[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do when you have absolutely nothing in common with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: hanging-desktop-suicide.png (248KB, 2048x2135px) Image search: [Google]
hanging-desktop-suicide.png
248KB, 2048x2135px
What do you do when you have absolutely nothing in common with virtually everyone you meet? Especially with the opposite sex?

Been struggling with this for ten years now. In-and-out of places for the first before giving up and staying at home and drinking multiple times a week. Regardless of what club, bar, meet-up groups, hang-outs, Facebook pages, forum posts, etc. I just can't find people who have enough things in common to base relationships on; regardless if we're speaking romantically or just plain friendships. Whether I feel I have nothing in common with them. Or, in most cases, they feel that way.
>>
Hint: Most everyone disagrees with most everyone else on fundamental levels.
Most everyone merely attempts to interface in ways that avoid those disagreements.
Stop deluding yourself into thinking you're special in any way.
>>
File: laughing ez.png (14KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
laughing ez.png
14KB, 242x209px
try to alive stayeztubsha
>>
>>17387536
And yet they constantly drop you because of those disagreements. Hrmm...
>>
I'm a hipster and I'm very intrigued by the interests that you have, which no one else can relate to. Care to share them?
>>
>>17387567
Twentieth-century art house cinema like Bergman, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Buñuel, as well as current auteurs like Leigh, Bier, Haneke; plus collecting books on the photography of their cinematographers. Neoclassical music particularly from Scandinavian countries like Iceland (and Icelandic music in general). Classic sci-fi literature from foreign countries like the Strugatsky Brothers; and classic literature from Eastern Europe in general such as Lem. Virtually no TV shows to remark of aside from older British sitcoms on Hulu or Netflix. And I've been recently getting into chiaroscuro paintings.
>>
>>17387579
There are lots of people with at least some of those interests, but you have to hunt them out. They are more likely to be at an art cinema than a party bar, more likely in the smaller-dealers corner of a com con than the Star Trek aisle, and so on.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't kill you to broaden your tastes and interests. If you like Fellini and Bergman you'll like classic Woody Allen, and if you like that you'll like other American stylists. It may seem like a million miles from Lem to Stephen King, but it really isn't. The wider you're prepared to spread your conversational net, the more people worth talking (and listening) to you'll find.
>>
>>17387559
is that "hmmm" you doubling down on your bullshit or you realizing your mistake?
>>
>>17387607
>They are more likely to be at an art cinema than a party bar
Yeah, but I usually have to bring at least $100 in cash just to go to them. And the only art cinemas here are also bars/lounges.

>If you like Fellini and Bergman you'll like classic Woody Allen, and if you like that you'll like other American stylists.
I don't like American cinema that much. But I do enjoy the Allen, Reichardt, Malick, Anderson, and the classics from time-to-time.

>It may seem like a million miles from Lem to Stephen King, but it really isn't. The wider you're prepared to spread your conversational net, the more people worth talking (and listening) to you'll find.
Don't really like King, sorry. And whenever I do try to broaden my tastes, I just end up getting stuff I'm not really into. :/
>>
>>17387579
do you actually think that's all you're interested in? that'd be pretty fucked up. find some shit that's only ok to talk to stranger about. I'm most interested in reptiles and insects and have not talked to someone with 1/10th my knowledge or enthusiasm in years, but I get by socially because I'm comfortable talking about things that are only mildly interesting. if you like watching sports you could try that, I don't and feel like it'd be pretty useful
>>
>>17387607
>try broadening your interests and conversation net
Yeah, but what if he ends up not actually being interested in those, no matter how hard he tries? You shouldn't have to fake those things or change yourself for the sake of others. You're essentially throwing yourself away doing that.

>>17387617
You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>17387628
>do you actually think that's all you're interested in? that'd be pretty fucked up.
They're just the only things that do something for me. Other stuff I either don't like, or walk away feeling nothing for. That's always been the case for me.

>find some shit that's only ok to talk to stranger about.
Like what? Most other stuff I tried just never hold my interest for more than a season.
>>
Like those are your hobbies, OP, and I respect them, but it can sound mad pretentious in a normal setting. Not trying to be rude, but like I'm an actor, I hang around movie buffs, I watch movies and stuff, but if you dropped all that around me, it would be like a red flag unless you offered to let me borrow one.

Like sorry, probably coming off really rude in this, but if you feel like you're not connecting with people, try and expand your horizons. Like are you into very niche cinema only? If you don't have interest in expanding into other cinema, pick up something new, like a sport, or language, or books or a musical instrument or something.

I get on great with people because I always am looking for something new to try, so like when people speak, I'm very interested in what they're doing because I want to do it and they take it as an interest in them. So, I'm always well liked.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.