[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this series feel forgotten by modern Shonen fans? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

File: Ruroken.jpg (195KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Ruroken.jpg
195KB, 640x960px
Why does this series feel forgotten by modern Shonen fans? It's one of the GOAT series
>>
Because it's really not and is mostly forgettable after Shishio
>>
>>160170314
You shut your whore mouth nigga
>>
>>160170314
But the Jinchuu arc actually dealt with the emotional themes of the series and the characters actually developed and grew both as fighters and as people. Fuck, Yahiko's story alone in that arc made it more memorable than not.
>>
Only memorable arc was his past with Tomoe which was later animated and easily became the best OVA out there.
>>
>>160170275
>forgotten by modern Shonen fans?
It's because modern Shonen fans are underage (rightfully so). So, you shouldn't expect them to remember an old series such as that.
>>
File: AkuSokuZan.jpg (5KB, 73x266px) Image search: [Google]
AkuSokuZan.jpg
5KB, 73x266px
>>160170275
Because it's 90% nostalgia. I loved the hell out of this when I first saw it. I bought that cool box set and every issue of the manga. Now The Manga is good, and probably still holds up, but I checked this out on Netflix recently and the Anime just drags shit out worse than Dragonball Z. It has some cool moments, but there are so many cheap "artistic" animation decisions that involve the camera panning and slowly over a single still image while cicada noises play, or the narration drags on for five or seven minutes without any actual animation on the screen. And how long did that last Shishio fight take in the anime? 3 episodes? He was only supposed to be able to go for 15 minutes before he overheated. Even given that he did ultimately do that, it still should have been just one episode.
>>
>>160170275
It got a few live action movies. No Jinchuu though.
>>
How's the sequel manga been doing
>>
>>160170275
The manga was great but jesus the anime was drawn out and not that great. I love the characters but I just watched through the Shishio arc and it took me a month to watch the last 10 eps of it. It's just slow and kinda boring.

The Trust and Betrayal/Tsuioku-hen OVA is amazing though, absolutely worth watching even if you dont see the series.
>>
>>160170275

Trust & Betrayal is probably its greatest legacy, and that's decidedly not Shonen.
>>
File: new_kyoto_Arc_kenshin_thumb.jpg (62KB, 563x358px) Image search: [Google]
new_kyoto_Arc_kenshin_thumb.jpg
62KB, 563x358px
I wish someone talked me out of watching this.

Part 1 was alright, but then it nose dived at part two. Too many changes I didn't like.
>>
>>160170275
Manga - Pretty fun.
TV Series (first 26 episodes) - Boring.
TV Series (Shishio-arc) - Really good.
TV Series (fillers) - Shit.
Tsuioku-hen OVA - Fantastic!
Seisou-hen - Decent but what?
Shin Kyoto-hen - Just a re-cap.

IWASAKI!
https://youtu.be/zJP0SC7rrz0
>>
Misao is forever best girl
>>
Because OPtards have no taste
>>
>>160173985
This is true, although RuroKen has slim pickings for female characters unfortunately.
>>
>>160173771
Yeah it really was terrible
>>
>>160174019

Quality over quantity. Modern shonen would introduce 3 dozen characters who barely show up once a season
>>
>>160170275
Why do newfags like this pretending they know what series have been forgotten or not?
No one forgot about Kenshin. We just don't talk about it because it's mediocre and it's been discussed to death.
>>
>>160174117
We've discussed Yu Yu Hakusho to death too but that gets threads every so often.
>>
>>160174163
because of togashi
>>
>>160174163
because in HxH threads it's used as comparisson, so more newfags get to watch it and it creates more "new" discussion, while RK isn't linked to a mega popular manga directly, so there are fewer threads
>>
>>160170275
Am I gay for liking Kenshin so much I copied his haircut?
>>
>>160170275
Because faggots like
>>160170314
>>160173771
>>160174057
>>160174117
Never have any real arguments, they just randomly post "Kenshin isn't actually that good" without explanation, on the other hand you can feel the silent influence it had on basically every shounen out there so anything you say about Kenshin has already been said already.

Also friendly reminder that Oda worked as an asistant to Nobuhiro and swords island is Next in One Piece.
>>
>>160174425
New Kyoto Arc is trash you fucking retard. Why don't you read the posts
>>
>>160174376
nah, i don't know why long hair on males has a bad rep these days, historically men had hair as long as females, now if you want a decent job you need a short haircut, also Kenshin is quite good looking
>>
>>160174425
Your post doesn't even make sense. The reason Kenshin doesn't get discussion isn't because people make fun of it, that would just make more discussion. People don't discuss it because their is nothing to discuss. It's a generic battle shounen
>>
>>160174376
That's even gayer than wanting to fuck him, anon.
>>
File: KenshinBattosai.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
KenshinBattosai.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Best OST off all time.
>>
>>160174483
And there it goes again, you people keep saying "It's bad" thinking that's an argument, for example I can tell you that other than the gaiden of Battousai most of the post-Shishio part is "let's have X character in Kenshin's faction fight Y character in anti-Kenshin faction" which took away most if not all of the actual tension of the manga since you knew Kenshin's faction would win.
>>
>>160174551
You probably also believe that Dragon Ball if full of shounen cliches.
>>
>>160170275

Most "modern shounen fans" are too young to remember it. Besides, it was really more of a seinen, anyways.

>>160174117

Oh really? And just what the fuck do you watch? Moeshit?
>>
>>160170275
Because it has a terrible amount of filler episodes.

Everyone still remembers the manga, though, and the franchise is still alive and well thanks to all the live-action movies and new stuff they make every year.
>>
File: IMG_20170225_175332.jpg (182KB, 720x873px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_175332.jpg
182KB, 720x873px
I think it's solely because new content isn't being made. It's still my favourite though <3
>>
>>160174698
>Besides, it was really more of a seinen
>And just what the fuck do you watch? Moeshit?
And here's the reason why. Most Kenshin manga fans are newfags
>>
>>160174726
content as in new chapters...
>>
I read the manga when I was a teen and bought it all it was great but falls apart in the last arc really, all of the side characters had good arcs but Kenshin didn't really and the villain was to generic for me to enjoy. I watched through some of the anime recently and I liked it I stayed away from the filler arcs though, any of them worth checking out?
>>
>>160174786
Nothing but the OVAs.
>>
>>160174786
The last arc after they defeat shishio is ok, but then it gets fucking awful. It's nothing like the manga
>>
File: sakabaito.png (74KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
sakabaito.png
74KB, 625x626px
>>160174698
>>
the live action movies any good?
>>
>>160174726
To be fair, even new content isn't really enough to put something on /a/'s radar.

It has to specifically be anime for any conversation to happen.
>>
>>160174968
I mean, maybe that's just /a/. I guess the series is "over" and mostly likely only the old fans will stay to hype it up. Or the new kids who have discovered it on Netflix lmao.
>>
>>160174928
The Kyoto inferno is quite good.
>>
I like the part where Kaoru dies, truly hit home. Oh wait, she fucking didn't and it was just an illusion. Fucking Hack.
>>
>>160174928
First one is great.
Second one is okay.
Third one is mostly talking, Juppongatana are almost written out, Kenshin looks useless when soldiers just go and sink Shishio's ship with cannons. The best scene is the very beginning where fishermen see the ship and run to the town screaming "Black Ships! Black Ships have come!" and it's downhill from there.
>>
>>160174928
Only the first one is good.
>>
>>160170275
No superpowers. Like I'm sure most of them have superhuman speed and dexterity, but it's still not super powers
>>
>>160171916
Hasn't started yet
>>
its boring
>>
>>160174648
The fuck are you talking about? Anon was pointing you that you quoted people who were saying New Kyoto OVAs (the remake from 2011) were bad, and they're right, they were fucking bad.
>>
>>160175363
Jin'e.
>>
>>160174928
First one is great
The other two are alright but don't live up to the original Kyoto Arc. Aoshi is kinda shoehorned in but it isn't downright insulting like other live action movies based on anime.
>>
Not technically anime, but I enjoyed the live-action movies they finished a couple of years ago.

It's hard to pinpoint why Watsuki's series haven't been as memorable here in the west compared to other series from the same time, which is a shame because Kenishin was amazing and Busou Renkin, while rushed at the end, was extremely enjoyable. It's too bad he hasn't really had anything big since.
>>
>>160170275
Did they ever get to the end of Kenshin on Cartoon Network? I cant remember anything past the shishio fight
>>
>>160175745
I think for the US specifically, it's because the dub was put into a very awkward spot when Cartoon Network decided they would cancel Toonami on weekdays and air it on "Saturday Video Entertainment System."

If you want to get a feel for how popular this block was, they canned it in a little over a year and brought back Toonami as a weekly block in it's place.
>>
File: 968785-kamatari_juppon25.jpg (21KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
968785-kamatari_juppon25.jpg
21KB, 240x300px
>not liking best girl
>>
>>160176448
> girl
>>
>>160176580
Considering how shit the actual girls were in this thing, Kamatari ascends to best girl by default.
>>
>>160176204
Yeah Cartoon Network's relationship with anime has always been interesting, considering they have done things like funding IGPX to almost completely backing off it altogether at times.

Honestly by the time of TOM 3 I was already downloading fansubs in rmvb so I had lost interest in them.
>>
Remember how Cartoon Network aired Onichichi only to cancel it before even shoeing a full episode?
>>
>>160176828
I thought that was some faked latin america shit.
>>
Seishouhen, or the whatever final movie ruined it.
The manga ending was fine.

Then the fucking assholes had to make a TRUE FINAL movie where everything is depressing, Kenshin abandons his wife and kid for no fucking reason, Kenshin's kid abandons his sick mom to go learn shitty martial arts at the feet of a guy who wont teach him properly, and everything's depressing.

Then Kenshin dies of ....what, was it? Tuberculosis? THE END.

Fuck that shit. Ruined the series for me.
>>
>>160176755
IIRC most of the block's programming was anime. But kids just didn't react to the change well at all.

Come to think of it though, I think I got pushed towards fansubs that very same year.
>>
Same for Gash Bell, no new material. What's there to discuss?
If you go around looking for both shounen of all time lists, you will probably see Gash Bell and Kenshin in them and that will probably all there is to it.
>>
>>160170275
its old and looks bad
>>
>>160170314
I'll fight you.
>>
>>160174726
Hold your anus the Hokkaido arc is coming have you been living under a rock, anon?
>>
>>160182559
...I just saw that when I was searching around about the show and honestly, I have.
>>
>>160170275
I thought this was Seinen.
>>
>tfw the thread on the other board only lasted 300 posts
it hurts bros

someone suck me off
>>
>>160170275
Trust and Betrayal is the only good part of Kenshin.

It's a generic shonen otherwise.
>>
MISAO A SHIT
>>
>>160170314
Animeonlyfag detected. The Jinchuu arc in the manga is better than the Kyoto arc.
>>
>>160170275
when is Hokaido arc gonna be release?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.