[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/, how do I get a job? I've been in Uni for the past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: readytodie.jpg (24KB, 467x278px) Image search: [Google]
readytodie.jpg
24KB, 467x278px
/adv/, how do I get a job?

I've been in Uni for the past 8 months, and didn't bother then, but now, I'm trying to find a job for the summer. Out of the hundreds of applications I've put out, I've only gotten 3 interviews, none of which have worked out. I called them after the fact and asked how things were, etc. I have experience in retail and manual labor, as well as decent knowhow with computers. Everybody who's looked at my resume says it looks good, and I'm not exactly the most alpha, but I would at least hope I come off as confident in interviews.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
File: 100cmfalloutbust.jpg (293KB, 923x1168px) Image search: [Google]
100cmfalloutbust.jpg
293KB, 923x1168px
Bump. C'mon.
>>
>>17209606
>What am I doing wrong?
Applying for jobs indiscriminately. Employers know when you don't actually want the job and are mass-applying. You're better off narrowing down what you apply for and properly showing them why you want to work for them
>>
>>17209798
What gives me away, and how can I demonstrate that I want to work for them?
>>
>>17209812
Standarised resumes/CVs and cover letters are usually the biggest giveaway. You need to tailor them to each job you apply for. Also make sure your resume/CV really is good - if you know someone who works in HR, for example, get them to look over it. Friends and family usually won't know what to look for.

Make sure you're writing good cover letters too, there are plenty of resource online for this. And like I said, don't apply for everything, just the jobs you actually want.
>>
>>17209820

>>And like I said, don't apply for everything, just the jobs you actually want.

I wish there were such a thing, friend. I want the jobs that will give me a cheque with my name on it which I can redeem for money.

And I've taken business and technical writing courses, so I would at least hope my resume is adequate for retail/fast food purposes.
>>
>>17209911
>I want the jobs that will give me a cheque with my name on it which I can redeem for money.
You're the sort of person that many employers want to avoid then.

>I would at least hope my resume is adequate for retail/fast food purposes.
You're probably overqualified and they're not bothering with you in case you leave in a few months for a better job
>>
>>17209941
>>You're the sort of person that many employers want to avoid then.
I'd say "maybe so" but frankly, I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't have that attitude towards the sort of jobs I'm trying to find.

>>You're probably overqualified and they're not bothering with you in case you leave in a few months for a better job

How can I be overqualified? The best certification for a job I have is that I passed high school.

If I'm being perceived that way, what can I do to downplay it?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.