[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about Makoto Shinkai's movies? Especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 9252064159_215c498050_o.jpg (948KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
9252064159_215c498050_o.jpg
948KB, 1920x1280px
How do you feel about Makoto Shinkai's movies? Especially those other than Kimi no Na wa?

5cm/s > Garden of Words > Children who chase lost voices > Kimi no na wa > Place that was promised > hoshi no koe
>>
>>156922490
They were a lot more introverted. Kimi no Na wa was him giving up and catering to the normie audience.
>>
File: Voices_of_a_distant_star.jpg (30KB, 672x432px) Image search: [Google]
Voices_of_a_distant_star.jpg
30KB, 672x432px
It's all the same damn movie.
Introvert boy and dreamy childhood friend can't be together because reasons.
>>
I watched kimi no na wa 3 times already in a short period of time and it was an enjoyable experience every time through.
I've also watched 5cm 3-4 times, but it was always with a year or two in between every time, and always feels like a wake up slap from reality every time. I wouldn't even compare the two since I like both for completely different reasons.
As for the rest of his works, I've never watched them more than once. I feel like none of them left as much of an impact as those two but if I had to rate them, place promised>lost voices>garden of words>distant star.
I honestly don't remember them too clearly though, besides garden of words, which I really didn't think was all that good.
>>
>>156922490
Shinkai was probably NTRed while growing up. They're all the same movie except with a less shit ending each time.
>>
I liked Garden of Words and Kimi wa, 5cm was fucking horrible, teh only good thing to come of it was wallpapers
>>
>>156923121
Indeed, he really uses the we love each other but can't be together shit a lot. Kimi was a nice change of pace
>>
>>156923103
Only thing I didn't like about Garden was it was only 45 minutes
>>
>>156922490
5cm/s > Kimi no na wa > Children who chase lost voices > Garden of Words > Place that was promised > hoshi no koe
>>
I like them but they lack characterisation and are pretty minimal on plot
>>156923048
same themes run throughout all his movies even kimi no na wa
"romance over distance" whether that be literal or metaphorical, the only exeption is hoshi wo ou kodomo which really put him out of his comfort zone
>>
>>156922490
Watched all those movies and the only one I liked is Garden of Words.
>>
>>156922490
i disagree
>>
>>156922490
Kimi no na wa >>> 5cm/s > Kotonoha > Hoshi no Koe > Kumo no Muko >>> Kodomo

Plot, characters, and themes aside, as a director Shinkai's major weakness has always been two things. His lack of skill as an animator, and his tendency to over-embellish. Shinkai is a fantastic cinematographer, background artist, and editor - but his actual animation skills are pathetic. His characters feel out of place and have these vapid, empty looks on their face when he does the AD. Grabbing talented AD's like Ando, Tsuchiya and Tanaka was a great decision for Kimi no na wa. The characters actually emote with expressions and shit.

The second issue is his heavy lighting effects. It's sort of his signature, but a problem that naturally presents itself is that such atmospheric lighting melds the foreground and background together, making it harder to distinguish character silhouettes, and making the scene visually overstimulating. 5cm was really bad with this. He's gotten better at it though, in Kotonoha there were pretty distinct palettes to compensate, and in KNNW the animation takes a Hosoda touch, going for much simpler shading.

>>156922814
>catering
No, Hoshi wo ou was catering. Kimi no na wa was a 5 year passion project, and kind of demonstrate this shift in perspective he underwent. Though you can see bits of that in Kotonoha too.

But yeah, if you're going to hate on anything, hate on Kodomo. That shit was just an uninspired Laputa knockoff.

>>156923048
>>156923428
Sort of, but he's gradually changing. Ever since 2011 his movies have been shifting in tone, and Kimi no na wa is just a straight rejection of the 5cm philosophy.
>>
>>156925370
>Ever since 2011 his movies have been shifting in tone
yes, less introspective and more mature storytelling in general
>>
>>156925490
I wouldn't say it's more mature storytelling, but there's a tonal shift and move away from feelings of futility and determinism. Granted, not all of these experiments are good, Kodomo was ass and Kotonoha was a mediocre foot fetish film, but KNNW turned out really well, though I guess he was working on that the entire time anyways.

The problem now is that he's under huge pressure to make a new movie by 2020 for the Olympics, and I don't know, given only 2 years, if he can make something decent.

Well, it can't be any worse than Hosoda, who just became a fucking furry.
>>
>>156922490
It's been too long since I watched 5cm/s so it's quite possibly I would like it less now, but for now I actually more or less agree with your ranking.
>>
He's extremely repetitive. 5cm/s is his highest point, he said everything he wanted with it, everything after was just a profanation of the same idea. He will never reach the level of, say, Kon or Yuasa in my book.
>>
>>156926916
>Kon
>Yuasa
>not repetitive

Tokyo Godfathers was dumb, Paprika and Paranoia agent were the same thing, and everything he does is an extrapolation of Perfect Blue.

Yuasa has literally been making Shin-Chan for everything he's worked on. You can't bitch at Shinkai for being repetitive, while those two are also plenty unoriginal.

And if you think that, say, Kimi no na wa and 5cm/s have anything in common aside from some superficial visual similarities, you're an idiot that failed 8th grade English.
>>
>>156922490
It's pushing boundaries and breaking the wall between mainstream and otaku. About damn time I say and I hope he decimates the inbred tastes of otaku scum.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.