[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I find what I want to do in life? I'm 26 and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Tubby and Pleased.jpg (46KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Tubby and Pleased.jpg
46KB, 500x750px
How do I find what I want to do in life? I'm 26 and I've wasted the last ten years of my life being a neet shitter and I need to fix this. It gnaws my mind and drives me mad.

The main thought running through my head is filmmaker but I haven't lived so I have nothing to say. I'm also unsure if I really want to be one or if it is a manifestation of my frustration and desire for acceptance.

How did you discover it?
>>
>>17203939
>filmmaker

Nah give up on that shit.

If you want to be like Michael Bay or Zak Snyder or some shit: that's a fucking fallacy at your age, my dude.

Just go to work and be a wageslave.
>>
>>17203956
Why though? I don't want to be like Bay or Snyder...
>>
>>17203939
Don't follow the 'be passionate about your work' meme. You get you a job boy, if you've spent 10 years doing nothing you certainly don't have a passion to convert into a career, and likely never will. Become a welder and work in oil, or a machinist and head to the rustbelt, or an industrial machinery mechanic and go pretty much anywhere.
>>
Film maker aside what you are expressing is frustration at what you've done with your time and what you are going to do with the next block of it.

You can't change the past, you can only really take action in the present, this might change outcomes in the future which are always uncertain.

Just be kind to yourself. You are doing what everyone does, live within the circumstances presented to yourself. People don't really 'discover' anything which suddenly makes life make sense or become simple or whatever, pretty much it is grinding onwards with the right positive mental attitude and then at points telling yourself the story so far with a positive mental attitude which makes it seem like it was all supposed to be this way.

I hit a similar wall at around age 28. I'd finished school and college, I failed to graduate my final year of university and was convinced that was what had been holding me back for several years, but all it took was changing jobs, suddenly having tons of money because I was willing to own a car to expand my work opportunities and then suddenly I was buying a house with 90% cash down and paid to finish my final year of my degree.

Then I was like, ok, so now what? Everything which I'd denied myself due to my supposed 'poor luck' was basically intellectually quite useful as an excuse, because now I've no excuses as to what I want to be in the future. Who says I have to be anything?

Fear of being alone, fear of being boring and unwelcome socially. Fear of losing my partner and being alone and finding nothing to validate my choices with.

Fucking toxic curse of the myth of self actualisation and true self identity man.
>>
>>17204012
I don't want to do any of those things but if i'm going to be a wage slave I guess I could learn programming.

>>17204025
I don't really see what i'm supposed to do with this information but thanks. What did you study and what do you do now?
>>
>>17204076
Nooo programming is a way to stay neet while pretending you're doing something. Get a job. A real job. Not something that is going to take you another few years of solid studying (that you're incapable o)f to become proficient at.
>>
>>17204076
It is kind of tough to say what to do with what information, but I guess what I'm trying to get across is the idea that you didn't 'waste the last 10 years'.

You did exactly what you wanted with them one day at a time. It is only now you are feeling sorry for yourself that you are expressing a form of buyers remorse and you decide you wasted them.

Ok, so you've had a revelation, dwell for as long as you feel you need to on the negative idea that you are a worthless piece of shit who wasted 10 years. Don't empower that phantom too much though because it doesn't contain anything of value once the lesson has been learnt.

Once you are done with that take stock of what you can do on a daily basis to move your life more towards what you want it to resemble? Can you actually have a positive outlook? I'd argue that you didn't waste 10 years, you spent them learning what you don't want to be. You should be thankful for the opportunities you had to give you that perspective because some people never reach that point. There is always a creative, positive forward thinking aspect to any situation which allows you to focus on where you can make a change to influence a situation to encourage the creative positive outcome, but first of all you've got to let go of all the negative reinforcing shit which will do nothing but hold you back.

Or maybe you don't want to change. Maybe you aren't ready yet, maybe you just want sympathy or acceptance. I get that.
>>
>>17204102
This makes a lot more sense to me. It's going to be hard to accept I haven't wasted the last ten years but I will try.

If I can overcome that I will be able to have a positive outlook.
>>
>>17204125
Well, you can't go back and change it now so your choices are basically to dwell upon it to your detriment or to move on from it.

I found that I used to over think everything and divert responsibility onto a false image of authority which was actually responsible for the disconnect between how I actually was and how I wanted to be.

Like not having my degree was the reason why I didn't have a better job so don't try and get a better job. These are ultimately negative reinforcing thoughts which do nothing other than encourage aspects of myself which I claim to dislike, self loathing, self pity, wanting acceptance from others by playing to my weaknesses not my strengths.

I'd just encourage you to look to the positives and look to where you can influence those positives and take advantage of those opportunities, even if it is just something as minor as your perception of a past event or a choice presented to you.

Like I open the fridge and I think either shit, I'm so poor, I've got bread, milk and cereal. I'm so worthless and I eat such a piss poor limited diet, I basically hate myself, why would anyone like me? Or I think wow I'm lucky to have choice, hello bread, hello milk, hello cereal.

Minor example, but over time which method of viewing the world actually feels better and encourages taking advantage of the positives put before you?
>>
>>17204173
Yes, I understand. It's just going to have to be something I work on.

Thanks for your help friend.
>>
So what career paths require hard work but don't need another four years of school and study?
>>
Do you own a camera?
Are you making films already?
>>
>>17204231
No i'm currently researching to get one.

I'm also working on scripts and reading/watching a lot.
>>
>>17204246
>No i'm currently researching to get one.
That's good anon, just get something and go shoot.
That's the best way to figure out if you want this or not.
>>
>>17204272
Yes. The only problem is I have no friends so it will be a bit awkward.

I'll have to improvise with enviromental stuff.
>>
Gonna hop in here real quick, similar boat, 25

Realizing I'm 7 damn years out of high school and still amounting to nothing

What are some career options that I can learn as I work?
I can't afford to go back to school for another 2-4 years before making decent money
>>
>>17203939

So if you're to find what you "want to do" which is a fucking special snowflake meme btw. You should start wageslaving and then start to pursue interests with resources. When you have steady income you can do more and in turn gain more insight on yourself.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.