[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Man. /adv/ I'm desperate here. I have to break up with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1443313368506.jpg (172KB, 481x700px) Image search: [Google]
1443313368506.jpg
172KB, 481x700px
Man. /adv/ I'm desperate here.

I have to break up with crazy gf who clearly doesn't give a damn bout me anymore. I might lose my job for attendance, but that's on me. Might have to go back to community college because financial aid won't be processed in time at the university. I thought I wanted to do programming, something technical but I don't know if it's my passion.

Meanwhile, my younger sister has an interview at a bank, well paying job. Older sis works at daycare and plans on going back. I just feel like a failure. As a brother, and a person.

Tl;dr Life has got me down and I really don't know what to do anymore. I wanted to try to become a better person in 2016 but at 21 yrs old.. It just feels too late. Please help. I might just have to end it.
>>
>>16641140
>thought I wanted to do programming, something technical but I don't know if it's my passion.
Do you enjoy doing it? Then do it. Second-guessing yourself will only paralyze you, and if your passion turns out to be something else, that's what hobbies are for.
>>
>>16641149
Programming? Never done it. I was waiting to take classes and see, I've watched videos and read through guides. It seems like something I can do for a job. Passion? I'm not sure.

I've been trying to get more hobbies and cut down on games and everything. It's just..hard, as lame as it sounds.
>>
Bump. Any advice is appreciated
>>
File: disregard_females.jpg (70KB, 440x578px) Image search: [Google]
disregard_females.jpg
70KB, 440x578px
Too late at 21? Please, foo'

Anyway, dump the crazy girl, much of the rest of your stress will magically go away.
>>
>>16641140
http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/thinkcspy/Functions/thinkcspyExercises.html
Do these exercises. If you can without looking at the answers, then you've figured out debugging and organizing code which is a big part of programming and then I'd say you're capable of CS.
>>
>>16641245
Am I supposed to know the answers by just looking at them? If so, I'm screwed to be real.
>>16641210
You sure? She didn't use to be crazy. It hurts is all but you're probably right.

I'm glad 21 isn't too late though, were you the same?
>>
File: BristolStoolChart.png (418KB, 1025x617px) Image search: [Google]
BristolStoolChart.png
418KB, 1025x617px
>>16641261
Oh, man, 21 is so young it's not even funny. Yes, I have had a crazy girlfriend, and my GPA shot up the moment I got rid of her.
>>
>>16641261
No, it's a process:
1. Look up appropriate documentation on google/reread previous chapters and copy code as necessary
2. Go to the exercise, click "Show/Hide Code". Resize the box by dragging the lower right-hand corner. Type in code and click run.
3. Fix errors, repeat until you get what you want.

I've seen so many CS majors that couldn't indent properly, never commented their code, couldn't plan out a program by splitting it into functions, couldn't read documentation even. These exercises kind of force you to do most of that.
>>
>>16641270
That really helps. Thanks man.
>>
>>16641284
What's intimidating is all the languages needed.

You given me an exercise for python, but most jobs ask for C+ or some variation of that. Do you do IT work? What's your experience like?
>>
Personally I think the idea of having a job that is your "passion" is bullshit. I enjoy my job in sales, in fact I look forward to going to work everyday, but it's just because I like my co-workers. I wouldn't say I have a passion for sales. And unless you would do your job for free after 8 hours of real work you can't say it's your passion either.

Pick a well paying job that you can stand, or even better one that you're good at, or alternatively start your own business and make serious cash for yourself.
>>
>>16641295
Math turned CS major. The key with learning languages, whether spoken or programming, is that the more you learn, the easier it is to learn the next one. Don't worry about it. I went Python -> Matlab -> Java -> C ->Assembly -> C++ and I only picked up a language when a class required me to. I think I'm getting to the point where I can just kind of get used to a language's syntax and google what I need to know as I go along.

I specifically chose Python as a first language because it doesn't have semicolons, forces you to indent, and doesn't have boilerplate (public static void main string args, int main, return 0, etc).
>>
>>16641318
That's very helpful. I'm not very good at math, but I managed to pass college algebra. Have Trig and Calc left. You were a math major so my next question would be..

Is being a Math wizard something required for this field? Sorry for the questons,. Don't exactly know any programmers.
>>
File: 1437104993181.png (358KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1437104993181.png
358KB, 800x800px
>>16641140
welcome in the boat anon. I'm 24 in a week and i think about ending it all. I'm a high shool drop out who still uses his fingers for count. I'm also a kissless virgin and have social anxiety and shizoid personality disorder.
I had a feeling to end this life sooner, also at 21 yrs. I should have done it back then, but i live in the present now and am not sad anymore, because i look forward to what is to come. It's a matter of honor, i shouldn't waste time! I'm destined for so much more, but am objectively not able to in this life.
>>
File: 1444467041602.png (79KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1444467041602.png
79KB, 500x300px
I'm very grateful for all the responses by the way guys. I don't feel nearly as bad as I did. I'll keep trying to be a better me.
>>
>>16641329
I don't think that's a reason to kill yourself though man.

Who cares about being a virgin? Don't ask, don't tell. If it comes up, lie ig but it shouldn't. Have you tried getting your G.E.D? You're destined for more?

I had social anxiety but I've worked retail while in school and besides the occasional slip-up. It's way better! Don't give up.
>>
>>16641326
No. Being good at logic is tons more useful than being good at math.
I haven't seen any use of trig, calc, or diff eqs in my CS classes and there probably isn't supposed to be much of that. We should be using linear algebra, but I haven't seen any for some reason. I use a lot of discrete math though, which they'll probably have a class on. Stuff you'll use: boolean logic (truth tables, demorgan's laws), combinatorics (factorial, combination, permutation), converting between bases (binary to hexadecimal to decimal and back), and proof by induction (introducing people to recursion).
This is the main stuff.

Algorithms are absolutely vital and you must learn them later on. Might be worth taking a quick peek at the Algorithm Design Manual, but don't stress out about it now.
>>
>>16641344
it's not just that. My inclinations are about gaining more and more power shaping and/or subduing the world to my will and the will of the people i love.
If i am not able to do it, then i don't wan't to waste my time lingering around in this life anymore. It's a matter of honor! Shameful is what it is living like i do!
When i kill myself i'll be happy and i'll hold my head high while doing it.
>>
>>16641381
You sound like me when I was 17-18 to be honest. The world doesn't work like that, but just because it doesn't doesn't mean you have to quit.

Find a new purpose. Change the world in a positive way. Hell, be a teacher, they're usually weird and eccentric. You'll fit in.

Just throwing suggestions.
>>
>>16641378
Thank you very much. Sitting at a desk all day doesn't sound too exciting but, I think it'll pay off in the long run, and if not. I can always learn a trade later.

I'll go for it. Thank you again!
>>
>>16641392
you don't quite get it, i don't try to become an emperor. I would be content doing such little things as making music and upload it on bandcamp. Just something, if it even leaves a mark on one single person.
But i can't even do that, because i can't concentrate. I am literrally mad.
>>
>>16641140
1. Screw the gf, they drag you down

>source: just escaped a nearly 3 year relationship, it sucked

2. Who cares? Find another job. In the long run it isn't shit.

3. You still have time. Just know that all work sucks and stick with something that makes money

3. Okay, I've had interviews with Big 4 Firms, doesn't mean I got the job. Secondly, what position is she interviewing for? If it's not a loan officer or above, you really shouldn't be jealous. If it's corporate / investment banking than you really don't want that job because they work 90 hour weeks. And day care? Come on. That's not prestigious at all.

You'll get over this feeling soon. We've all been there. Society sucks for anyone who isn't an academic genius. Just stick it out for the time being. I've been where you're at and things have turned up for the most part
>>
>>16641417
I'm not jealous necessarily, I'm really happy my younger sister getting the interview/job. I just feel like I'm always in their shadow

I'm their brother. I want to be see as reliable and well, not a slacker loser.
>>
>>16639680
>>16641177
I use to call gaming my hobby till I realized it consumed my whole fucking life and I stopped talking to my friends because they stopped gaming and did something with their lives. Fuck. On a related note I started programming because I think learning new things is fun and there is a lot to learn and play around with even as a beginner coder.
>>
>>16641413
You want to impact someone's life. Somehow, someway. That's good.

Concentration? Get a planner. Stop fapping or limit it to once a week. Get your G.E.D, and get a job. You don't sound mad, just frustrated that life isn't what you thought it was

It wasn't for a lot of us, but you're here now. Do something with it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.