[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /adv/, I've been thinking lately, about beliefs. From

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: goblet.png (87KB, 350x640px) Image search: [Google]
goblet.png
87KB, 350x640px
Hi /adv/,
I've been thinking lately, about beliefs. From years of lurking on /b/, I've come to realize that most of you do not believe in a God. While this does not represent everybody, it is clearly a majority on this website. Likewise, most of you believe in evolution. I'm not judging, nor am I taking a stance, just pointing out what I've observed.

I, too used to believe in things. God, Santa, socks, you name it. I've come to realize that I don't believe in... anything. At all.

Is this normal? Can anybody else relate? Am I just depressed? (I've been feeling depressed and overwhelmed since starting grad school).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
>>
Agnostic.
>>
>>16446962
>>16446962
You're not wrong.
If you had to slap a label on me regarding religion, it would be agnostic atheist.
As I've said, I don't believe in a God, as I've seen no evidence for one.

Could I be agnostic about everything though? Like, why must people have beliefs?
>>
File: omfg.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
omfg.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>16446954
i'm wearing thick socks right now , they are comfy as fugg.I do not believe in god either anon.as for depression , eat well sleep well and move more
also meditate . jon kabat-zinn has some goood
vids on jewtube
>>
File: what.png (72KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
72KB, 495x398px
>>16446954
>believe in evolution
>>
>>16446973
>>16446973
The weird thing is, I HAVE been doing all of those. I used to be a competitive athlete, so I've been active, fit, and healthy my entire life.

I'm glad you're wearing "comfy as fugg" socks. The only point I was trying to make about that was regarding observation. There is evidence of the socks. You can see and feel the socks. There is no arbitrary belief.
>>
>>16446983
Not sure what point you're trying to make. Some of the American presidential candidates have expressed a disbelief in evolution. That's entirely fine, as they're entitled to their own opinion. However, we have countless pieces of evidence of evolution, so it's a generally frowned upon belief.
On the flipside, most of them believe in a higher power, despite a lack of evidence towards one.
>>
>>16446962
Me, too.

It's normal, OP, after realizing there is nothing worthwhile in life. We waste our days doing things we hate, for funny-looking pieces of paper that enable food and shelter. One chance at life, and this is reality in the modern world.

This is life, most likely nothing occurs after death, and that is it. People wonder why others commit suicide, use dangerous drugs, fuck everything that they can, etc...
>>
File: 1443323615913.gif (763KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1443323615913.gif
763KB, 500x281px
>>16446993
Fuck presidential candidates! Do you honestly think those guys actually believe in god? Politicians just use god as a leverage to get more votes but americans are too busy worshipping their non-existent god to see that.
>>
>>16446993
Not thinking evolution is a reality is pure ignorance or, in the case of presidential candidates, an attempt to get the redneck vote
just like
>>16447001
said
>>
>>16447000
this. so true and depressing.

also explains why so many buy so hard into god and religion.

nice trips btw.
>>
I think you may be looking at this the wrong way. And yes, it's possible you're depressed, but it's hard to say for sure over the internet.

Let's try an exercise. Try to think of something, anything that you do believe in and talk about it here. Do you believe that people are inherently good? Do you believe your mother loves you? Do you believe that your pants will still fit the same in the morning?
>>
File: welf.jpg (445KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
welf.jpg
445KB, 1280x1024px
i practice theravada buddhism. the western kind, full of liberal feels and lots of hugs.
>>
>>16447000
There is no objective meaning to life, there is nothing objectively 'worthwhile', besides the things you deem worth your time and effort. You create the meanings in your life. And people get put into shit situations so they turn to shit like drugs and school shootings, but it's entirely possible to believe there is no meaning to life other than the ones you give it and still be happy to some degree

>>16447045
Yeah, Freud and Marx were right in some sense when they said religion is a comfort for people who feel they need guidance instead of independence, a way of dealing with how shit life can be
>>
>>16446954
Look up the Basal assumptions
>>
>>16447052
I do not believe people are inherently good. However, I have seen that some people are good and that others are not so good.
I do not believe that my mother loves me, but I have seen evidence that she does things for me. I know that she emails me occasionally saying that she does, but that's it.
I do not believe that my pants will fit in the morning. However, I have felt that they have fit the same every day for the past few months.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm going insane.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll look into it.
>>
>>16446954
You don't "believe" in evolution any more than you "believe" that 2+2=4. It is the best available explanation for observed facts, and has been tested and found true repeatedly.

You do have to "believe" in religion, because it offers no evidence and just demands that its premises be accepted without question or testing.

So what has happened to you is that you find you can no longer just take a priest/rabbi/guru/imam's word for it and find facts that can be demonstrated and proven more acceptable.

It's sometimes called growing up.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.