[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What in fuck is wrong with Anime episode titles? It's literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0190.jpg (20KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0190.jpg
20KB, 300x168px
What in fuck is wrong with Anime episode titles? It's literally a synopsis. What's some other ridiculous examples of this?
>>
>>161604801
「城之内死す」
>>
>>161604801
japs have no concept of subtlety everything needs to be explicitly laid out for them otherwise they dont get it. its why all animes have closeup cuts to people in the background explaining everything that is going on, otherwise the japs wont understand. also why jap media like evangelion where it doesnt explain exactly what is going on is seen as amazing and groundbreaking
>>
>>161604801
Light novel titles are worse. One example:

I'm A High School Boy and a Successful Light Novel Author, But I'm Being Strangled By A Female Classmate Who's A Voice Actress And Is Younger Than Me
>>
>>161605030
FPBP

Literally the first thing that came to my mind.
>>
>>161605030
What
>>
>>161605086
>ut I'm Being Strangled By A Female Classmate Who's A Voice Actress And Is Younger Than M
boner why
>>
How about the episode of One Piece where it just flat out says Ace Dies in the title
>>
It's a tradition. Have you seen the original trailer for seven samurai? "This is a story about seven samurai, these ones die "
>>
>>161605394
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%E5%9F%8E%E4%B9%8B%E5%86%85%E6%AD%BB%E3%81%99
>>
"Koji Kabuto dies in Lava"
>>
>>161605086
Light novels have an excuse. The market is so over-saturated that people only glance at the titles for something they think is interesting. Putting a short summary of the story in place of the title is a good way to immediately tell people if they'd be interested in the story.
>>
>>161604801
The only anime that does this is shounenshit for kids, but I guess that's the only anime you're familiar with, so fuck off to whenever you came from, crossboarder scum.
>>
>>161605038
>its why all animes have closeup cuts to people in the background explaining everything that is going on, otherwise the japs wont understand.
Actually that's just a holdover from manga, where actions that can't be properly explained in still frames needed to be explained to the reader. Why this still exists in anime is beyond me, probably either for padding or just because they haven't learned to cut that shit out.
>>
>The Magician does not Return
Never forgive, never forget.
>>
>>161605580
I think he was asking what it meant.
>>
>In a City Without Light, a Lone Fist Burns! - Furious Death of the Five Exploding Fingers!
>Villains! - Shall We Have a Countdown to Death?
>The Raging Flame Reverse Flow Punch! - There Are Too Many Who Must Die!
>Sing For Me, Villains! The Counting Rhymes of Hell!
>Villains! - Listen to the Blues of Hell!
>Only Villains Can Smile! - How I Hate This Age!
>The Death Omen Star Shines! Fist King, Do You Control Even Death?!
>An Explosion of Secret Techniques! BEYOND HATRED IS THE FATE FOR THE BROTHERS OF THE NORTH STAR

HnK has the best titles.
>>
>>161605038
>japs have no concept of subtlety
The more I think about it the truer it seems.
>>
>>161604801
Happens in Pokemon too. Sometimes they'll outright lie to you with it: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

What a bold-faced lie.
>>
>>161606570
I mean, they don't actually specify whose victory it is.
>>
>>161606430
I can't read kanji and I can clearly tell that it means "x character dies" by this link.
>>
Because they don't generally consider knowing what's going to happen to "spoil" the experience of watching it. At least not to the extent that spergs here do.
>>
File: ZlPpDck.jpg (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZlPpDck.jpg
218KB, 1920x1080px
> Judging anime by shitty English translations
>>
>>161606430
"Jounouchi (=Joey) dies"
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 200x295px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 200x295px
>>161604801
Almost every show from the 70's.

Also:
>episode titles that contain spoilers
Fucking why?!
>>
File: 1492846159486.jpg (40KB, 640x705px) Image search: [Google]
1492846159486.jpg
40KB, 640x705px
>>
>>161605030
>>161607280
On that note: Is 死す different from 死ぬ or are they practically the same?

Whatever is vs-c supposed to mean anyway? 死す is clearly no する verb.
>>
>>161606314
It still exists because actually animating things is too expensive for them most of the time.
>>
>>
>>161605038
>its why all animes have closeup cuts to people in the background explaining everything that is going on, otherwise the japs wont understand.

So that put americans even on a lower level because most dubs have to dub EVEN scenes where nobody's talking.
>>
I hate how shonen manga chapter titles are always written like 'Overly Optimistic Sentence - Something Related to the Story!!'.
>>
File: 198547214541.jpg (168KB, 605x489px) Image search: [Google]
198547214541.jpg
168KB, 605x489px
>>161605038
Basically this.

Let's face it - was there anybody who played Final Fantasy X and did not IMMEDIATELY realize you were on a suicide-mission? The writers thought that was a dramatic reveal.
>>
>episode preview and title suggest that a character dies
>watch the episode
>character doesn't actually die

>>161605038
I partially agree but it's more about how they lay things out to create tension.
>>
>>161605038

> The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates
>>
>>161611796
Shh, let the kids laugh at those silly Elevens in peace. Their titles are so long and random, am I right?!!
>>
>>161612041
The only thing this demonstrates is that Japanese authors and publishers are stuck in the eighteenth century, which is fitting.
>>
File: Back to Reddit.png (285KB, 448x421px) Image search: [Google]
Back to Reddit.png
285KB, 448x421px
>>161613899
>preferring modern 'literature'
>>
>>161613941
You're really reaching.
>>
anyone who says japs are unsubtle hasn't read modern japanese literature. Snow Country for example.

no shit childrens shows will be unsubtle
>>
File: 1408929304083.jpg (110KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
1408929304083.jpg
110KB, 768x512px
Dear God, do not ever watch an episode preview in shows directed by this man. Narration starts immediately with the biggest spoiler and works its way down from there.
>>
>>161614155
Well it's like that for pretty much anything. Similar to how /tv/ likes to think they're experts on anime, /a/ does the same thing with LNs, VNs, Japanese live action, literature etc. The average post about these things is just
>it's all shit except some of the few things I've read/watched
Popular choices include mentioning Kurosawa, Dazai, Romeo(-sama).
>>
File: 1473329991912.png (228KB, 371x482px) Image search: [Google]
1473329991912.png
228KB, 371x482px
>>161614562
>/tv/ likes to think they're experts on anime
>>
File: 1497235153858.png (605KB, 1740x750px) Image search: [Google]
1497235153858.png
605KB, 1740x750px
I don't think any episode title can be more spoilery than:
"The Brave Hero Leomon Dies"
>>
>>161607534
google it
「死ぬ」は、三省堂例解辞書によれば、「活用語尾の『ぬ』が完了の助動詞と同じで、『死んでしまう』という意味であった。中世になると、完了の含みが失われて現在と同じ意味になり、完了の意味を添えるには、『死ににけり』のように、助動詞『ぬ』を接続させるようになる。」と解説されています。例文は、「『われこそ死なめ』とて泣きののしること、いと耐えがたきなり」(竹取物語)、「これまで逃れ来るは、汝と一所で死なんと思ふためなり」(平家物語)などがあります。いずれも、死んでしまうという情感が込められているように思います。

一方、「死す」の文法的な説明は残念ながらありませんでしたが、思うに、「死す」とは、「死」+「す」(補助動詞、~する)と考えられませんか。「死」という現象を客観的にとらえて、その現象が発生することを、「死す」と言っているのではないでしょうか。もっとも、これは、素人の思いの足りない解釈ですので、他の方の回答も見ていただいたほうがよいと思います。

「死す」の例文としては、徒然草の、「身死して財残ることは、智者のせざるところなり」(我が身が死んだ後に財宝が残ることは、知恵ある人のしないところである。)があります。また、奥の細道に、「古人も多く旅に死せるあり」というのがあります。

これらをもし、「死ぬ」で言い換えると、どうなるでしょうか。前者は「身死にて財残ることは、智者のせざるところなり」となると思います。しかし、後者は「死せる」の「る」(存続「り」の連体形)は、四段動詞の命令形、サ変動詞の未然形に接続することから、ナ変の「死ぬ」に「り」は接続せず、言い換えることはできないと思います。(もっとも、これも、素人の思いの足りない解釈ですので、他の方の回答も見ていただいたほうがよいと思います。)
>>
>>161605086
This is actually an inside joke at this point.

It's getting overdone because the LN industry is an incestuous echo chamber where the exact same idea gets done over and over in slightly different ways because the authors have no creativity and the publishers don't want creativity.

Proof? Konosuba is fucking beloved for being a bog-standard comedy instead of a shitty harem isekai. Like, it's funny, it's got good characters and pretty decent writing, but in the end it's a basic comedy that doesn't even manage to dodge a lot of the tropes it's parodying. And it's probably the pinnacle of the modern LN industry.

So the long title thing is just a running joke that is getting run into the ground because every SINGLE LN author thinks in the exact same way and they all believe that it's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>161605038
It's because anime is for children.
>>
>>161604801
What is every Japanese light novel ever?
>>
>>161611796
I've always loved olde-tymey plays and books where they actually tell you what's about to happen. It's just so classy.

>Wherein the Main Character is Struck by a Truck and Succumbs to his Injuries, Only to Wake up in a Parallel World, to Find That He is Blessed with a Cheat Power and is Destined to Face the Demon Lord
>Wherein the Main Character Decides That the First Thing to do is to Buy a Slave Girl and Turn Her Into His Devoted Harem Member Against Her Will (But Don't Worry -- She Will Love Him Unconditionally Due to His Kindness, Therefore it Isn't Immoral)
>Wherein the Main Character Makes Fried Rice -- All Are Impressed
>Wherein the Main Character Implements Crop Rotation in a Massive Agricultural Society Which, Without Crop Rotation, Has Somehow Managed to Not Starve To Death
>Wherein the Harem Members Fight Over the Main Character Because He is Simply That Great of a Guy, All Being Attracted to His Kindness and Otherwise Featureless Personality (Save For a Token Perversion Which He Refuses to Act Upon No Matter How His Sultry Harem Attempts to Seduce Him)

So great.
>>
>>161615995
A miserable little pile of papers. But enough talk. Have at you!
>>
>>161614155
It's easy to think all Japanese literature is unsubtle as fuck when the most exposure on has to it are basically the equivalent of American young adult novels.
>>
>>161615567
>google it
Thanks for copypasting an answer anyway.
>>
>>161604801
Pretty much every show until the 1980s did this. Police Squad! had a gag about it.
>>
>>161604801
Macross Frontier made fun of this.
>>
File: found out.png (790KB, 870x1236px) Image search: [Google]
found out.png
790KB, 870x1236px
they are aware of it.
>>
>>161605591
Possible best anime episode title ever.
>>
>>161604801
Brechtian story telling
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.