[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are languages other than English not very useful in English-speaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

Are languages other than English not very useful in English-speaking countries? I mean, there are not that many German-speaking locals in a country such as New Zealand and it takes more than a day a fly from New Zealand to Austria or whatever.
>>
Don't fucking learn it if you don't want to then. Schweigen.
>>
>>17257548
Useful if you plan on going into a career where you will encounter a need for a second language. English is the primary language where I'm from, but you'll be accepted over other applicants if you can also speak Spanish, because a large number of people my job serves speak only that language.

So you need to do research on the specific areas you would want to work, in a specific career category, and determine if it's useful to you.
>>
>>17257644
Yeah, so why would anyone learn a new language when it is of no practical use to them, none of their family members speak it, etc? I'm not even talking about weebs learning Japanese here, more like Kiwis learning German or something
>>
>>17257548

GO AWAY BRANDON

REEEE
>>
>>17257652
just a hobby mate
>>
>>17257652
For fun, I guess. I don't know why people bother learning an instrument in high school, only to abandon it completely once they graduate. People pick shit up for odd reasons.
>>
>>17257656
Have you seen >>17257644
Like why would a Kiwi veterinarian learn German he has no intention of moving there?
>>
>>17257660
At least you can be a part-time guitar teacher or something?
>>17257659
So why spend so much time learning a new language when it will be useless? It is not worth it.
>>
>>17257661
If the Kiwi wanted to work in a specific city in New Zealand that has a high concentration of German-speaking immigrants. That'd be the only "logical" reason to do so.
>>
>>17257664
If you played guitar in high school, sure. I'm talking about people who played flute and shit like that. Most of them never continue on with it after high school. Some take it all the way through college because of a special talent/scholarship. But most? Never do that shit again. So whatever. People pick up and drop nonsensical hobbies at a whim.
>>
>>17257665
>high concentration of German-speaking immigrants.
I don't think there are that many Germans in New Zealand. It's not like Mexicans in the states.
>>
For those not familiar with this thread (and similar garbage being posted repeatedly by OP), OP is upset by the idea of somebody doing something or having an interest in something that he personally doesn't want to do or have interest in.

Pretty typical "stop liking what I don't like" faggot.
>>
>>17257667
What about people who decide to continue with it though? I mean, it makes perfect sense to only learn 100 words in a language, but why the heck would anyone learn it to fluency if it's pretty much useless to them?
>>
>>17257668
Probably not. But you asked why, and that's a reason why. There are immigrant groups who speak languages other than German, living in NZ. Learning their languages would be beneficial for some professions.
>>
>>17257664
>So why spend so much time learning a new language when it will be useless? It is not worth it.
read book, watch movies, go on holiday to Germany

Better than jacking off to loli on a Colombian coke cutting board.
>>
>>17257670
what about them? They keep doing it for whatever reason they want. Who cares?
>>
>>17257669
I'm about to make OP real mad then, I speak 7 languages and have never set a foot outside of my English speaking country. :^) What is it about the idea of people learning things for fun that makes you so autistic? Why learn anything, if you're going to think like that?
>>
>>17257669
My parents say that it is useless? Like seriously why would a Kiwi learn French? It's not like he will travel to France or New Caledonia every year
>>
>>17257676
>My parents say it's useless
How many good boy points do you earn a day?
>>
>>17257671
>you asked why, and that's a reason why
Doesn't make sense while there are so few German speakers in New Zealand
>>17257672
I don't think a Kiwi will fly to Germany/Austria/whatever every single year.
>>17257674
It's such a waste of time. Why not do something else more useful?
>>17257675
Bait
>>17257679
A lot I guess.
>>
>>17257675
>>17257683
Not bait, I legitimately like learning languages. I find it fun and it's satisfying to be able to read texts in foreign languages. I also like the challenge. What's so hard to understand?
>>
>>17257689
Oh you mean like knowing 200 words in each language other than English?
>>
>>17257692
Fluency in 3, intermediate in 3, beginners in 1. What exactly is your point?
>>
>>17257695
Bet you are lying
>>
>>17257700
Why would he? This knowledge of languages is common in Europe. So one English speaking guy can do it also.
>>
>>17257700
Like >>17257709 said, why would I? The head EU interpreter speaks 32 languages, and there are plenty of better polyglots, so I'm not even impressive. Why are you so mad about this? Has a German speaker in NZ wronged you?
>>
>>17257715
OP has obvious problems. That should be obvious by now. While it seems likely that OP legitimately can't (or won't) accept that others can have interests that differ from his, there's also an issue with immaturity in interacting with others that is happening here.

A lot of kids are very repetitive in their behaviors (including the conversational topics they bring up) as an attempt to have a predictable interactions with others. If a little kid does something that adults give them attention for (especially if it's positive attention, though it can be negative for kids who are simply desperate for attention), they'll repeat it over and over until it simply stops working.

So far this particular topic continues to reliably gain OP the attention he craves.
>>
>>17257695
Im just like him, fluent in Italian, Japanese and english. Intermediate in French, Spanish and German and beginner in Chiense.

If you come from Europe, ACTUALLY studied languages in highschool and choose languages as a carreer you should be able to speak at least 7 languages at a good level before you turn 30.
>>
>>17257709
>>17257715
>>17257763
More like bait
>>17257752
It is just that my parents see learning all these languages as a waste of time
>>
>>17257548
Spanish is the language of the future.

>Increasing use in the USA
>South American economies growing and living standards becoming Europe-tier
>Spain will become the doorway to Europe when this happens
>>
greek
>>
>>17257846
Who gives a fuck what your parents think
>>
>>17257857
My parents will not lie to me unlike other people?
>>
>>17257860
Go ask your parents how useful they think it is for you to be posting this garbage thread over and over again.
>>
>>17258332
Who cares?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.