[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with watching anime dubbed? The japanese v

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1484868461144.jpg (39KB, 570x320px) Image search: [Google]
1484868461144.jpg
39KB, 570x320px
What's wrong with watching anime dubbed? The japanese voices aren't recorded during animation, so it's not like in live-action series where something is lost. The only downside I can see is lacking honorifics or an otherwise bad translation. But that can happen with subtitles too, no?
Here's a comparison: https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1498857931772.webm
>>
>>159160831
Because the vast majority of dubs are done as cheaply as possible (which is saying something), and lack the talent, voice direction, or just wherewithal to get through their lines. There's more to voice acting than simply reciting lines; emotion can be felt across languages and it takes a lot of effort to coax a good performance out.

If it was something like Kojima personally directing Kiefer Sutherland, nobody would give a shit, but they don't. It's like listening to the Beatles in mono or stereo: one they personally mixed with care and craft, and the other they left to the engineers to do whatever with - which one do you want to listen to?
>>
I'm posting in your thread, but I'm not give you a (You). Be satisfied.
>>
>>159161304
>implying I'd spend the time to make a webm for a bait thread
>>
People responsible for the dub probably didnt read the source or give a fuck about the characters they are voicing.
>>
File: 1476545372656.png (180KB, 628x487px) Image search: [Google]
1476545372656.png
180KB, 628x487px
>>159161340
What I don't understand is why you'd spend the time making a webm instead of just researching this in the archives.

The quality of voice-acting is usually worse and it's not uncommon for the original lines to get butchered for the sake of fluidity. I'd rather interpret an anime with what little Japanese I know than suffer through a dubbing's rendition.
>>
>>159160831
https://youtu.be/C80qgl0T4zE
>>
What very, very, very few people appreciate is that the voice acting in anime is an artistic part of the work. The actors were selected for their roles, they were directed by the production team, they were reading from the original script written by the production team (and with subtitles that script is still there, it's just a matter of how much Japanese you understand). The voice actors are part of the characters and their performances are an important artistic part of the work. Anime voice acting also has a particular sound to it that dubs lack. And then there's the quality issues with dubs.
>>
If you were actually curious you could have checked the archive for the 10k other times this has been discussed. No one is actually curious what the other side thinks at this point. Also it usually devolves into weeb accusations, although most of the arguments against dubs aren't restricted to honorable Nipponland animations..
>>
>>159160831
Subbed anime is retarded desu. The voices always sound nothing like I expect them to be in the sub, but in the dub they often come out as expected. Anyone who falls for the "muh sub" meme is likely just a weeb who thinks Japan is an accepting society and will let them in with open arms when they stupidly move their
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.