[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else sometimes prefer DVD rips to BDs? I feel like,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Does anyone else sometimes prefer DVD rips to BDs? I feel like, while the resolution is obviously superior for BD releases, sometimes the sharpness, grain, and production flaws that show up in higher-resolution scans are just kind of turn-offs. Not to mention that for older shows people were watching them on CRTs with shitty resolution, and productions were done with that in mind.
>>
>>156887713
I disagree. I like the moving painting look of cel animation a lot, flaws and all.
>>
>>156887713
>Does anyone else sometimes prefer DVD rips to BDs?
Only when BDs are SD upscales.

> sometimes the sharpness, grain, and production flaws that show up in higher-resolution scans are just kind of turn-offs.
Quite the opposite, all these little imperfections seen in high-res transfer of cel animation just give me an eyegasm.
>>
>>156887713
Who is this character?
>>
>>156889297
Lauren from Turn V Gundam
>>
>>156889297
A very cute girl.
>>
>>156889297
A cutiepatootie
>>
>>156889806
You're not fooling anyone Guin.
>>
Official releases are always a crapshoot, the issues you speak of are entirely due to improper upscaling and awful encoding. Are there fucking amazing BDs? Yes, there are. Are there fucking AWFUL BDs? You bet your ass there are.

For this reason I generally wait for a series I want to archive in the best possible quality, especially (primarily) old ones, to get both the official BD release AND a re-encode to fix the deficiencies in the encoding.
>>
Also

>Not to mention that for older shows people were watching them on CRTs with shitty resolution, and productions were done with that in mind.

This is completely wrong. Shows were NOT produced with the awful resolution and sharpness of TV broadcast and VHS. A cursory glance at proper high-fidelity releases of 90's shows completely eliminates this idea from the realm of fact. Just look at G-Gundam and GaoGaiGar. Mind-blowing levels of detail.
>>
>>156887713
Turn A looks amazing in BD, but so does nearly every pre-2000 anime. Production flaws aren't that bad in a higher quality though they are for sure more noticeable.
>>
>>156887713
Nope never
>>
>>156887713
No, but I've noticed that DVDs are a 20 year old medium now and there can be some nostalgia attached to them. They have a certain look.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.