[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mass is 72.5 kg (160 pounds), which by E=mc^2 means I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: 14.png (506KB, 891x1300px) Image search: [Google]
14.png
506KB, 891x1300px
My mass is 72.5 kg (160 pounds), which by E=mc^2 means I have 6.515975045.8419 x10^18 joules of energy, or 6,515,975,045 trillion joules. Senku needed 2 trillion joules to run his brain for 3,700 years. I don't know Senku's weight so I'm using mine instead, which means I would only need to burn .0000000003% of my mass to break free from the stone, Senku probably required something similar.

That's 0.00000002kg (or 0.00000004 pounds). The real story of this manga is humanity using internal nuclear fusion reactors to live instead of having to inefficiently consume calories.
>>
>>158273664
damn, I forgot the Dr.Stone title
>>
>>158273664
>My mass is 72.5 kg (160 pounds), which by E=mc^2 means I have 6.515975045.8419 x10^18 joules of energy

How about you stop with those drugs? If 100g pork belly has ~518 calories, how much does a 73kg pig have?
>>
File: GohanCarringBooks.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
GohanCarringBooks.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>158273840
Maybe you should read the whole post, anon
>>
File: C6gm8UNXMAEc2mx.jpg (93KB, 600x645px) Image search: [Google]
C6gm8UNXMAEc2mx.jpg
93KB, 600x645px
>>158273664
>>
>>158273664
well i have 58kg
>>
>>158273664
Actually, E = sqrt (m^2c^4 + p^2c^2)
>>
Just passing by

>>158273840
Is that in food calories? They are not the same as thermochemical calories and defeintely quite different from joules.

>>158275002
p is impulse, it's irrelevant unless we're talking about particles or something moving near the speed of light
>>
>>158273664
I like Bananas!
>>
>>158275314
He thought, so there must have been neurotransmitters travelling and electric field propagating and those certainly had p. It's actually just E= pc for the field propagation, too.
>>
>>158275923
That would have a neglectable effect on the numbers
>>
>>158276095
Except in this case that accounted for all the energy he consumed.
>>
File: 06a.png (320KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
06a.png
320KB, 600x407px
>this thread
>>
>>158276248
Okay, show me your calculations
>>
>>158276095
Now that i think about it, we already know the ammount of energy that all the particles would bear in Senku's brain: that's the amount of energy OP calculated as the required by him to think. Again, we don't have to care about the impulse here.
>>
File: i dont get it.png (20KB, 212x172px) Image search: [Google]
i dont get it.png
20KB, 212x172px
>>158276398
You and me
>>
So, is the "science" of this manga all baloney? It's pretty shit 14 chapters in regardless.
>>
>>158274522
Why does this faggot always make faces like he's cumming when he talks about science? Is it fujobait for "nerd" girls?
>>
>>158276869
Because his boner for science is so massive that might very well be what is happening.
>>
>>158276915
It's every scientist's fetish to penetrate and ravage fantasy with science
>>
>>158275314
p is your instantaneous 3-momentum. Impulse is the time-integral of force, which is a somewhat nebulous concept in relativistic theory because "force" isn't a independent quantity, but instead a component of the force-power 4-vector, and furthermore integrating with respect to "time" is also an ill-defined concept when dealing with path integrals throughout spacetime, and also said integral wouldn't just be "force dt" it would be a line integral involving the whole 4-vector and thus not be representing Impulse as it's understood classically.
>>
>>158278180
Ok
>>
>>158275002
>p is impulse
fucking american education I swear
>>
>>158274945
just stick it in here
http://www.endmemo.com/physics/einsteinlaw.php

>>158275314
this guy gets it

>>158275331
me too

>>158275923
I'm sure he included those in his 2 trillion estimate, 400 per day for brain function would be too high otherwise anyways.

>>158276675
Nope, it all checks out so far. Except his explanation for how to make wine at home would turn out really shitty because foreign bacteria would also be fermenting in there.
>>
>>158276869
Senku has lots of fujobait panels if you look for them. I'm not sure he's particularly attractive though.
>>
File: 300.jpg (43KB, 378x283px) Image search: [Google]
300.jpg
43KB, 378x283px
>>158276398
>>158276670
Same, my brothers of low brain skills.
>>
>>158278357
>it all checks out so far
Even if I don't like it much, that's pretty cool.
>>
>>158278498
>I'm not sure he's particularly attractive though.
He's not.
>>
File: some kind of reaction.png (344KB, 340x523px) Image search: [Google]
some kind of reaction.png
344KB, 340x523px
>>158278180
I understood every word of that paragraph. What do I win?
>>
>>158279110
An undergrad degree in physics from /a/SU
>>
ITT: manlets and "intellectuals"
>>
Turning mass into energy requires annihilating it with anti-matter and doing that is pretty bad for anyone nearby, you know explosions and that sort.
To get a fusion reaction going requires temperatures of millions of degrees so thats probably bad for you as well.

Itd be more sensible if the energy came from radioactive decay
>>
>>158279958
>Turning mass into energy requires annihilating it with anti-matter
No, a wide variety of quantum processes, including nuclear fusion/fission, can cause this to happen
>>
>>158280250
I meant if you wanted closer to 100% of the mass to turn into energy.
Thats the problem with nuclear plants is that theres unusable waste left behind. It'd be sweet if you could use 100% of it.
>>
>>158280346
I believe you are confusing potential and kinetic energy with "pure energy". Pure energy does not exist. Nuclear power plants work by boiling water using heat from nuclear reactions; the steam from the water carries kinetic energy through the plant for it to become potential energy, which can then become electrical energy.

Annihilating something with antimatter produces gamma radiation, a form of electromagnetic energy (light). These rays can potentially make particles heavier by adding energy to their system. It's only when you get down to the smallest possible particles that mass becomes mostly interchangeable with energy.
>>
>>158280346
>he hasn't heard of recycled fuel nuke plants
>>
File: I didn't understand any of that.png (193KB, 268x530px) Image search: [Google]
I didn't understand any of that.png
193KB, 268x530px
>>158276398
Oh boy
>>
>>158280346
you don't need 100%, you just need 0.00000002kg

>>158276398
>>158278608
>>158281960
don't worry chums, 60% of it is wanking and 40% of it is wrong
>>
>>158276398
E = MC^2 = You smart.
>>
>>158283859
Except that isn't EVEN ITS FINAL FORM

We went over this a few posts up, which is where I think the number crunching stopped and the confusion began.
>>
>>158280346
>Thats the problem with nuclear plants is that theres unusable waste left behind.

Not anymore, most nuclear plants recycle the waste in order to generate more energy.
>>
>>158276869
Boichi has a hard-on for science the same way Miyazaki has it for nature.
>>
>>158276398
My negro. As a side note, this manga is great.
>>
>>158284251
What's so hard about that?
>>
>>158284336
Not entirely true. We're getting more efficient at using materials to initiate the reactions, but as we put out more power, the waste still piles up. The silver lining is that we now have a pathway to a shorter half-life of our waste. So, yeah, you can't use it, but it's also completely harmless and is better for the environment than fossil fuels.

We need fusion plants anyway; and all we've got is fission. Fusion only needs tiny amounts of radioactive material and produces almost no waste. It would get the brainlets off our backs about "muh bad radiation" at least.
>>
>>158284488
Energy production doesnt seem to be that big of an issue for how little money is spent on developing fusion reactors.
>>
>>158284488
>we need fusion plants
yeah, good luck with that
>>
>>158284456
Most people have trouble coming to terms (haha get it TERMS like in math) with the idea that you need to factor in momentum while dealing with particles that are supposedly massless.

Also having all those variables under a sqrt sign points to a real fucker of a problem.
>>
>>158284554
We were saying the same about fission reactors too. We never *need* more energy production, but it is directly tied to the health of the economy and quality of life for most people. But the real reason we don't have them is because...

>>158284556
Yeah, so there's a bit of evidence it's impossible. But the discovery of a sustainable fusion reaction would be such a massive breakthrough - it would be like discovering nuclear energy all over again. I think it's worth more money and research.
>>
>>158284488
There are reactor types that can consume the fuel completely.

Side-effect: No material for nuclear bombs gets produced.
>>
>>158284599
Well, the most accurate way to phrase mass-energy equivalence isn't the highlighted equation in your pic, it's actually:

(mc)^2 = (E/c)^2 - (p)^2

In relativistic units, an object's energy (E_r) is usually expressed as (E/c), the ratio of it's energy to the speed of light, and mass (m_r) is expressed as (mc), the object's mass times the speed of light. Taking these quantities (E_r) and (m_r), we re-express the equation as:

(m_r)^2 = (E_r)^2 - (p)^2

The main benefit to doing this is that now relativistic mass, energy, and momentum all have the same units of [mass*length]/[time] -- which means that they all are descriptions of the same fundamental idea.

And what is that idea? The idea that an object's mass is invariant under change of reference frame. 1000 particles = 1000 particles = 1000 particles, no matter who is looking at those particles, or how fast they're going. Thus, the mass of an object is ALWAYS the same -- even if that mass is 0.

Though an object's mass is always the same, it's energy and momentum are not. Both quantities are relative to the speed of the observer who is looking at them. BUT, regardless of the observer, momentum and energy are ALWAYS conserved, even though the numbers change according to the rules of relativity.

The conservation of mass-energy is the result of "cranking the handle" on momentum/energy conservation laws under the restriction that mass is ALWAYS invariant. Thus, the object's mass is on the left-hand side of the equation, IT IS FIXED, though it can be zero (a photon). The subsequent relationship between the object's energy and momentum is determined by the RHS of the equation, and thus by the nature of the entity observing the particle in question.

TLDR it's literally just relativistic invariance of + conservation of energy/momentum combined together
>>
>>158284251
That is just more smarts.
>>
>>158278357
For the most part, fermenting your own wine checks out as well. They were able to make it just fine thousands of years ago.
>>
>>158284599
>>158285152

Also, even classically, there are indicators that photons have non-zero momentum because of their ability to impart kinetic energy to objects with mass. This was proven with the verification of the photoelectric effect, in which incident photons were changing the kinetic energy of electrons in a metal plate, causing them to become loose and thus generate current.

Because the mass-full object's kinetic energy changed, it's momentum changed. Momentum is ALWAYS conserved under ALL circumstances. Assuming an "isolated" system, the only change in the object's momentum would have had to have come from the photon. That is,

p_(final) - p_(initial) = p_(photon)

So even though the photon does not have mass, it has momentum. Which is VERY strange, considering that the classical definition of momentum requires mass to have a nonzero value. Einstein's mass-energy equivalence is what solved this paradox.
>>
>>158278357
>foreign bacteria would also be fermenting
I made really shitty low-alcohol wine and I assumed this was impossible. I thought you could only have one possible form of bacteria at a time - the one that both eats sugar and shits alcohol at the same time. When you run out of sugar the bacteria dies and the alcohol keeps it mostly sterile. The "wine" looked a little gross after a while but that wasn't foreign bacteria, right? I assumed it was mostly soggy yeast.

>>158285152
>>158285603
Dang. Uhh, I don't think I'm smart enough to reply to these properly but thanks for the info! I understand the photon momentum thing at least, so it's not all lost on me.
>>
>>158286045
I think they're saying that it's weird as shit that something that's a bit neither here nor there can affect something with a bit more, mass. Ironically, said thing that's neither here nor there can change it which path if you were to observe its movement through a double slit even if one photon at a time was fired. Unwatched the photon creates an interferrence pattern which is all but impossible if it's fired one photon at a time through one of the slits. But if you were to put a reader just before the slit, it would no longer create an interference pattern and will instead
pile in one location. Yeah.

>>158285603
>>158285152
explain the double slit quantum eraser.
>>
>>158286045
Even more basically, ask yourself this question: How can an object with no momentum have ANY energy to start with?

Kinetic energy: KE ~ p^2 (is proportional to)

If photons have nonzero KE, they MUST have nonzero momentum, as paradoxical as it sounds. The resolution of this seeming-paradox came from Einstein.
>>
>>158286227
>explain the double slit quantum eraser.

>quantum entanglement fuckery
how
>>
>>158286323
Huh. I never even thought of photons as having KE at all. I mostly thought in terms of the "wave packet" where it just kinda travels for no reason until it hits something and transfers some energy. I inferred that the light in the wave packet could be massless, so it could travel disregarding its energy.

Until now I only saw photons as potential energy in the form of EM radiation with no kinetic component at all. Thanks for enlightening me.
>>
>>158286737
The photoelectric effect is what proved that photons have KE.
>>
>>158286669
I mean explain it, in layman's terms.
>>
>>158286669
>>158286227
From the wiki:

>The total pattern of signal photons at the primary detector never shows interference (see Fig. 5), so it is not possible to deduce what will happen to the idler photons by observing the signal photons alone. The delayed choice quantum eraser does not communicate information in a retro-causal manner because it takes another signal, one which must arrive via a process that can go no faster than the speed of light, to sort the superimposed data in the signal photons into four streams that reflect the states of the idler photons at their four distinct detection screens.[note 2][note 3]

Basically, at the start you have a photon, coming off a double-slit. This photon had a 50% chance of emerging from either slit. The goal is to guess which.

The photon is then split into 2 quantumly entangled photons.

The first of these photons (the "signal" photon) is detected immediately, at Detector Z. The second (the "idler" photon) gets routed through a maze of mirrors and another set of beam-splitters.

he end result of doing this is that the Idler Photon can be detected at any one of 4 detectors (A, B, C, and D), of which only 2 tell you from which slit the original, non-entangled photon came from. A tells you that it came from Slit 1, B tells you that it came from Slit 2, and both C and D tell you nothing, only that the photon existed.

Crucially, the path of the Idler Photon is longer than the path of the Signal Photon, which means that the Idler gets detected 8 ns later than the Signal.

Classic double - slit experiments show that detecting the photon coming off the double-slit experiment results in an interference pattern.

With the Quantum Eraser, you match up "paired" detections at Z and A, B, C, or D by offsetting the latter by 8ns. Doing this mimics the effect of detecting one whole, original, pre-entangled photon like you would during a normal double-slit exp., by matching up the time-delayed detections of it's "children."
>>
>>158287270
>>158286916
The significant result is that the presence of interference patterns is contingent upon whether or not the Idler was detected at A or B.

This is fucking weird as SHIT. The detection at A, B, C, or D happens 8 ns later than the detection at Z. Which means that after the Signal photon was detected at Z, it only "decides" which slit it came from until it's corresponding Idler gets detected 8 ns into it's own future.

Even weirder, if the Idler was detected at C or D, the result is inconclusive. Which means that the Signal photon was retroactively forced to "forget" which slit it emerged from.

Both of these things are obvious violations of causality -- actions in the future cannot influence actions in the present, and equivalently, actions in the present cannot change the past.

This weirded out physicists for a while. The answer to the paradox is in the greentext: If one were to superimpose the spectra of A, B, C, and D to make one "grand unified" total spectrum of everything that Z ever saw, there is no interference. Thus, we can regard the original detection at Z as a kind of superimposition of all possible results at A, B, C, and D, and that detections at these 4 others at a later point in time allows us to sort the superimposition accordingly. Time paradox solved.
>>
>>158287270
>>158287500
I'm gonna get a cup of joe and sit down and ponder this until i understand what's going on.
>>
>>158287690
The key here is the superposition - as in, a superposition of sin/light waves.

Superposition occurs when you send out more than one wave at a time. Throw a rock into a pond and you get a wave; stomp on part of the incoming wave, and you create a second wave that "cancels" a portion of the first wave. This works both ways; you could just as easily kick the water in the opposite direction and add (or superimpose) the waves to each other, making one stronger wave. Electrons act as waves in this case, so superposition becomes something to consider in the experiment.

I still don't know how to explain it in layman's terms, but I'm fairly sure what I just wrote is essential to the explanation.
>>
>>158288409
Photons* - not electrons
>>
File: what the actual fuck.jpg (17KB, 210x156px) Image search: [Google]
what the actual fuck.jpg
17KB, 210x156px
>this thread
and then I was like YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>>158276398
Same.
>>
What the fuck is going on in this thread?
>>
I need to read a book.
>>
>>158288731
Someone mentioned numbers, those numbers turned into symbols, and those symbols turned into an incomprehensible mess of quantum and relativistic physics.

Basically, autism happened.
>>
>>158288905
It's the autism that powers modern technology
>>
Okay smart guys: Is there anyway possible to explain to a dumbass the concept of things literally popping in and out of existence at the very smallest quantum scales?
>>
>>158284698
Money and research into fusion is a nice pipe dream, but that isn't what gets funded nowadays.
>>
>>158289119
In Quantum Mechanics, particles are allowed to spontaneously split into a semi-random combination of other particles for a brief amount of time, before recombining back to form the original particle. The reason why this happens is very, very long and complicated, but at it's core it relates back to the Uncertainty Principle -- it's impossible to precisely know the (full) quantum state of an object at any given time. That just so happens to also include the precise state of what the object IS, not just how fast it's going or where it is.

The duration of time that the particle spends as a split-up collection of other particles is unknown, as is how often it splits during it's pathway to wherever. Because it's so hard to quantify the presence of these split-off child particles, they're called "virtual particles" because it's almost like they're not there at all (they are, but not in any way that you'd be able to consistently measure).

These are the particles that I assume you mean are "popping in and out of existence."
>>
>>158289119
>>158289444
There's another way you can pop things into existence. Pull apart some bound quarks and you get... more quarks? WTF??
>>
>>158290195
mass-energy equivalence
>>
>>158290283
Haha, I know. It's just a funny thing that confuses people.
>>
>>158273664
I didn't know the brain can use the mass contributed from bones as energy.
>>
>>158273664
>My mass is 72.5 kg (160 pounds)
Senkuu is probably not 72 kilos. But this manga is pretty inconsistent with his body anyway, since he's as strong as a twig but apparently has some decent muscle mass.
>>
>>158288409
>>158288480
damn this is deep. I'll keep at it. Damn.
>>
>>158287690
>>158292090
And don't forget chums, when two photons are entangled and in superposition, if you observe ones spin, the photon it was entangled with will always be opposite spin when observed, even if it's 1000 miles away in china. Instant teleportation of information.

oh, and dark matter isn't matter, it's force. You can feel gravity even if you can't see a planet, it's the same for "dark matter". It's really just "dark force"
>>
File: akko retard.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
akko retard.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>158276398
I can read multiple books in the span of an afternoon and evening, I can write until my hand can no longer function, I know how to wheel and deal, and I have a knack for history.

But for the life of me, I cannot into math and science.
>>
>>158276869
>fujobait
It's not fujobait at all, check your buzzwords.
>>
Everyone in this thread is so retarded.

>My mass is 72.5 kg (160 pounds)

Mass and weight are two different things. Your weight is 72.5 kg but your mass is 72.5/9.8=7.39
or approximately equal to 7.4 kg so all of your calculations thus far are moot.
>>
@158295087
(you)
>>
>>158284771
Oh, so that's why nobody do that.
>>
>>158285603
>So even though the photon does not have mass,

A photon has energy, and energy is equivalent to mass. A photon cannot be "weightless". It's just immeasurably light.
>>
File: 1465780524377.png (196KB, 398x384px) Image search: [Google]
1465780524377.png
196KB, 398x384px
>>158280346
>use 100%
>heat doesnt exist
anon, I...
>>
>>158289119
>s there anyway possible to explain to a dumbass the concept of things literally popping in and out of existence at the very smallest quantum scales?
I'm no expert but as far as I know the """modern""" accepted model for this is Quantum Field Theory, where fundamental particles are quantized excitation of their corresponding quantum fields that permeat the whole universe.
>>
>>158296987
No, it has 0 mass. It does not interact with with the Higgs field to any statistically significant degree. If one were to perform a nuclear reaction to "trap" the energy of a photon to produce a particle with mass, that would be one thing, but as it stands the photon is massless. Not infinitesimally light. Literally massless.
>>
>>158284408
Yeah, basically all his works have been about sci-fi, except the ones who exist in the Sun-Ken Rock universe.
>>
>>158273664
Nah, that retarded. Even if the numbers are right, and you could obtain energy from that stone-like material that would be impossible, anyway, because the human skin is not permeable enough you could have died of old age in no more than one century. Hell, more like in 5 years, because there is no way a human body could survive without excreting all the toxins the body need to release.
>>
>>158296987
No it doesn't have mass, or to be exact rest mass, because there is no frame where a photon is at rest (this is just a rephrase of special relativity's postulation that c is constant in every frame).
What it does have, and make it have momentum and be affected by gravity is its non-zero mass-energy tensor. In fact in general it's not mass but this tensor that bends space time.

That being said though, most of the everyday matter's "mass" (read: mass-energy tensor) come from the strong interaction's energy, not interaction with the Higgs field.
>>
>>158301057
But what if one were to consider the comoving frame of the photon, ie the frame of an observer "riding" the photon? In such a frame the relative velocity between the photon and the observer would be 0, since all particles are at rest from their own proper frame.

Also your post implies that it's impossible to construct a proper time for a traveling photon, which seems wrong.
>>
>>158301167
A frame attached to a photon would contradict the constant c postulation thus everything relativity would stop making sense. And yeah, time of a photon is always, well, at rest. In other words, if you have a photon originated really really close to the Big Bang, and miraculously still travelling without interacting with anything else since, and if we don't consider the paradoxical nature of "photon's frame of reference", then the photon still see the whole universe as a tiny, dense and hot place (remember space contraction? yeah except it wouldn't actually apply in the case of v=c, but as I said above we're pretending it does).
For photon, time is at rest while space isn't.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.