[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/. How do I stop being clingy/possessive of someone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1467217383783.png (314KB, 393x920px) Image search: [Google]
1467217383783.png
314KB, 393x920px
Hey /adv/. How do I stop being clingy/possessive of someone?

There is this guy I met online that I know for a couple of years now, we have some feelings towards each other and would probably be together if not for the distance.

He's a great guy and all, but I've found myself getting depressed and anxious when he's away for several days (he's rather introverted).

I know my feelings are stupid and I really shouldn't care this much about someone I only know online, so how do I stop myself from feeling so clingy/jealous?
>>
Clingy girls are cute. Wish someone cared about me that much.

Sorry anon, it's hard to advise you. You care about him but you want to care less?
>>
>>17347445
Go out more, find things that you enjoy doing, meet new people. You feel that way because it seems like he is what you are spending your time thinking about. If you had other things and other people to keep you occupied you wouldn't care as much.
>>
>>17347540
>Clingy girls are cute.
Haven't dated much, have you?

OP, you just need to focus your attention elsewhere like reasonable anon >>17347545
mentioned. Clingy/possessive people lack a certain level of self-worth/self-esteem/self-confidence and are typically afraid whoever can/will easily move on.

Find things to help build you up.
>>
>>17347557
>Clingy/possessive people lack a certain level of self-worth/self-esteem/self-confidence and are typically afraid whoever can/will easily move on.

Male here, this is my problem. I neglected my friendships after college and I just had a girlfriend that had to move for work. You need to get out and make friends. It's what I'm doing. I missed out on a lot of shit by not maintaining my friendships.
>>
>>17347540
I think it's more pathetic rather than cute. But yes I want to care less/not be dependent on him for my happiness.

>>17347545
>>17347557
This sounds like good advice. I really have been neglecting myself for a while now, and I've only recently tried to take steps towards self-improvement, and I think I still lack sense of self-worth like you mentioned. I will try going out and doing more things/meeting new people, try to build my character. Thank you anons.
>>
>>17347445
It's hard to reason your way out of an emotional response. As you say,
>I know my feelings are stupid and I really shouldn't care this much about someone I only know online

>I've found myself getting depressed and anxious when he's away for several days
You are aware of your response and you are trying to improve. I think that's admirable.

I would like to ask you a couple of questions.
Why are you bringing your issues to random people on the internet? Don't you have a support network (family, friends, etc.)?

>I know my feelings are stupid
What's up with this self-attack? Your emotions are there to help you, you know.

The only advice i can give you, based on what you have written, is:
what >>17347545 said
Also, read up on attachment theory. Try to see where you fit in. That might give you some clarity since you like to intellectualize things. Panic might be a 'reasonable' emotional response depending on your background.
>>
>>17347445
Same problem. I think I annoyed my girl with how clingy I am.

>>17347915

Im the OP
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.