[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For people who have experience with this situation... What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1290291148185.jpg (63KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1290291148185.jpg
63KB, 300x300px
For people who have experience with this situation...

What's more desirable:
-being happy with what you're doing at work, but less happy about where you are (eg. small town compared to a larger city that you prefer)
-being less happy with what you're doing at work, but happy with where you are outside of work
>>
Im happy with my work, but I had to move to another city where I have almost no friends.

In which situation from those two, are you now ? Or are you deciding ?

Personally, for me, work is important. I wouldnt do something I dont like.
>>
>>16938030
I'm a final year medfag and choosing jobs now

Ideally I'm going to be doing something I like, in a place I also like

But should that not happen, I've got to rank other jobs, which presents me with the above dilemma

(Do I really want to be spending 12 of the next 24 months caring for the elderly, but in a place I like... No offense to the elderly, but it just takes a certain person to embrace the challenge they present)
>>
>>16938042
I see. Well, if you ask me, anything gives you some experience. I did shitty jobs in my life, but in various parts of the globe and I learned many things about life, people and world.

I think if you look at it like discovering life and stuff, you are never going to be disappointed. You can care for the elderly for one year and then move on to another job.. you are free to explore the possibilities. Dont worry
>>
>>16938049
Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it

And I guess if even worst case scenario is that situation for me, and that's not even that bad, then it's not something I should be too afraid of

Thanks for the insight
>>
>>16938004
I moved across the country for what turned out to be a shitty, stressful job in Madison, Wisconsin. I found that the awfulness of my job kept me from enjoying anything during that time. Madison wasn't perfect, but there was a lot of stuff there, with plenty of opportunity for enjoyment, yet I couldn't.

Compare that with now, I work at a pretty decent job in a small retirement town in FL. I have no stress from work. But there's nothing to do in my town, no relationship prospects, and the same old food places every week. It's boring.

Neither one is acceptable long term, in my opinion. But, if I had to choose, I'd choose the good job in the crappy town, because I'm more introverted and happy entertaining myself.
>>
>>16938076
Yeah, those are exactly the two situations I could end up finding myself in

It would only be for 2 years, so I may go for the desirable area / not so great jobs... I'm hardly extroverted, but I find myself going insane in quiet places for too long
>>
>>16938004
Well I hate what I do but I'm in a "good" city.

I would take the "job that I like in a shitty city" any day. You're at work for 8 hours a day. You're getting ready for work or commuting to and from work for about another hour to an hour and a half. SO that's 9 to 9.5 hours of your day that involve your job. If you get up at 6am and go to sleep at 10pm, which is what you should do unless you want to be chronically tired and assuming you're on this 8-5 work life, then you're only awake for a grand total of 16 hours. Add in dinner/cooking for dinner and you're already used up 11 to 12 hours of that 16 on work and life related stuff.

Add in the gym? You've used up 13-14. So that leaves you with about an hour or two to do anything during the week and then the weekends. Your work basically becomes your life. So I would choose good work.
>>
It depends on other factors. You're obviously American and that's a place where work is your life, it's not just 6-8 hours a day, and they don't "do" frequent holidays.

Anyway, I think they best thing to do is move to the next interesting job opportunity. Change it up sometimes, take a job in Vienna or Sydney, don't worry if it means taking a little pay cut because it'll be a better experience and you'll do better in general.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.