[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, /asp/ is shit so I'll ask here. I want to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1453755432120.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453755432120.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
Hey /adv/, /asp/ is shit so I'll ask here.

I want to start a martial art. However, I want it to yield satisfying results rapidly, provided that I train regularly.
I want to learn something that isn't overly technical, that I can easily apply without requiring years of experience beforehand.

I thought about some form of boxing but I don't know much. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>I want it to yield satisfying results rapidly
Wrong attitude. Come back when you're ready to be patient.
You're like the kind of person who buys a gun, takes the one hour concealed carry course, and then is itching to whip it out and "save the day" and ends up shooting somebody in the face needlessly.
>>
>boxing
>what are legs
You will never know the feel when you're probably able to kick an average person in the head with a front kick without even stretching OP.
>>
>>17130630
Is not wanting to have to train for a decade before being able to satisfyingly apply what you've learned "impatience"?

I'm just asking for something I can easily apply and work with.

>>17130638
There are fighting styles which fall under the "boxing" category (albeit loosely) yet allow the use of legs. Savate for example
>>
>>17130646
yeah I know, I've trained kickboxing :P
It's pretty okay I guess
>>
>>17130662
>It's pretty okay I guess
Would you recommend it?
How efficient would you say it is?
>>
>>17130620
>Hey /adv/, /asp/ is shit so I'll ask here.
I don't see what makes you think this is a good idea.
>>
>>17130678
>/adv/ - Advice
I'm asking for advice.
/asp/ seems autistic about anything that isn't wrestling.
>>
Learn mui Thai it's the shit. Get too close abuse him with knees and elbows, take a step back head kicks that nobody ever sees coming if you don't telegraph them. Plus you look like a badass breaking somebodies body down with 5 knees while your clenching your arms behind his neck
>>
>>17130683
Wrestler fags get non stop elbows to head until they decide they can't take you. Just don't fall down and be loose and relaxed. Worse comes to worse brass knuckles require almost no skill to use and are very portable
>>
>>17130620
What do you mean by "yield satisfying results rapidly" ? Is this about your physical shape or the effectiveness of the techniques ? Because if you get caught applying something you learned in a dojo in the street, EVEN IN CASE OF OBVIOUS SELF DEFENSE, you're fucked. And trust me I know people who got into some major form of trouble because of this
>>
>>17130620
Krav Maga--it's a solid system of fighting taught in the military that emphasizes real-world practical application.
>>
>>17130691
This is true you just have to announced to the person that you are trained in .... are you sure you still want to do this. Then go ahead and do your thing because that talk rarely scares anybody away
>>
>>17130691
The effectiveness. I'm already in a good shape, I want something that will really help me become a better fighter.
>you're fucked
Legally, you mean? That's not the point of the thread
>>17130695
I thought krav maga was a scam. Their gun disarm stuff and fighting off five opponents at the same time look pretty silly to me, then again I don't know much
>>
Muai Thai (Spelling, probably), and if you ever decide to want to use a weapon, with significantly less cringe, bojutsu. It's literally a combination of 9 swings and stances.
>>
>>17130703
Yes, legally. I know it's not the point, I'm just trying to look out for a fellow stranger who sounds like he's going to get himself into a whole lot of trouble because of his ignorant attitude.
Martial arts and combat sports in general are no joke. And as >>17130630 said previously, they are all about patience and taking pride in your efforts. You do not seem to be ready for that in any way, shape or form.
That being said, I will still give you some advice as a trained martial artist and fighter : if you're going for pure effectiveness you might want to look into Krav-Maga (it's not a fucking scam trust me), Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu or Thaï-Boxing.
But please don't hurt anybody.
>>
>>17130719
Yeah muay thai sounds pretty effective. How does it compare to kickboxing or savate? I've heard good things about those as well.
>>17130724
I understand, I just want to be able to effectively defend myself, not start shit.
>You do not seem to be ready for that
I'm ready to dedicate myself to one thing and work hard, but I know that I quickly get bored by things that don't yield results relatively quickly. Which is why I dropped karate when I was a teenager.
>it's not a fucking scam trust me
How do I recognize the dojos which aren't scams? Because so far all I've seen is matrix-tier "learn to dodge a bullet and kill three armed men with your index finger" bullshit.
>>
I have a related question. Is body type a factor in choosing a martial art?
>>
>>17130733
>but I know that I quickly get bored by things that don't yield results relatively quickly
That is exactly what I meant when I told you that you weren't ready. No combat sport ever is going to give you that kind of instant gratification that you are looking for. You will have to train a few dozen hours before anything becomes really enjoyable. You don't just start Taekwondo and go about head-kicking people into oblivion after a week. Took me 2 years to land a proper head-kick.

>How do I recognize the dojos which aren't scams?
This is a tougher issue to tackle. I agree with you on the statement that most dojos are complete frauds (they essentially only exist to lure in 14y/o Naruto fans or are run by two or three passionate guys who sadly forgot half the shit they were supposed to know after years of training). There's two ways you can go about this :

a. You start at one dojo, train hard and re-evaluate the whole situation after you know you learned some stuff. You'll start noticing if people around you are actually getting better or if they are still complete shit after six months. Look at how the newbies are being treated: that was you a few months ago. Do you agree with the way things are going ? No ? Move.

b. Look for dojos that have a high concentration of people from the military. Those guys generally don't fuck around.
>>
>>17130747
I don't mean being able to do interesting things after two or three sessions. But I expect to have truly improved in three or four months after starting.

Thanks, I'll look out for what you said.
>>
>>17130745
Yes. As a 5'3" femanon with a decade of aikido, I will still always get my ass handed to me by someone of much larger stature and weight. And it ain't so easy to disarm big motherfuckers, either.
>>
>>17130620
Learn gongfu
>>
>>17130757
I was looking at akido but maybe I'll look into it more. I just don't picture myself doing flying kicks and stuff like that.
>>
>>17130792
Aikido is good for smaller people because it's about energy displacement and using others' momentum. I like it (also took 5 years of taekwondo, which was too "showy" for me- you basically give away all your moves to the other guy. Looks great on TV, but not so practical.) basically, any martial art is just that... It's a leisure sport and an art... But I don't consider any of the standard martial arts to be true self-defense against attackers with projectile weapons or against people who are far bigger than I am.
>>
>>17130620
As long as it's not Chinese it should be alright. Chinese martial arts are a joke. They were designed to recruit students by looking cool in demonstrations and half-speed sparring but everything falls apart when real punches get thrown.

Muay Thai is probably your best bet though. It's simple and very effective.
>>
>>17130695
Krav Maga is not a solid system of fighting. It just teaches you a bunch of meme counters that don't work unless you know what your opponent is going to do and they don't try to resist you in any way.
>>
>>17130826
I'm not the hulk but do have a larger build and height so I'm thinking judo but I don't know.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.