[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Purchased some PET refill bottles from Muji to make my bath room

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: SUB_126.png (179KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
SUB_126.png
179KB, 720x405px
Purchased some PET refill bottles from Muji to make my bath room a little cleaner. In reading about plastics recently I found warnings that PET should not be heated, and can leach harmful chemicals.

These bottles are stored in my bathroom near direct sunlight. Am I screwed?
>>
You're probably already dying.
Seriously though, toss em if your concerned
>>
>>17381448
my concern may be misinformed, see anti vaccinating parents. i'd rather get some informed opinions.
>>
I found this online

Can PET bottles that are left in a hot car or put in the microwave release dioxins?

PET is the clear, lightweight form of polyester that is extruded or molded into plastic bottles and containers for packaging foods and beverages, personal care products, and many other consumer products.No. PET does not contain dioxins, nor can it produce dioxins, and no dioxins are created in the manufacturing of PET. Dioxins are a group of compounds sometimes formed by high-temperature combustion (over 750 degrees F.) and certain types of industrial processes involving chlorine. Dioxins can't be created without the presence of chlorine, and PET does not contain chlorine. Consequently, dioxins can't be produced when a PET container is heated or microwaved, exposed to sunlight, or washed and reused (all urban myths)
>>
>>17381455
I found that on http://www.petresin.org/faq.asp

might be a biased source but it seems reliable to me. I don't think there's any real danger bro
>>
>>17381457
what I found was
> Studies have found levels of antimony (a toxic chemical) leaching from water bottles that have been placed in heat for prolonged times. Although PETE does not contain BPA or Phthalates, it’s always best to make sure that your water bottles are not temperature abused. PETE plastic should not be reused because cleaning detergents and high temperatures can cause chemicals to leach out of the plastic. Plastic #1 is only intended for one time use.
Last sentence put me off. It's like why would Muji make something from a material if it is one time use.
>>
>>17381462
this may be in the context of food and microwavable food trays. i'm not sure if they're just trying to give idiot proof advice and making blanket statements or what.
>>
http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2012/EM/c2em10917d

At realistic temperatures of 40 and 60 °C antimony concentration in deionised water in bottles remained below the EU acceptable limit even after 48 h exposure. The limit was exceeded for most exposures at 80 °C. Concentration of antimony in some bottled contents exceeded the EU limit after 11 months of storage at room temperature. Bottle aging and increase in bottle volume were associated with decreased migration of antimony from bottles.
>>
>>17381462
They had these two questions in response to that

Why are trace amounts of antimony compounds found in PET bottles? Is this safe?

Very small amounts of antimony compounds are used in the production of both PET and glass. Antimony oxide is typically used as the catalyst in making PET, which is chemically bound into the polymer at very low levels. Over time and with extended exposure to heat, trace amounts of antimony may migrate into water or other beverages bottled in PET. Laboratory tests on the migration of antimony compounds from PET have consistently found these levels far below all safety thresholds - typically less than 1/40th of the World Health Organization's daily safe-consumption level for drinking water.

I've heard that a hot environment can create harmful levels of antimony oxide in PET-bottled water. Is that true? Should I be concerned?

There is no reason for concern. No studies have found any toxic amounts of antimony in PET-bottled water or containers. Unfortunately, there has been some consumer misunderstanding of studies showing higher-than-normal levels of antimony when water bottled in PET was exposed to extreme heat (176 degrees F) for extended periods of time. Even then, the highest measured levels paralleled established safe levels for antimony in drinking water. In short, the very small amounts of antimony that might be found in PET-bottled water are of no concern and do not pose any health risk.
>>
>>17381467
so if you're replacing the contents of the bottle every few months (i just put moisturiser and shower gel in these) i should be okay?
>>
>>17381495
Let's go with yes. I'm not a scientist. But it's not like your drinking it... Unless :p
>>
>>17381507
thanks anon
>>
>>17381447
>I found warnings that PET should not be heated, and can leach harmful chemicals.
As long as you're not heating it above 400°C you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.