[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a list of useless college majors? What are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Mario.png (70KB, 149x227px) Image search: [Google]
Mario.png
70KB, 149x227px
Is there a list of useless college majors? What are some useless majors?
>>
Philosophy, history, anthropology, sociology, liberal arts, and anything incredibly specific and useless to anyone like transgender studies.
>>
>>17087887
So anything with "studies" in it.
>>
>>17087887
I love marine biology, t-b-h.
Please let that be useful and fruitful.
>>
>>17087887
dumb

Have a career in mind. Philosophy majors do great on the LSATs and many go to law school. There is a future in academia in most disciplines. History majors especially can end up in international relations-type gigs.

Keep your career in mind and pursue it throughout your undergrad. Do not expect to collect your degree at the end of four years after having done jack shit but your classwork and then get a job. Many fields (especially but not just in the humanities, increasingly finance and others as well) require a graduate education. Outside of STEM a bachelor's all that valuable.

but really do not come to 4chan for this kind of advice, mostly what you'll get is retards telling you there is no future outside of STEM. find (preferably young-ish) people working in the fields you want to work in and ask them for advice.
>>
>>17087916
>Outside of STEM a bachelor's all that valuable.
*not all that valuable
whoops
>>
>>17087916
>There is a future in academia in most disciplines.

"Blow a shit ton of money and become a college professor for the rest of your life."
>>
>>17087916
He wasn't asking what they could lead to, he just asked about useless college majors. All of those are inherently useless on their own.
>>
No major is useless, but you need to know what you plan on doing with your degreee after graduation. You may want to consider grad school if you're studying something in undergrad that won't translate directly to a job.
>>
>>17087929
>This career is unappealing to me
what is the point of this post
>>
your undergrad can be broad, and you can narrow down/specialize through internships, work experience, and grad school degrees.

stem majors are fairly safe, but the market is starting to get oversaturated since STEM has been a quasi-meme for a few years. if you go that route, study hard and work your ass off in your internships

figure out what you want to do and find a major that qualifies you to enter that career
>>
>>17087949
>figure out what you want to do and find a major that qualifies you to enter that career
This x1000000

This is how college should be done. Problem is lots of people don't know what they want to do when they go to college because society pushes them into it straight out of high school.

For my part, I didn't start on my degree until I was 26.
>>
I had a question that seems appropriate for this thread.
What I like to do and what I want to do is driving. I'd be happy being a driver/chauffeur for the rest of my life.
Do you think dedicating my life to this is a dumb decision? Do you think I should go get a college major?
>>
>>17087881
everything not STEM
>>
>>17088017
You don't need to go to college for that.

Personally I think it's a crappy dream to have, but driving for a living isn't that bad. I drove a taxi for a summer and loved it. I worked overnight 4pm to 4am on weekends and it was an enjoyable gig.
>>
File: 1452911274472.jpg (27KB, 464x575px) Image search: [Google]
1452911274472.jpg
27KB, 464x575px
>>17087881
Something the market doesn't need. For example companies will always need engineers, code monkeys, regulators and so on. They don't need someone with a history degree.

To be fair you can a lot as an undergrad, like I got a BA in history and went to med school. Just keep in mind that the whole point is to get a job. So if you get a degree in art history but then find out there's like only three jobs in your area and there's 100's of more qualified people than you you're kind of fucked. However if you become a computer engineer or code monkey chances are you'll find a job pretty fast.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.