[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just saw this and honestly I can't see what's so bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0247.jpg (122KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0247.jpg
122KB, 424x600px
Just saw this and honestly I can't see what's so bad about it, why the critic hated it?
>>
It was a horrible adaptation of the actual manga arc in that it cuts out a lot of characters, changes the story drastically just to spoonfeed newcomers on how gantz works at the beginning, and removed a lot of the tension that made the arc good.

As a stand-alone film, it's quite vague in its plot structure, like how the aliens just exist for no reason and only fight back because humans are hunting them. There's also the problem where the character interactions are weak, and the starting and end points of the movie feel random and non-satisfactory.

If should have just straight-up adapt the manga arc or be its own thing, because it's just a messy story that wastes the gorgeous effects and voice talents.
>>
>>161539761
Need more Reika's ass.
>>
>>161539981
Maybe they assumed the audience watched the liveaction films?
>>
I liked a lot.
Didn't read a lot of the manga though.
>>
>>161540492
The live action films are a different story entirely as of the second one. Gantz:O is mainly targeted towards those who read the manga because it adapts the fan-popular Osaka arc.
>>
>>161539981
>and removed a lot of the tension that made the arc good
Any specific examples? It's been a while since I've read the manga, but the movie seemed to be everything I would want from a Gantz adaptation: good visuals, crazy fights, tense scenes, gore and despair, Reika's tits.
It did seem to be intended as fan-service for those who are already familiar with the source material/movies, throwing a little bone to newcomers at the beginning. Any inconsistencies from the source seemed to be small or insignificant since we won't get adaptations for the things following or preceding this anyway. Not a waste by a long shot.
>>
>>161540725
It mainly has to do with the loss of significant characters that make the team feel like a team. Not having Muscle Rider and the kid really screws up the fight because he was largely responsible for dealing a lot of damage to the boss. Also the scene where the kid gets hurt and Muscle Rider was desperate to win was one of the best highlights of the arc for me.

Another highlight is the psychic sensei who openly spoke out that he doesn't want to be revived. It was a meaningful scene because it showed how tiresome and soulless it is to continue playing and reviving each other, and he risked his life to save everyone while being certain that it will be his last moment ever. That's what I liked about Gantz: the parts where characters question their existence with all the alien shit, the warfare, and the survival themes being at stake. The movie didn't have much of that, and really feel flat when it tries to retcon some things just to fit whatever it can in its timeframe. I just think the film should have either went all-out with the manga adaptation or don't, rather than just half-assing it and leaving this action-and-talking flick with non of the tension and sophisticated matter from the arc.
>>
I don't get the ending, why was Kato shocked when he got home?
>>
They left out the guy fucking the alien.
>>
>>161542280
At least the booby alien is still there
>>
>>161539761
Visual noise/film grain
>>
>>161540725
Also, they completely butchered Kato's character so horribly that it ruins the entire adaptation for me. He wasn't just suppose to be fighting to survive and see his little bro again, but he was also fighting to revive back Kurono as a debt for saving him back. He believes his revived existence cannot be deserved until he pays back to Kurono and willingly takes on the boss head-on as the bait. The movie just made it seem like Kato was a newbie who quickly catches on (until it's revealed at the end that he was a player before), but it didn't have his nice-friend character that was eager to save Kurono more than being freed from Gantz. It's just too insulting for those who read the manga and know the context, from my perspective, that is.
>>
>>161539761
It's good if you treat it as stand-alone or maybe one of these alternate settings stories. If you've already read the manga and watched the anime, I don't know why you'd have strong feelings about this movie either way. I'm more anxious about the upcoming Inuyashiki adaptation by MAPPA (pls don't be CG).
>>
>>161543753
>I'm more anxious about the upcoming Inuyashiki adaptation by MAPPA (pls don't be CG).
Nigger what
>>
>>161539761
Its made for the fans, as a stand alone film it doesn't do things very well to cater to the audience. Meaning the screen play is shit, appaenrtly. But its great even with the changes made from the manga. And honestly gants will never get a full on anime series, if anything it'll get the berserk treatment.
>>
File: 69c5e091f870ec16acf2d3845dc9f664.jpg (431KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
69c5e091f870ec16acf2d3845dc9f664.jpg
431KB, 900x1300px
>>161540147
Need more Reika period
>>
>>161543753
>I'm more anxious about the upcoming Inuyashiki adaptation by MAPPA (pls don't be CG)
Nigga what?
>>
>>161543753
This is my home board and this is the first time I've heard about this, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>161539761
I liked it a lot. Critics (who exactly, though I recall some feminists being triggered by it instantly) probably hated it because they weren't very familiar with the original material. I felt it was a film that was made for people who had already read the manga a long time ago, minimal infodumping about the world and setting.

CG was as good as I'd hoped it'd be though I watched it on my cousin's Netflix account so there was some artifacting in some scenes, but that's my own fucking fault. Seeing the H-guns in action was pretty fulfilling. The story certainly had issues in how it cut a lot of things out. The decision to make Kurono more or less irrelevant was a good choice, I think. Though I doubt they'd make one, I wouldn't mind a sequel.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.