[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Johan Liebert. Where do I begin? Firstly, he wasn't any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: johan2-578x433.jpg (16KB, 578x433px) Image search: [Google]
johan2-578x433.jpg
16KB, 578x433px
Johan Liebert. Where do I begin?

Firstly, he wasn't any different from any human is. He doesn't have any super powers, no Super Saiyan, no Getsuga Tenshou, no Gear Fourth, no Sage mode. None of these. What he has is human abilities. And yet he is scary.

1. He MAKES people serial killers.
2. He makes said serial killers do his bidding.
3. Said serial killers are scared of just even hearing his name.
4. He talks people into suicide.
5. He's basically a phantom. People don't know he exists.
6. Everything he does (kills, burns place down, etc), he is unwavering on the decisions.
7. Best of all, after killing a person, he doesn't flinch the least bit. No reaction whatsoever. Just like killing a mosquito.

Everything he did seems realistic, what a human could do. And the fact that everything is realistic makes him THAT much more scarier. Would we be scared of an Aizen? Or a Frieza? No because we know for sure that even if they exist in some corner of the universe, we would have a 0% chance of meeting them. But someone like Johan Liebert possibly could exist among us, living as a normal likeable citizen. The realism is what makes him that good and that much scarier.
>>
Yes, is not a shounen series.
>>
>>161874888
>Comparing shonen villains to a seinen one.
Wish you had put this in the beginning so I would’ve stopped reading then.
>>
>>161874888
Just plot armor.
He would be an autist irl
>>
File: 20thcenturyboys.jpg (19KB, 336x274px) Image search: [Google]
20thcenturyboys.jpg
19KB, 336x274px
>>161874888
Who's scarier, Johan or Friend? Or the other Friend?
>>
>>161874888
IDK man, he seemed to have a supernatural ability to influence people, and that drunk who shoots him seeing him as the demon with 7 heads, seems too much to be a coincidence. Motherfucker is the devil.
>>
File: johan 2.jpg (25KB, 398x389px) Image search: [Google]
johan 2.jpg
25KB, 398x389px
I've recently watched Monster and I like Johan, but he's not particularly realistic. I didn't think he was scary because of realism either. The show goes out of his way to build up his myth and make him seem larger than life. His methods are totally unorthodox and mostly rely on emotional manipulation which is pretty unreliable in real life. He would go out of his way to expose himself and bond with his victims relying only on a vague notion that they're gonna preform exactly as he needs them to and not snitch on him in the process. He also routinely exposes himself to mortal danger under the vague and uncertain assumption that things are gonna work out for him (playing the grander version of the roof game).

I was always under the impression that Johan is not meant to be scary because he's realistic, but because he's sort of an unrealistic character in a realistic setting. He's more of a myth than a man. Many of his actions, methodologies and achievements are never demystified and he has monstrous luck and charisma. He's actually not the typical ultra-rational keikaku doori type of mastermind, rather his methods are downright insane and irrational a lot of the times, plus he really likes to get in close and personal in all of his encounters due to his lack of fear. I got the sense that he wouldn't give a shit if he died at any point in the series, and that lack of fear and direction is what allowed him to be the unpredictable monster he is.
>>
>>161876802
>Many of his actions, methodologies and achievements are never demystified and he has monstrous luck and charisma
Absolutely this. The guy is Manson-tier, even beyond.
>>
He's like the Joker, but without the mad laugh. Actually the whole series is kind of like Batman without the superhero motif.
>>
johan liebert did nothing wrong
>>
>>161875126
well let me read monster first but I would say friend is scarier. the man is basically a cult leader and because he has no "face" I think its hard for us humans to really hate someone with no face.
>>
Monster was pretty fucking boring

I expected more from 70 fucking episodes of build up

Is the manga somehow better?
I really don't give a shit that these kids were abused or experimented on and Johan isn't that scary of an antagonist
They make him out to be such a big deal that I half expected some Junji Ito level of non-sense at the end especially considering all the foreboding nameless monster stories that they bring up over and over
I understand that it is a unique concept not seen in the East but I feel like the West has a better grasp on psychological killers so Monster really pales in comparison
>>
File: tenor.gif (1MB, 498x278px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
1MB, 498x278px
Didn't realize how much Johan was modeled after Hannibal til just now.
>>
>>161874888
Johan is literally me
Intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>161875036
When an Autist puts their brain capacity to a very specific task they can become ridiculously proficient at it.
>>
>>161878411
Nina has all of these and in addition, funbags.
>>
I finished Monster this week. It was genuinely terrible. I'm not even going to get into the terrible animation and coloring, because it speaks for itself.
The big problem was that the characters just weren't believable in the slightest. Lunge, Tenma, and Johan were the biggest offenders, along with the two psychiatrists. Their motivations just weren't well formed at all. All of the "this person is secretly a murderer" episodes became extremely predictable and formulaic by the end.
Also, the voice actor for Tenma was not able to carry the drama well at all, and it sounds tired and forced. Which makes sense, since seiyuus have no training in real dramatic acting. They're just industry workers.
It's try-hard pseudointellectuals bullshit. Please stop recommending this to people. I could go on, but I don't wanna argue about Monster all morning.
>>
>>161879751
Please do, I wanna hear your reasoning
I remember hating the cliches, they were insane
>mexican standoff
>gunshot, camera pans up or outsude the building
>hello mr. X, no, Y
>dramatic wind constantly everywhere
Also episode 18 was the most useless anime episode I've ever seen
>>
>>161880164
Yeah, it was a lot of that kind of stuff. Easy characterisations defined by edgy backstories (my father was a spy, my wife left me because I'm a workaholic, I'm a sad old man who put work before his family), constantly reshowing scenes (the "tadaima" scene was shown about as many times as a magical girl transformation), 1-dimensional motivations (every character). My list of problems with the writing was endless really. The cinematography was non-existent. A good 70% of the episodes were just talking faces.
>>
nobody should be afraid of him. a bullet would stop him.
>>
>>161880504
He got shot in the head twice and lived
He's on par with team rocket, he's comic relief that won't die because the author needs him
>>
>>161876882
it's also like xmen but without mutants
>>
>>161879751
Calm down there buddy, I think K-ON is more your speed
>>
>>161881123
You're a retard. If you'd ever done a decent amount of reading, you'd realize how terrible the coincidences and truisms of garbage like Monster really are. At least K-on!! has good production values and is actually a success as piece of animation, not a half-assed novel with PowerPoint accompaniment like Monster.
>>
Was I the only one who got bored as all fuck watching this series?
>>
>>161881345
Read the thread, you clearly weren't.
>>
>>161881414
By the looks of it, most people didn't like it, but since it was such a long series they try to justify watching it by saying it's great
That and pseudo-intellectuals that want to appear sophisticated after watching a Chinese toons
>>
>>161874888
Humans don't have mind control powers. Johan has supernatural powers, they're just not explained.
>>
>>161883252
This, he's male Junko
He's a fantastic character that's stuck in a boring series
>>
>>161874888
>Everything he did seems realistic, what a human could do
No, no human would be able to convince 3 separate people commit murder just by drawing names on the sand.
Not to mention all the bullshit that can only be accomplished with Johan being in 3 places at once.
>>
>>161876802
Most of his shenanigans are explained throughout the show though, we even see how he manipulates people
>>
>>161884337

True, some aspects are demystified, but it's only the tip of the iceberg to give us some idea of how he went about doing things. He manipulated several organizations behind the scenes and there's an entire web of interactions that we never got to see. The example with that detective is good but it doesn't explain his overwhelming success. I think they purposely left him mysterious to make him seem more superhuman.
>>
>>161874888
Monster is shit and Johan is a twink faggot who would be killed by literally any adult male with even just a few months of combat training. Stop posting this you sad virgin.
>>
>get shot by a drunk hobo
>>
>>161884635
>who would be killed by literally any adult male with even just a few months of combat training
that's not the point dumbass
>>
File: johan.png (120KB, 418x315px) Image search: [Google]
johan.png
120KB, 418x315px
>>161874888
The best part about Johan imo that doesn't get enough attention is that he wasn't only this 'I can manipulate everything because I can predict everything' but he took insane chances. He many times put his life on the line and expected to die, just for fate to randomly side with him and let him live.
>>
Monster is pretty good i should rewatch it
>>
>>161875009
Shonen and seinen are not genres.
>>
>>161876802
Pretty good post anon.

From what I could remember, Johan was smart, but not some 800 IQ genius. He simply did the things he did by pure lack of fear.

You cannot plan how people will act or react, even if you think you know them better than anyone. Sure, he probably had some unmatched "emotional intelligence", and took a shortcut into knowing people by using his charisma, but by the end of the day it was but a gamble.
>>
File: .png (46KB, 196x158px) Image search: [Google]
.png
46KB, 196x158px
>>161884659
>The only way to defeat someone who talks everyone into suicide and murder acts is to stop thinking
Whoa
>>
I wish to live like Johan. Could you imagine how great life would be having an empty room with no attachments to actually hold you down?
>>
>>161874888
for the first ten episodes I was convinced he was literally the antichrist

monster is so fucking good
>>
>>161881123
Don't shitpost about shows you haven't seen. The mouth-breathing Monster fanbase will just assume it's bad.
>>
>>161881345
>was I the only one who
No. Fuck off.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.