[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many hours should I take in a year? Im not really sure how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How many hours should I take in a year? Im not really sure how college works and i need to fill out a 4 year schedule plan for a class I want to take.

Also why is it people say not to take early classes? It doesnt seem that hard to wake up early.

Is there any general advice anyone can give me?
>>
File: image.jpg (6KB, 155x155px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6KB, 155x155px
>>17376975
15/semester is the norm, so 14-16 will work with most degrees
>it doesn't seem hard to wake up in the morning
>>
>>17376999
I have to wake up every other day to work out at 5am with the class im taking. I dont see why 8am classes is a big deal. Should i really avoid them?
>>
12-15 credit hours per semester is how it works at my university to be full-time. So I second the 14-16 credit hour range.
>>
>>17377002
I guess it depends. When I was in a community college, they weren't too bad, but then again I wasn't staying up at night studying. Now that I'm in a top university, I refuse to take a class before 10:00am again
>>
>>17376975
Dude don't sweat it. I didn't have a plan until midway through my sophomore year. Even then, things changed a lot because classes get cancelled, one class switches with another, life happens, etc.

More important is to MAKE SURE THAT ANY CLASSES THAT ARE ONLY OFFERED ONCE A YEAR YOU TAKE.

If you have classes that are part of a series, for example OChem, make sure to take the first part and follow through. Don't take breaks on that. I had a friend who took a year break from Linear Algebra I to Linear Algebra 2. Shit was not pretty.

I would enroll at minimum and go from there. I was able to do 17-18 units a quarter (I never did semester) and it never fazed me. Some people I know struggle with the minimum 12.

Focus on your major requirements (once you're done switching a few times and finally settle) because GEs are always offered in the summer. Plus, they're more fun in summer anyways.
>>
>>17377131
Well i only plan to take blow off classes this semester because I have to skip the next due to army stuff. Would it be possible for me to take classes all year round? Like every fall, spring, summer? I dont really like taking extended vacations.
>>
>>17377475
I'm the same way. When I start something I just need to finish it.

You definitely can. It costs extra, but if you enroll full time in summer you'll get financial aid.

Be careful about blow off classes. If it's a good university then no class should be a blow off class.
>>
>>17377477
Interesting I didnt know they cared about which semester you took for financial aid
>>
>>17377489
They only care that you're enrolled ful time (some schools push it to at least half).
I would have graduated a year early had I not changed majors twice. Still only took 4 years.
>>
>>17377495
Whyd you change twice?
>>
>>17377516
Started in cell bio but i may as well have been undeclared. I just did it because I had nothing else to latch on to.

Switched to neuroscience because I've always liked psychology, chemistry, biology, etc. I still like them, but science labs are not for me. O Chem and bio labs were stressful and boring so I switched to math because it's still science, but it has no labs like bio. It helped that I stayed in the sciences and went to summer school. I also had to take extra classes (more than three a quarter) for most of my last two years, but it was fine. Nothing was worse than 4 hard science classes with 10 hours of lab each week.

Coasted on through after that. Even when i took 4 upper sivs at a time, it was all amtter of responsibility and time management. I wasn't working though and that helped tremendously.
>>
>>17377546
What are labs like?
You only take 3 classes a quarter?? I thought it was by semester?
Ok seriously wtf are labs anyway?
>>
Don't you have an advisor, they should help you decide even if you are undeclared
>>
>>17377585
Not him, but labs consists of experiments where you write down data and usually go home and complete your lab report that consists of various questions pertaining to the experiment. These labs can be easy as fuck and take you 30 minutes, or difficult and last up to 2+ hours.
>>
>>17377585
Quarter is 10 weeks so you have classes often. Some schools do semester which is like 16 weeks (around there). Three classes is enough depending on the classes. Ordinary and Partial differential equations gets nasty at the end of it.

Labs depend kn the subject. Physics labs a chill with you just measuring the force, speed, or whatever of something, doing so many trials and then calculating some unknown.

Chem (intro) is pretty fun and you just learn basic techniques like titration and spectroscopy. OChem is 4 hours of improve. Anything can and will happen.

Bio is mind-numbingly dull. For one of them i actually played video games with a friend while we waited for bugs to breathe.

Neuro was cool because we worked with sheep brains. The stench of formaldehyde was so strong and I never ate lunch on lab days.

Cs labs are what youd expect. Failing at code for 3 hours and then figuring out you had a semicolon where it shouldn't be. It's fun in a masochistic kind of way.

Stats labs are the most comfy. Just sit there run regressions and graph shit. Excel is the life.

They vary so much. It really just depends on what you're doing.
>>
>>17377621
That sounds like typical labs from my AP bio class.

>>17377620
I need the paper work finished soon and my orientation date is a week before school starts. I also live 5hrs away and cant schedule a meeting with one.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.