[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm completely unprepared for my freshman piano jury. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2015-10-30-18-24-29.png (997KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-30-18-24-29.png
997KB, 1080x1920px
I'm completely unprepared for my freshman piano jury. I've been supposed to learn this invention all semester and I've been putting it off because I fucking hate it.
Tomorrow at 10 am, in less than 7 hours, I'm supposed to perform it, along with another piece I kind of know, for the keyboard professors. I'm terrified of what's going to happen. How do I approach this? I'm sick of being a music major but I don't know if I can handle the amount of disapproval I'll be getting tomorrow.
>>
Do your best and ask them for advice. It is their job, after all.
>>
>>16567833
Funny story. I just got done with my piano jury today.
Whether or not you want to do something is irrelevant. I've got another jury for trombone tomorrow, and as much as I hate playing the trombone, I practiced everyday. Same thing with the irrelevant crap. I don't want to study, but that doesn't mean I have a good reason not to. If you don't want to be a music major, you've got literally a week to tough out, and then you can switch majors next semester.
>>
>>16567864
My main problem is, how do I say that I'm not ready for the one piece? It's literally just a Bach invention but I'm a very slow learner
>>
>>16567864
As for how to approach this: I hate to say it, but there's no way to make this any better, but there are many ways you can make it worse. Don't try to weasel your way out of anything. Own up to your mistakes, admit your faults, and don't try to play them off as unimportant. Just like all your professors, they want mature students who take responsibility, so don't try to put on a dramatic act. I'm sorry, but if you haven't done your proper practice, you're kinda fucked.
>>
>>16567872
Yeah. I'll be honest, whatever
But I've already apologized and owned up to mistakes with this teacher and then made the same ones over and over.
I have very bad adhd and hate my medication, my first semester has been complete ass and I'm about to break completely
>>
>>16567871
>but I'm a very slow learner
It's unfair, but if this is a problem, that means you just have to work that much harder than everyone else, and it sucks. To simply put it: you didn't put enough time into it. If you really think you've put all the possible time into this, and couldn't even squeeze another second of practice, then maybe you could say that you think you need more than a semester to learn the piece. If you really could have put more time into it, be honest with yourself and just own up to it. They don't want excuses, and you'd only be fooling yourself.
>>
Do people actually go to college to play an instrument?
>>
>>16567891
I mean. I clearly didn't put in enough time. But I'm also a very slow learner when it comes to the technical side of a piece. Once I learn notes, I can very easily emote through the music, but getting there is a huge process.
>>
>>16567876
>adhd
Have you tried doing really short bursts of intense practice? Like, three minutes of practice, one minute break, three minutes on, one minute off. And each time you come back, work a different section.
>>
>>16567899
Believe it or not, there's a lot of nuance to playing that can't be figured out on your own with youtube videos.
>>
File: WpI0och.jpg (100KB, 856x907px) Image search: [Google]
WpI0och.jpg
100KB, 856x907px
>>16567903
This actually sounds very appealing. I'm actually in a practice room now, still trying to learn it. I've got it perfectly hands apart, the first section together.
Tips for potentially cramming this piece to a playable state in 6 hours?
>>
>>16567932
Tempo de learno
It's better to play it right at a fair tempo than to play it at the proper tempo and risk falling apart.
Also, use hands together as soon as possible. For me, I don't even worry about perfecting it hands apart, because for me, it translates into jack shit when putting hands together. I only play it well enough so I understand what I'm listening for when I put the hands together. Any progress I make beyond that gets reset once I start putting them together. Once I get it figured out hands-together, I'll do hands separate again to isolate one or two things that I need to implement.

If your teacher instructs you otherwise, go with whatever they tell you, but this is what works for me. Good luck.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.