[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a successful retail middle manager getting ready to earn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

I am a successful retail middle manager getting ready to earn a Regional Vice President position. My wife is originally from another country and she has contacts there as a result. Her nephew recently approached her and asked if we'd like to work with the largest coffee supplier in that country as a middle man to sell their coffee they'd export to the U.S. I'd sell it, get paid, and then pay the supplier their cut. While I am very experienced and good at sales, I know nothing about the logistics, USDA laws, or general business of coffee wholesale. It sounds like something I could do on the side and I have been waiting for something I could do to set out on my own. I am setting up a call with the owner of the business, but I am at a disadvantage because I know nothing about the business. Any advice?
>>
>>17374312
>successful
>retail

Don't kid yourself.
>>
>>17374334
I make over six figures and about to make even more so I consider that successful. You are welcome to a differing interpretation. That said, you didn't offer any worthwhile advice.
>>
>>17374340
If you honestly can't figure out what you need to do between now and your business call on your own then you success up until this point has been due to a fluke and will be leaving you shortly
>>
>>17374340
I guess look up the general import laws of usa ?
I know nothing about coffee but what exatcly is the idea here?
You set up an import bussiness then resell the coffee dorect to the local market or are you literally just the middleman for delivering the coffee ?
>>
>>17374312
Just treat it like any other commodity.

Coffee is normally branded by export nation. What country is the coffee originating from?

Find out the rates of the exports, can you compete with those rates? Can you undercut a supplier to local/regional shops and take their market share?

I would start by researching a regional market and look for potential competitors who are dropping the ball, or who are doing something you can improve on vastly. Still, at the end of the day, people are only willing to pay what they are willing to pay, and no amount sweet talking is going to convince someone to pay more for your coffee versus your competition.

I'd undercut the fuck out of someone and drive them out of business, but that generally means a lot of losses you have to take to grab market share.

I guess my advice is learn your product, find a market (retail, wholesale, coffee shops?) and make a move.
>>
>>17374355
this guy mad jelly

OP doesnt sound like that business plan makes a lot of sense as you are pretty well off now and know nothing about the business of international middleman trade or w/e
>>
>>17374360
I would basically be the face of the coffee distributor. I would cultivate and build relationships with businesses in the USA and sell them a unique product at a mark up from what I get it for. I pay for the product only when I have it and charge a sizable mark-up. The idea is I protect my source as much as possible so that I cannot be cut out of the exchange.
>>
sounds like you'd need to hire someone that does know that business. isn't this kind of thing why we have to put up with the horror of LinkedIn?
>>
>>17374355
You could be right. That said, one thing I have learned in life is to be humble and that you can learn things from unlikely places.
>>
>>17374366
My thought is to go after local coffee shops with discerning, hipster type guests. I currently sell higher end products and have always had a knack for speaking that language, even though I did not come from wealth. The product itself originates from Indonesia and it sounds like the supplier is trying to go international to increase their own profits. I have an "in" thanks to familial loyalty and the supplier approached her because they know she resides in the US
>>
>>17374367
I'm not jelly I'm just stating the facts. If you seriously need to be told "learn your shit and have a plan" then you're a hopeless cause as far as business is concerned.
>>
>>17374367
Yeah, I get it. I guess the appeal is I wouldn't leave my current job so it'd be a separate revenue stream. My dream in life has always been to be an autonomous mover and shaker so this is a very alluring prospect to me. That said, I don't want my ego to sell me on something that would be financially damaging.
>>
>>17374395
I think that's obvious. Maybe some specifics would better illustrate your point? I don't mind assholes with a smarter than everyone in the room approach, but at least complete the act by actually saying something smart.
>>
>>17374389
That's all fine and dandy, but you need to make sure before you set off on this path that your supplier is willing to take a beating with their profits until you can grab a sizeable market share. If they aren't willing to make an investment, then you're wasting your time, and that markup you are going on about disappear with your first couple of clients.

You have to do your research on competition to understand how you can undercut them and make them wihdraw from the market. I don't know any person with substantial business interests that gives up market share easily.
>>
>>17374389
>local coffee shops with discerning, hipster type guests.
>largest coffee supplier in that country
>Indonesia
nope nope nope
>>
>>17374414
Solid advice, thank you.
>>
>>17374415
First thing I thought. This particular blend is supposedly made a little differently which is where the competitive advantage would come from. Basically, the beans are digested and shit out by animals giving them a different taste and are considered a delicacy. I don't even drink coffee and have a ton of research I need to do, which is obvious. I just heard about this today so I am still in the very early stages. They are sending me a bunch of free samples this week.
>>
>>17374412
Nobody here is going to know any "specifics" on coffee wholesale you dummy. You have to have the hustle to figure this shit out for yourself because nobody else is going to do it for you.

Illustrate my point? Sure. For example, have you done your research on the company in question yet? That's probably a good place to start.

Have you actually done hard market research on these "hipster" types that you expect to buy your shit, or are you just banking on some vague stereotype you've formed in your head?

Have you put any thought into how you'll appeal to them above other already established coffee places in the area? I hope not if you haven't yet done the above and figured out who it is you're trying to appeal to and what exactly it is you'll be selling them.

That's two examples of "specific" advice I can give, but my point is if you really needed to hear it from me then quit while you're ahead because there is always going to be another conundrum around the corner waiting to trip you up. It's not about being "smart" its about being a lazy thinker - someone who needs everything laid out in front of them step-by-step - vs. being someone with the drive and hustler mindset to figure out WHAT THEY NEED TO FIGURE OUT on their own.
>>
>>17374451
I am not looking to have everything laid out which is where you are assuming I am looking for general advice. I just learned of the opportunity today and have already begun said research on the company in question. I already have several ideas on how to appeal and what my niche would be. I already have contacts and thoughts on how to proceed. Sometimes it's good to get advice from others though, anon. I have always hustled and succeeded under my own steam and smarts, but this is new and I consider approaching those with differing knowledge as research and even prudent.
>>
>>17374469
Alright. Fair enough. This line
>but I am at a disadvantage because I know nothing about the business
triggered me because those are words that should never be coming out of a serious entrepreneur's mouth. But clearly I took the words in question too literally. Best of luck to you anon.
>>
>>17374371
>I pay for the product only when I have it

"It," being the product? The coffee? Or "it" being the commission for the sale? Salesmen generally don't own the things they're selling. They get a commission for the sales they make, but they generally don't buy the product and then sell it.

Doing so means a very real risk of being stuck with a bunch of product you can't sell. Sometimes it's because nobody wants it at the price you're selling it, sometimes it's because it's poor product and nobody wants it at almost any price, and sometimes it's because there's something wrong or unsafe with the product and so it is literally illegal to sell it.

There are still salesmen who are willing to do this, because sometimes there are vendors manufacturing a product that is in such high demand or sells for such a high profit margin that the cash flow is worth the risk.

But the situation as you describe it is really only best for the vendor. They're telling you you'd be a salesmen, but really you'd be their customer. Once you paid for the product, their worries are over. On their books, it's sold product. Their customer is you, and you'd better believe they'll be making money off the transaction. You'd be taking all the risk, too. If everything goes tits up, it's not their problem; it's yours.

Tell them that it seems like a great opportunity, and you're absolutely interested, provided they pay you on commission, and at the time of the sale.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.