[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't majority of those here who suffer from mental

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
Why don't majority of those here who suffer from mental health problems (depression, anxiety, etc.) seek professional help? Do you like to suffer in silence?
>tfw mixed anxiety and depression torture you for years.
>finally muster up enough courage to reach out for help.
>start to feel somewhat better after opening up and sharing pent up feels weekly.
I've realized that in the process of hiding my mental state and emotions I've managed to lose myself.
>>
>>16934763
There are people who can't afford that shit
>>
>>16934763
People who have mental health issues don't often act in ways that are healthy and reasonable. Many can't recognize that they need help or that they will receive it if they try.
>>
Tried going to a professional, felt for the entire time that they felt I was lying even though my partner said it was in my head I couldn't go back
>>
>>16934763
Cos I'm more than sure my depression is situational rather than clinical? Though it's been like that for more than a decade. I'm not really sure how happy pills would help me in the long run.
>>
It's because professionals don't care. They just don't fucking care. They just seem to profit from your anguish by prescribing you drugs that may or may not even benefit you. And then there's the stigma in general against mental illness. Usually if you can't see the illness it's not even there. The all-in-your-head-effect.

In short it's just people not giving enough shits, and not taking you seriously enough, leading you to just suffer and deal with it

Source: depressed since age 10~ to present. And I'm 24 now. It feels like forever, my whole life. When I got diagnosed it was a "no shit" moment as I'd known I was depressed since a very young age.

Meds do not and never have helped me. I manage my mental illnesses very hard with the help of my hobbies and love from my boyfriend
>>
>>16934771
And like this anon said, therapy ain't free. And a lot of the time it just feels so fucking fake. Like they don't care.

The best therapist is the close friend who's willing to listen.
>>
>>16934763

most of them dont have REAL problems and they know it, so they dont seek out professional help. they have general boredom sadness.

its kinda like when yuo see those people in highschool who are all laughs and stuff in real life, but their myspace page was nothing but emotional sad bullshit talking about how hardcore they really were and that their smiels were a lie.

thats what these people are. they live normal lives, hten obsess about their feelings when they are alone cuz they arent used to that.
>>
Often depressed people get so good at hiding their emotions that their mask becomes impenetrable for professionals and themselves.

At a certain point recovery from a long term mental illness takes the type of fighting strength that most people, especially ones exhausted by their struggles, just can't muster.
>>
>>16934796
You don't have to get on pills.
>>
>>16934771
I can't afford that shit either, my state offers free mental health services through the department of social services. It's really the only way I was able to start seeing a therapist.
>>
>>16934763
I have a gf who I'm really close with and friends who support me when I need it. I don't bitch to them the whole time or try to force deep conversation. I'll just go out with them and we'll enjoy the moment.

Too poor for therapy and the stigma really gets to me.
>>
>>16934824
>most of them dont have REAL problems and they know it

Depression/anxiety isn't about having real problems Its about an imbalance of brain chemicals.

People who have real problems feel bad because everything is bad. They are correct to feel bad. When you feel bad and there is nothing wrong that's when you need medical help.

When you're doing well in school, have a girlfriend, loving parents and a promising future but you still spend 90% of every day thinking of slashing your throat for months in a row that's when pills are a good Idea.
>>
A lot of people also don't realize that the average person isn't like that. People feel like everyone is just better at hiding it.

There's also a stigma associated with it. People don't want to be labeled "crazy" or be told they're "faking it". Most people also don't like admitting they have a problem. Other peopel hate the idea of medication, have had a bad experience with medication, or don't want to change "who they are".

This isn't even including financial reasons or an inability to seek help if you're a minor and your parents won't acknowledge that you need it.

It's a multifold issue. There are as many reasons as there are people who have it.
>>
>>16934763
ive known ive had social anxiety since I was young, only just started seeking medical help for it, ive been somewhat happy these past couple of years, im now in a worse state than ive ever been, the pills and counselling sessions have made me feel awful
I now feel unfixable and helpless,seeking professional help whilst being the most logical idea has completely backfired for me
>>
>>16934763

I go through long scale "waves" of depression and happiness, and my anxiety is so unpredictable, that it's hard to put it in front of a professional and not just make it seem like I'm trying to get attention or something, I guess.

I have so many friends, such an active social life, I'm handsome, I have a great job... people have a hard time understanding why I'm depressed when it comes on. Even I am. I can't tell when a fun night out is going to turn from a great time to me being on the verge of a panic attack.

Part of it is not knowing where to begin with a therapist. My parents were psycho when I was growing up, I hate my job and struggle with motivation, I have things that I do in my private time that are offputting (not illegal, but like fetish shit) that I feel uncomfortable talking about, because I don't know if it's an issue I need to bring up or not.

And on top of it all, I'm an alcoholic. Every therapist I've ever had has immediately halted any of my other problems and has turned all of the focus to how I need to stop drinking. Like it's going to fix everything. It doesn't.

Add all of that to not being able to find the time in my work schedule, and it's a real hassle.
>>
I don't really see the point. You go to a professional because you want to be better. However, I don't even bother to take better care of myself by exercising, eating right, or trying to spend my time in some meaningful fashion. If I did try, I wouldn't need to see someone, and the fact that I don't bother even though I know it will help means that I don't want to improve. I probably don't even have a mental illness, I'm just so lazy that suicide seems preferable to putting in an effort.
>>
that feel when psychotherapy is more effective than placebo pills in only 19% of the patients
>>
Because it's still hard for a guy, from childhood you are raised to be tough and not talk about problems. Only now do we have campaigns to deal with this.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.