[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard can you lie on a resume? Has anyone had any luck saying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: hank3.gif (60KB, 350x340px) Image search: [Google]
hank3.gif
60KB, 350x340px
How hard can you lie on a resume?

Has anyone had any luck saying they had a degree they didn't have?
>>
>>16666535

Lie your heart out. Who can prove you DON'T have a master's in propanology?
>>
op here. Like. what if you they caught you. Would they report you. Is there a heavier penalty other than 'no'?
>>
Don't do it.

It's rare that they check, but why risk it? You literally can go on the school website and input your name and year to verify if the degree is legit or not.
>>
>>16666540
They just won't hire your dumb ass.
>>
>>16666542
Or I could not go to school and BAM. Got a job without 4 years of wasting time.

I'll even bull shit with some small school.
>>
File: Hank+hill+Goku_775031_5030504.jpg (32KB, 463x355px) Image search: [Google]
Hank+hill+Goku_775031_5030504.jpg
32KB, 463x355px
>>16666540
They just won't hire you. That's all. Unless it's like a city or government job then you could get blacklisted.

What kind of job are you looking for? The company I work for called me during the hiring process telling me I didn't have a degree I said I had because the college forgot to click one fucking button so my degree was never official. Luckily I got it sorted out.
>>
>>16666546
You could get away with community colleges, but all 4 years verify.
>>
>>16666540

They could fire you after hiring you for cause.

A government employer would be more likely to hit you with a legal penalty. In the US military, for example, it's fraudulent enlistment, and it's a federal crime.
>>
>>16666551
well i ain't got much going on for me. The job would be a programming/comp sci related job (which I have a pretty good knowledge of).
>>
>>16666553
>>16666557
It would be a non-government job
>>
Don't lie about that sort of stuff. Just imply you've done more than you have. For instance, if you've been a NEET the last few years but occasionally fixed up computers for friends or neighbors and are looking to get a job working with computers, pick out people to put as your references who can vouch for you and try to imply you've worked longer doing this than you have.

>Has anyone had any luck saying they had a degree they didn't have?
When I applied for my current job they wanted photocopies of every degree or certification I held including ones irrelevant to the line of work I'm currently in. If I'd lied about what my credentials were, I would have been very screwed.
>>
>>16666576
In all honesty. I talked a friend from High school, he told me he got a job after bs'ing on a degree he didn't have. I was really wondering if anyone else had any experience in doing so
>>
>>16666587
I'm sure there are jobs that don't check. There's definitely a chance you can get away with it. But it also seems like a bad idea. You would need to maintain that lie throughout the course of your employment. If it ever surfaces or you ever accidentally admit you didn't go to college, unless you're the absolute best employee ever, you're getting fired. And you won't be able to use them as a reference, making your resume even more empty than it is now.
>>
You'd have to be stupid as fuck to think you can get away with lying about a fucking degree.
>>
>>16666608
Sounds like I can get away with it. I'll let you know if I can get away with it. Will be new cheat code for skipping school if so
>>
Not OP, but what about other, lesser things?

For example, not faking a degree or anything, but what about extremely exaggerating the duties of a position you worked?

Like looking up the typical duties of a somewhat more prestigious position and writing them instead. And knowing absolutely everything about that for the sake of an interview of course. Or simply lying about results, saying you "increased sales by 30 percent" at a previous job or something credible. They can check a lot of things, sure, but are they really going to call and say "he says he accomplished this. Is that true?"
>>
/sp/ get.

Next year is cowboys year.
>>
>>16666649
For example, if I worked in a small place and worked alongside a guy that had a better job than me every single day, what's stopping me from writing my duties as they things HE did and then talking about them the entire interview?
They can call and check, sure, but if it's just one or 2 duties exaggerated, I'm not quite sure what the big deal is.
>>
>>16666649
This is far more reasonable, but I'd hesitate to lie on anything involving specific numbers unless you're friends with the person who would be interviewing you and they're willing to lie on your behalf if asked. I would opt for lying by omission instead. Are there any times you covered for someone who had more prestigious responsibilities than yourself? Did you do well? Congratulations, you can include those on your resume and let the employer assume they were a regular occurrence.
>>
>>16666719
I'm in a situation where a guy hired me to manage social media pages and such for his company and multiple sub-companies that are related and sell different products.

I made a presentation to him once showing lots of research I found through google about different social media, saying "yes I think you should make a Pinterest page for this company since it sells clothes and Pinterest is very visual" etc. and a lot of it was kind of just made up. But because I'm a young college student he treated me like a supreme expert and so I manage the accounts for him and send little reports of feedback and good news about the traffic being pulled in. This includes studying other websites' accounts and trying to copy their technique and occasionally interacting with them and customers to sell products.

I want to say

Social Media Marketing Consultant
-• Advise company owner to implement online promotions and curate relevant content to customers, maximizing paid search campaigns through search optimization (SEO)
• Maintain ROI projections and generate reports to owner
• Leverage Google web analytics to make data-justified recommendations, increasing monthly customer traffic by over 20 percent

Is that ok or am I fluffing it up too much?
>>
>>16666747
Basically I just freelance play around on Facebook and like 1 or 2 other sites for some guy a few hours a week.

Can I really put all that into it?

I do this all from home except for the one time that I met the guy in person for an interview.
>>
>>16666649
I agree that you shouldn't use statistics that aren't true. But lie all you want about duties, unless it's ridiculous or unbelievable.
>>
>>16666759
Is this ok? : >>16666747
>>
>>16666765
I'd say that's ok. But it also depends on what your boss would say of they were to contact him
>>
>>16666776
But see, in the interview he said "So we can do this with you as an employee or just as a private contractor?" I said that either was fine, so I basically just get to report how many hours I spend per week and how much pay I want. It's very much just me doing it, even though I had to sign a bunch of legal forms for him that could register me as an employee I guess.

The boss would say I haven't worked here that long, but that I manage the facebook page for him. What that actually entails I don't think he has any idea since he hardly seems to check. He just eats up whatever I tell him about it, really.

I write stuff like "Today I changed the profile picture and uploaded some pictures from your website to draw in more customers. I also created a link on the page so they can contact you." Stuff like that.

And another place I want to put is a place I worked at since I was a little kid since they were family friends and just one day started paying me because I asked, but it was done in cash and under the table and there was never a position title. It was as a teacher at a Taekwondo studio. In that case, I feel like I could put anything and the boss would agree since we were close friends and she knew me since I was like 8 years old. I don't know man, I feel like my experience is mostly made up here, but it's all kind of true. All the Job Titles have kind of been made up by me because they sound good though. Nothing was too official for any of these.
>>
>>16666797
Well the job title sounds legit. I say go for it
>>
>>16666535
Not sure what kind of moral framework you're working with, but I like this advice:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-deal-with-my-friend-lying-on-his-resume-and-getting-accepted-where-I-was-rejected-for-not-lying/answer/Gayle-Laakmann-McDowell
>>
>>16666535
The furthest I'd go is... say I worked at a grocery store and ONE TIME I had to stock shelves, I might list that as one of my responsibilities.

It's not so much about lying, as it is using EVERYTHING you can.
As long as there's at least as kernel of truth.

Anything easily verifiable, such as education and actual places of employment; forget it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.