[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To ignore a Facebook message or not ignore? So last weekend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: awkward-Seal.png (520KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
awkward-Seal.png
520KB, 600x384px
To ignore a Facebook message or not ignore?

So last weekend during Free Comic Book Day I went to my local comic book shop. I met a couple of local comic book artists, one who has done work for Marvel and DC.

I mentioned I was an aspiring artist and showed them my work. They asked to become facebook friends because yay networking.

So hours later, the artist who worked for Marvel and DC sends me a PM over Facebook saying it was nice to me meet etc. But then he asks "do you like coffee?"
I'm like "yeah why do you ask...?"
He's like "oh I like to go to a coffee shop and draw. I figured maybe we can get together to do a comic jam." A comic jam is when 2 or more artists just draw a random comic together. Like the 1st artist draws a panel, the 2nd artist comes up with the 2nd panel, etc.

I said that would be cool but I work full-time in Manhattan and come home past 7pm so that might be rough.
He says "that's cool, whenever you're up for it let me know."
Then he asks to take a look at my online portfolio, I link him to it and that's that for then.

So tonight he just messaged me with "hey comic book artist"

I feel incredibly awkward and don't know what to reply back.
One, I could've swore this guy said he was married. He facebook profile says he's single. Unless he divorced...?
Two, I have a boyfriend and even if I didn't, I have no interest in this guy at all. I'm not going to mention that right off the bat because...
Three, I don't know if he's just being friendly and awkward or he's interested in me romantically. I don't want to assume he's interested romantically and tell him I have a BF, but don't want him to get the wrong idea either.
But since he's a facebook friend he should see that I'm in a relationship anyway.

I'm paranoid if I say the wrong thing to this guy, maybe he'll bad mouth me to DC or Marvel or anyone in the comics industry. I looked him up and he definitely did do work for them.

What do I do? Respond or ignore?
>>
respond go be social /network that called oppurtunity knocking
>>
>aspiring artist
>turning down a perfectly good opportunity to make a professional connection

Do you know how many people would love to collaborate with someone who's worked for major comics, even just a hokey little doodle comic? Think of all the shit you can learn.

Nothing he said was particularly flirtatious, he probably just wants to help someone starting out in the business. For fuck's sake.

If he clearly hits on you, mention your boyfriend and that's it.
>>
>>17134969
sounds fishy to me.

what is the age difference, if he is older he may or may not be trying to mentor you and not date you.
or he may be looking to fuck around on this maybe wife. hard to say.
>>
You're not paranoid. As a guy I can tell he's interested you at less (or you could say more) than a professional level. He probably is married, and thinks using his experience with marvel and DC will get him in a position to manipulate you into sex. I'd stay clear of him.

There's like a 10% chance from how you described him and those words he used that he isn't trying to bang you
>>
>>17134984
I'm born in 1989, his profile says 1980. So he's 36

Either way I don't feel comfortable meeting up with someone I'm not familiar with alone.

I forgot to add that after he asked about the coffee thing he posted something along the lines of "I hope that question didn't come off as weird"
>>
Also it looks like he was just an inker for a couple of comic book titles. I think he's just self-publishing his own work now.
>>
>>17135004
meh go for it. i might try to help out someone nine or ten years younger then me.
you can ask if you can bring a friend (assuming you have one that would hang out). that might help you imply the non date like nature and also get a reading on the thing.
>>
OPPORTUNITY!!!

Meet and draw in public for safety if you wish. He will soon make his intentions clear.

But he may genuinely be offering an opportunity for you and your art.
>>
>>17134969
The comic book casting couch.
Cuck your bf
Write comic about it
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 186x271px)
image.jpg
24KB, 186x271px
It's understandable that you don't want to cheat on your boyfriend but you knew where this would lead as soon as you started to talk to him at the comic book show.
You've been feeding in by handing out you contact details and agree to coffee but no you are having cold feat.

Ask yourself does the fact this guy has a talent make him a better catch than your current bf? If not just ghost him, you are under no obligation to reply.
>>
File: facebook-convo.jpg (224KB, 452x1003px)
facebook-convo.jpg
224KB, 452x1003px
Here's the facebook convo. Red is him, blue is me.
>>
>>17136132
So yeah, I don't know what to respond with because I don't know his intentions and in general, I don't like ongoing fb/text convos, but I also don't want to be rude and straight up ignore this guy either.
>>
Post some of your comic work and we'll let you if you are good or not
>>
>>17136168
Whether she is good or not has nothing to do with this
>>
>>17136132
You're gonna get raped
>>
>>17136168
Sorry but no. I try to keep my 4chan life separated from my personal/professional life as much as possible. The last thing I need is to post my work just for some troll to do a reverse image search to find out who I am.
>>
>>17136172
It kinda does. The only way that dude isn't 100% definitely just looking for something more than comics is if they are freaking exceptional.
>>
>>17136231
Whelp like I said, I try to keep anonymous on 4chan, so the most I can give you is a crappy crayon doodle on a paper tablecloth at a restaurant
>>
>>17136279
Annnd forgot to attach pic
>>
...if I do respond to this guy, what do I say? Just "hi, how's it going?"
>>
I wouldn't worry too much about what this guy can do for your career either way, but I'd be careful showing him new stuff -- you don't want him taking ideas you're developing.

If you're too busy to deal with having a new friend (or he's just throwing off weird vibes, which he is) then just be polite but dead end conversations quickly. Otherwise, if you actually want to meet him to draw something, bring your boyfriend with you. Have your boyfriend bring a book or something to do while you draw with this dude.

If he's just trying to hook up, he'll probably lose interest very quickly.
>>
>>17136315
yeah something simple like that is fine, see what he says back to it. but at some point, before you actually go, make it clear that you are just trying to make a friend and you're not available. maybe when he tries to set a day for the art jam thing, tell him you're busy with your boyfriend that day but what about later. how he reacts to finding out you have a boyfriend is a good indicator of whether he was interested
>>
>>17134982
this
>>
>>17136353
Yeah I've been worried about him stealing my ideas too. But so far I've only shown him my website. If he steals my work I have proof its mine.

So anyway, I messaged back
>"hey how's it going?"
and immediately he replies back
>"it's going good, can I show you some pages I completed?".
It feels like this guy is on Facebook 24/7.

So I said "sure" and immediately again, sends me his art. Granted since he's on facebook I already saw this artwork posted in my Facebook feed but whatever...

I tell him "cool stuff" and he asks
>"can I see your art again? I remember you showing me briefly."

Now if you look at the Facebook convoy screen capture I posted you'll see he already asked to see my work which I linked him to earlier.

I tell him I already linked him to my work and he says "I remember now. Good stuff. Nice gestures, expressions, etc."

I tell him
>"thank you. Anyway it was nice talking to you but I am at work right now and must get back. Talk to you later"
He ends with
>"of course, get back to me when you wish"

Did I handle it alright? Also why would he ask to see my art again when I just linked him to my website a few texts ago?
>>
>>17134969
Ask if he is trying to sleep with you. That seems like the most direct way to get this information.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.