[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I'm gonna go to college in fall and wanted to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

File: 1463450939013.jpg (145KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1463450939013.jpg
145KB, 1440x810px
Hey /adv/, I'm gonna go to college in fall and wanted to know you you guys have any tips before I get there
>>
>>17267002
study hard, secure a good internship, network and make friends with as many people as you can.

i just graduated and i can't find a job yet. i don't even have friends i can call up to help me out, because the small amount of friends i made were so insecure and anxious that they failed getting jobs and would stab me in the back for one if they had the opportunity...
>>
Go to class.
>>
>>17267008
This. It sounds like a duh kind of tip, but it's very easy to get lazy and not go to lectures. Just go. You will regret not keeping up 10/10 times.
>>
>>17267002
Talk to everyone. Go to events. Find a way to bring a car. I fucking hated not having a car
>>
>>17267002
Discipline yourself. This isn't free time . This cost a shit ton of money. As other anon said , go the fuck to class.

Take notes every day no matter what.
Read the material beforehand
Do homework first before going out.
No drinking or partying before test
Stick to a routine
Get good sleep every night
Treat this as the most important job you have. Do not fuck around
Find student groups and societies that support your degree path. Join them asap.
Don't let your professor group you with slackers
Get to know the TA if there is one
If you don't have a bicycle, get one
If you have a car, take care of it.
Always sell your textbooks after you're done with your class. Don't sell them to the bookstore. Post on Craigslist or put up an ad. The bookstore will cheat you.
>>
Not op here but I'm starting in the spring semester and was wondering how far behind will I be in establishing friends and stuff like that since most people start in the fall and form their own friend circles and such.. I'm kinda worried that highschool will happen all over again and I'll basically remain friendless..
>>
>>17267008
>>17267016
For sure, thats basically a no brainer

>>17267029
What did not having a car limit you to?

>>17267039
Woah thanks a lot for that seriously, half of those points are going to be hard to do since I'm a big procrastinator so I feel like its gonna take a while to adjust, but thanks for the tips man

>>17267007
I'll try to get out and make friends since I wasnt really that type of person in hs
>>
>>17267050
If you guys need to know, I'm majoring in bio and am going to go to med school
>>
>>17267049
For me, college didn't "start" until my sophomore year. A lot people drop out after their first year/semester and the whole vibe changes once you're in the swing of things.
Don't worry too much about it.
>>
>>17267050
It will take time to adjust. Just don't get comfortable thinking you have a lot of time. This isn't highschool anymore. No one will hold your hand or let you waffle on assignments.

Procrastination is a bitch. Don't let it make you it's bitch, however. You need to think about this seriously. This is big money being spent to ensure that you have the foundation to make a real life for yourself. Do you want to sling burger or work at shitty telemarketing jobs? No. You fucking dont.

You're gonna be distracted by the freedom and the lack of parental structure. Do not be fooled by this. This fucks you up soooo much.

Lastly, ditch things and habits that foster procrastination. Or limit their influence. Video games, notably mmo's , moba's and fps's are gonna be a hardcore problem . You cannot succeed and be a ...what...fulltime raider or work on your competitive twitch reflexes . It won't happen

By critical of your choices . If you're not careful, you're going to be the biggest problem hindering your own success
>>
>>17267050
>What did not having a car limit you to?
Sometimes you need to cruise the city at 3 am to keep your shit straight.
>>
>>17267053
>I'm majoring in bio and am going to go to med school
>pre-med
Good luck lmao, you're going to need it.
>>
>>17267070
Already started to ditch video games since I graduated, its been going good, but I'm starting to get the idea of playing again since its summer, thanks for thr advice tho, I'll take note of it

>>17267076
Oh nice, hopefully I can find a nice and cheap car since im not going to be working in college.
>>
>>17267093
Oh man tell me about it anon, thanks for the support tho lmao
>>
If you smoke weed, you need to get the phrase "too high to go to class" out of your vocabulary.

You need to network.

You need friends who are a good influence on you and who push you to improve, not crabs who will drag you into the bucket.

Abuse every scholarship and internship program you can, and start immediately.

Do your damned readings.

Use the library.

Sleep is vitally important.
>>
>>17267105
Dont smoke so I'm good.
Gonna be kind of difficult knowing which friends to trust when I make them since in hs I was with just one group of friends for basically the whole time.
I'll look into scholarships but I'm not even sure if I should start to go into an internship program yet
>>
>>17267117
If your plan is med school, then focus on that. See your career counselor if you need help. In fact, see her either way. Again, ABUSE everything they're willing to give.

Also, for you specifically, study for the MCAT. Do thousands of test prep questions. Literally thousands.
>>
>>17267053
More targeted advice for you anon.

Many years ago I worked for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota at the st. Mary's Emergency Department. I was around the doctors that contributed to the large Blue Book at the Mayo Clinic puts out every year. One of these doctors was on the medical school admission board. We got to talking one day about what sets med school applicants apart. He said that, hands down, he would take student with a good GPA who have volunteer work and showed signs of being involved in the community over a 4.0 academic GPA student with no Community involvement.

You are going to have to study hard. You're going to want at the very least, a 3.5 GPA. I strongly recommend looking at local Hospitals and Clinics to see if they offer volunteer hours. I also strongly suggest, if you have the time and money in your degree program, to take the EMT certification course. It should only take you one semester but will give you a serious Hands-On practical experience so that you really know what you're going to be getting into starting as a med student and then as a resident.

You need to make studying math and science your passion, your hubby, and what you do in your free time when you're being lazy and farting around on YouTube. The only way you're going to get through this is by saturating your self in the field through literature that you are interested in. That way, your undergraduate coursework has more meaning because you see the relation between the Baseline information that you are learning and how it is applied at a more advanced level.
>>
>>17267121
Apologies
Voice to text and 3am slurring. Hobby. Not hubby
>>
>>17267120
Download every copy of mcat for dummies and the various test prep books. It'll help. Also, start brushing up on your medical terminology and learn the shit out of your latin prefixes, suffixes, and root words
>>
>>17267120
>ABUSE everything
Oh I will anon, thank you for the advice

>>17267121
>>17267125
Wow, thanks for that info anaon, will look into volunteering asap, I just wonder how my experience is going to be, and yea I get what you mean about me being dedicated towards science and math so thank you very much for the advice
>>
>>17267129
I'll see what I can do about those copies, just dont knkw where to find them and wow, latin is a bitch so I'll have fun with that. Thanks for the advice
>>
Alright then guys I'm going to go to sleep right now so just leave whatever advice you have and I'll make sure to respond to it in the morning, thanks again everyone!
>>
For lectures:
- Actually go to your lectures
- Sit as close to the professor as possible
- Don't bring your laptop

For uni in general:
- Make friends with your advisor(s)
- Don't buy your books from the bookstore (torrent, buddy who already took class, old edition from amazon)

Life pro tips I learned the hard way:
- If you don't like your major, change asap
- Learn how to cook or abuse your dining hall privileges
- That girl isn't worth your grades in any capacity

glhf, it's actually a pretty cool time
>>
>>17267140
Look up the books on amazon. Get the titles. Search for the titles on TPB or Kickass torrents.

Alternatively, you could google search the 10 or 13 digit isbn number and find scanned pdf's of these documents. Just be careful, there's a lot of scam sites out there with false hosting
>>
>>17267140
>>17267155
DON'T pay for textbooks. literally spend HOURS of your time looking for one book online if you have to, they are so fucking expensive

no one likes leddit but heres a link that's saved me about a thousand bucks already:
/r/trackers/comments/hrgmv/tracker_with_pdfsebooks_of_college_textbooks/c1xrq44

If Amazon has your book in ebook form:
-buy it
-download it
-look for where the file is saved (amazon makes you use their kindle program for downloading/viewing books)
-save a couple copies in different places so you have a backup
-deDRM it (google search "apprentice alf deDRM calibre plugin")
-return the book on amazon

you get all your money AND the book for free. keep this method in mind for ANY site that sells ebooks, though I can only guarantee that Amazon will refund your purchase. Also if you're gonna do this a lot in a short span of time, consider getting a throwaway account and one of those Visa gift cards

good luck to you! I'll be transferring to a new college from CC this fall and I've never lived away from home so we're pretty much in the same boat
>>
>>17268283
I should mention for the Amazon method,

DO NOT RENT IT

No refunds on rentals, even if you upgrade the order to a purchase. When you try to refund that, it'll just give you the money you paid to upgrade it
>>
drop your standards, you aren't god's gift to men/women
>>
Dont get drunk between classes
>>
>>17267145
Why shoulsnt I bring my laptop? And yea, I'll try to put a lot of focus on my vrades and shit, thanks for the advice.

>>17267155
I'll try to see what I can do since I haven't really heard of this, thanks for the advice.

>>17268283
Woah thats something new, but I dont really think I'll just that method since I'd rather have the physical book, but I'll remember this when I need it and It's probably cause I'm stupid but the link didnt work for me. Thanks for the advice and good luck in your new college anon!

>>17268311
I'll make sure to remember that so thanks for the advice

>>17268321
I dont drink so I'm good but thanks for the advice
>>
>>17268451
If you bring your laptop you might become distracted with whatever but if you don't bring it you force yourself to pay attention, especially if you sit up close.
>>
>>17268451
>the link didnt work for me
sorry, I'm not sure if links to reddit are blocked, I'll try posting it here

https://www.reddit.com/r/trackers/comments/hrgmv/tracker_with_pdfsebooks_of_college_textbooks/c1xrq44

if that doesn't work highlight and copy that whole line from the /r to the end and google search it, should be the first result
>>
Make friends. I made the mistake of not doing so and ended up lonely all year
>>
Learn to fluff and bullshit properly.

I want to inject every motherfucker with sulfuric acid who puts minimum page/word limits
>>
>>17268618
You got a point there, thanks for the input

>>17268766
It works now, thank you anon

>>17268831
Well right now I have one, a few people are also coming from my hs but I feel like that wont really matter since we all have different majors

>>17268932
>Learn to fluff and bullshit properly
Teach me o mighty and powerful anon

>I want to inject every motherfucker with sulfuric acid who puts minimum page/word limits
Who doesn't, hate those fags so much
>>
>>17269235
>Teach me o mighty and powerful anon
Do not use contractions and go into autistic detail.
>>
>>17268451
Not trying to peer pressure you or anything, but why do you not drink? Have you never had a drink before or do you simply not like it?

Because if you've never had a drink before, college is a great time to start drinking, as long as you're responsible about it. Make sure you don't have class the next day and you're well prepared for your classes and you're good. Drinking at parties and whatnot can be a great way to make friends though!
>>
>>17269898
Its all good, I've just never had a drink, if I do tho, I'll make sure to be responsible just like you said, I just hope that I dont become addicted to it or anything
>>
Go to class.

Get to know career services because you need an internship.
>>
College reputations and quality widely vary. I decided on being a math major at nearing the end of my first semester. I hated all of my classes, but I enjoyed math the most. All of the teachers were terrible quality, and the students were even worse. I knew I had to get the fuck out and go to a better college, which I did, but I still suffered the effects of going to a shitty college the first time around. For me, I wish I did more Computer Science. I took the first CS course that I could take, and I hated it. In reality, I wish I had better teachers, but the shitty teacher made me not care about CS for 4 years, where I finally looked back and wished I had just stick through it. You need to make a plan on what your major might be, what kinds of electives you want to take, and find the scheduling so you will fit everything in within 4 years, else you may take more than 4 years.

In terms of study habits and those kinds of things, I find that I am myself, and that suddenly changing it is extremely hard. Yes, I should study, read the book more, etc., but that's not what I tend to do. You need to be honest with yourself and ask if you will actually follow the advice that people have already given.

The biggest issue is with employment. Literally every single person that I've talked to have told me that networking and connections is how they got their job. Without a doubt, you should be focusing on career development as soon as possible. You should immediately start talking to your college's career office. My colleges' apparently have a reputation for not having a good career office, but I've found that to be wrong. Give the office a shot before you write it off. That said, try your best to get a job. Over the summer, try to get an internship, which may turn into a job after graduation.

What I am trying to get at here, with this entire post, is to get you to think towards to future. The more you plan for the future, the better off you may end up being.
>>
Don't ever follow what your peers are doing or take advice from them on anything
it's why after college my peers are at best baristas and im just under six figures
>>
>>17267002
Don't wear sweat-pants.
Trust me on this one.
>>
>>17268321
Don't get drunk during class either.
>>
Hey OP, just wanted to emphasize extra curriculars some more. If you want to get into med school you're going to need to differentiate yourself, especially if you want to get into a good school. Everyone applying is going to have good grades, that alone isn't impressive. The EMT program sounds like a great idea, as well as volunteering at a hospital, but also consider RESEARCH. Get involved early, as early as you possibly can. Look into what professors are working on and reach out to whoever sounds interesting. Try to get published, go to conferences, do presentations, all that. It's what you do outside of class that will be the deciding factor.

Aside from that, my biggest recommendation is not to rush your way through college. If it takes you an extra year or two compared to your peers, don't worry about it. College isn't a race. Some of my own peers biggest regrets is that they did try to finish so quickly and didn't make any time for extra curriculars and their whole time wound up being more stressful than it had to be.

Also, a lot of people are complaining about how they can't find jobs and blah whatever. As for me OP, I'm on my way to grad school at one of the most prestigious universities in the world for a very competitive degree. I know what it takes to be successful, and the secret really is about being active outside of class. Generic tips like "networking" don't mean anything. What you need to do is volunteer, do research and anything else you can think of to be active in your field. The networking will come naturally if you do that.

It isn't easy to be at the top OP. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. People definitely don't get there by accident.
>>
Don't choose meme degrees such as women's studies or art.

Before choosing a major, check to see if said major is oversaturated in your area or the area you plan to move to.

Get a part time job. Doesn't matter if it's one day a week for four hours. Employers like seeing experience and won't know how long you work per week, unless you specifically tell them
>>
Start stocking up on marijuana.
>>
It's far, far easier to keep up all term long than it is to catch up once you've fallen behind. Stay on top of things, hell, stay ahead of things if you can. It'll save you a ton of work in the long run.
>>
the /adv/ guide to working in the video game industry

>i want to program video games. it sounds like fun
no you don't. you'll be doing BORING algorithms 24/7 while your idiot boss constantly sets impossible deadlines for you

>i have great ideas for video games
you want to be the "idea guy". that requires zero knowledge programming. the fun positions that you want are: video game designer or producer

>what do i major in?
graphics design
>>
>>17270667
>>17270778
Alright I might sound pretty autistic right now but how do internships work? I've just never had a good explanation about it

>>17270778
Wow I can't believe you had that type of a shitty college experience for a bit, which college was that? Yea that change of study habit is gonna be pretty hard for me to adjust to. Im not sure if I should get a job since well I'm going to go to med school right after college and during college I'm going to use my time volunteering in hospitals, but I might look into it. Thank you for the advice anon, this was helpful.

>>17271338
Kek, why not anon, they're the new fashion!

>>17271398
Oh yea research, I was going to do that too, but in the summer or maybe in 2nd semester, the only problem is that how do I know if the research is worth it cause I dont wanna participate in shit that will get me nowhere.
>College isn't a race
Thank you anon, that has actually been what I've kind of thought college would be, but now I'll take my time if necessary.
Thabk you for the advice anon, it was very helpful and good luck! I wonder which university you're going to go to, but you can do it.

>>17271842
I'll try anon, this is going to be hard to focus on, but thank you for the advice.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.