[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to run to a big city of your choosing with nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_1892-Porta_Vista2080294559.png (471KB, 636x474px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1892-Porta_Vista2080294559.png
471KB, 636x474px
Is it possible to run to a big city of your choosing with nothing and actually make it work
>>
>>16566024

depends on your definition of nothing. literally nothing? probably not.

true story here, some changes made to protect the innocent (me)

>be me
>have zilch
>want to move to la and become a filmmaker
>Get accepted to la film school
>mom gives me 1500 bucks
>get a friend who works at the airport to get me a free ticket (its a thing they can do if a flight isnt booked, so i flew out on 9/11)
>stay with gay guy i knew online who lives there that wanted to bang me
>eventually found my own place for 575 a month, first and last up front
>enough left over for food, beverages, and bus pass etc. until my financial aid for school came in

alternatively, you can skip the school part and just use the first month to find yourself a job, though it can be tough. generally speaking you can find out what are the 'easy hires' in each city.

here in la, its the donor services group. 10 bucks an hour to try and raise money over the phone. they have you in monday through friday claiming 8 hours a day, but if you do a bad job (which everyone does, its telefundraising) they send you home early

you usually get fired before the end of the month so they dont have to give you benefits. but its a GREAT way to get some easy money when you first get there and you can keep applying in your spare time.

having friends in the city helps, all the jobs i got here the first few years were recommended to me by friends.
>>
>>16566038
Well that doesn't sound too bad. How long ago was this?

Why does everyone tell me if I go to LA I'll live under a bridge. Are they clueless hicks?
>>
>>16566047

idk man. my boss tells me im spritually 'superior' to other people so being homeless isnt a possible part of my existence.

but if you dont believe that sort of thing ive always been quite a bit 'lucky' in life. some people might come here and fail. i came here and somehow ended up managing an office for a psychic.

it helped that i was a flaming fucking faggot so was able to meet other faggots online before moving out here and they were willing to let me stay til i was situated.

this was back in 2010 though. but not everyone here lives under a bridge so...
>>
>>16566057

Where do you live?
>>
>>16566057
Yeah I'm no lucky fag but I usually can figure stuff out. So a low-skill job should suffice for a little bit?
>>
>>16566085

los angeles.
>>
>>16566089

Where?
>>
>>16566087

depends on your living situation and what are ayou are living in. rents are always going up around here. i pay 760 for my half right now. next year it becomes 781. by 2017 its going to be 804.

but if you are willing to share a room at first you will do okay.

>>16566090

to be more specific, hollywood.
>>
>Is it possible to run to a big city of your choosing with nothing and actually make it work

Possible: yes
Survivor fallacy: yes
>>
oh look! it's that I'M A REDNECK WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN A BIG CITY thread again!

Op, we all know you won't make it.
>>
>>16566099

this
these threads are starting to get pathetic
>someone gib me a place to live for free because i'm a redneck who feels entitled to nice things
>>
>>16566099

>tfw no rednecks in the big city to cuddle with

i mean i had one but he got needy.
>>
>>16566093
Damn your rent moved up from 575 to that or you have a different room now? Are you north Hollywood or west?
>>
>>16566104
Just for the record I would never come live with one of your weirdos id rather shell out the cash for a couch or a closet
>>
>>16566104
>someone gib me a place to live for free because i'm a redneck who feels entitled to nice things

I, too, feel like that's what OP wants, too bad it will literally never happen. Nobody will just take him in and be a chill bro to OP.
>>
>>16566099
It's not rednecks who dream of living in the city. It's people who's necks are polished ivory white, living in all the fake city around the real city. Rednecks wish those cities would get blown the fuck up.
>>
>>16566104

Yep

Good luck coming here, OP. Thanks to the public university system all of your competition have at least an undergraduate degree. You're going to be waiting tables for the rest of your life... if you can manage to find a job at all.
>>
>>16566112

when i first lived here i lived in a small room in the back of a house near macarthur park.

when i moved to hollywood i was paying like 650 at the time, but its steadily gone up roughly 20 bucks a year for me.

but now i got my half of a very nice two bedroom apartment in hollywood. i live in hollywood proper, not north or west. you can actually see the sign from my balcony, not that they light it anymore.

west hollywoods horribly expensive and horribly gay, but thats where my office is so im there daily.
>>
>>16566123

>if you can manage to find a job at all

its really not as hard as this guy is making it out to be. at least it wasn't for me, but i came here like everyone to get a shitty film degree so its not like i had a neck up.
>>
>>16566123
>for the rest of your life

Any non-STEM degree will be worth less than its paper in 10 years, and STEM grads will be judged by what they can make - not what they can attend.

Why? Because of what you just said. Anything with a pulse has a bachelor's degree. If you're betting fifty thousand dollars, are you going to consider something a winning bet because it has this stuff? Even the true mentally retarded tend to have a have a basic grasp on what goes for or against their own immediate interests.
>>
>>16566047
Honestly, that other anon sounds like he just had an extreme amount of luck. Personally, I would avoid LA and NY. I can only speak for NY (because I live here), but everything here is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Just moving to Brooklyn or Manhattan with nothing in your pocket is a easy way to find yourself homeless, and going to the Bronx without knowing anyone (especially as a white dude) is an easy way to get yourself into trouble. Meanwhile, Queens and Staten Island just aren't worth moving to. If your objective is to get into Manhattan, then forget about it. Even if you did find a job, it wouldn't pay enough to support you living there even on a diet of ramen and crackers. The traditionally "poor" neighborhoods are being edged away by more highrises and yuppies, so it's not like in the old days where you could make it in Harlem just by keeping your head down. Same thing is slowly happening to Brooklyn.

I can't see LA or SanFran being much different either, especially when it has a country-wide REPUTATION of being overpriced. Even moreso than NY. Maybe if you went to some other towns or cities outside of those, but I still can't imagine it being all that much better if you're specifying "big city." Personally (And I can't voice any experience, as I've never left the tri-state area), it seems like if your goal was to just pack up and move to another city, the south would be your best bet. Atlanta, Virginia Beach, Bermingham. Places like that, with fewer people (relatively speaking), lower prices, and more jobs.

Maybe give Tuscan or Phoenix Arizona a shot. I have a buddy who lives down there and he loves it. Doesn't really seem like a 'city' city though, since it's a desert with lots of open space.
>>
>>16566146

Not sure what your point is. I'm having issues understanding because it doesn't seem like English is your first language.
>>
>>16566147

>EXTREME AMOUNT OF LUCK

i dont think so. i mean dont get me wrong its not like id know any homeless people since im not, but theres always jobs lying around as simple as being a production assistant or waiting tables or working at the yogurt hut or working at A&E (they will hire anyone asap) etc.

not everyone will end up managing an office, but maybe ur right, maybe i just had a long string of really good luck.
>>
I worked with many homeless folks in Los Angeles, and almost all of their backstories began with this. Take that as you will.

My advice: do not go anywhere that you do not either have already have a job, a support network, or schooling. Going to school in a big city is the easiest entry-route, because you can build a support and business network during the time you are pursuing your education. If you already have a bachelors degree, go for a masters.
>>
>>16566252

To continue what I was saying, and in response to this:
>>16566047

No, there is a great deal of reality to this statement. Almost the entire homeless community of LA county--one of the largest in North America--began by coming looking for a different life. If you do not either have some kind of support network there, or do not have a support network at home that can bail you out if things go south, I strongly recommend against it unless you want to end up a homeless, destitute, drug-addicted prostitute or criminal. LA county is a very harsh and unforgiving place, and it lacks the fundamental infrastructure that other cities offer--such as efficient and readily accessible public transportation. It is also extremely expensive and everything that will be in your price range will be old, run down, and in bad parts of town. If you want to a city with some opportunity, then go to Austin, TX. It has a great economy, good public infrastructure, and the cost of living is agreeable. Houston, TX is even more cost effective: you can get a two bedroom apartment that is in decent condition in the city proper in walking distance to the metro system for $875/month. The downsides of Houston are mainly in the climate and some cultural tensions due to the high immigrant influx there due to the Texas Medical Center and Corporate Oil. Basically, all the major cities in Texas are pretty agreeable and cost-effective places to live. Atlanta is also a really cool city that isn't terribly expensive. In a nutshell: if you want to live the city life without being strangled by the cost of living, pick a city in the Southeast USA.
>>
>>16566285
The people that said I'd end up under a bridge were assuming if you went with enough cash to hold you over for awhile
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.