[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the best anti self-insert? Is that why people don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 1471353943067.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471353943067.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Is he the best anti self-insert? Is that why people don't like him? Because he rubs people the wrong way by reminding them of themselves and not the perfect, idealized gary stu versions they like to imagine.
>>
I hate him because he's a retard who can't listen and who lets his middleschool-esque crush rule his life.
>>
No, it's because he's an obnoxious piece of shit that never grows.
>>
>>157601026
I think most of it is just that hes a fucking retard and some just hate him because he didn't pick their waifu.

I didn't really hate him but I really didn't like him either, I normally love flawed characters but like >>157601190 said he was obnoxious as hell.
>>
>>157601026
What do you mean anti self insert? He's just as much of a self insert character as Kirito, just in a round about way.
>>
the main reason why people hate Subaru was because he picked emilia over rem
>>
>>157601143
the reason he likes her so much is because you have to realize that he spend ages dying over and over again and he gets attached over this time to a person who, no matter what sort of circumstance he seems to find himself in, helps him out even though doing so is less of a kind-hearted life-saving act and more of a forgettable encounter for her

he's forming attachments to the person he thinks she is and you also have to remember he makes friends with people like rem+ram, changed they way they thought about him and then had that progress reset many times over. each time he tries to modify something or replicate it to recreate the last timeline and he often ends up with different people than the ones he thought he knew.
>>
File: 149876454.png (149KB, 979x1308px) Image search: [Google]
149876454.png
149KB, 979x1308px
>>157601238
I don't get it
>>
>>157601026
I disliked him because he was obnoxious and would run his mouth at the worst times and act like an arrogant retard to people that are worth hundreds of him. Your average asocial /a/utist wouldn't be as bad as him. And yet other characters still revolve around him and suck his dick within a few meetings.
>>
>>157601535
>And yet other characters still revolve around him and suck his dick within a few meetings.
Not true.
>>
>>157601535
>And yet other characters still revolve around him and suck his dick within a few meetings.

Not trying to defend him but really the only character to suck his dick was rem.
>>
>>157601026
Emilia A Best she is so underrated
Rem so fucking overrated shit as fuck
>>
maybe if you're an edgy melodramatic teenage piece of shit
>>
>>157601026
Even in this thread you get people like >>157601143 >>157601535 >>157601190 who hate him, because he isn't the ideal isekai protagonist they wanted him to be. They hate character not because he is badly written but because they can't self-insert, they had their expectations betrayed and they feel bad with it.
>>
File: 1492678915424.png (29KB, 176x300px) Image search: [Google]
1492678915424.png
29KB, 176x300px
>>157601026
Subaru reminds me of myself in some ways, I sometimes say shit that is absolutely retarded and then end up regretting afterwards. I know media is all about escapism and shit but I think that characters that remind us of ourselves in less-than-positive ways are important because they cause self-reflection and make you think/get your neurons fired up/marinate your mozzarella/etc.
>>
>>157601026
Short answer yes, long answer he isn't written perfectly and some people really get grated by that too.
>>
>>157601026
I don't really understand the concept of self inserts and living vicariously through a bunch of generic looking cookie cutter chinks. Can someone explain this shit to me? Especially when it comes to harem shit and shipping, why would you want to have some baby dick fuckboy plowing your waifu?
>>
If Nissan is supposed to represent humanity, we're all doomed.
>>
>>157604011
Are you asking specifically about self-insert MC faggots in their entirety, or just this kind of them specifically?
>>
>>157604356
Just all of them in general.
>>
>i love emilia
>>
>>157604405
I like to pretend I'm the MC in role-playing games but characters in every other medium shouldbe written as unique beings.
>>
>>157604011
self insert MCs are basically just there for escapism, but I also wouldn't call Subaru a self insert. Self inserts tend to be a lot blander and passive, just letting shit happen around them or going with the flow, like a video game silent protagonist.

Subaru has his own personality and starts actively pursuing goals by like the half way point of the first episode. He does have a lot of traits that the target audience might empathize with like self loathing and hikki despair, but that's important for creating some sort of emotional engagement with the viewer so the payoffs are entertaining.

As for the waifu shipping, some people just want to see their favorite character get a happy ending. A good way to do that is to give them romantic fulfillment. I've only ever cared about a couple of those and neither were with blank slate MCs though so I dunno what people are thinking for harems.
>>
>>157604405
Couldn't tell you then with certainty but I do have some theories. Speaking from prior experience of observing roleplayers in that they tend to pick anime and game characters they like or find "cool" so they pretend to be them online in hopes they'll leech their "cool" or some shit like that I guess, sometimes adopting that character as a username for their online identity in a community. Picking an overrated character like Dio Brando to role play as and doing a half decent job presenting them would net you a lot of 'respect' for example.

This mindset makes a bit more sense when it's "Generic" Protagonists when they don't have much of a presence, they'll fill that in with their own headcanon, but some people will self-insert through pretty much anything and everything.
This is actually where a lot of crack pairing art comes from, the artist will imagine they're that character and use a flimsy excuse to ship both characters together when it's actually self gratifying masturbation, usually it's disguised as something like if two characters have a similar color scheme or an attack or some dumb shit like that. This is more obvious when a lot of people are circlejerking it, through secret commissions and the like among friends.

From personal experience I don't find anime characters "self-insertable." More understandable through video games where you can at least rename the protagonist and make dialogue choices. This is much higher tier when the avatars customizeable at the least so it's more of "your own", but some people will just make characters from other series and use them there too, so go figure.
>>
>>157604727
>Picking an overrated character like Dio Brando to role play as and doing a half decent job presenting them would net you a lot of 'respect' for example.

Fuck if that doesn't bring me back. It's also completely true.
>>
I hate him because he made so many episodes painfully boring. Interesting setting wasted.
>>
>people hate him because he reminds them of themselves.
citation needed

>he's not a self-insert, therefore he's a good character
shit argument, watch better anime

>rezero isn't escapism
topkek
>>
>>157604478
Well that's normal, they're called roleplaying games for a reason. If you approach them the same way you would approach a railroaded game with a silent protagonist, you're missing out on part their charm. I hated Fable 2 not for the plot holes but for disguising itself as a roleplaying game while not allowing me to react to the world, like how you're forced to keep Reaver alive despite having enough reasons to just murder him on the spot at multiple times in the game.
>>
File: nose.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nose.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>157601026
>>
Just because a character is intentionally written to be an obnoxious piece of shit doesn't excuse him from being an obnoxious piece of shit.
>>
>>157605217
Who are you quoting? The first one is OP, right? Whose are the next ones?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.