[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it about Berserk that made it such a captivating story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1449840715461.png (379KB, 1230x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1449840715461.png
379KB, 1230x1800px
What was it about Berserk that made it such a captivating story? Will we ever see anything out of Japan that is as superlative in this lifetime?
>>
>>158905319
Western influences.
>>
>>158905689
this. Anime is such a shit genre that it's best examples are the ones who tried to imitate western comics.
>>
>>158905753
I was thinking more about Western films. Berserk was heavily inspired by 70s and 80s movies. I think watching them taught Miura how to use panels and cinematic approach to manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cXcS49D64
Miura himself said that Excalibur was one of his influences and it shows.
>>
>>158905753
>Anime is a genre and it's all shit
Not only that's retarded but OP isn't even talking about anime. go back to your retarded internet forums
>>
>>158905753
>Anime is such a shit genre
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>158905914
Sadly it's not Miura's only influence and currently he is getting influenced mostly by otaku trash.
>>
>>158905319
I think that it's because Miura really put his heart into it.
In his interviews you can see how passionate he is about manga. He used to read fucking everything. From what he says he seems like a really sensible person too, saying how he felt the need to add lighthearted characters like Puck because he couldn't stomach that much dark stuff. Having an actual formation as artist might help too.

It's probably also because most characters (at least golden age onwards) are really believable, having beliefs, conflicts and dreams. Miura supposedly based the members of band of the hawk on people he knew, so these are real personalities of actual people.
To be fair though I don't know, but it feels like a perfect storm of everything fitting nicely.
>>
>>158907168
Yea I think it's really clear he used to really give a shit about writing a good story with meaningful characters. It's ironic, but I think it's the >darkness that actually ended up tanking the series. After the eclipse, where else is there for the story to go? You can either do *a little* character regression and than wrap things up, or you can drag things out forever with trivial filler.
>>
>>158905319
Guts
>>
it feels merciless while most other storys feel tame.
>>
>>158905319
I tried to read it and it was fucking shit, I didn't want to continue, but I really, REALLY like the whole atmosphere of people behaving like animals and everything comes down to primal instincts and desires, and the only redemption from this sin is death.

Manga felt like real life chronicles that I would gladly believe in, yet I didn't like it.
>>
>>158905689
To be fiar, Berserk was also inspired (artwork, character design and some elements of the setting and plot) were influence by Fist of the North Star. But then again that was influence by western films itself so whatever.

>>158905914
I don't know if Muira ever confirmed whether Evil Dead was an influence but it certainly looks like it was.
>>
>>158911903
sounds like youre an idiot then
>>
>>158905319
Griffith
>>
>>158912155
did nothing wrong
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.