[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i have a major life decision coming at me full speed, and i was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1403661578471.jpg (129KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
1403661578471.jpg
129KB, 700x560px
i have a major life decision coming at me full speed, and i was hoping to get some help with making the right decision on what to do. so:

i'm 19, i currently live in a small town in california. my friend group are all in a band but music was never really my strong suit so we just hang out and i help them with art. anyways, they're all moving down to Los Angeles this fall and they told me there was a spot for me. But i'm currently enrolled in community college for one more year at least, with scholorships and what not. this would be an easy choice, to just stay here and finish up college, if not for my awful step dad, who had wanted me out of the house since i was 16. he said he's going to be drafting up a legal document stating i will pay 600$ a month to live in this bedroom or i leave for good. he said it will be official next june, which is luckily right after i finish next year of college. i work at a retail store and generally make ~$700 a month part-time. my major is graphic design but i love film too, so not sure yet about that.

so my options, as i see them are currently to
>finish next semesters here in lockdown with shitty step dad and family, core friends gone
>rush out right after semester ends to avoid paying insane rent
>jump right into LA life, transfer jobs, apply for colleges there over summer
or
>leave with them this fall, cancel winter classes
>apply to community college in LA
>settle in and start spring semester
OR
>stay here, finish CC
>stay here but move out, find random roommate in my town
>graduate and move to a place of my choice, leave friends forever (i'm honestly not a huge fan of LA, it's hot, humid , insane traffic and it's kinda dangerous)

i've never moved out or anything so i'd love any advice you guys could give me on this decision. if you have any other questions about the situation i'd be happy to answer if it will help the result. thanks
>>
This one is all you, buddy. Nobody can give you advice on this type of crossroads really.

I can give you this advice: college degrees in things like graphic design are 10000% useless. If you want to do an art, pick english as your major and continue doing art while acquiring a useful degree.
>>
Idk what bumblefuck town you live in, but I expect LA should be a step up above in job market and wage compared to where you live. I dont know myself since i live in the east coast, but still, Los Angeles. Check out the opportunities now and see about transferring your credits to a LA CC.

Of course, calculate hard on your budget, rent, potential income and more. Work in restaurant if you can. Tip is great and shift meals eases costs on food
>>
If you love film then LA's the place to be. But you need hustle.
>>
>>17294796
really? i heard the opposite, i heard english degrees were pretty worthless but architecture, design etc were ok. i'd be fine with doing it as a side project, i'm already pretty experienced with it.

>>17294808
it probably is, yeah, but i've gotten used to the small, quiet town life and a huge city kinda scares me i guess. and yeah i'll probably need to switch to a restaurant soon, i used to work at one but i got sick of smelling like food and eating too much so i decided i'd give retail a try. less stress, but also less pay...

>>17294857
hustle is something i'm working on, i'm a natural procrastinator so i've been trying to move past it by forcing myself to work on projects and school etc. it's hard being in a comfy spot and pushing yourself to do more in my experience
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.