[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a Haibane Renmei thread? I don't think I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 417
Thread images: 149

File: haibane-renmei-full-122982.jpg (966KB, 2240x1600px) Image search: [Google]
haibane-renmei-full-122982.jpg
966KB, 2240x1600px
Can we have a Haibane Renmei thread? I don't think I've ever seen one on /a/.

I just finished this show and put off making a thread while I was watching it because I didn't want anything spoiled. Now that I'm done though I think it'd be fun to have a discussion with you guys about the show.

I don't really remember why I decided to pick it up, like I said I don't think I've ever seen anyone here talk about it at length. I enjoyed it immensely, it was such a beautiful and chilling story, like a perfect blend of comfy and anxiety as to what would happen next.

What do you guys think? Did you enjoy the show?
>>
Anyway, after watching it, it's pretty obvious where the Haibane come from. Well, I guess it's more appropriate to say it's obvious why they're in Glie. But, I was wondering about the young feathers. I know kids can and have done things which would bring them there, but there seems to be a lot of kids. The older Haibane like Rakka and Kuu all emerged from their cocoons much older than the young feathers. Since Haibane only seem to spend a few years (less than a decade it seems like) in the town before leaving, will the young feathers actually be that much older when they leave? Maybe they're going to stay longer, in order to fully comprehend the reason they're in the town. Then again, Kuu was younger than Rakka and still left before many of the older Haibane, so I guess there's no strict order to it all.
>>
I watched it so long ago I barely remember anything.
But I'll never forget that train scene.
Also the Kou Otani soundtrack.
>>
>>160158846
So Im not a Catholic but I've heard that children who die before being baptized always go to purgatory first.
>>
>>160158846
Can you please remind me where the Haibane came from? They all died, right?

I remember loving this series many years ago but I've forgotten absolutely everything.
>>
>>160159276
People think they all committed suicide because their dreams kinda fit but we only know that Reki did it for sure
>>
>>160159237
I was a catholic but I don't consider myself one anymore. That's what I had heard though. It's why Catholics baptize their kids at a very young age, because if they die they want them to go to heaven. Protestants I think let their kids choose when they want to be baptized, I think in a way to allow the kid to take responsibility for their faith.

I wasn't sure whether the wings and halo meant anything though. I know in Evangelion all the Christian shit was included but didn't really mean anything according to Anno. I didn't know if that was the case in this show though.
>>
>>160158846
It does seem a bit arbitrary. There's not much exploration into the Abandoned Factory group to give us a control and an experimental group to compare. Young Feathers could be dozens of years old but maintain their status in purgatory until an allotted time is reached. The show never really explained what exactly triggers Haibane to leave. A load of mystery was unexplained like what is outside the city and the mechanics. In the end though that doesn't even matter. It's about the character interactions and the story is about the growth of the protagonist in general.
>>
>>160159512
I don't think so. It would indeed be weird for literal toddlers to commit suicide.

I think only the sinbound haibane were suicides, the rest were just kids who died and for whatever reason couldn't move directly to "heaven" or wherever it is that they go. Probably because they weren't mentally ready. Or what >>160159237 said.
>>
File: 1483084667930.jpg (247KB, 1016x1542px) Image search: [Google]
1483084667930.jpg
247KB, 1016x1542px
>>160158237
It's one of my favorite anime but I hardly remember anything of it
I guess it's time for a rewatch soon
>>
>>160160268
I love forgetting anime and manga. It means I get to experience it close to new a second or third time.
>>
Which haibane would you fuck?
>>
>>160159929
>The show never really explained what exactly triggers Haibane to leave.
I thought it kind of did, although not directly. I think when Rakka talked to that guy with the weird mask he mentioned that Kuu was ready to leave, that she had gained what she needed from the town and the other Haibane to move on.

It seems to me like the town is some sort of purgatory, and the Haibane are souls sent there to atone or to come to terms with their passing. This is why they have no memory of the past, they are basically given a blank slate and steered in the right direction by the Haibane Renmei to come to terms with what happened to them. I think that's also why they're named after their dreams, because it is what they should focus on and thus what they should be reminded of every time they talk with someone.

I enjoyed a lot of the mystery, precisely because it didn't matter. The lives of the Haibane in the town was very fleeting, and the town isn't supposed to be a permanent home. If they focused too hard on the physical world around them, they'd lose sight of where they were going and end up trapped, forever unable to move on.

>>160160268
It first aired October 10, 2002 so if you want to wait til then you could celebrate it's 15 year anniversary.
>>
File: 1492341642150.jpg (444KB, 746x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1492341642150.jpg
444KB, 746x1052px
>>160160305
My memory is really bad so I ofter forget about most things of a show a few months after watching it. I only remember some of the details and major plot points.

>>160160370
>It first aired October 10, 2002 so if you want to wait til then you could celebrate it's 15 year anniversary.
Sounds like a good idea.
>>
How old is Reki anyway?
>>
Free bird was a top tier opening song.
>>
File: 1257626791574.jpg (140KB, 709x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1257626791574.jpg
140KB, 709x1000px
>>160160365
>>
>>160160461
In the flashbacks when she first hatched she seemed to probably be about Rakka's age. She then mentioned it had been 7 years since then and so she's probably in her mid 20s, same with Nemu. It would mean that the Haibane at the abandoned facotry are all about that age as well, late teens to 20s. All the boys hatched at old home are sent there, so I guess as the male young feathers grow they'll eventually be sent away.
>>
>>160158237
I just started watching this!

4 episodes in.

Nothing has really happened...
>>
>>160160370
>It seems to me like the town is some sort of purgatory, and the Haibane are souls sent there to atone or to come to terms with their passing. This is why they have no memory of the past, they are basically given a blank slate and steered in the right direction by the Haibane Renmei to come to terms with what happened to them. I think that's also why they're named after their dreams, because it is what they should focus on and thus what they should be reminded of every time they talk with someone.
You're on the mark for it being purgatory. That's the closest concept in The West we have with the level of afterlife they live in. I do think it tries to be different from capital P Purgatory though in most likely a lack of fluency in the subject and secondarily a blending of Buddhism.
>I enjoyed a lot of the mystery, precisely because it didn't matter. The lives of the Haibane in the town was very fleeting, and the town isn't supposed to be a permanent home. If they focused too hard on the physical world around them, they'd lose sight of where they were going and end up trapped, forever unable to move on.
I'm a sucker for layered plots that don't explain everything. The mystery in this was good and allows for a lot of speculation which is why right here and now we can enjoy a conversation about the show years after it ended. To be fair though trapped in a quaint little town where you are revered isn't a bad gig. It just depends on how long of an "Eternity" you spend there with out a stimulus. That would always worry me about the Young Feathers. Maybe that is their Heaven being able to play and be free or maybe it is their Hell being stagnated forever in the same place and relative time. I'm not religious by the way but it is fun to think about.
>>
>>160160742
Wait until Fonzy jumps over the shark tank with his motorcycle. It's bitchin' cool, man.
>>
>>160160753
>To be fair though trapped in a quaint little town where you are revered isn't a bad gig.
See what I really liked about the show is how they blended this comfy sort of slice-of-life with a feeling of overarching dread.

The girls do have a really nice life in Old Home, they do have to work but their jobs are pretty easy. The towns people are kind to them and often give them free treats or offer favors to them. But deep down every Haibane knows that this isn't the end of his/her journey. At any time their best friend could wander off, without a word. They might even wake-up one day themselves and know it's time to leave. When Kuu leaves I feel like it hit Rakka especially hard, she had barely settled in and didn't know anything about the day of flight, and then in a few minutes Kuu is gone and there's nothing anyone could've done. I think it's easy to imagine how she must've felt, why work? Why do anything but lay around? We're all doomed to leave and there's nothing that can stop it. Why even be friends with anyone, they're all going to leave anyway.

I kinda wish the Haibane kept journals. I guess Reki did keep a bit of a diary, but they should have a more formal collection of all the Haibane who pass through Glie. A record of who they were, what they were like, even the dreams they had. I think it'd give some solace to some of the Haibane that they had left a mark there, something their friends could turn to and read when they felt alone. Then again I guess it sort of goes against the theme of impermanence the show tries to convey.
>>
>>160161170
>I think it's easy to imagine how she must've felt, why work? Why do anything but lay around? We're all doomed to leave and there's nothing that can stop it. Why even be friends with anyone, they're all going to leave anyway.
What's brilliant is that same frame of reference can be applied to real life. It's a desperate struggle against pure nihilism. Why live at all if the end is inevitable and in a few generations almost everything tangible about your existence will be gone? The ending in my opinion was accepting the inevitability and living for not the past but the future as well as as much as possible in the present. Life is fleeting and even more so in the purgatory the Haibane live in. They never die but they move on. Maybe that's what death is really like. Moving on from this life into the unknown.
>>
>>160158237
Liked it up to the train scene.
Too much character conflict in my comfy melancholic show, and I don't give two shits about Reki's character either.
>>
>>160161617
>Why live at all if the end is inevitable and in a few generations almost everything tangible about your existence will be gone?
I wonder if this is a feeling that all the Haibane experience at some point. Right after Kuu leaves, Reki says that they hadn't seen a Haibane leave for their day of flight in some time. It seems like the population of Old Home and the factory are self-limiting to some degree, with only so many Haibane living there at any one point. Nemu, Kana, and Hikari are less phased by Kuu leaving, so I wonder if they themselves had friends leave in the few years they'd been there. I wonder if Kuu had been around for long enough to have a friend leave. I guess everyone reacts to it differently, Rakka sort of bottled up her emotions and kept them to herself, which only made her feel more alone and worthless. Maybe the others experienced these feelings but shared them more openly and talked them out instead of holding it inside.
>>
>>160162540
It is anachronistic of the grieving process throughout history. Maybe one of the few constants people for millenia have experienced. Eventually the people that raised you die and in that ending you have to think of your own mortality. Kuu "leaving" is like your best friend or a loved one dying. The main difference is that it also reveals to the MC that "leaving" or death is a possibility. She's hit with a double amount of quandry in trying to accept the mortality of everyone around her as well as the process of grieving someone she considers family. It turns two fold and that's what triggers her wings turning black as well as her self harm. Cutting her feathers is symbolic in the wanting to hide so much from the pain that she inflicts more pain onto herself similar to what we experience when we try to cowardly compress pain instead of cope with it.
>>
>>160159974
I definitely think both Rakka and Reki killed themselves. I think it follows that the other Haibane did as well, given the subject matter of their dreams but I guess I can't say for sure.

I think maybe "sin-bound" is sort of skewed by our culture in the west (assuming you live in the west I guess, where Christianity is very prevalent). In Christianity, suicide is a mortal sin. God really, really hates that shit. But, that's not to say that Rakka and Reki can't remember their dreams as a sort of punishment for committing a mortal sin. Instead, I think that "sin-bound" is just how the Haibane Renmei describe the condition of a Haibane not being able to accept why they have become Haibane. Perhaps the others have accepted why they have been born Haibane. Or their personalities are just the type that doesn't dwell too much on the past like Reki (and later Rakka with Kuu) does. Both Reki and Rakka get stuck wherein they focus too much on what has happened that they can't move forward anymore, and both feel as though they can't lean on anyone for help. Rakka eventually does get out, thanks to Reki, but Reki in return can't do the same (until the very end).

Reki is the one that claims to have been born sin-bound, with black spotted feathers. At the same time, she was also only found after he wings had sprouted. In the first episode she cleans Rakka's wings of blood, telling her they will be stained and spotted if they aren't cleaned. If both Rakka and Reki were sin-bound from birth, this wouldn't have mattered, since Rakka would've had black wings like Reki's from the beginning. So I don't think being born sin-bound is actually a thing, it's something that happens as you live as a Haibane.
>>
>>160162991
>Cutting her feathers is symbolic in the wanting to hide so much from the pain that she inflicts more pain onto herself similar to what we experience when we try to cowardly compress pain instead of cope with it.

It was really disheartening to watch Rakka go through all that. The episodes up to Kuu leaving made it feel like Rakka was slowly getting accustomed to her new surroundings and trying to live a good, happy life. Then it was like the floor got pulled out from under her and she just kinda lost it for a little bit. When Reki found her in her room with the scissors and all the feather clippings, especially later on when we saw she did the same thing, was just really sad.

Knowing Japan's own problem with suicide, I wonder how this show was received there. I don't know if the turn of the century was a big year for suicides, I wonder if the show helped anyone. It would be interesting to hear some accounts of suicidal people watching this show and how they reacted at the time.
>>
File: 1338933042696.jpg (2MB, 2200x3090px) Image search: [Google]
1338933042696.jpg
2MB, 2200x3090px
Haibane Renmei is one of my favorite atmospheric anime.
Will Yoshitoshi Abe ever work on another show?
>>
>>160165933
Has he done anything recently?
>>
Did you guys think Rakka finding 2 cocoons in the last episode foreshadowing of maybe another Haibane leaving soon? Since it seems like only a certain number exist at any one time, I think maybe it means another will leave before they both hatch. I feel like Nemu is probably going to leave, now that Reki is gone and she no longer has to worry over her.
>>
>>160167628
There's Despera, but who knows what the deal with that is. Aside from that, I think the last show he was part of was Texhnolyze.
>>
>>160167628
He's making a web manga about a girl who takes pictures of food starting Monday per this: https://twitter.com/abfly/status/888699612428591106

I don't think Rakka was a suicide. I think she probably died unintentionally while running away from her problems. Reki is more likely to be a suicide given her dream, but even then there is a little ambiguity.

I think the Haibane are there because they likely died in their youth (Kana probably drowned, Nemu died in her sleep, Hikari got hit by a bus? who knows) with things left undone, or their lives unfulfilled. Glie gives them an opportunity to fix their flaws and grow before moving on to whatever comes after. As for the young feathers, I think they were just little children who died, so Glie gives them a chance to have a childhood. Their dreams/names. were all dreams of a future rather than a possible means of dying.

>>160164453
While Rakka was hurt by Kuu leaving, she definitely overreacted. It was a pity party and was probably similar to what happened in her previous life. It was more than just grief over losing a friend, it was self pity and lack of self worth that caused her feathers to turn black. Likewise I don't think Reki was born with black feathers, I think they turned black while she was born alone and scared and ignored (unintentionally).

>>160161170
It's also not a perfect life in Glie. They are outsiders, and they can never really have a real life in that town apart from being a Haibane. They are taken care of while they are giong through their trials, but they really are limited. It's why Hyouko tries to hide being one. It's a safe and comfortable place but no one really wants to be there forever.
>>
>>160167697
It more foreshadows two new Haibane. They already foreshadowed Nemu leaving, when she was alone on the balcony after Reki left. I think she probably had her day of flight not too long after that. I think Kana and Hikari will be around a bit longer though as well as Rakka, so Old Home wont be so empty.
>>
Man, Haibane threads are always comfy.
>>
Depressed suicidal girls with brain problems: the anime

I kinda regret watching it, even though it was watchable. It was good up until you knew what was going on.
>>
>>160168974
It's still good in context. It's only when you apply the real whatever that be your frame of reference West or East upon it that it becomes much darker.
>>
>>160168189
>It's also not a perfect life in Glie

If we agree that Glie is some sort of purgatory, a town that exists on a different level of existence than on earth, who are the townspeople exactly? What about the Toga (the ones who come into the city to trade)? Who are the Haibane Renmei? Are they all also lost souls, or some sort of agent of god's will? If they weren't there, the Haibane would live normal lives in the town. With them there, the Haibane are reminded that they are not like everyone else, they are something different than regular people. I think this keeps them aware of their place in the world, as transient beings only there for a short time, while the townsfolk are the ones who truly belong there. I feel like the Toga serve the purpose of instilling hope in the Haibane that something exists beyond the walls. Without them, the Haibane would have no reason to believe anything exists beyond the walls, and that the day of flight is something to be feared instead of looked forward to.

But this all brings up the question of intent. Whatever god or goddess sent the Haibane to Glie is totally unknown. Is this supposed to be a test for the Haibane, or a punishment? It's hard to say if Kuu suffered much as she left before we got much of her backstory, but both Rakka and Reki are shown to have suffered greatly trying to move forward. Is this a punishment that Haibane must go through, or just another step in moving from one plane of existence to the next?
>>
>>160169678
>a town that exists on a different level of existence than on earth, who are the townspeople exactly?
Honestly they are not that important to the plot. They are the NPCs in an MMORPG. I'm sure they don't feel like this and the anime makes sure with the pregnant chick to humanize them. Ultimately though they are not important not unlike the hundreds of people you would pass by on your morning commute in NYC would be. People coming into the city to trade have a unique bend to their existence because they can actually go where the Haibane cannot. Ultimately that is not important because they live outside of the rules of the Haibane. It would be interesting to follow them but they live literally outside the scope of where Haibane can go. The world is very limited to Haibane. Much like it seems to most people that live within 20 miles of where they were born which is the norm for people even in reality, and much like reality they will meet their fate inside these limitations.

As for the rest that could only be explained by more backstory which is outside the scope of the anime. It would take talented and interested writers to flesh out the story beyond what we have seen. That would also be improbable because Haibane Renmei is a classic only to us as interested in it as we are. We are a minority in the West and the East has all but forgotten about the series. Expect no revitalization.
>>
>>160169678
I always have this dumb fan theory that the town of Glie exists in the samw world as Kino. I know it's 100% not true but it's fun to imagine the world beyond the wall is the same one in Kino's Journey
>>
>>160170193
That's pretty fan fiction tier. Outside of your crossover fan fiction one true pair why would you even consider believing this?
>>
>>160170256
I know, I know. Maybe it's because I watched both anime for the first time at the same time to come up with this dumb fan fic "theory." They both have this very somber tone with their muted color palettes and world building
>>
>>160169678
The world there exists for the Haibane. The townspeople might be normal humans who just happen to live there. The librarian mentioned she used to think about leaving the town, but she said that once you leave you can't come back, so she stayed and is happy there.

The Toga provide everything the town needs that they can't provide on their own. It's not really clear what they are, whether human or spirit or what, but they serve the town quietly. The renmei are strongly implied to be failed haibane who serve to help the haibane move on and have their day of flight.

>>160170188
I think the story is stronger for not spelling out the backstory of everything. It makes it feel more real, if they explained everything it would just be a story. In interviews Yoshitoshi ABe has refrained from answering questions about the town and toga, saying he had ideas in his head but he wanted to let people apply their own ideas and thoughts to it.

Haibane Renmei is a complete story, so there is no reason to make a sequel or continue it with more anime. It would only take away from what is there. The fact that we all yearn to know more just goes to show how well it was done.
>>
>>160170508
They are similar in tone and I can agree to that. They are separate worlds though. It's best to keep your imagination compartmentalized. It would be cool for a crossover but that isn't going to happen outside a Predators v. Aliens comic money grab and you don't want that for two series you enjoy.
>>
>>160170591
>Haibane Renmei is a complete story,
This is true. That's why we can only analyze based on the few episodes of this amazing limited portrayal that we can glimpse. It's fun to expand but the resolution can only go so far. In the end we are limited to what the episodes allow us to grasp. Would a sequel be better to expand the series? Probably not. The quaintness of the setting permits a certain familiarity to the characters. Honestly I would do without the Haibane in the Abandoned Factory because that causes more problems than resolutions. It's a superficial conflict resolved in a couple of episodes. That could have easily been replaced with the traders from outside the walls and been more satisfying. That's just my personal gripe.
>>
>>160158237
OP should check out the CFF Old Home bulletin board. They pretty much discussed every aspect of the show. A few people also were translating the script doujins there word for word, and interviews with ABe.

>>160170668
Kino had a similar melancholy feel to it but I agree its way different from HR and doesn't really make sense as a crossover. Sora no woto is pretty nice too but its a lot more moe and less serious. The only other anime I can think of that covers vaguely similar themes well is Koe no Katachi, especially with guilt and self worth.
>>
>>160170957
>Kino had a similar melancholy feel to it but I agree its way different from HR
Excellent comparison in tone.
>Sora no woto is pretty nice too but its a lot more moe and less serious
Besides the cultural mixup you are correct.
>The only other anime I can think of that covers vaguely similar themes well is Koe no Katachi, especially with guilt and self worth.
lol wut? C'mon, man. I get maybe the emotional aspect but the setting is way too modern to compare. I would put Fist of the North Star ahead of Koe no Katachi in terms of thematic comparison.
>>
>>160171117
Shouya and Rakka/Reki have similar personal arcs. They both struggle with self worth, and focusing on other peoples struggles as a way to find their own salvation. Shouya/Reki tries to help Shouko/Rakka as they also struggle with it, and saves themselves by doing so. It's a little different obviously but the themes are there.
>>
File: 1455634603753.jpg (143KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1455634603753.jpg
143KB, 816x1230px
of all the anime that should have had more episodes, Haibane Renmei is up there
>>
File: 1455644612192.webm (206KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1455644612192.webm
206KB, 960x540px
Childhood is loving Kana. Adulthood is realizing Nemu makes more sense
>>
>>160171262
I guess the focus was too different on the characters to make it plain for me. That's probably me being a simpleton instead of looking at the story from the other side. My apologies.
>>
>>160167628
Project D coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pQrCbOg9Vk
>>
>>160167628
He's pretty active on Twitter and still attends Comiket. He does illustration work for other sometimes, serialized Ryushika Ryushika from 2009 to 2015, and he recently had an feature+interview in the Illustration magazine.
Plus he's happily married with a child, and going by his Twitter he's a technophile, so he keeps himself busy.
>>
>>160171742
So what's going on with Despera?
>>
>>160170188
>Honestly they are not that important to the plot
I agree, somewhat. The regular townsfolk don't really have any effect on the Haibane, they only exist as a sort of background population that inhabits the town and thus dictates the Haibane must live far away from them. It creates a sense of isolation in the Haibane, the distinction between those who belong in that world and those who don't is made clear by the pretense of the humans.

But, I'm getting at the intent of the god that put them there. The Haibane are reminded at all times they are like outsiders in this town, destined to leave sooner rather than later. Was this system divised by god to encourage the Haibane to continue seeking their own inner peace and moving on, or is it supposed to be a reminder to them that they aren't "normal" and that they don't belong in this town they've been forced to live in?

I suppose it depends on how you look at why they are in Glie in the first place. Is it a pergatory where they must atone for their sins in their previous life/existence, or are they simply there to find the peace and strength to move on to what comes next?
>>
File: don't lose hope.png (180KB, 277x348px) Image search: [Google]
don't lose hope.png
180KB, 277x348px
>>160171909
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>160171909
The director died. Unless they find someone they want to direct it its probably dead.

>>160172095
I think the god that put them there probably put normal people there so that it is essentially the same as their normal life. Its supposed to be a safe, kind place that allows the haibane to work on their flaws before moving on. The reminders are so that they know this is temporary and not supposed to be their final destination. They can't get too comfortable there or they will never move forward. I don't think the haibane are necessarily there to atone for mistakes as a punishment, but rather to improve themselves and become more full or complete people.
>>
>>160172095
>Is it a pergatory where they must atone for their sins in their previous life/existence, or are they simply there to find the peace and strength to move on to what comes next?
I don't think anything in Haibane Renmei really suggested atonement to me.

It seemed to me like they can live how they want, and can move on or not as they decide. But it has been a long time since I've given it a watch.
>>
>>160172384
even the "sinbound" part wasnt really about being sinful in the western sense, it was about being stuck on your own and needing others to help you and forgiving yourself.
>>
>>160172384
>It seemed to me like they can live how they want, and can move on or not as they decide

Well Haibane that never experience their Day of Flight are stuck in Glie forever. They lose their wings and halo, and are forced to live away from both the Haibane and humans, as they no longer belong to either group. It's unclear if this only happens to Haibane in the "sin-bound" state though, or if they have any choice in the matter. It seems to me as though all Haibane who aren't sin-bound have a Day of Flight, and we aren't told if any former Haibane actually live in the town at all. There is a time limit though, and Reki was just about at the end of hers by episode 13. If she hadn't called out for help before the winter ended she'd have been fucked.
>>
>>160172934
The head of the renmei essentially told Rakka that failed haibane lose their halo and wings and essentially grow old and die there. He also strongly implied that this is who the renmei are, failed haibane who are trying to guide the haibane so that they don't make the same mistakes. He even wears a cloak with fake wings on it.

Reki though was somewhat of a special case, it looks like she would have just ended her existence right then and there rather than just becoming a failed haibane.
>>
>>160173142
You know, a common thread of all the Haibane dreams is that if they are how the person died, none of them depict the actual moment of death. Reki dreamed of walking on railroad tracks and being struck by a train, but she never dreamt about being hit. Similarly, Rakka dreamt of falling out of the sky, but never about hitting the ground. When Reki is about to accept her fate and be stuck in Glie forever, she relives her dream and starts watching it to its bitter end.

Obviously there's no evidence to prove this, but I wonder if all Haibane who remain experience this. Maybe it's why the Renmei place such an importance on these dreams, because they are the key to a Haibane's ability to move on.
>>
>>160160818
Yeah but for real the gunfight in episode 8 makes the series. It just comes out of nowhere.
>>
>>160173723
Shirokuma Cafe has the hands down violent shift that you would not expect. Cannibalism was on the menu and it even grossed me out.
>>
File: Gaisokyu_014.jpg (182KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
Gaisokyu_014.jpg
182KB, 640x852px
I've always wondered about where the little Haibane came from. The ones in the abandoned factory mention in passing that they couldn't take care of them, which is why Raka is taking one for a visit. Plus it's a co-ed place. So, you know. And we never even see the artist Haibane, so who knows what's going down there.
>>
>>160171418
Man, this looks so bad. How can you screw up adapting ABe's charadesigns for animation this badly? It only looks faintly like ABe in like two cuts. Just give me Despera, I really hope that the new director they reportedly found will turn out to be Hamasaki.
>>
>>160173980
I always figured the little ones were just young children who died and this is their chance to have a normal childhood.

The artist ones would be interesting too. I'm sure there were more than just old home and the abandoned factory. I think on a map ABe drew there was an abandoned farm too.
>>
The threads are "rare" because they always fill up with comfy blogposters.
>>
>>160174266
>>160173980
It's not unheard of for young kids to commit suicide. We don't really get a lot of background on them though so it's left pretty vague.

Does anyone know what Hyoko and Midori mean in Japanese? It'd be interesting to know so we could have some insight into their dreams.

Do they even mention if Haibane are born anywhere besides Old Home? Any males born there are sent away, but does the factory get cocoons as well? I wonder if the Haibane at the factory will come back to Old Home now that Reki is gone. Nemu seems to like that they've segregated the boys and girls, though it's not really her call as to whether they should mix. I also don't remember why the kids are allowed to go visit the factory, is there someone there they know? Or is it just important to for the kids to talk with other Haibane?
>>
I don't believe we're given any more information than the two canonical Haibane locations - Old Home and the Abandoned Factory, plus the additional one that ABe tells us is also there. I'd be surprised if cocoons only showed up at Old Home though - that's one non-sexual explanation for the visit. That one was "born" at the factory but they don't feel like it's a good location to raise the little ones so they send them off to Old Home.
>>
>>160174561
I think ABe mentioned the little ones were different from the older ones. And I'm still not convinced the older ones were all suicides, mainly just Reki.

Hyouko can mean ice lake (Rakka accidentally calls him Hyoko - chick/baby chicken). Midori can mean the color blue/green, but I'm not sure how that translates to a dream.
>>
>>160174561
I think Haibane were born at the abandoned factory too. Old Home seems to be more for gentle girls, while the factory was more rough kids of both genders. They mentioned that the factory sends some of their little haibane to live at old home because they cant really take care of them there. That kind of implies they were born at the factory.
>>
>>160174793
Old Home has a house mother as well who seems to act like the primary caregiver for the children, and is helped by Reki at times. I don't think the house mother was a Haibane though. It must be difficult for her to see so many Haibane come and go.

>>160174827
blue/green like the ocean maybe?

>>160174875
>That kind of implies they were born at the factory.
That makes sense. It explains why some kids are sent back for short periods as well. It would be nice to see the two groups come together more, maybe once Hyouko takes his day of flight the Renmei will allow more freedoms to the two groups. However I also think that life is probably a lot different at the factory and Haibane accustomed to that life won't really want to go live at Old Home necessarily.

Is there any sort of way to get a time period the town is set in? They have electricity and mopeds, but there doesn't seem to be any TV or Radio to speak of. I was thinking maybe it's supposed to be in the early 1900s or something, but it's hard to say.
>>
>>160175261
Midori is their general catch-all color for blues and greens, so its not really clear what the context is for the character Midori. It's also a relatively common normal name too.

I think the town was supposed to be set "out of time" and has a lot of things that mix time periods. The thrift store owner was listening to a radio when they walked in though.
>>
File: awake.jpg (638KB, 835x800px) Image search: [Google]
awake.jpg
638KB, 835x800px
>>160175345
What would even be on the radio? Does it receive from other worlds? Or does Glie have its own radio station giving the news on the particulars of the nothing that's happened each day?
>>
>>160158237
The only angstfest I ever enjoyed in this medium, the others either exasperated or bored me. It's surprisingly intricate thematically once you figure it out, it's pretty great.
>>160171288
More episodes with such a narrow focus? Wanting more is perfectly normal, but that thirst shouldn't be quenched with more episodes.
>>
>>160158237
>Can we have a Haibane Renmei thread?
yes we can
>>
Cant believe I nearly missed the yearly Haibane thread
>>
>>160158237

Any day now for ABe's new work.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-10/yoshitoshi-abe-despera-project-is-moving-forward-with-new-director/.83127
>>
What ABe opening theme is your favorite? I like NieA's one the most.
>>
>>160158237
>I didn't want anything spoiled
But apparently it's alright to make a thread when you're done, even though all those other newfags that might be watching will end up having their shit spoiled to them?

Delete this thread, you selfish cunt.
>>
>>160180270
Haibane is better when you get spoiled beforehand anyway.
>>
File: 1486501589206.jpg (734KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1486501589206.jpg
734KB, 845x1200px
>>160161952
>Not liking best character

How you don't like an angel with black wings who drives a vespa and smokes ??
>>
>>160180778
Reki's vespa is symbolism for her struggle, Kana says it's only a one-seater in the first episode, yet she only lets Rakka ride it with her (we see Hikari ride it in the OP but Reki gets annoyed when she tries to touch it), when Kuu tried to ride it she crashed. She always lets the keys on like she's always ready to leave at any moment (episode 8 iirc).

The cigarette is a symbolism of self-destruction and Reki finds Rakka's name after some ashes fell on the ground.

And best girl.
>>
>>160180778
>drives a vespa
>smokes

Well there you are
>>
>>160181869
Talking shit about Reki's vespa is crossing the line.
>>
>>160181869
Those are fighting words anon
>>
File: 1484949113943.jpg (418KB, 800x980px) Image search: [Google]
1484949113943.jpg
418KB, 800x980px
>>160181132
>Reki's vespa is symbolism for her struggle
>The cigarette is a symbolism of self-destruction

Damn anon i'm really need to re-watch Haibane Ranmei

>>160181869
>My mom told me motorcycles and smoking are "bad" things
>>
>>160182416
>thinks literally inhaling ashes isn't bad
>calling a scooter motorcycle

were you raised by the electric jew
>>
File: A5492_I1 (1).jpg (7KB, 200x312px) Image search: [Google]
A5492_I1 (1).jpg
7KB, 200x312px
Reki's cigarette is this.
>>
File: bleh.png (47KB, 152x179px) Image search: [Google]
bleh.png
47KB, 152x179px
>>160161952
>>
File: 1485120873930.png (1MB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485120873930.png
1MB, 707x1000px
>>160182611
First you are going to die anyway so whats matter if you smoke once in a while and second both of them have two wheels so they are the same for me
>>
File: 1232877385493.png (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1232877385493.png
8KB, 300x300px
>mfw there's a Haibane thread
>>
File: ecb48757eaba43089b234e4637cd642b.jpg (164KB, 857x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ecb48757eaba43089b234e4637cd642b.jpg
164KB, 857x1200px
>>160167697
>Comment from Yoshitoshi ABe:
>"I enjoyed drawing this for the series' Blu-ray release. In other words, I have become more subjective about the Haibane world than when I was working on it in 2002, although I still feel a special warmth while drawing. I still can't start writing a follow-up story of Yomi and Yami (twins) that begins with the departure of Nemu, but I know that I will complete it some day."
>>
>>160170508
I think that was early digital animation.
>>
File: Watching the Twins.jpg (488KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Watching the Twins.jpg
488KB, 1600x1143px
>>160185399
>Yomi and Yami

Oh snap, ABe has names for them.
>>
File: 01.png (241KB, 709x1004px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
241KB, 709x1004px
>>160185399

Wait, so the twins aren't Lain and NieA?
>>
I watched this like 7 years ago. I should really rewatch it, but all I remember is that it got really depressing towards the end?
>>
>>160185629
It's quite a ride and you'll probably enjoy it again if you don't remember much about it. That is assuming you enjoyed it the first time around, Melancholy isn't for everyone.
>>
i remember seeing the posters and thought it would be the prettiest anime in the world, and then the actual show was ugly as shit.
also the story and characters were pretty dumb up until the end which was pretty fucking good
>>
>>160177662
Well they've got a music channel at least (I forgot about that). Maybe a news channel too?

>>160180270
Well I am sorry if you've gotten anything spoiled, but you made the decision to come here.
>>
>>160186771
It has issues with the animation quality but the show looks fine otherwise. It's pretty spot-on aesthetically speaking.

Light-hearted =/= dumb, the story is only simple at face value but gets elevated by the show's imagery. The beginning is not as aimless as you think it is, people always get fooled by the show's unassuming nature and simplistic cinematography.
>>
File: ItJustKeepsHappening.jpg (1MB, 3488x5325px) Image search: [Google]
ItJustKeepsHappening.jpg
1MB, 3488x5325px
>>160158237
People like to complain about blogging, but I'm just happy to see there are still people watching and enjoying this show.
>>
>>160181132
I liked that Reki smoked, because it set her apart from the other Haibane from the very beginning. I do wonder who's going to get her vespa now that Reki is gone. I was thinking maybe Rakka would get it, but she never really seemed to have a problem walking. I think Kana would enjoy it because it's something else to tinker with. Kana also would like speeding off to work since she's late pretty often.
>>
>>160190060
Reki's vespa was the main character all along.
>>
>>160185612
This was a joke

>>160185399
>>160185559
Yami means darkness amd Yomi can mean the underworld or world of the dead. Probably not very happy haibane. Rakka will have her hands full with them.

>>160190060
Yea the cigarettes were pretty clearly a symbol of her character flaw, the other haibane were trying to get her to quit them the whole show. It did look pretty cool though.

>>160188932
Yea the beginning is actually really meaningful once you know whats going on. Pretty much every conversation Rakka has with the other haibane/townspeople has a double meaning which is fun to figure out. Such as Kana talking about the crows being free to leave.
>>
I was thinking of buying Reki's lighter but then I remembered that I don't smoke
>>
>>160191286
There are other uses for lighters. Besides, if you like it, you can buy it and just use it as a decoration.
>>
>>160191286
It's never too late to start, anon. The problem I always had with zippos is the fuel evaporates. I've never had an IMCO lighter but I suspect they have similar issues. You gotta top it off all the fucking time. Plus there's no way to know if the fuel is gone really, so you go to light a smoke and nothing happens. Butane lighters are way more useful, and the fuel is sealed up better so you're not going to have it empty itself after sitting around.
>>
File: Really.jpg (149KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Really.jpg
149KB, 1600x900px
>>160191530
>Advocating smoking to look cool
>>
>>160191530
But anon a good haibane don't smoke
>>
>>160170957
Mushishi and Texhnolize are the only ones with similar vibes, and I mean that there is not an intent to make the viewers feel safe or happy neither there is a detailled explanation of the world neither the characters need to win at the end, Haibane, Mushishi and Tex is about people dealing with their experiencies and trying to figuring out a meaning to themselves.
>>
>>160192093
Different guy, but I remember watching the first few episodes of Mushishi and didn't like how samey everything felt. Does it get any better or is it still "muh sick kids."
>>
>>160191994
Smoking will always be cool, that's a fact.

I wonder where Reki buys her cigs from. Does she pay in pages from that notebook? Rakka was almost out of pages after a few weeks of eating daily in town, so there can't be that many pages in the books. Maybe Reki buys cartons at a time or something and stocks up.

Speaking of those little books the Haibane get, do you think they are issued new ones regularly? Or are they like little binders and the Renmei give them new pages as they run out?
>>
>>160192306
Is about a mushi expert and how he tries to help people affected by mushi, most of the times the end is bittersweet.
>>
>>160192306
No, Mushishi is pretty much around 40 sob stories with cardboard cutouts as characters.

It's still a good show though, incredibly atmospheric (even though that aspect loses its shine after a while). Personal stories that deal with personal issues (just like Haibane and depression), relationship between man and nature (coexistence). It's pretty subtle, and it's fun to guess what themes each episode has.

It's quiet, slow, mellow and drab like Haibane. But Haibane feels much more lively with the effective juxtaposition of light and dark and the fact that it has actual characters. Mushishi's cinematography is always the same too, while Haibane's can either be very simplistic when the show goes for a soothing feeling or very interesting when shit hits the fan, so it helps.

I personally prefer Haibane, but Mushishi is well worth experiencing.
>>
>>160193061
>cardboard cutouts characters
Are you talking about the desing? Because every chapter characters are motivared by different reasons.
Ever been in the countrysides? Because life in forest and farms are different from towns and cities, it seems that's your problem with Mushishi.
>>
>>160173142
>He also strongly implied that this is who the renmei are, failed haibane who are trying to guide the haibane so that they don't make the same mistakes

I didn't really pick that up from the show but it does make sense in a way. The Renmei live away from both the town and the Haibane, and only interact with the Toga when they come and go.

If they are failed Haibane, then their existence in the town reminds me a bit of the concept of Limbo. Supposedly Limbo is a place in hell where the unbaptized are sent, along with others who never received the word of God. It's in hell, but it's not a bad place. Basically it's like Earth, but everyone there must live with the knowledge that God is real, and that they'll never get into heaven. It must be a somewhat depressing existence, knowing you'll never receive salvation.
>>
>>160194318
What is real Heaven supposed to be like?
>>
>>160193320
It's more than just the design, after 7 episodes I couldn't differentiate them anymore.

They just have generic wants and needs, act, react, talk, behave the same. I understand that the people living in small villages are simpler than people living in towns, but not to that extent. They all felt like clones or MMORPG NPCs.
>>
>>160180270
What a stupid thing to say.
>>
>>160158237
best anime/best anime soundtrack
>>
>>160194318
It was during the scene where the communicator/Washi explained to Rakka that Reki's time was nearly up and what happens to failed haibane. It kept flashing to his fake wings and different parts of his outfit while he explained it. Also as you said the temple renmei can't talk to anyone and are pretty much alone in their duties in the temple, separate from the town and the haibane. It's pretty sad when you think about it.
>>
>>160195024
It's impossible to say, I think we can only hope that it's better than any of the Haibane could imagine. No seclusion from society, no being haunted by dreams, no sadness or loss. Reki, Rakka, and all the other Haibane that came before and after them deserve nothing but happiness. It's just a shame we'll never get to see them living in paradise.

>>160196847
It is sad, in a way. I don't know if the Renmei suffer a lot. On an interesting note, it kinda seems like a lot of them are men, I wonder if more male Haibane end up staying behind that females. Men typically have a harder time communicating with others, especially about feelings and stuff. I guess we see very few Renmei so it's not like we can say for sure. It's part of the reason I worry about the Haibane over at the factory. They are described as being a lot more rowdy, I wonder if that sets up a difficult atmosphere for Haibane who are struggling with their dreams or other issues in their lives.
>>
>>160197639
>>160195024
Heaven is a pretty western idea too though. In Japan you get a mix of beliefs of Pure Land Buddhism which is closer to western heaven, and reincarnation. It's definitely left open what ABe thinks but I wouldn't be surprised if its either a kind of purgatory or a stop over between reincarnated lives.
>>
>>160197639
It's not like Old Home's comfy atmosphere is any easier either. The Wall symbolism is also expressed around Old Home, made obvious in episode 4.

That same comfiness is one of the reasons the two mains end up angsting after that episode, Rakka lost it and wants it back while Reki considers the town to be a comfortable prison.
>>
File: gurimap.jpg (263KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
gurimap.jpg
263KB, 816x1230px
>>160197639
I think the factory is for different personality types. Quiet introspective people probably more often end up at old home, while more outgoing or "rough" people end up at the factory. Different people do well in different environments, so I don't think the factory is necessarily worse or a bad thing, its just for different kinds of people. Likewise the craftsman/artisan place that wasn't described is probably for kinds of people who would do well there.

This map shows old home, the factory, and a place called the abandoned farmhouse, which I bet is another haibane nest. ABe talked about a place in the western part of the city that would be the craftsman nest too, but he never got around to adding it.
>>
I wanted to know what the chapel was and how the wall works since that part was pretty spooky
>>
>>160191530
I did a bit of research on IMCO lighters a while back, and apparently they take longer to dry out than Zippos.
>>
>>160158237
The world-building in the show is excellent. It is a stark contrast with other series that feel they need to explain everything, killing any sense of depth that the world may have.
>>
>>160198022
>Heaven is a pretty western idea too though.

It's hard to ignore the christian symbolism with the halos and feathered wings, but yeah like you said since we have no information it's impossible to say what comes next. Do you think the wings and halo are meaningful in any way, or just a way of visually identifying Haibane? I keep thinking back to Evangelion which also had a lot of Christian symbolism and stuff but Anno basically said he included it because it was cool, not because it was meaningful to the plot.
>>
>>160198999
It all felt so real and lived-in. It didn't really feel like an anime.
>>
>>160199191
ABe said that the wings and halo were just an aesthetic and that it wasn't specifically Christian, but people could interpret it how they wanted.
>>
Another thing people haven't talked about in this thread is the connection with Murakami's books. The setting is definitely inspired by Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World (ABe's favorite book). He even almost added a gatekeeper with a dog but the character was cut. The well scenes were also inspired by the well in The Windup Bird Chronicle. ABe wrote that he wrote Haibane from his subconscious but you can definitely tell where it get some ideas for it.
>>
>>160158237
Is this show worth watching or is it a too deep for you or pretentious snooze fest
>>
>>160199679
Depends what you're in to. It's quiet and slow, almost slice of life at first, and then the drama builds by the end. It's very subtle though and is mostly about the characters. You will either relate to it or you won't, but nothing is like name-dropping or "too smart for you" sort of things.
>>
File: Yoshitoshi Abe 006.jpg (89KB, 816x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshitoshi Abe 006.jpg
89KB, 816x1200px
>>
>>160200129
Hikari a real cutie.

I didn't get why Rakka got so mad at her for using the halo mold to make some pastries. I thought maybe Rakka was just kidding at first but she legitimately seemed really mad. It was kind of jarring to see her get so upset about it.
>>
>>160199208
where's this from? i don't remember seeing this in any of abe's doujins
>>
There aren't many anime I'd show to normies - there's just too many triggers in most of them - but Haibane Renmei definitely crosses the line into worthwhile viewing for anyone.
>>
>>160200990
She was mad because it made her halo not stay on at first, and then it was static-y and made her hair stick to it.

>>160201477
It's from the scenario doujins. ABe made 7 doujins of the script with a bunch of production sketches in them. There are a few color pictures in each one as well. I will try to scan a few of them later, its a ton of details and alternative versions.
>>
>>160202859
I dunno, I wouldn't trust a normie with this show, they'd just say stupid shit the whole time and then at the very end when Reki walks away they'd be like "WOOOOW" and get mad she didn't stay.
>>
>>160203399
they would go "wow why that train surged out from nowhere?"
>>
this is older than people posting on /a/ nowadays lmao
>>
>>160203284
please do. where'd you get them?
>>
File: thumb_IMG_2437_1024.jpg (179KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_IMG_2437_1024.jpg
179KB, 768x1024px
>>160203399
I think it could be alright for new anime watchers, if they are the kind of person who would be into this kind of introspective show. it's way less "anime" than most anime are and the characters act more realistically. I don't think it would be my first choice to show someone as a first anime though.
>>
File: thumb_IMG_2440_1024.jpg (152KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_IMG_2440_1024.jpg
152KB, 768x1024px
>>160203596
A combination of ebay and Mandarake. There is a full color artbook "Guri no machi, haibane no niwa de" ie "Guri town, in the garden of the haibane" which is really nice. There are also the 8 scenario collection doujins that he released at Comiket. Mandarake is usually way cheaper even when counting shipping costs, they markup everything a lot on ebay. I am still missing one of the doujins though.
>>
>>160203722
Does "Kuramori" mean "Dark Forest"? I wonder what sort of dream she had...
>>
Every time I try to rewatch this, I have to stop when Kuu leaves. Rakka moping took way too long relative to Kuu's screentime.
>>
>>160172333
>The director died. Unless they find someone they want to direct it its probably dead.

Abe said they found somebody different.
>>
>>160204118
yea, or at least thats what it meant while she was a haibane. I dont know what the true meaning is.

>>160204481
Yea but that was January 2015. There hasn't been any news since then.
>>
>>160204371
How about you don't take everything at face value and acknowledge what the anime shows you?

If you think Rakka's reaction is as simplistic as: "my friend is gone and I'm sad" then I'm afraid you need to pay more attention.
>>
>>160204371
Rakka's depression after Kuu leaves isn't just the fact that Kuu is gone you know. She's only been in Glie for a few weeks, maybe a month or so, and is just starting to get settled and feeling comfortable. She already feels uneasy, scared, alone, and then all of a sudden Kuu is gone and no one seems so shocked by it. Then she learns that this is something that happens to every Haibane, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. She feels like shit because suddenly everything feels hopeless again. Why work, why make friends, why do anything if everyone will be gone one day.

I think she felt especially close to Kuu because Kuu confided in her that she wanted Rakka to be like her younger sister there at Old Home. Rakka was beginning to see the Haibane there as her family, people who would always be there for her no matter what. Then one just up and leaves and everyone else just kinda shrugs it off. I think she took it upon herself to keep Kuu's room clean as a way of clinging to her, to keep her memory alive somehow when no one else seemed interested.

This clinging to the past is important to the plot, because it is what leads to her becomming sin-bound. She gets "stuck" so to speak on the past and stops moving forward in life, the same as with Reki.
>>
>>160204701
It's also the actualization of the questions asked in the first part through Rakka's flawed personality as well as the internalization of the themes present in the show. Rakka and Reki's reactions are both one side of the same coin.
>>
>>160203722
Nice. Thanks again, anon. I have both the 80 page artbook and 4 of abe's haibane renmei doujins, it's really weird I haven't heard anything about the scenario works. I'll give them a good search.
>>
>>160204645
>>160204701
I don't think the reasoning behind a storytelling choice automatically validates it. A movie about being in a coffin that is just a black screen for an hour may be "justified," but is in no way worthwhile. There being more to Rakka's depression does not make it any less of a slog to watch.
>>
>>160205037
Yes it does? You think her moping took too long based on how little screentime the character who disappeared had. But you never mentioned the disappearance itself and what it could mean, how it's related to the show's imagery and themes and by who the whole thing is filtered through.

If you make the links, and interpret what the show is actively showing you (episode 7 and 8 in particular), I can assure you that it isn't a slog to watch. Especially when you notice how Rakka's Arc is intricately linked to Reki's in multiple ways.
>>
>>160205037
You finding Rakka's depression to be a slog to watch is more of a personal thing than anything else. I found Rakka's Arc to be very interesting personally with the well scene being incredible.

The only thing that actually stands there is the fact that there is indeed more to Rakka's depression than meets the eye, something you were apparently criticizing.
>>
The one thing that I didn't understand is how Rakka waited so long to give Reki the stone
I know the whole point of Reki making up with that boy and that girl from the factory and moving on from that but I first thought that Rakka was going to be too late to give Reki the stone
>>
File: 13.jpg (106KB, 850x1130px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
106KB, 850x1130px
>>160199191
>Do you think the wings and halo are meaningful in any way, or just a way of visually identifying Haibane?
Symbolically, or as actual in-universe things?

Symbolically, they pretty much mean the same things are they do on Christian angels: wings for transcendence, beauty, being beyond human. The halo for a sun-disk, something bright and holy. The big change is that small, nonfunctional wings add into the "baby birds" theme the Haibane have going, rather than the powerful wings of angels.

In the world itself, it's generally guessed that the halo is supposed to be some kind of soul anchor - it's made from a substance gathered inside the walls from around the... memorials? of passed haibane, and the wall "gathers together thoughts" over each year, suggesting some kind of psychic magic going on there. The wings are harder, but a lot of meditative practices suggest a kind of focus on a particular body part, which would be a use of sorts. Like, tell people to meditate on their hands and they'll ignore you; tell them to exercise their wings and they might listen.
>>
>>160205880
I kinda thought the opposite, that Rakka was going to give the stone to Reki too early.

Remember the name on the stone is a Haibane's true name. I guess since kanji can have multiple pronunciations it works, since Rakka's "real name" was still pronounced Rakka, it just had different kanji. The stone Reki got from the guy just had Reki's old name on it, unlike Rakka's. He said it would only change if Reki was no longer sin-bound. Giving it to her too early would really disenchant Reki, since it's a gift from the Renmei and essentially tells Reki "hey, your true name is the same since you're going to be stuck here forever, sorry".

I think the Haibane have to go into the western woods to take flight, so as long as Rakka was with Reki she wouldn't just dissapear or anything. As for losing their halo and wings, I don't know if that would just happen spontaneously or what. I imagine it'd be some big event like the day of flight, probably with the Haibane wandering into the forest and remaining there.
>>
>>160198341
Given this map, the western woods is a bit of a walk from the Renmei temple. In that case, why were they wandering around the woods on that afternoon that Rakka went into the well?
>>
>>160203599
>>160203722
Fuck me, those look nice. One of these days I'm going to go to Japan just so I can get my hands on as much ABe related stuff as I possibly can. There's so much that isn't scanned.
>>
>>160206366
Just because you're a weird priest that can't talk doesn't mean you can't take a walk in the woods.

Seriously though, they probably noticed the abnormal amount of crows around that area and investigated it.
>>
>>160206618
And considering what happens in those woods, they must check it quite often to see if something important happened. Probably the main reason why the communicator walked along the wall in episode 9.
>>
>>160205988
This pic cuts deep
>>
>>160206779
I wonder if they started doing that in response to what Reki did in her youth. Just an extra precaution to make sure none of the other Haibane did anything stupid.

What do you guys think about the halos? Once Kuu left she left her Halo behind, and it had gone dark. When the halos are first made they seem to be hot, I guess maybe they're melted into that shape by the mold? Do the Haibane keep the halos or do the return them to the temple?
>>
File: thumb_IMG_2439_1024.jpg (154KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_IMG_2439_1024.jpg
154KB, 768x1024px
>>160205988
The wings also symbolize that they are supposed to "fly over the wall" some day. The fact that they are gray wings rather than white or black symbolizes that they are imperfect people, and not heavenly angels. The wings and halo visually set them apart from the normal people, which makes it easy to see that they are haibane and should be treated differently.

>>160206366
I could never tell from the anime whether those people walking in the woods were renmei or toga. It made sense for them to be renmei but I'm not sure.
>>
File: 98645632.jpg (82KB, 1000x280px) Image search: [Google]
98645632.jpg
82KB, 1000x280px
>>160207337
>It made sense for them to be renmei but I'm not sure.
Here's two scenes, on the right is from episode 2 when the Toga are shown coming into the town, and the left is from episode 9 in the well. It seems like maybe the Toga were there in the woods that night, which is a bit confusing. Maybe they hang around in the Renmei temple since they can only talk to them anyway.
>>
File: reki.jpg (66KB, 1270x714px) Image search: [Google]
reki.jpg
66KB, 1270x714px
;_;
>>
>>160170957
http://cff.ssw.net/forum/index.php

This is the link for Old Home
>>
>>160208006
Reki's suffering really hit home.
>>
>>160209387
>>
File: 45444444.png (346KB, 615x1543px) Image search: [Google]
45444444.png
346KB, 615x1543px
Back when KoG used to wreck every thread on /a/ with GETs, Haibane Renmei was one of the few anime KoG left alone.

Truly, Haibane Renmei is a top tier anime.
>>
I watched the first 3-4 episodes and got really bored and dropped it. I don't know why because I really enjoyed Texhnolyze and Lain but this show just doesn't latch onto my interest like those ones did.
>>
>>160210036
It's pretty different from Texhnolyze and Lain. When the drama picks up it does get more interesting but the first few episodes are slow on purpose.
>>
>>160209966
man 2011 seems so recent but its already been more than half a decade...
>>
>>160160365
Remember, you can't be a virgin if you want to fuck a Haibane. They only get leftovers, after all.
>>
>>160210239
>tfw used goods

Well I guess if I ever get to Glie I know they'll accept me
>>
File: IMG_3427.png (1MB, 808x1077px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3427.png
1MB, 808x1077px
>>
File: IMG_3433.png (512KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3433.png
512KB, 640x480px
>>160210728
took pics of a few more
this is Kuu's room
>>
File: IMG_3434.png (2MB, 868x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3434.png
2MB, 868x1280px
>>160210801
Kana sketches
>>
File: IMG_3435.png (1MB, 717x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3435.png
1MB, 717x1280px
>>160210863
I like this one, a grumpy Reki in the corner of the page
>>
File: IMG_3436.png (2MB, 925x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3436.png
2MB, 925x1280px
>>160210925
this one had a cool expression
>>
File: IMG_3439.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3439.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>160210997
Reki's dream pt1
>>
File: IMG_3441.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3441.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>160211056
and part 2
>>
File: IMG_3442.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3442.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160211104
last one for now, these were cute

also the word さむ in
>>160210925
one is "samu" or "cold"
>>
Thanks for that anon
>>
>>160211056
>>160211104
The sketchiness really adds to the atmosphere to me here. Thanks for dumping, friend. You're a pretty cool guy that doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>160211056
>>160211104
Man, what a sad, desolate spot. You can imagine Reki trekking out there to end it all. It's cold, she's alone, it's pitch dark save for the moon. She gets on the tracks and waits for the train she can see in the distance. As it gets closer the tracks begin to shake, and in the dark all she can see is the headlight slowly getting bigger.

I wonder if she closed her eyes, it is a pretty scary way to go. If she did close her eyes all she'd be able to hear is the roaring of the train's horn, the conductor probably spotted her from a ways off and thought (hoped) she'd move.
>>
File: IMG_3437.png (2MB, 922x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3437.png
2MB, 922x1280px
>>160211301
>>160211439
no problem

>>160211628
In her dream she is collapsed lying on the tracks. It would probably be even harder for the conductor to see her.
>>
>>160210997
do you guys think Reki made her own jewelry? It seems homemade but she's more into painting it seemed.
>>
>>160185612
Lain would be a cute Haibane. I think she'd make friends with Kana
>>
>>160212460
I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave the necklace to her, like Kuramori or the house mother. Or maybe the young feathers made it for her.
>>
File: IMG_3448.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3448.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160211628
>>
File: IMG_3450.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3450.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160214254

>>160212460
I checked the scenario book with that picture, the only description of the necklace just says that its part of her winter outfit and that it was a pain for the animators to draw, but he really wanted to include it. The words next to it are just colors for the different parts and an apology to the animators.
>>
So who do you all think Rakka's crow was supposed to represent? I'm guessing one of her parents.
>>
>>160215160
A loved one of some kind. Maybe a sibling too. It's impossible to say, we can only really speculate.

If you agree the Haibane used to live on earth and died in some way (either suicide or something else), do you think their age upon hatching is the age they died at, or do you think the age they are when they take their day of flight is the age the died at? It seems like they're all born at slightly different physical ages and there is no set time limit it seems for when they take their flight.

I could see it going both ways I guess. However, Kuu was pretty young physically when she left, although I guess we don't know if she had been there for years and was an young feather at birth.
>>
File: kumikoconsider.jpg (734KB, 1700x956px) Image search: [Google]
kumikoconsider.jpg
734KB, 1700x956px
Sora no Woto is Haibane Renmei done right.
>>
>>160215339
It's hard to say. I think they probably show up at the age they died. It's also possible they were older/any age and happen to be put in Glie as teenagers/young adults. But I think thats less likely.
>>
>>160215588
I was wondering when you would show up
>>
Looks like ABe's new comic is up. Its about a girl who makes food on her own as she comes home from school

https://comic.pixiv.net/viewer/stories/26500
>>
>>160217807
Neat. Kinda wish I knew what ripping software worked for Pixiv comic so I could dump it.
>>
>>160207693
Perhaps the wall told them that Rakka touched it.
>>
>>160158846
They're in Glie because died in a regrettable way. Or maybe there is no reason, and some just find their way there.
>>
>>160159876
Haibane Renmei is sincerely religious, but it is also extremely post-modern in its religiosity. Meaning, it isn't systematic. It's invalid to really claim anything systematic about why some are in Glie.
>>
>>160163730
>In Christianity, suicide is a mortal sin. God really, really hates that shit
Please stop saying incorrect things about Christianity. You know nothing.
>>
>>160159876
>Protestants I think let their kids choose when they want to be baptized, I think in a way to allow the kid to take responsibility for their faith.

Protestant here. I was baptized at a very young age which is normal in my country.
>>
>>160199679
The series is about grief and approaches it effectively. "I've lost my anchor and compass" vs "I'm sad and upset and angry!"
>>
>>160221716
It's not necessarily religious, its about human connections and grief and self worth. The setting may be religious in some sense if you read it that way, but the whole thing is a metaphor for human existence.
>>
>>160222842
You're reducing it to humanism. The series isn't humanistic.
>>
>>160222842
>>160222984
By that I mean, you are a humanist and cannot see anything beyond that disgustingly hateful ideology, and reduce what you see to humanism also.
>>
>>160223024
Who hurt you? You know you have a crow out there too right?
>>
>>160223104
What? Do you not understand what humanism is? It's the source of every transgression against humanity.
>>
>>160221037
That's what I always assumed.
>>
>>160158237
I'm an overly cynical 28 y/o balding dude and that show made me feel things I didn't even know humans could feel.
>>
File: goodtaste.png (1MB, 829x894px) Image search: [Google]
goodtaste.png
1MB, 829x894px
>>160209966
It's also one of Developer-kun's favourites.
>>
>>160221776
So is it not a mortal sin?
>>
>>160226698
it doesn't get more entry level than this, desu
>>
>>160228050
Entry level sure, but at least it's still decent taste.
>>
>>160230106
Some good dicussions
>>
>>160226120
Yea this one wrecked me and I don't usually react to anime like that. Shows like Angel Beats and Clannad are like the Notebook, tearjerkers. This one hits you in the soul.
>>
>>160228050
You must be joking anon.
>>
>>160160370
>it's
>'
Stop
doing
that
>>
The early digital animation ''style'' really suits this show.
>>
>>160236019
Honestly, if it had a massive budget a la UBW most of the charm would be gone. People who care so much about visuals are retarded, and the shows they like will look dated in a decade anyway.
>>
>>160158237
It's consistently on peoples top/favorite lists. You don't see threads because this board primarily discusses ongoing series.
>>
>>160158237
>I don't think I've ever seen one on /a/.
Then you're new as fuck. For a series as old as HR, it gets decent threads pretty damn regularly.
>>
>>160236019
Even its weaknesses actual work to its advantage, truly a wonderfully crafted work of Art.
>>
Haibane threads are comfy cause it's a comfy show, Texhnolyze threads are comfy cause we all have PTSD and need to chill after watching it, and Lain threads are full of that one hilarious autistic anon. 3/3 comfy.
>>
>>160238307
I wish NieA_7 got a little bit of love
>>
>>160238617
Never seen it honestly, but it's on my list right after I finish Texhnolyze.
>>
File: Niea 7 v01 c01 006.jpg (161KB, 755x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Niea 7 v01 c01 006.jpg
161KB, 755x1100px
>>160238617
It does from me whenever I see it mentioned but so few people have seen it in comparison to Lain and Haibane Renmei that it sadly gets sidelined.
Sure it's not nearly as polished or as consistently good as the other two but it's not without its own merits.
>>
>>160238751
Haibane isn't that polished, ABe wrote it ad lib. What's amazing about that show is that it manages to be so fucking good while being so raw at the same time. You can really feel that aspect when you watch the show.
>>
I don't believe this thread be alive yet, haibane renmei have more fans than i expected
>>
>>160160742
wait until ep 8
>>
>>160239524
It's not a Haibane Renmei thread if it doesn't reach bump limit.
>>
>haibane renmei have more fans than i expected
Hell, at least try to pretend you aren't new.
>>
>>160239524
Haibane threads reach bump limit every few months or so. It's ABe related, lots of people like it.
>>
>>160158237
evangelion done right and unpretentiously
>>
File: Haibane1004.jpg (187KB, 1016x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane1004.jpg
187KB, 1016x1542px
>>
>>160243255
that's the girl i was telling you about
>>
File: Haibane3001.jpg (179KB, 859x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3001.jpg
179KB, 859x1230px
Dumping the Haibane Lifestyle Diary.

It's got some nice details about the world and the characters and it's good to see ABe's own thoughts about aspects of them. Also, the 4koma in it are cute.
>>
File: Haibane3003.jpg (219KB, 819x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3003.jpg
219KB, 819x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3004.jpg (174KB, 822x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3004.jpg
174KB, 822x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3005.jpg (145KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3005.jpg
145KB, 816x1230px
>entire page about shoe making materials
Sasuga ABe
>>
File: Haibane3006.jpg (214KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3006.jpg
214KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3007.jpg (219KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3007.jpg
219KB, 816x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3008.jpg (188KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3008.jpg
188KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3009.jpg (240KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3009.jpg
240KB, 816x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3010.jpg (189KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3010.jpg
189KB, 819x1236px
>>
>>160238617
NieA gets its love within Tex, Lain, and Haibane threads.
>>
>>160244121
Page 11 is a duplicate file which can be found here: >>160198341
>>
File: Haibane3012.jpg (183KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3012.jpg
183KB, 819x1236px
I quite like retarded doujinshi-Rakka, it's a shame they toned it down in the anime.
>>
File: Haibane3013.jpg (211KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3013.jpg
211KB, 816x1230px
Some details about Old Home which, as an anon in a previous thread mentioned is supposedly based on an abandoned school in France. Not sure we'll ever know for sure though without someone actually asking ABe.
>>
File: Haibane3014.jpg (188KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3014.jpg
188KB, 819x1236px
It's been a while since I last rewatched the anime but it really does look more like a boarding school in these sketches than I remember it being in the show.
>>
File: Haibane3015.jpg (164KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3015.jpg
164KB, 816x1230px
ABe being lazy.
>>
File: Haibane3016.jpg (128KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3016.jpg
128KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3017.jpg (126KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3017.jpg
126KB, 816x1230px
The comfiest season.
>>
File: Haibane3018.jpg (184KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3018.jpg
184KB, 819x1236px
Oh look, it's the obligatory crow in every ABe work ever.

>The dog is the gate guardian's dog.
I don't remember this. Either I'm retarded or it was cut.
>>
File: Haibane3019.jpg (162KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3019.jpg
162KB, 816x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3020.jpg (101KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3020.jpg
101KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3021.jpg (160KB, 816x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3021.jpg
160KB, 816x1230px
Some early Rakkas.
>>
File: Haibane3022.jpg (187KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3022.jpg
187KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3023.jpg (203KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3023.jpg
203KB, 825x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3024_25.jpg (111KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3024_25.jpg
111KB, 1024x770px
>That will be tackled in the main show.
Maybe in season 2, right? ;_;
>>
>>160244681
>I don't remember this. Either I'm retarded or it was cut
Episode 2
>>
File: Haibane3026.jpg (197KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3026.jpg
197KB, 819x1236px
Young Reki a cute!

>>160245008
That answers that then, thanks anon.
>>
File: Haibane3027.jpg (173KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3027.jpg
173KB, 825x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3028.jpg (155KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3028.jpg
155KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3029.jpg (154KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3029.jpg
154KB, 825x1230px
Not sure why this is cropped slightly but at least it's only a Kuu page.
>>
File: Haibane3030.jpg (188KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3030.jpg
188KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3031.jpg (146KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3031.jpg
146KB, 825x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3032.jpg (168KB, 819x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3032.jpg
168KB, 819x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3033.jpg (193KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3033.jpg
193KB, 825x1230px
>>
File: Haibane3034.jpg (200KB, 837x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3034.jpg
200KB, 837x1236px
>>
File: Haibane3035.jpg (171KB, 825x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3035.jpg
171KB, 825x1230px
Very frustratingly, this last page is untranslated. If anyone has a translated version if one exists, I'd be grateful.
>>
File: Haibane3036.jpg (135KB, 825x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3036.jpg
135KB, 825x1236px
This Rakka and the comments at the start of this are dated as having been made almost exactly 15 years ago.
>>
File: Haibane3038.jpg (42KB, 859x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane3038.jpg
42KB, 859x1230px
And that's all there is.
>>
>>160245574
i wonder if abe still uses this email
>>
>>160245629
He lists a different email in some of his later doujinshi so I doubt it's his main one if he does still use it.
>>
>>160245619
Thanks, anon. That was interesting.
>>
>>160245619
thanks for the dump, anon, really cool stuff!
>>
Wait, this is the original doujinshi?
>>
File: Charcoal Feather Federation - 01.jpg (186KB, 1004x1416px) Image search: [Google]
Charcoal Feather Federation - 01.jpg
186KB, 1004x1416px
>>160247256
The Lifestyle Diary? No. The original doujinshi is from 1998.
>>
>>160245128
Was Kuu supposed to be kind of boyish or what? I kept thinking she was a boy and even after she left that guy at the restaurant called her a boy.
>>
>>160248144
I kept forgetting that she was a girl for most of the show. She's certainly boyish but not actually a boy.
>>
>>160249933
I wasn't ever really confused about Kana though, and she's much more of a tomboy.
>>
>>160158237
>I just finished this show and put off making a thread while I was watching it because I didn't want anything spoiled. Now that I'm done though
I'll spoil it for others
>>
If anyone likes AMVs, here's a great one. It doesn't work well as a trailer for the series though, too many spoilers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZR48ESjPiE
>>
File: Despera never.jpg (20KB, 267x301px) Image search: [Google]
Despera never.jpg
20KB, 267x301px
>>160174233
>New director
>Ever coming out
Never ever forever never
>>
>>160244427
Here is a quote from him on that. I don't know if it was an abandoned school though:
https://otakumode.com/shop/560b559eaa77ccbf7ff425a6/Yoshitoshi-ABe-20th-Anniversary-Signed-Premium-Art-Print-In-Front-of-the-Old-Home-Gate-Haibane-Renmei
>>
>>160244018
>I wonder why the heck I even drew it
Literally me.
>>
>>160244980
It was, they can only fly when they go over the wall.
>>
>>160158237
Will Japan ever make another good anime?
>>
It's fucking k-on with some hipster 'avant garde' shit on it. Literally retarded.
>>
>>160252324
It's a Haibane Renmei thread, not a Sora no Woto thread.
>>
File: smacked.jpg (83KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
smacked.jpg
83KB, 800x450px
>>160252324
>>
File: Haibane.Renmei.full.207633.jpg (280KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane.Renmei.full.207633.jpg
280KB, 1600x1200px
I want a comfy life like the Haibane
>>
>>160238617
NieA was super boring to me. I dropped it by the third episode.l
>>
>>160158237
>don't think I've ever seen one on /a/
Almost every Haibane thread has started with that for years now.
>>
>>160254322
They get over run by shitposters pretty quickly. This is the longest I've seen one go in a long while.

>>160244681
The gate guardian was going to have dialog but they dropped it for time. That guy is a big character in Hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world. If they left him in it would have been a bit too much.
>>
>>160250820
this was brought up before but I am sorry if you've gotten anything spoiled from this thread. At the same time, it is a Haibane thread and if you haven't seen the show yet and still decided to click through this thread, you need to take some responsibility for your actions.

>>160254534
>This is the longest I've seen one go in a long while.
I should thank everybody for making this a great thread. I kept getting scared it would die when I was asleep or something but it keeps getting saved with more good posts. Thanks everyone!
>>
>>160254617
I was just joking anon. Already saw this anime, the music was amazing.
>>
File: pixiv lain haibane.jpg (152KB, 737x976px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv lain haibane.jpg
152KB, 737x976px
>>160254617
Thank you too anon! Here, have a tiny Rakka.
>>
>>160254534
>they tend to get over run by shitposters pretty quickly
Such is the suffering of a slow thread. But at least the slowness adds a nice laid back feel to the discussion. Before the shit comes at least.
>>
>>160251064
Yeah, that's pretty powerful.
>>
>>160251064
>AMV
>>
>>160254617
Sometimes the stars align and everyone wants to have a civil discussion about something we haven't talked about in a while. I will remind you about the ephemerality of this place though and to not expect one like this in months or even years.
>>
File: pixiv rakka sky.jpg (459KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv rakka sky.jpg
459KB, 680x510px
Went trawling through the tags on pixiv, here's some of what I found. https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=62532789
>>
File: pixiv desk rakka.jpg (256KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv desk rakka.jpg
256KB, 480x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=62476462
>>
File: pixiv street haibane.jpg (185KB, 315x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv street haibane.jpg
185KB, 315x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=62525020
>>
The onset of the black feathers was the most memorable part for me. The way Rakka reacts to it and how Reki tries to help her through it really got to me.
>>
File: pixiv what are they saying.jpg (204KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv what are they saying.jpg
204KB, 600x393px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61661920
>>
File: pixiv sad rakka.jpg (108KB, 344x498px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv sad rakka.jpg
108KB, 344x498px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61474014
Winter Rakka a cute
>>
>>160255425
Ret's all rove Rakka.
>>
File: pixiv rakka stairs.jpg (145KB, 404x406px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv rakka stairs.jpg
145KB, 404x406px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=60528623
>>
File: pixiv haibane blue flow.jpg (2MB, 3295x1800px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv haibane blue flow.jpg
2MB, 3295x1800px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=49661843
>>
File: pixiv chibi rakka.png (298KB, 381x504px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv chibi rakka.png
298KB, 381x504px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=63769651
>>
File: pixiv yuri haibane.png (339KB, 528x402px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv yuri haibane.png
339KB, 528x402px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=60491832
Oh my.
>>
File: pixiv more abe girls.jpg (206KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv more abe girls.jpg
206KB, 600x424px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=59999229
>>
File: pixiv hikari computer.jpg (56KB, 444x333px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv hikari computer.jpg
56KB, 444x333px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=54129034
>>
File: pixiv hikari sun.jpg (183KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv hikari sun.jpg
183KB, 600x379px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=50893012
Hikari a cute.
>>
File: pixiv train scene.jpg (93KB, 431x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv train scene.jpg
93KB, 431x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=50213049
>>
File: pixiv kuu.jpg (242KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv kuu.jpg
242KB, 595x842px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=48998315
>>
>>160255425
starting from right bubble:

fellow Haibane, don't say a word

Reki is good!

good...
>>
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=47472461
Looks like some sort of mega crossover, I recognize Homu in there.
>>
File: pixiv winter haibane.jpg (143KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv winter haibane.jpg
143KB, 424x600px
>>160256186
Many thanks, you are a scholar and a gentleman.
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46837226
>>
File: 1455770646472.jpg (52KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
1455770646472.jpg
52KB, 800x536px
>>160191286
Well, it is a nice looking lighter.
>>
File: 1455822692298.jpg (111KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1455822692298.jpg
111KB, 1024x768px
>>160256314
Reki owns a lot of cool looking stuff.
>>
File: pixiv rakka family.jpg (160KB, 361x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv rakka family.jpg
160KB, 361x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46738185
Different, but I like it.
Wish more of these were high-res, these are the original resolutions even with the account. Still, low-res > no-res.
>>
File: pixiv rakka kuu.jpg (273KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv rakka kuu.jpg
273KB, 600x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=45805647
>>
File: 1455774429001.jpg (171KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1455774429001.jpg
171KB, 1024x768px
Some anon posted pics from a Haibane book that I couldn't find scans of, will dump what I have
>>
>>160256314
what kind of lighter is it?
>>
File: pixiv emo haibane.jpg (211KB, 600x540px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv emo haibane.jpg
211KB, 600x540px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46321003
>>
File: 1455774603907.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1455774603907.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
>>160256460
>>
File: pixiv reki.jpg (35KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv reki.jpg
35KB, 400x450px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=45004082
>>
>>160253370
On one hand it would be a comfy life. Like living out in the country, you have a lot of free time and can generally spend it as you wish. You're not expected to really do too much in a day, and life is easy with few responsibilities or duties.

On the other, you live as a sort of second class citizen, excluded from most things life has to offer. You'll never own a house, get married, have kids. You'll never earn money, everything you own is second hand at best, passes down for decades at worst. Above all, you live with the constant reminder that this is all temporary, that before you know it your friends will leave, possibly without even giving you the chance to say goodbye. You don't have long from the day you wake-up in bed surrounded by smiling faces and halos.

>>160256489
I think it's an IMCO. The full size one is about $20 on amazon, the 6700. There are some other models that are smaller but you have to hunt around for them more.
>>
>>160256460
>>160256500
kek, I just scrolled up this thread to see that he's also in this thread. He never dumped the entire book last Haibane thread
>>
File: pixiv young reki.jpg (156KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv young reki.jpg
156KB, 480x600px
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=207025
Last one for tonight gents. Take it easy.
>>
>>160245501
I made an attempt or at least to get the gist of it. My Japanese is absolute crap though so there are large parts of it I couldn't figure out the kanji for and some of it is just a guess based on what I could figure out.

"Afterword

How was that?

The Anime version, or should I say, the original things, whichever you call it, contains all the serious themes, such that this work became a place for all of the light, small jokes all together in one place.

Now, the TV series scenario is considerably simmered and packed full, that being the case this book became all the good things on my mind.

Something about the schedule...

The first books pace was written by my own free will but became TV series with a pace differing in speed, so things had to change for animators this way and that way ....

Something about his goal was to write 13 good scenarios (episodes) without collapsing.

Please support the TV series direction ("yoroshiku onegaishimasu" and all that entails)

2002.07.29 Abe Yoshitoshi"
>>
File: 01.jpg (578KB, 1700x2338px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
578KB, 1700x2338px
>>160256653
Speaking about artbooks, I scanned a few ABe artbooks that I bought. I'd give an arm and a leg to own that one anon's Haibane artbook.

Sadly, there's no Haibane art in these artbooks.

https://mega.nz/#!aVxg1YgS!N63Bn7YfqTl-U5ItbfZ0zgznGfH4TqgsR2xr8Ghts5o

https://mega.nz/#!7cozCJCL!2zWAqgZt--PA74LtY7IEweT4QxEzuZe54WMVpVXs384
>>
>>160256653
>>160256789
Yea thats me. There is an artbook (guri no machi...) and then 8 scenario books which have the script for each episode and a bunch of production sketches/artwork. You can find them on ebay or mandarake (much cheaper). I have 7 of the 8 and I've been trying to take pictures of the more interesting sketches but its slow going and I don't have a scanner.
>>
>>160256925
Buy a scanner, my nigga. Those are some rare stuff you got there.
>>
File: IMG_3453.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3453.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160256972
Eventually. I don't want to bend the pages too much.
>>
>>160257321
I know how you feel anon, it sucks that anime artbooks are such a niche interest. You can't really rely on other people to go through and scan everything
>>
File: IMG_3457.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3457.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>160257438
I took pics of the rest of the really interesting sketches from the other books, these are just a few but there are dozens more of random townspeople, places, and objects.
>>
File: IMG_3458.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3458.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258397
clocktower design
>>
File: IMG_3463.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3463.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>160258452
hanging out on the bridge
>>
File: IMG_3465.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3465.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258509
Rakka with a basket
>>
File: IMG_3467.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3467.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258546
Hikari
>>
File: IMG_3473.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3473.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258597
places in Old Home
>>
File: IMG_3468.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3468.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258644
In the Renmei temple
>>
>>160258452
I loved the clock tower in the town, and even the one at Old Home. I feel like it was symbolic in that it's sort of a reminder to all the Haibane that their time in this place is fleeting. Not to mention the sort of clockwork nature of the Haibane coming into that world and leaving.

When Kana "fixed" the clock tower at old home and it rang non-stop I think it added a lot of tension to the chaotic situation that was developing with Kuu's departure and the storm that rolled in. In the same day it went from being a loud, annoying nuisance to being a guiding reference point as they traveled into the western woods. It was just a clever duality that added to the atmosphere. What was irritating and unpleasant quickly became a sort of beacon to safety and warmth.
>>
File: IMG_3469.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3469.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>160258685
last one for now, Rakka and Reki
>>
>>160167628
despera, it's airing in 2009
>>
>>160258712
There were so many great details and things that fit together well. It made the world seem real and lived in. Nothing felt like "oh thats the important plot device for later" it all just flowed naturally.
>>
File: 1410943625529.jpg (20KB, 332x328px) Image search: [Google]
1410943625529.jpg
20KB, 332x328px
>>160258816
Anon, don't make the wounds deeper
>>
I'm going to watch it what am I in for?
>>
>>160171117
>lol wut? C'mon
Leave, cancer.
>>
>>160258960
comfy

also sadness
>>
>>160185399
Damn, this is great. Thank you so much,
>>
>>160185399
Wait, there was a blu-ray for the show?
>>
>>160206587
>ABe related stuff
Where to find this?
>>
>>160206587
>>160259506
You can get nearly everything on ebay and Mandarake. Just search haibane or yoshitoshi abe. Theres a price markup on ebay but if you watch for a while you can get them cheaper. On Mandarake everything is priced in yen and you have to pay shipping for each "store" separately but if you get the copies from all the same store the shipping isn't that horrible. 100 yen ~ 1 dollar. Most of the doujins are going for $10-20 each, and the artbook is ~$40. SAHRA is their big warehouse so if you can order from that its usually quicker.
>>
>>160259330
The bluray is an upscale of the DVD and I don't think it got a US release. The Funimation DVD's are based on the Japanese blu ray, and the older Geneon/Pioneer DVDs look warmer.
>>
>>160259723
thanks for the info
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (204KB, 886x621px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
204KB, 886x621px
Nice, another Haibane Renmei thread passing 300 post and being last.
>>
>>160259884
Good anime deserves 300+ posts
>>
>>160245374
literally me
>>
>>160259884
>there were TWO Haibane threads that reached bump limit last year
Glorious. Admittedly the second wasn't as good, though.
>>
I wish I could download the actual DVDs by the way
>>
File: haibane_032.jpg (329KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_032.jpg
329KB, 845x1200px
a few from the artbook that i havent seen posted before
>>
File: haibane_040.jpg (418KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_040.jpg
418KB, 845x1200px
>>160260499
>>
>>160260487
Why don't you just buy the DVD? It's not like they're out of stock.
>>
File: haibane_04344.png (2MB, 1690x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_04344.png
2MB, 1690x1200px
>>160260535
>>
File: haibane_047.jpg (432KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_047.jpg
432KB, 845x1200px
>>160260611
>>
File: haibane_05354.png (3MB, 1690x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_05354.png
3MB, 1690x1200px
>>160260639
>>
File: haibane_06162.png (3MB, 1690x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_06162.png
3MB, 1690x1200px
>>160260715
At least one of Reki's art pieces was based on Van Gogh's wheatfield with crows (esp. the one
second from the bottom one on the right)
>>
File: haibane_06364.png (3MB, 1690x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_06364.png
3MB, 1690x1200px
>>160260824
I can't imagine being in that room
>>
>>160260824
Now I just imagine a young Reki in her past life going to a museum and being amazed while looking at a Van Gogh painting for the first time.
>>
File: haibane_069.jpg (433KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_069.jpg
433KB, 845x1200px
>>160260903
>>
File: haibane_072.jpg (148KB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
haibane_072.jpg
148KB, 845x1200px
>>160260958
"....Reki, is no longer here? ....thank goodness"
>>
File: b1_083.jpg (468KB, 1424x2000px) Image search: [Google]
b1_083.jpg
468KB, 1424x2000px
>>160261154
>>
Are the doujins by ABe any good? They don't look translated though. Has anyone here read them?
>>
>>160261396
There are 4 doujins that are typical doujins, someone posted the lifestyle one already in this thread. Those are translated and they are nice. Two of them are the beginning of the story (basically episodes 1 and 2) and then the last doujin is a flashback of Reki right after Kuramori left. It has more detail than the anime does about that time and is definitely worth reading. You can find them translated online.
>>
>>160256590
Buying one off amazon is going to get you a chinese knockoff, like 99%. Make like a haibane and buy a used one.
>>
File: Haibane4001.jpg (139KB, 722x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane4001.jpg
139KB, 722x1009px
Here is the fourth doujin
>>
File: combinedHaibane40024003.jpg (599KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40024003.jpg
599KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262029
read right to left
>>
>>160261154
Nemu is pure waifu material
>>
File: combinedHaibane40044005.jpg (460KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40044005.jpg
460KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262052
>>
File: combinedHaibane40064007.jpg (475KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40064007.jpg
475KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262091
>>
File: combinedHaibane40084009.jpg (569KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40084009.jpg
569KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262141
>>
File: combinedHaibane40104011.jpg (532KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40104011.jpg
532KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262170
>>
File: combinedHaibane40124013.jpg (473KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40124013.jpg
473KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262199
>>
File: combinedHaibane40144015.jpg (529KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40144015.jpg
529KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262227
>>
File: combinedHaibane40164017.jpg (454KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40164017.jpg
454KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262260
>>
File: combinedHaibane40184019.jpg (473KB, 1444x1009px) Image search: [Google]
combinedHaibane40184019.jpg
473KB, 1444x1009px
>>160262282
>>
File: Haibane4020.jpg (105KB, 722x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Haibane4020.jpg
105KB, 722x1009px
>>160262310
>>
>>160262330
Thanks for dumping, anon.
>>
>>160262260
What exactly did she do to cause the accident?
>>
>>160262770
Did you watch the anime?

She convinced Hyouko to escape from Guri with her or at least help her escape. He tried to climb the wall by driving spikes into it. By touching the wall (and attacking it, even worse) he became really sick, similar to how Rakka was sick when she touched it.
>>
>>160263646
Ah that's right, it's been years since I watched it
>>
File: Rakka Beam.jpg (171KB, 660x700px) Image search: [Google]
Rakka Beam.jpg
171KB, 660x700px
>>
>>160256787
Thanks so much for this. It's a big help.
>>
Could Onishi have saved Lux if he won or was it all completely pointless?
>>
>>160266798
He probably never had a chance of succeeding.
>>
File: usami.png (357KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
usami.png
357KB, 720x720px
tfw this is sitting towards the top of my backlog
tfw if I had bumped it up a couple of places I could have participated in this thread
>>
File: 1235517215656.jpg (83KB, 900x615px) Image search: [Google]
1235517215656.jpg
83KB, 900x615px
>>160208006

If I remember Haibane Renmei for one thing, it's the idea that there's always someone out there who will care enough to help you if you sincerely ask.
>>
>>160267771
>R: 408 / I: 148

There's still time if you have 5½ hours to marathon the whole series at once.
>>
>>160267771
Just make sure you're around for the next one.
>>
>>160267809
In a similar vein, I think it tried to pass on a message that there is always a chance for redemption, no matter how bad things are. Reki felt damned for her actions, and bottled up that fear of being stuck in Glie until the very end. She finally gathered the courage to ask for forgiveness for what happened and those people forgave her and it was at that point she realized she didn't have to carry that guilt around with her anymore. Rakka was an important catalyst in this, but ultimately it was something Reki needed to realize on her own. She was forgiven by the people she believed she hurt, which allowed her to forgive herself and move on from that mental trap of guilt. She couldn't have done it on her own, and at the same time she had to forgive herself above all if she wanted to get over what happened all those years ago.
>>
What's the best batch for this show?
>>
wow, the thread is living!
>>
>>160268085
Touching, relevent life lessons? In MY anime?
>>
>>160256789
You've made my day with these scans anon. It's getting more and more difficult to find things to add to my ABe collection these days.

Maybe I'll have to finally make the leap and go and order some of his stuff online.
>>
What did you guys think about that "circle of sin" stuff that the masked guy told Rakka about? If you recognize your own sin, then you have no sin or something. Was it easier for Rakka to get out of because of how the crows lured her to the dead one? Or was Rakka more courageous for even going down there in the first place?
Thread posts: 417
Thread images: 149

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.