[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Armored Trooper Votoms. 35 years on, it's still the greatest.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: votoms.jpg (80KB, 649x662px) Image search: [Google]
votoms.jpg
80KB, 649x662px
Armored Trooper Votoms. 35 years on, it's still the greatest. An interesting, vast, gritty universe, topped off by probably the best use of mecha as a legitimate combat vehicle. Let's talk about how good this series is.
>>
File: 1446882206475.jpg (27KB, 469x451px) Image search: [Google]
1446882206475.jpg
27KB, 469x451px
>>
File: chirico.jpg (139KB, 718x933px) Image search: [Google]
chirico.jpg
139KB, 718x933px
The episodes where Chirico is losing his mind on the spaceship are the best part of Votoms.
>>
Looks like a Zaku II.
>>
space nam is the best arc transition in anime ever.
too bad when they went full 2001 was kinda letdown.
>>
>>159433571
But the mecha weren't a legitimate combat vehicle. Chirico could take them out with his trusty side arm consistently and a Mellowlink could take them out by the dozens alone with just one rifle.
>>
>>159433854
anon please
>>
[muffled sax playing in the distance]
>>
>>159434195
I'm just saying literally every robot in the universe vs 1 guy with a gun actual happens at the end of the series and the guy with a gun wins. Clealy it means Scopedogs are shit tier.
>>
>>159433571
Zakulets
>>
File: 1271433227126.jpg (264KB, 1132x1600px)
1271433227126.jpg
264KB, 1132x1600px
>>
>>159433571
Looks like that anime adaptation of Starship Troopers (the book). Tell me /m/ scholars, would mechs exist in anime if it wasn't for Heinlein's conceptualization of power armor?
>>
>>159437332
Yes. Because Tetsujin. That said real robot mecha would probably take longer to establish it's tropes and take over the genre .
>>
>>159433854
>>159434295

That kind of is the point. When they were introduced in World War I, and even now, aircraft are easy to destroy lest you're really good at piloting them. And in World War I, if they can, infantrymen can just snipe the pilot's head off.

>>159438159

But in terms of being used in war stories?
>>
>>159438644
>even now, aircraft are easy to destroy lest you're really good at piloting them. And in World War I, if they can, infantrymen can just snipe the pilot's head off.
I don't know much about warfare but I suspect this is complete bullshit
>>
>>159438729
Not that Anon. But:
Things changed in WW2 but in WW1 was common to have platoons just shooting at the aircraft with small arms fire.

They were slower and flew lower than WW2 aircrafts.
>>
>>159439697
Not him, but it's the idea of someone "sniping" an airplane pilot's head off that's ridiculous. Only a robot would be able to calculate a bullet trajectory combined with wind speed, etc. to hit something moving as fast as an airplane with sniper precision.
>>
>>159439834
I'm going to hope that that Anon was using a hyperbole instead of being a retard.
>>
>>159433646
I can still hear the music, make it stop!
>>
>>159439834
>>159439902
The Red Baron was shot in such a way. Although it hit his neck IIRC.

Not like there's a full certainty of it, being shot over a battlefield and all.
>>
>>159440729
>The Red Baron
Richthofen was likely shot by an anti-aircraft machine gunner, not a rifleman. It's the notion of infantrymen sniping pilot's heads off with rifles that is retarded, anon, and that's what your post seemed to imply.
>>
>>159440729
>The Red Baron was shot in such a way. Although it hit his neck IIRC.

What?

Red Baron was shot down either in a dogfight by another aircraft or by ground AA artillery.
Not by infantry sniping with small arms and even less by a infantry head shot.
>>
>>159440933
>>159440984
In level flight, hitting a bi- or triplane isn't that unlikely. It's like taking potshots at a highway from your porch - you might go through hundreds of rounds (just like the troopers did) but eventually you'd make the perfect shot, all the while becoming more and more accurate.

Granted, I haven't seen Votoms and the exploits of the protagonists, but hitting targets really is just a matter of training.
>>
>>159441306
>eventually you'd make the perfect shot
Out of sheer luck, multiplied by hundreds of rounds. Eventually you'd hit the engine, or a wing spar, control cable, etc. You're still missing the point that your description of "sniping a pilot's head off" is asinine and wrong.
>>
>>159441585
>multiplied by hundreds of rounds
and do you have any idea how many rounds snipers or sports marksmen go through in training

It's much harder to hit a target three kilometers away, but people have still done it.
>>
>>159439834
>t.nogunz
It would be super fucking difficult but it would be doable with a ww1 bi plane
>>
>>159441825
Look, you're talking to a history buff. Marksmen in either world war did not train for or participate in trying to take aimed shots at pilots, much less their heads. You sound like a retarded child, the kind that runs down hallways with his hands behind him, and thinks the guns from Hellsing are totally cool and why US soldiers don't carry them.
>>
VOTOMs mecha is the most believable by far, given that it's the far flung future set during/after the interstellar conflict between to vast empires, and the best they can come up with is shitty tin cans. Meanwhile, Earth-bound privately funded organizations can create the indestructible Gundams that have energy weapons.
>>
>>159442417
(You)
>>
File: katana.gif (1000KB, 500x239px) Image search: [Google]
katana.gif
1000KB, 500x239px
>>159441936
Yes anon. Slicing the barrel of a machine gun with a katana is also doable. How many times has this actually happened in a real battle? Probably as many times as bi plane pilots being sniped by riflemen.
>>
>>159440984
Realistically, the size of your arms has no bearing on your ability to aim a rifle.
>>
>>159442930
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_J._Baggett
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.