[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The whole work experience shtick is so screwed up! How are you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
The whole work experience shtick is so screwed up! How are you expected to gain work experience when you you need experience to get experience?!
>>
yeah I know its like a catch 22.
>>
You have to be persistent to succeed. Eventually someone will give you a chance
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 460x580px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 460x580px
1. Entry level jobs
2. College
3. Military
4. Volunteering
>>
>>17115927
tell me about it, shitsux

you pretty much have to get some horseshit entry-level job, network furiously, and take on any and every opportunity to move in the direction you want to go in, even if you're only going a centimeter in that direction. lateral moves, promotions, that kind of thing.

also study the job descriptions for the kind of jobs you want. pay close attention to any skill listed that can be built up without direct job experience, and work on those. for example, if a lot of the jobs say stuff like
>experience with XYZ type computer system (or some other system specific to that industry that you wouldn't be able to learn without working there)
>problem solving skills
>management experience
>excellent writing skills
ok you can't do much with the XYZ one. but even at a shit job you can often (though not always) find ways to solve problems at work, and include on your resume that you helped the company solve such and such type of problem. if a supervisor or assistant manager position comes up at your shit job, take it even if it sucks lion balls and there is more stress and no raise. then you can list it as supervisory experience, which is not the same as management experience but is close enough that they will likely make note of it. as for writing skills, you can take technical writing courses etc.

idk what field you're trying to break into, so your case might be like that, or it might be easier or harder to find examples of job skills that you can list that relate to the job indirectly. and yes it will involve putting more effort into those shitty mcjobs than what you're getting paid for. and no they won't regard it the same as actual experience in the position you're aiming for. BUT it will show that you're willing to learn and work hard to make yourself valuable. so even if they don't hire you right away, if their experienced person turns out to be a fuckup, they will be more willing to give you a try and invest in training you.
>>
Working is fucking stupid unless you actually do something that you love. If you work just to feed your family then you have already failed.
>>
File: 0423.png (35KB, 519x515px) Image search: [Google]
0423.png
35KB, 519x515px
>>17115996
also wanted to add that when you do finally get in that position you want, if you're good at what you do you are pretty much set unless some industry-upsetting thing happens. work for 20-25 years, hang out a shingle as a consultant, charge out the ass to tell other people what to do with their company, retire early.

ok maybe it won't work out exactly like that. but it might. it has for some people I've known.
>>
>>17116008
I agree completely. unfortunately the electric company still refuses to take principles and self-respect as payment.

and basically you just said that depressed people, hipsters, /v/, and anybody else who doesn't like anything should be excused from work. :^)
>>
Most of the time work experience reqs are just bullshit to discourage the fodder that don't have gumption.

The places that don't require work experience only hire the dregs of society, but everyone else would expect you to have at least enough initiative to not let a slight discouragement stop you.
>>
>>17115927

You have to lie, but also be competent enough to back up your lying.
>>
Are you sending a customized cover letter to the jobs you want? Sometimes having a well thought out/written cover letter (Especially if you can figure out who to address it to) can give you a huge edge over people. Because a lot of people only send their resume. Your personality and determination can shine through in a cover letter.

I think this helped me when I was applying to jobs that I only had generic skills for like >>17115996
said. While I had never worked in the industry, I was able to spin things around in my cover letter to show how my skills would be helpful for the job and how I was a fast learner.
>>
>>17116087
Employers don't actually read the cover letters btw
>>
>>17115927
You realize a lot of the times asking for experience is to weed out the people that wouldn't apply in the first place, to tell the people that really will try and the ones that give up on the first obstacle, right?
>>
File: 1382729610208.jpg (101KB, 1060x404px) Image search: [Google]
1382729610208.jpg
101KB, 1060x404px
>>17116010
>2004 comic
>>
>>17116087
>>17116104
Human Resources for an engineering firm here. I can vouch that cover letters usually go straight into the trash.
>>
>>17116008
What alternative do you propose? A lazy utopia where nobody has to earn their keep?
>>
Entry level jobs breh, they hire practically anyone. It fucking sucks but you gotta swallow your pride and work at a mcdonalds or some shit, you will fucking hate it, but just hang in there for 6 months to a year, after that, your foot is in the door, you still wont get great jobs, but you can get a job thats a little better, and then after that a job thats a little better, and so on.
>>
If you're actually good at what you do then this ought not to be a problem. For instance in my field of computer science, if you can build a bunch of stuff on the side, or freelance doing projects for people, no good company will turn you down just cause your experience in the work force is 1.01 years. Also you'd have to work for pennies just so you could appreciate it when you're getting paid thousands.
>>
>>17116163
I think it's sad that most people work their whole life in a job that they dislike or think is "alright" just for the money. Life is short and you spend so much time working, why not spend that time doing something you actually love doing. People just tend to take the cards they're dealt and get stuck.
>>
>>17116192
What if the things I love doing the most cost money?
>>
>>17116152
is there something wrong with 2004? or do you just think everything more than 10 years old is bad?
>>
>>17115953
Don't listen to Wattersonfag

He's a confirmed nu-male
>>
You and all the other guys itt are dumb. You get experience by going out and doing some internships. Or maybe you did things in the field in your free time. Everything goes in the resume as experience.
>>
>>17115927
Internships dummy
>>
>>17115927
Internships like said above, or go for volunteer work in a related field, apply to entry-level jobs or places that offer mentorship, etc. If you're still in school, talk to the professors or guidance counselors about work-study. GL!
>>
>learn to use AutoCAD in highschool
>apply for entry level drafting job straight out of highschool
>work low level job for 2 years
>do 4 year engineering degree
>work the whole time
>graduate with 6 years experience
>drowning in job offers

I'm now 9 years outta hs, you gotta start low. You go up by covering for supervisors going on leave and proving yourself able to do the work so hen they opportunity comes along they will promote you. There is entry level jobs in every industry they are just more competitive. Never apply for a job ou see in an ad, call the business directly and ask if they need workers
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.