[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it called when you only care about yourself? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (59KB, 470x317px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 470x317px
What's it called when you only care about yourself? I don't mean in a narcissistic way, just that I'm the only one who's going to get me through my life, so forming connections is stupid.
Introverted I guess?
>>
Antisocial or maybe a sociopath. You gots problems friend.
>>
Solipsism.
>>
>>16997529
Intelligence.
>>
>>16997558
This is interesting.
Is the belief a bad one to have?
>>
>>16997529
self centered.
>>
>>16997529
Wisdom
>>
>>16997553
I don't lack empathy or anything, I just think my own safety is important. I would imagine everyone would feel the same too. I don't hate people, but I know I'm the only one in control of my own life.
>>
>>16997633
>>16997597
>>16997585
>>16997574
>>16997529

>forming connections is stupid

even on a selfish level connections help. they make life fun, they make life enjoyable, they give you rushes that drugs do but without the negative side effects. they expand your minds, your interests, and prevent you from being bored.

that being said, even on a clinical level, they help. most people get their first (or often future) jobs through referrals from friends. if you dont practice developing connections with people for social reasons, you wont be able to in a job thus they wont want to hire you. the people who get hired are the ones they get along with the most. people who develop connections get promotions.

when you need a ride to the airport a 'connection' helps. when you need an extra day off work, having a connection to your boss helps. when you need a raise, a connection helps. when you want to get laid a connection helps. when you need someone to take you to the hospital, a connection helps. when you need someone to walk your dog or watch your house, a connection helps.

even if you are born with millions of dollars, a connection isn't 'stupid'.

but you apparently are because you couldn't even think for more than two seconds about what benefits having a connection has.
>>
Never rely on others for shit you can do yourself, it only leads to failure since the majority of humans are unreliable self-centered pieces of shit.
>>
>>16997650
I hope you understand I meant specifically emotional connections based around intimacy and vulnerability are stupid.
>>
>>16997529
yeah but you can use other people to me your life easier
>>
>>16997660
This is what I've been thinking for a long time. I've never had to trust anyone with anything serious. I can always do shit myself, so why rely on others?
>>
>>16997665

>intimacy

you're still dumb cuz you are robbing yourself of meaningful connections that you clearly want, otherwise you wouldn't be philosophizing around them.

>vulnerability

you are only as vulnerable as you let yourself be. if you acknowledge that disney is nothing but fairy tales, then you have nothing to worry about. nothing last forever, and romance is the most fragile of all human realtionships. break ups dont need to be anything more than a bump in the road. you dont need to be vulnerable to have a meaningful connection.
>>
File: Ayyn Rand.jpg (33KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
Ayyn Rand.jpg
33KB, 800x430px
OBJECTIVISM!
I suggest reading atlas shrugged.
>>
It's called being selfish
>>
>>16997529
>just that I'm the only one who's going to get me through my life, so forming connections is stupid.

If you tire from talking to others, or you don't actively seek out connections you're introverted. HOWEVER it doesn't mean that you're unable to make a connection when you want.

>I don't hate people, but I know I'm the only one in control of my own life.
This statement is wildly different from
>forming connections is stupid.

One quote I've always remembered is from Men in Black where Kay says
>A person is smart. People are dumb...

I wanna say youre looking for self reliant. This is in terms of job ethics.
The next person is gonna be smart, and you yourself are. They'll say somethings and its up to you to accept or reject actions and if the former, mold it to what you deem is useful for your life. You don't need a giant pool of people to show you what's right or what is success like so many people strives to accumulate. There has been countless people who've mostly worked and lived alone and done well in professions that are more independents (trade) than others. However it's never a stupid idea to have a beer with someone and shoot the breeze.
>>
>>16998717
Self-reliant sums it up perfectly.
Still, I wonder if it's possible to be too self reliant.
>>
>>16998684
Oh no....
>>
>>16997649
>I don't lack empathy or anything, I just think my own safety is important.

You literally said "forming connections is stupid" verbatim. Thats the most insanely stupid thing I've ever read. You have serious, serious issues with your social perspective.
>>
>>16997665
People can't read your mind when you post you shithead teenager.
>>
File: 1459663119322.gif (499KB, 470x361px) Image search: [Google]
1459663119322.gif
499KB, 470x361px
>>16997529
Evil
>>
>>16999500
>:)
>>
>>16999528
That doesn't make sense that I have to be an apathetic evil person to not want to form connections with other people.
Why should I be vulnerable when I can just ride solo?
>>
File: TrapCard.jpg (45KB, 526x791px)
TrapCard.jpg
45KB, 526x791px
>>16997553
>Antisocial or maybe a sociopath
mfw

>>16997529
>What's it called when you only care about yourself?
No single answer to this, there are many ways to interpret it and many totally different thought processes and conclusions that can be (crudely) described this way.
>I'm the only one who's going to get me through my life, so forming connections is stupid.
You have to explain more, this isn't clear. (why does the first statement imply the second?)
>Introverted I guess?
You're probably introverted but it doesn't sound like that's what's bothering you.

>>16997665
>specifically emotional connections based around intimacy and vulnerability are stupid
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Still haven't gotten to the actual connection, though.
Why exactly are they stupid? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

>>16999600
>Why should I be vulnerable when I can just ride solo?
This is a pretty characteristic statement, but keep going.
>>
File: image.jpg (262KB, 1070x723px)
image.jpg
262KB, 1070x723px
>>16999840
Okay. I should start with I don't hate anyone.
However, since I'm the only one in charge of my own life, and everyone else is in charge of theirs, why should I really go out of my way to build intimate relationships with others? I don't mind friends or anything.
I've never really cared about anyone but myself. I don't wish bad things against others, and won't step on them to achieve my own goals, but rather simply avoid people just about entirely.
I also don't care to trust others, cause whatever I need to trust someone with, I can do myself.
Since I'm in control of my own actions, I also don't regret anything. I know what's right and wrong, so why would I do something wrong? And whenever I do, I don't feel regret about it. I just move on from whatever it was.

Is there a word for this? I also suffer from depression, but I don't know if that matters.
>>
>>16997529
It's called watching too much Dexter
>>
File: 1432092390893.png (158KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1432092390893.png
158KB, 960x720px
>>16999997 (off by two from >>16999999)
>Is there a word for this?
Sounds like schizoid personality disorder. Everything you've said is very characteristic.
> I also suffer from depression, but I don't know if that matters.
It does. Let's just say there's a reason it's called "schizoid personality disorder" and not "schizoid personality funtime".

I'd suggest seeing a professional, since schizoid is particularly unsuited to self-help (if you're schizoid you'll basically apply all of it and end up feeling like shit because of disassociative symptoms). Just tell them everything you told us and more, they'll almost certainly be able to help.

This is especially important since it seems that antisocial or autistic traits have encouraged the schizoid empathetic estrangement, and you may hurt people without realizing it.

>>17000023
No, dumbass. You and >>16997553 are like Columbus hitting the caribbean and saying "WOOT WE FOUND INDIA": on the other side of the planet.
>>
>>17000128
Thanks man. I'll try to go see one once my paycheck comes in.
I appreciate it.
>>
>>17000128
You have very bizarre, stilted and disorganized speech which is indicative of thought disorder, a symptom characteristic of schizophrenia. The logical associations in your speech are very loose as well.

Seek help and medication for schizophrenia. Anti-psychotic medication helps to reduce disorganized speech in this disorder.
>>
>>17000190
>You have very bizarre, stilted and disorganized speech
Not sure if serious, but if so i'm glad you noticed. You're right, very right. I know and feel bad about it, and I'm trying to improve.
However, you've misjudged the cause. It's because i've spent many years in self-imposed social exile, years in which i often went weeks without so much as a post on 4chan, much less a word to another person. To state the obvious, I have the problem for which i've suggested OP get checked.

I've recently resolved to put my life back together and rejoin society. This involves getting rid of most of the "partitions" between the different "modes" (masks, to use a popular metaphor) that i've been using to interact with the world. This is, unsurprisingly, a messy process.

Bottom line, in my case the problems lie in communication, not in the thoughts themselves. Unlike those on the schizophrenia spectrum, I notice how god-awfully stilted, unnatural, and confusing my speech and writing are (and will immediately clarify if asked). It's actually what motivated me to start turning my life around. Anyway, enough about me, this is OP's thread (definitely storytime though, will post in >>16999097).
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.