[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth becoming a police officer? I don't have the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: toonvectors-6017-940.jpg (399KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
toonvectors-6017-940.jpg
399KB, 940x940px
Is it worth becoming a police officer? I don't have the skills to do anything else, and the pay sounds good. I live a relatively safe community, so the danger level is pretty low. Those are some of my concerns, although it would help if I had some more insight.
>>
> I don't have the skills to do anything else

Why does everyone talk like people are born with skills

You could be getting these if you put in the effort
>>
>>16934641
It takes too long to acquire the skills to get most jobs and too much money. Ive applied for some clerical and technical jobs, but they all want people with skills and experience I don't have. Sure I could try to learn them, but that take years until I get competant enough to hold a job. Even then, I still probably won't get hired since most managers look for employees with experience. I feel like becoming a police officer is the best course of action since it doesn't matter if you are unskilled or inexperienced. As long as your criminal record is clean, and you're in good shape they will hire you.
>>
>worth

Is subjective. Something that I might find worth, you may see as useless/unnecessary.

Do it if you want. Keyword:(You) it's your life. Live without regrets.
>>
File: thatsnomoon.jpg (27KB, 329x345px) Image search: [Google]
thatsnomoon.jpg
27KB, 329x345px
>>16934657
>takes too long to acquire skills for a clerical job
I know what you mean, man. Microsoft Office is basically rocket science.
>>
I don't want you to be a cop

Please find another job, anything really. They pay $15/hr to shovel dirt, $17/hr for painting houses.
>>
>>16934624
Not trying to discourage you, but why do you think being a police officer doesn't require any skills?
>>
Shouldn't being a police officer require a degree or lots of voluntary experience? if not you're probably in a shit place.
>>
you should be aware that becoming a police officer often isn't just something you can decide to do, you have to take and pass a civil service exam which in most municipalities are only offered once every few years, then after you take the exam (assuming you passed) you'll have to take a number based on how well you did and the wait time until your number is called could be several years. You'll need to find something else to do in the meantime while you're waiting.

>>16934940
most police departments only require some college credit (usually 2 years) or military service in addition to a high school diploma
>>
>>16934914
Well im not a woman so I can't just get a paying job that only requires MS office knowledge.
>>
>>16934999
you'd make a pretty fucking awful cop with an attitude like that
>>
>>16934999
if you really did look for clerical work that is pretty much all you need
>>
>>16934937
Because it doesn't. All you need is a HS diploma. They don't ask for prior police experience and you gel all your training at Police Academy. Now, I haven't decided on actually becoming an officer, just been thinking about it alot lately since I really need a good paying job soon. If I can't get the job, then Im gonna be fucked and homeless.
>>16935005
You sound pretty entitled.
>>16935008
>that's pretty much all you need
Yes, for women that's all is required. Look, I get that some people don't view being an officer as a real job, but its one of my only options now. I didn't ask for advice on any other occupation. If you don't have anything to provide about Police or things that will prevent a person from getting hired, then please leave or you will be ignored.
>>
>>16935024
I don't know where you live but most departments in my area (Illinois) require some college and a test.
>>
>>16935024
what municipality do you live in? All the ones around me (greater NYC) require some college and can take years to get on the force.
>>
>>16935028
>>16935032

Looks like in my state they don't need college credits.All is required is a HS diploma, a clean record, ID, and you have to do a written exam.
>>
>>16935038
you're trying to become a state trooper? Things may be different in your state but here in NY its almost impossible to become one unless you have prior law enforcement or military service. The amount of points being ex-military gets you on the exam is truly insane.
>>
>>16935052
No prior military service, although I heard it really helps a lot. I was thinking about just being a regular patrol officer, state trooper sounds like its out of my league.
>>
>>16935063
well where do you live? The opportunities available to you depend very heavily on what kind of municipality it is.
>>
>>16935076
AL
>>
>>16935082
do you live in one of the larger cities like Mobile, a suburb of one of them, or a rural area? Because that makes a pretty big difference on what you can do, your options are usually local PD, county sheriff's dept, and state police. Additionally some municipalities will set up their exams so if you don't have residency there its basically impossible to ever get on the force while others will just make it take longer.
>>
>>16935090
I actually live some miles out the main city of Moblie.
>>
>>16935100
well you could go to the police station in your town and ask the officer at the desk when the next examination is going to be and if they have any recruiting info for you, additionally you may want to contact your county sheriff's department and the mobile police department as well. But be prepared for the likely outcome that none of these departments will be having exams until next year at the earliest.
>>
>>16935100
this actually sounds pretty interesting
https://www.mobilepd.org/cadet.php

I wish they'd had something like here in NYC.
>>
I've met a whole bunch of people who studied police foundations or some other related field and not a single one of them has become a police officer. It's very, very difficult to get a job with the police. There's people stronger, faster and smarter than you who've wanted to be cops since they were kids that won't become one either, better look somewhere else
>>
>>16934946
> most police departments only require some college credit (usually 2 years) or military service in addition to a high school diploma

Don't do it in the US, the training is shit-tier.
>>
>>16934624
thinking about becoming a police officer myself. i live england though. i want to become a detective, over here you have to work your way up. currently studying criminology and law in uni to increase my options.
>>
>>16935172
>its very difficult to get a job with the police
Not in America.
>>
Hell yeah, it's like being a bully in high school, except high school is now real life and being a bully makes you money.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.