[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I left school with good grades i just didnt take any high level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1462013681300.jpg (28KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462013681300.jpg
28KB, 640x640px
I left school with good grades i just didnt take any high level math i dropped them early in which i regret so much. Ive always been interested in computing science i took it in hs and done really well in it, but i heard that for comp sci you need to know alot of math, i only learnt basic algebra i didnt pay much attention to math but now i dont know if i should take comp sci or not due to me not knowing any high lvl math like calc etc. Any ComSci students here that can give adv
>>
You're probably going to have to upgrade your math at a college. It'll be called 'continued learning' or some shit. It's actually pretty great, I was always shitty at math as a kid, but when I took it as an adult I got A's in essentially everything.
>>
>>17115798
How do you do so well?
>>
>>17115801

I'm not sure if the material was easier, or if I just gave more effort in adulthood. But one way or the other, it was like night and day from when I was in highschool.
>>
>>17115798
Do u take CS?
>>
>>17115792
My experience was undergraduate CS is a lot of programming which doesn't require a strong background in math, just a logical mind. You also take math courses as part of your requirements, but they are rarely directly related to your CS classes. If/when you do advanced electives or grad level courses you'll find it to be math intensive.
>>
>>17115895
Can i learn the math there as i havent done calc or any of that before or is the level going to be to hard for me to learn iam a logical thinker and im self teaching myself programming
>>
>>17115933
My undergrad program included a year and a half of calculus, plus some other misc math courses. If you had credit from AP courses you could skip them, otherwise it didn't matter. In the US they have to assume you never took calc because it's not officially required to graduate high school.
>>
Become an information technology major instead. I promise you as a fellow computer science major, you will not like it if you don't like math. I'm a math major aswell tho, so I'm pretty at home.
>>
higher level math is a req for CS. most CS classes don't require math persay, but algorithms, complexity (aka automata) theory, and a couple others are mathy without necessarily making use of calculus. learning how to learn math seems to help a lot in learning CS. I don't think I've met anyone who had trouble with math, but was good at all their upper division CS classes. With respect to programming on the other hand, plenty of people excel in that while struggling with math. upper division CS classes are really more like hands-applied math, so it helps to have a super strong algebra background, and algebra is really honed in calculus classes more than it is in an algebra course. I think most people can handle calculus if they put in the long effort
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.