[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"i don't want to vote, i don't care for politics"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Капитан Пронин.gif (2MB, 249x271px) Image search: [Google]
Капитан Пронин.gif
2MB, 249x271px
"i don't want to vote, i don't care for politics"
"well what if everybody had that mindset???"

how the fuck do i respond to this? it comes up more often than it should
>>
>>17250129
They have a point.
>>
>>17250140
true, but that's not the reality. no matter what my views are, everyone else's won't magically change, and their views won't affect mine. why bother saying that in the first place?
>>
>>17250146
You seem to have an answer to your own question
>>
>>17250164
that doesn't work on anyone who's said this to me
>>
>>17250129
What if everyone had that mindset?

Then maybe we'd force politicians to act like people worth voting for.
>>
>>17250146
>everyone else's won't magically change
It's not magic. People can change their views if you give them a logical argument.

>their views won't affect mine
But you wouldn't understand that if you adamantly believe you're right and won't consider other possibilities.
>>
>>17250206
that's not what i'm talking about
i'm talking about this what-if situation people always bring up that doesn't ever matter
>>
>>17250146
why bother saying you don't want to vote and that you don't care about politics? it's a two way street partner.
>>
>>17250240
someone always brings it up and drags me into the conversation, i can't really help it
it also doesn't help that i'm easily pressured
>>
>>17250265
so just say you're voting for whoever they said they're voting for.
>>
File: trump.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
trump.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>17250274
but then they'll question me about it and i don't know shit about anyone other than they exist
>>
>>17250146
because voting in a democratic society is seen as a civic responsibility. if everybody had that mindset nothing would get done.
>>
>>17250323
but not everybody has that mindset. if everyone did, changing mine would not change theirs.
>>
>>17250129
Do you care about paying taxes? How about how the police force operates? Do you think something should be done about illegal immigrants, or making the schools better, or finding jobs for young people, or whether government money should be spent on the army or Medicare? Would you like to collect Social Security when you retire? Would you like student loans to be more available?

That is all politics. It is stuff like that, and not the personalities or speeches of candidates, that voting is all about.
>>
>>17250400
i don't know what half of that stuff is and i don't care about the rest
>>
>>17250129
Then more people would understand that it's all bullshit.
>>
Stop lying to yourself when you say you don't care about politics. If you didn't care, you would already have an answer to the question: "I wouldn't care", since not caring about politics consequently means that you not only don't care about who people are going to vote for, but also whether or not they vote. Stop being a retard on purpose.
>>
"If everyone thought that way, I'd be saved from having this conversation."
>>
>>17250129
I don't vote for theological reasons, but for some 20 years it's been getting harder and harder not to. Honestly, in a strange way I'm kind of glad for the break.
>>
I've a friend who drives me crazy. He refuses to vote because he believes that the choices presented to him basically amount to a choice between a lesser of two evils, yet by making a choice you are part of the problem by allowing either evil to justify itself and it absolves the failures of society at large to take ownership of its own free will and determinism.

Basically he rejects the notion that we should be governed and by voting you validate and buy in to the notion that you should be governed and you weaken the resolve of people to demand true social engagement and question the idea that you should even be governed.

Thing is, while I agree with him, he presents his case from an idealistic position which doesn't reflect the reality of our situation. He says if nobody voted then the validity of the system would collapse and people would realise that they need to actually engage with issues in order to influence their lives instead of outsourcing it to a governing class which use the idea of looking out for our interests to further their own.

But his idea is so fixed and rigid, yet it is practically all he fucking talks about. Also I'm pretty sure if you put a vote before him to reform the entire country towards collectivised anarchism he'd still not vote out of principle.

What does he want? Rule of the strongest? He is right though as we are in a situation where the majority government at the moment gained power through a 33% share of the vote which was something like a 60% turn out. Like 20% of the population actually wanted these assholes. So democracy.

Yet for him electoral reform is a dead end because he wouldn't vote for that either.
>>
>>17250129
What if everybody had that mindset?

What if everybody were gay?
What if everybody were nazi?
What if everybody wanted to be president of the US?

"What if everybody" questions are stupid. Nobody has the same mindset because otherwise there would be no society.
>>
>>17250129
>what if I had a differing opinion to you
>>
I used to vote. Then I got heavily involved in politics and saw how things are behind the scenes and now I want nothing to do with politics nor do I vote.
>>
>>17251019
how are things behind the scenes?
>>
>>17250916
What if everybody stopped using hypothetical scenarios to prove a point? There are no stupid questions. The very fact that we are discussing whether or not "What if everybody" questions are stupid or not is proof that they are at least interesting enough to evoke such a discussion. Also, different mindsets most likely do not precede a society's existence. I wouldn't bet on that.
>>
>>17250129

No one care for politics, you should still vote. Do you care for your rights? Your finances? Your laws? Your daily life? Then you should vote.
>>
>>17250265

"I don't want to vote" is a political view, and it's going to cause controversy if you announce it. Just say "I don't really like talking about politics".
>>
>>17250338

That's not what people mean when they say "what if everyone had that mindset".
>>
I got Arizona residency one day too late
To vote on this election day.
And every year before I’ve been too drunk to register.
I’d say “I don’t believe in it anyway.”

I still shake my head at ballots cast for elephants.
I shake my head at ballots cast for donkeys,
'Cause I swear to god our leaders, they will be death of us.
There’s no ballot we can cast to set us free.
>>
>>17250579
>>17251064
"I don't care for politics" also never works. They keep pushing me to talk about it even though I clearly stated that I don't want to.
>>17251059
I honestly don't. One vote out of millions isn't going to affect anything anyway.
>>17251068
What do they mean then? If not that, then they probably just want a reason to look down on me because I have differing views..
>>
>>17251629
>I honestly don't. One vote out of millions isn't going to affect anything anyway.
That's where "what if everyone thought like that?" comes in. It's not about any individuals vote, it's about how they all stack up together.
>>
>>17250129
you inform them that their statement is not an argument
>>
Tell them that democracy is a farce designed to legitimize an authority structure which makes every effort to minimize the influence of voting on actual policy.

Because that's accurate.

People who tell you that voting is important are sucking on a fat ideological tit.

"My vote matters, to think otherwise would take away my sense of agency in the world, and if you threaten my delusion, I will denigrate you."

That's what motivates a voter.
>>
>>17250129
>"well what if everybody had that mindset???"

"if that happens, i'll vote."
>>
>>17251936
I know that's where it comes from. But still, one tiny vote isn't going to change anything.
>>17251960
>>17251961
>>17252004
These are good, thanks.
>>
>>17250129
"Don't care"

Wow that was easy

Tell that stupid faggot to fuck off. I'm a pure maths researcher that wants to be left alone. I don't care about political autists
>>
>>17250129

"Well everyone doesn't have the same mindset, that's why different politics, religion, countries and whatever exists, so your question is stupid!"

/Thread
>>
>>17250129
Just say you vote democrat and be done with it.

Liberals won't annoy you further and conservatives won't hold it against you, it's the default position nowadays anyway.
>>
>>17252025
>I know that's where it comes from. But still, one tiny vote isn't going to change anything.
Stop saying you understand it when you keep completely missing the point.
>>
>>17252425
why don't you explain it then?
>>
>>17250129
In my case: everyone is ignoring elephant in the room. Both parties are suggesting some retarded options which are not fixing the main issue - therefore I don't care and I don't vote.

I've bailed that sinking ship three years ago and moved to a country which better suits my needs.
>>
"the world would be a better place"
>>
Just tell them you're voting for Bofa.
>>
I've only found the people who refuse to vote are the types of people who feel they are "too smart" to pick a side
>>
File: 1461096925418.gif (155KB, 320x245px) Image search: [Google]
1461096925418.gif
155KB, 320x245px
>>17250146
Death by a thousand slices. For every person who decides to stop caring, the situation becomes that much worse. The fact is your viewpoint is detrimental and unsustainable if applied on any significant scale. The fact is you're lazy and don't want to put forth any effort. It is less distasteful to admit so, than to try to bullshit around it.

>>17251629
>What do they mean then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_(philosophy)
>>
You don't have to respond to them. You can just stare at them until they look away. That's what I do and it works 100% of the time
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.