "sentimental value". I know a lot of people prefer to keep things around for the sake of nostalgia. Myself, I find there is a certain beauty that comes with letting things go. The only thing you're giving up is the violin itself. You aren't giving up a part of you, or the memories you have. In a sense you are moving on, and in return starting a new part of your life.
>>
>>17388080
I think that if I really wanted to play an instrument for performance, I would've have practiced and played instruments "automatically", however, it has turned into a thing where the only thing that makes me keep on playing is the logical idea that I "should" play, not that I want to play. It might even be the case that I find playing instruments boring even, but I'm not sure... It's not always the case, but most of the time it is. The joy I get from playing instruments don't weigh up for the tedium, and when push comes to shove, I'd rather read a book at this point in my life than get up and concentrate on sensing sound waves in physical reality. The motivation to do it just isn't there.

>>17388337
The truth is I'd rather not sell it, but I want to sell it, if you get what I mean. I want the money, but I will cost me a lot. The way you put it is very nice though. I will keep it in mind.

>>17388329
I guess this is the most logical thing to do. I have considered having a part-time job, but it would take a lot of time away from schoolwork. I'm undecided about it. I hate doing repetitive "hard" work with a passion.
>>
I would keep it, if it's a high qualtiy violin. Violins are good investments and their value might increase over time. Also I don't know, but for two years I was like minded as you and never thought I would ever touch that thing again. Now I see myself practicing every second day. Keep it, look for different stuff to sell.
>>
>>17388505
>the only thing that makes me keep on playing is the logical idea that I "should" play, not that I want to play

had this too, it's gone now and I get episodes of real desire to play every now and then. I think you just have to find that one song that you feel and you are hooked.
>>
>>17388510
>Violins are good investments and their value might increase over time

Not really, no. Except for older, very high quality, hand crafted violins, the value is not going to appreciate significantly enough compared to investing the money. There is also the risk of loss.

Instrument manufacturing is such that it's easy to get a fairly inexpensive violin that produces a high quality sound.

Main reason I wouldn't sell if I were OP is because he's not exactly showing a lot of financial responsibility here. "Oh, I want stuff that I can't afford, but I could liquidate my violin and buy things that I don't really need." That's fucking stupid.

Otherwise, I think the best solution is to sell the violin, buy only those things that are essential for the education (and I really hope there's a plan to use that education in some way that has practical value to OP's life) and save the rest of the money as an emergency fund.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.