[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm playing a game where you have to drive to a destination

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: math.jpg (102KB, 578x325px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
102KB, 578x325px
I'm playing a game where you have to drive to a destination (let's call it Vegas).
>you get 0.5 points per mile traveled (d/2)
>you can take various routes, some longer and some shorter
>you have 1000 hours to do it, and every hour spent traveling subtracts from your bonus
>your car can travel at 30, 45, or 60 mph

So, for example, if I get to Vegas within 3000 miles and take 400 hours, I would get 2100 points (3000/2) + (1000-400) = 2100.

Would there ever be a situation where I get more points for getting to Vegas in less time, or is it always better to take the longest route?
>>
File: 1457052662227.png (129KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
1457052662227.png
129KB, 600x465px
>>16896971
Linear algebra is your friend.
>>
>>16897050
I have no idea how to do that fampai, I studied psychology
>>
>>16897119
And that's why you play stupid games instead of doing actual work.
>>
So your basic formula is (d/2) + (1000-h). You have to factor in the speed but I can't remember how to do that, high school was a long time ago
>>
>>16897119
>>16897139

And to actually answer your question: you get at minimum (30*0.5) -1= 14 points per hour or at max (60*0.5) -1 = 29 points per hour, so you would always want to maximize drive time (and distance) to maximize points, with preference on high-speed highways.
>>
>>16897144
Sorry, I just now realized that the 1000 points were a bonus, and not just subtracted from your base score. Either way, you gain between 15 and 30 points per hour and lose only 1, so you still want to drive as long as possible.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.