[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a psychiatrist not tell you the truth about your condition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: pepe1.png (38KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
pepe1.png
38KB, 256x256px
Can a psychiatrist not tell you the truth about your condition?
I'm asking because my psychiatrists tell me that my diagnosis is autism (not assburger - I mean more severe autism), but I find this diagnosis to be hard to believe in, and too good to be true.
My dad told me that I don't understand it because I have autism.

But what if all of this is some schizophrenic delusion, and I actually have schizophrenia, and my doctors are hiding that maybe I'm in fact schizophrenic from me as they think it would be too shocking for me? How likely is this? Or am I just finding it too hard to accept that I actually have autism?

The thing is, I have a very good memory in some areas (memorized a few hundred digits in an hour and recited them to my parents), and can do very large mental calculations rather fast, and this seems to be just too good to be true.
>>
>>17171230

If you had schizophrenia, they wouldn't sugarcoat it or lie to you. It's a serious mental illness that requires a full disclosure of information for safety reasons.

You're just autistic.
>>
>The thing is, I have a very good memory in some areas (memorized a few hundred digits in an hour and recited them to my parents), and can do very large mental calculations rather fast, and this seems to be just too good to be true.

Is that not the definition of autism?
>>
File: Rainman.png (361KB, 534x301px) Image search: [Google]
Rainman.png
361KB, 534x301px
>>17171230
>Get someone to throw toothpicks on the floor
>Count them in 3 seconds
>>
>>17171230
>Can a psychiatrist not tell you the truth about your condition?
Short answer: no.

Long answer: Not in most jurisdictions. In the past, there HAVE been cases where it was considered accetable to lie to the patient, as long as you told the truth to the patient's family. But that hasn't been considered acceptable in most jurisdictions for decades, because it screws up the concept of informed consent.

>I'm asking because my psychiatrists tell me that my diagnosis is autism (not assburger - I mean more severe autism), but I find this diagnosis to be hard to believe in, and too good to be true.
"Too good to be true"? I don't understand. In what way would this diagnosis be good?

>My dad told me that I don't understand it because I have autism.
Your dad is an idiot. Probably a well-meaning idiot, but he really shouldn't be talking about things he clearly knows nothing about. Autism doesn't impair people's ability to understand concepts that way.
>>
Psychiatrists won't lie but they can misdiagnose you. I'd go to a different psych to get a different opinion if it bothers you that much.
>>
>>17171323
>>
>>17171450
So the doctor just lied to the patient, and only told the truth to the family? How could this possibly be legal? Does this shit still happen?

My doctor sent me a hospital paper (with a stamp, signature, hospital credentials and all) which says that I have autism, and that I don't have schizophrenia (I kept asking him whether I have it during every appointment). The diagnostic code specified indeed matches that of autism.

Is there still a small possibility that my doctor told a different diagnosis (like schizophrenia) to my parents, while lying to me about my diagnosis?
>>
>>17171230
Psychiatry is a highly subjective field.
>>
A medical professional wouldn't lie about a diagnosis. It would be unethical to keep the information from you. There is no such thing as "for your own good" when it comes to things like that.

>My patient has cancer, but I better not tell him because it might stress him out
>>
>>17171230
Highly unlikely. Extremely unlikely.

Although this post does make you seem schizophrenic.
>>
You have it, accept it, now start living with it and doing better
>>
>>17171230
Aside from all the other reasons, if you were schizophrenic they would WANT to tell you, because they have drugs to treat that.
>>
The autistic people I know couldn't make a post on a message board. It is a spectrum though and it sounds like you are on it somewhere. Don't fret, I have aspergers and my life is rad, have a hot girlfriend and a rewarding job.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.