[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 18 and I've never had a job. Any advice and tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1449383746819.jpg (34KB, 489x479px) Image search: [Google]
1449383746819.jpg
34KB, 489x479px
I'm 18 and I've never had a job. Any advice and tips on how to get one? What to do, what not to do, etc.

any help is appreciated. I'm kind of in a tight spot. my parents are pressuring me to get a job.
>>
same here, would like to read some advice.
>>
>>16622664
Walmart is always hiring. Same with most fast food joints. I didn't get my first job until I was 18, and that was bussing tables for nearly two years. Have a good attitude going in. Never act like you're too good for whatever position they offer, because you're not.

This sounds bad at first, but trust me: tell them what they want to hear. When you get the job, back up your lies with actual work. I was never a team player growing up. I hated working with others, but for my interview, you bet your ass I was team player, because that's what they wanted. I got the job, and since I didn't want to look like a liar, I became a team player against my will.
>>
>>16622664
As long as you're not a psycho I would recommend smaller businesses. They are usually more laid back and flexible with hours. Coffee shops are always a safe job.
>>
>>16622664
>>16622769

some generic, some not, but take it all to heart

>ask everyone you meet

doesnt matter if its a stranger or friend or family member. ask if they know anywhere thats hiring. every job except for the one i have now I got because someone I knew recommended me to someone.

>find the high turn over places

high turn over places have high turn over generally becuase they suck to work at, or because their business model allows them to earn more by replacing people fast. either way, its a good start. if you can tough it out, you got a job. if they are fire happy in the first thirty days to prevent you from getting benefits, you at least get some more time to find another job / money / experience on your resume.

here in los angeles the most high turn over place is abercrombie and fitch. they hire pretty much anyone who walks through the door, even though A&E is known for only hot white people. they are too desperate for workers cuz it sucks.

ask everyone you meet about places like that a swell.

>if at first you dont succeed, lie, lie again.

no one is honest in their resume. the application process has made it impossible to be a REAL person and be honest and still get a job. instead, you gotta lie.

i did one two hour charity shift in highschool where i cleared tables. on my resume, i put it down as 3 months of a seasonal hire at a catering company that caters to charities. and i was a waitor.

my friend once had me move furniture for him in his office. this became another seasonal internship at his office as a tech supervisor.

and it worked really well, with those on my resume i now manage a small office. like legitimately.

>apply everywhere

just do it. you never know how much you will like a job til you try it. was nervous as fuck about working at this office but its fine. you get used to it. so apply everywhere and just quit after the fact if you cant stand it. but give each job a chance.
>>
Apply to anything and everything, and don't think any job is beneath you. Waiting tables, retail, cleaning - apply to it all.
>>
>>16622803

while this is true its harder to get these jobs without actually knowing someone there. still ask around and try to get these jobs, they are sooo comfy. i manage a small office for a psychic and... well im on 4chan right now and hes letting me choose whether or not i come in for the rest of the week as long as i forward calls to my phone.
>>
>>16622664
Try looking on google for local listings. Either that or have a parent(s) who is friends with a person who owns a store. The latter is how I got my first job at a hardware store.
>>
>>16622664

Apply everywhere, look online. Eventually someone will call you.

Retail is a good bet. Any place with high turnover.

If you need a reference, try doing a bit of volunteer work. When I got my job they didn't ask for one. Pretty much just asked me to elaborate on the qualifications section of my resume and then shook my hand.
>>
thanks guys! really appreciate it! :)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.