[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

K-On was universally acclaimed in Japan but is very polarizing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 31

File: 1491255558966.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1491255558966.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
K-On was universally acclaimed in Japan but is very polarizing in Western anime communities. Why is this?
>>
There are anti-moe fags in Japan too, anon
>>
Shounenturds and fujowhales are a majority here
>>
Western "fans" don't actually like anime
>>
What's the problem? It's not like any opinion other than the nips matters
>>
>K-On was universally acclaimed in Japan

How do you know this?
>>
>>156426604
Because I'm Nipponese, why else baka?
>>
Because some westerners have erroneous perceptions of anime, but prefer to remain narrow-minded.
>>
>>156426288
Japan has a shit taste
>>
Westerners are very close minded.
>>
>>156427031

Elaborate.
>>
K-on was hardly controversial on /a/. We had the standard pro-anti-moeshit arguments you see every season.

Lucky Star on the other hand, nearly tore /a/ apart.
>>
>>156426288
Infinite Stratos S2 was also universally acclaimed in Japan.
>>
>>156427046
this is the right answer
>>
>>156427690

I mean outside of /a/.

>>156427046

They do, but better than burger taste.
>>
>>156426288
Marketing. When K-On was airing in Japan K-On shit was plastered everywhere. Every convenience store had K-On posters, figurines going, couldn't even buy a can of iced coffee without getting some sort of K-On figure.
Half of all the commercials and promotions for other shit had K-On slapped onto em for more sales too.
>>
>>156426288
And it doesn't have an S3.

Time to watch it's successor Bang Dream.
>>
>>156426288
K-On was on the freaking disney channel. It had a large fanbase of women and teenagers. It was socially acceptable and "cool" to like K-On in Japan.

In the States, K-On is still for crazy otaku.
>>
File: 1379019899758.png (166KB, 400x400px)
1379019899758.png
166KB, 400x400px
The west has no appreciation of anime other than shonen stuff and magical girls if it has enough action.

But K-On doesn't work for insecure westerners or people who don't appreciate comedy and character development, and western women mostly care about melodrama and gay stuff. They have 0 appreciation of any other form of anime.
>>
>>156426288
you're acting like this shit is the Japanese Alice in Wonderland. Come back in 100 years see if people still remember K-On even existed.
>>
>>156428745

Kill yourself
>>
>>156429191
These threads keep happening and it's obvious some people won't move on.

I am merely helping you move onto Bang Dream which is the first all girls Band Anime we've had in a while.

Even has the exact same protag.
>>
>>156429244

The reasons why K-On was good had nothing to do with it being a music anime. You're thinking far too superficially. Bang Dream was mediocre.
>>
>>156426288
Because it's shit. Also Japan has shit taste.
>>
A long essay could be written on the topic, but the tl;dr is that Westerners are fucking idiots and if you went to a large anime convention and removed all the fake fans you would be left with so few people that you could move the convention to a conference room.

And aside from all the rage that K-On would naturally produce in Westerners, it has generated a huge amount of memetic hysteria over the years. Most people have not seen it, and many don't even know what it's about and what it's like, but they still hate it. Because of all the memes (which make up almost all of the "information" Westerners have about anime).

>>156427046
>>156429333
This is a meme invented by people who don't like anime.
>>
>>156426288
They got the Disney audience in Japan, which is fucking huge.
>>
>>156426330
I'm into either, but K-On bored me. There was no particular fanservice, no sex scene, nor sexual innuendo at all. I just didn't find anything about it interesting.
>>
>>156429283
Bang Dream is alive but K-On is not.

Watch Bang Dream.
>>
>>156430872

>bang dream is alive

Yeah I don't need another LL 2.0. A failed one at that.
>>
>>156430872
I'd rather fuck a pretty corpse than a disgusting alive person to be honest.
>>
>>156430895
There are plenty of LL 2.0 but Bang Dream is something entirely new- The Second Coming of K-On with SB69 being the Furry Coming of K-On.

Fail? It has not failed.

If K-On is Jesus then Bang Dream is St Peter.
>>
>>156426288
How is it polarising? I could see people finding it boring because nothing really happens, but why would anyone hate it?
>>
>>156431009
Pretentious western anime fans and the dreaded GARfags.
>>
>>156426288
bang dream is better
>>
>>156430513
Don't project this hard onto malaysian carvings. That was the appeal. There was nothing to be had outside of just watching them interact and grow.
>>
>>156428845
>character development
Do you even know what that means?
Also everyone appreciates comedy, it's human nature, but because a person doesn't like the moe slice-of-life cake eating kind, it's suddenly because of lack of appreciation for comedy?
Fuck off
>>
>>156426330
>Shounenturds
A lot of people enjoy both. I like to watch intense action series, and K-On was one of my favorite moe series too.

>fujowhales
I've never really seen females loudly hating on K-On. The loudest haters of the show have always been male.
>>
>>156428645
It also was a big step forward for the animation studio and is widely regarded as a success for the studio overall.

K-On was cute in a not-overly Moe way for me (Like the last anime i had watched before K-on had been Lucky Star and i just had my fill of it for awhile). Yeah it's moe, but it's not retarded scenes for the sake of moe it's just, idk, normal-cute. I don't know how to explain it in a not-retarded way.

It also had a cute story, good music, a fluid animation style (Which is what drew me to it), really animated characters, and the story was fun slice of life kinda shit.

I was disappointed by the movie though (There's ZERO conflict. Shows can get away with that but movies need more to engage for that long) and i was disappointed there was never any push for them to do their music outside of school (Even Love Live had the not-in-school endgoal of Love Live, but i have my own set of problems with that show. Ugh. So fucking stupid at the end).

But it's cute, has a lot of funny moments and is a nice "feel good" anime where you can just kinda chil and watch something that'll make you smile.

I think the animation is a big part of it though, it was the first time i'd seen less-stiff animation that wasn't for an action based anime (me personally as someone who doesn't watch a ton of anime)
>>
>>156431990
>Do you even know what that means?
seems like someone hasn't watched k-on
also yes, people don't like comedy anime most of the time
suck my dick
>>
>>156431009
I never see anyone say this about Western shows, just anime. Sitcoms have less story and continuity than K-On, yet nobody ever says "nothing happens."
>>
>>156432121
>I've never really seen females loudly hating on K-On
I have, it's awful
>>
File: Kaunis_anime-neito.jpg (67KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kaunis_anime-neito.jpg
67KB, 1366x768px
Season 3 when?
>>
>>156432272
Because western sitcoms are so shit people unconsciously lower their standards
>>
>>156432263
Never mentioned anything about specifically comedy in anime, it was only comedy as a whole.
Also sure it's easy just to state I haven't watched K-on, harder to elaborate about the character development in K-on.
>>
>>156426288
The west hates "cute."
>>
>>156426288
>Universally
>In japan
You not too brilliant anon arent you
>>
>>156426288
Stop telling lies on the internet.
>>
>>156432282
K-On actually had a pretty big female audience from what I hear. Probably not fujo though, just normal girls.
>>
>>156432572
The adverb "universally" is used here to mean "acclaimed by everyone", "everyone" being all the people in Japan. Don't hate on OP just because he's a faggot.
>>
>>156432572
His usage of the word was actually legitimate. But setting aside the sheer irony in your pedantic remark, coupled with your grammatical error and lack of punctuation, let's discuss your sick motives.
>>
>>156432272
That's because I dropped all those shitty American sitcoms altogether in favor of watching anime for that very reason.
>>
i liked it
>>
K-On is a good anime. Plot, character, art, animation. Only in cultures where its stylized but accurate depiction of female viewpoints and kinds of relating and the drama thereof is mostly overlooked, is this not understood. It's a controversial show because it shouldn't be so good according to the mainstream criteria but it is and the cognitive dissonance of this drives the controversy.
>>
Only american retards are ignorant enough to doubt K-On's brilliance.
>>
>>156426333
Honestly it's this. Western fans don't enjoy anime for its unique qualities, they just want it to be the same as their TV shows and movies.
>>
>>156426288
A large contingent of western "anime fans" don't actually like anime as a medium that much and are only in it for epic badass sci-fi and action shows
>>
>>156430960
If K-On is Jesus then what is God
>>
>>156432272
Western sitcoms typically have an obnoxious laugh track to trick pea-brained Americans into thinking they're funnier and more engaging than they actually are.
>>
>>156432282
He meant real women, anon
>>
>>156434220
>and are only in it for epic badass sci-fi and action shows
This is most of Japan too.
>>
>>156426288
Normalfags have no real appreciation for anything, they operate purely on the basis of reputation among their peers. If something has a reputation of being "intellectual", "deep", then they like it, in a perhaps subconscious attempt to appear tasteful and cultured among their peers and thus bolster their own reputation and social status. If something is regarded "childish" or "dull", then they dislike it.

The normalfag is an eternal philistine.
>>
>>156426288
>K-On was universally acclaimed in Japan
So is SAO
>>
>>156436388
no, rmb that they sabotage an online voting for drawing a character specially and one of the very side character lead in advance but the company (studio) stop it and make Asuna or some shit win.
>>
At first I didn't want to watch it because I thought it was stealing Kyoani's time to make more Haruhi seasons. And until this day I have not watched it yet.
>>
>>156436587
I felt the same way. Finally decided to watch it this summer and regretted not watching it sooner
>>
>>156426288
Different cultures, different tastes.
>>
>>156435890
Marvel flicks break box office records every summer.
Normalfags demonize thematic depth because they're scared of looking pretentious.
>>
>>156432648
I've been around since it was aired, and yes, girls were really big on the show, its characters and music. There were as many female fans as male ones.

Just as you would expect, they enthused about episodes when they aired and wrote stuff that sounds like "People often complain about this show's lack of plot, but it's actually incredibly sweet/cute/endearing/fun/fulfilling".
>>
File: 1474113381045.gif (904KB, 500x532px)
1474113381045.gif
904KB, 500x532px
>>156426288
>Western anime communities
>>
Your favorite K-On songs? Mine are:

>Tenshi ni Fureta yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaQ6C9s7ec

>Pure Pure Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lNXRKh5qaw

>U&I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr6nkizA7io

>Cagayake Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184y0EB07to

>Don't say lazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-pNcgYo0c

>Utauyo! Miracle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxN19NmWwP0

>Listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwLl2bBvMU

>Watashi no Koi wa Hocchikisu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKCQfyafTY

>Fude Pen (mix version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyscaWKB2a8

>Fuwa Fuwa Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqkLjGS1IXE

The sound track had a lot of other great songs too.
>>
Once when I was like 15 I mentioned knowing what it was and my younger sister said it's a show for pedos. She was fine with Kobayashi tho
>>
>>156438565
Yup, it somehow got that reputation of being a creepy moe anime in the West. Even though it litterally does not have erotic fanservice.
>>
>>156438504
My Love is a Stapler
because of that sick riff at the beginning

also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l6WQlmJkaI
>>
>>156438504
Jajauma Way to Go and Over the Starlight because of Ayachi. Although I'll also go with >>156439063 I can't just say no to a tasty riff.
>>
>>156438504
Gohan Wa Ozaku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpRL8cLqEg

That movie version with those Rondon lines is just great.
>>
>>156426288
S1 was good and actually dedicated a decent amount of its time to music.

S2 on the other hand was utter garbage.
>>
>>156438504
Tenshi ni Fureta yo! is definitely my favorite. Second favorite would probably be Aozora no Monolgue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wFdzW7q9w

I like a bunch of other songs though, so it's hard to decide.
>>
>>156438704
Blame the fans
>>
>>156438565
>I was like 15
>my younger sister said it's a show for pedos
Precocious slut.
>>
>>156439761

>he watched K-On for the music
>>
>>156439761
Ow, the edge
>>
>>156439761
Consider time-traveling to 2010, back when that bait was still cool.
>>
>>156440496
Nah, but the songs were decently listenable teenage bubble pop (Don't say "lazy" was great even) and fit well with the series. S1 also focused a lot on building the friendship and them improving as a band while being decently paced.

Meanwhile S2 was a slog that shifted the focus further away from band activities, instead recycled most of the events we've seen in dozens of high school series already and had mostly awful new songs (including OP/ED)

>>156441927
But that's my honest opinion ;_;
>>
>>156426288
Bc America loves music!
>>
Japan has shit taste
>>
>>156442217

Season 2 had far less of the SoL cliches (no beach episodes, no fanservice for instnace) and focused on characterization as the characters slowly begin to realize that their time together is ending and how they cope with it. Digibro was right
>>
>>156442343
Digi pls go
>>
>>156434319
KyoAni?
>>
>>156434107
That sounds complete bullshit.
>>
>>156442343
I take ten beach episodes over students enacting a Shakespeare play, thank you very much.

They also ticked off the other checklist elements of having a Valentine's Day episode, field trip to Kyoto (it's almost always Kyoto), summer festival, athletics festival, cultural festival and a whole episode on career forms.
>>
>>156442981
>I take ten beach episodes over students enacting a Shakespeare play
Good to know you have no fucking taste
>>
>>156443052
This specific element is overdone as fuck (and it's always some badly acted or otherwise raped Shakespeare play).
>>
File: 13519549_p0.jpg (121KB, 626x501px)
13519549_p0.jpg
121KB, 626x501px
>>156438504
Utauyo! Miracle

Those group hug sequences make me feel things.
>>
>>156443164

You're still focusing too much on *what* they do, and not their interactions and development *while* they do it. The actual play is an afterthought to the dynamic between Mio and Ritsu. Similarly, the anime isn't and wasn't meant to be focused on the music; that's a backdrop for the gradual growth of the characters as individuals and as a group.
>>
absolutely disappointing
>elite
>"Western anime communities"
>this is the level of discussion in 2017
board is casual as fuck, up to the brim with crossboarders and seemingly perpetual newfaggotry
niggas cant even read japanese. what the FUCK am i still doing here?
>>
>>156443475
>gradual growth of the characters as individuals and as a group.
And I've remarked positively on this for S1.

S2 feels much more stagnant in this department. Which makes sense, since the relationships are all pretty much established and the show is just stretched to double the episodes to cover half the time.

Whenever I mention that S2 has worse music, you faggots always assume that's my main criticism. But it's actually the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>156442217
>mostly awful new songs (including OP/ED)
If you mean the first OP, then sure, I felt it was an obnoxious clusterfuck of dissonant noises*, and I don't think a lot of people liked it, either.

But that's pretty much the only one you can describe as "awful". Utauyo was wonderful, both ED songs were pretty good, and the song Pure Pure Heart is one of the best in the franchise.

If you'll expand that to the entire music collection too (i.e. character image songs, singles, etc.), then yes, the S1 collection overall was tiers above the S2 one. But you can still cherry-pick good songs out of the S2 collection, for example Seishun Vibration and Girls in Wonderland.

Too bad it's just 40 seconds, and I remember the rest of the medley was rather boring.
On the other hand, the same guy's first anison medley is thoroughly awesome, so ignore the previous link past the first 40 seconds, and listen to this one instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsn7VrCbdZE
>>
>>156426288
K-ON is a proof that
>Japanese prefer good story, or character they can attached to
>western audience prefer flashy things
>>
>>156443814

I saw Season 1 as establishing a great base and Season 2 as expanding heavily on it, but in a subtle way that some people find too slow. I think we'll just agree to disagree.

I can at least respect that your critique of the show is more than "DUMB MOESHIT NOTHING HAPPENS LIKE IN MY MANIME"
>>
File: 1493005211907.png (124KB, 332x418px)
1493005211907.png
124KB, 332x418px
>>156443874
I thought Go! Go! Manic was great, fuck you.

Besides, the other two opening melodies are just as dissonant. They match with Yui's husky/squeaky voice.
>>
File: K-ON!! - 17 - Large 28.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
K-ON!! - 17 - Large 28.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>156444210
Sorry sempai, my intent was not to attack other people's taste. Just saying how I personally felt about it.

>the other two opening melodies are just as dissonant.
I'm specifically talking about how it was sung with a chorus of voices that did not harmonize together. It just annoyed the hell out of me.

Cagayake was sung with a group voice too, but the voices harmonized well together. Utauyo was closer to GGM in its singing style, but for some reason it sounded much better there to me. Not entirely sure why.
>>
>>156438504
Tsubasa wo Kudasai.
>>
>>156426288
West has shit taste.
>>
>>156432272
oh they do, but I doubt you go posting on internet sitcom boards as much as you do anime boards so you of course wouldn't see it as much.
>>
>>156429827
>by people who don't like anime.
if by this you mean, people who do things other than watch anime, like read books, then yes. People who read books realize how patronizing and dumbed-down K-On is
>>
>>156445200
>sempai
>>
>>156447171
Does the f word still filter?
senpai
>>
>>156443501
>niggas cant even read japanese
じゃ、そういうお前は?
読めんのか、師匠?w

>elite
>board is casual as fuck
へー…そんな上から目線の態度じゃ
「エリート」はどっちなのかな?

>crossboarders and seemingly perpetual newfaggotry
いいえ、この掲示板の態度はネガティブすぎたんだ。
それが変わり始めたなら、いいものとしか思えん。

>what the FUCK am i still doing here?
あははは…つまりお前がここに来てた理由は
好きなものへの愛情を分かち合うためじゃなくて、
人様の好きなものに対して糞を食らうためだったのか?

お前みたいなクズこそが
ファンダムに対して侵入者なんだよ。

もうここに来なくていい。
他にあたって、本物の趣味を見つけろ、ボケ。
糞を食らうのは「趣味」と言えるものじゃねぇからな。
>>
File: 1492474235757.gif (321KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1492474235757.gif
321KB, 270x270px
>>156432368
Hopefully never. Season 2 ended just fine.
>>
>>156427046
/thread.
>>
>not wanting to have a Yui to comb her hair
>>
>>156447776
Yui's forehead is NOT cute
>>
>>156426288

Because its fucking garbage. K-ON and Lucky Star essentially started the SoL trend with 4 girls doing nothing all day with "comedy".

Most people in the West only appreciate action shows like Rurouni Kenshin and DBZ.

People don't want to waste their time with shit SoL. Its not just K-ON thats singled out.
>>
>>156447923
But they're not garbage and they didn't start it and it's not a trend
>>
>>156447848
Let me guess. Ritsu fan?

The entirety of Yui is VERY cute.

Leave Yui for me and comb Ritsu's hair instead.
>>
>>156447923

>>>/v/
>>
How can anyone not love those five angels?
>>
>>156447446
Yep, I know third season would just be a disappointment but it would still be nice to see my waifu in university. Man can always dream.
>>
File: 1492644524489.gif (104KB, 500x285px)
1492644524489.gif
104KB, 500x285px
>>156448420

MY waifu Mugi is so perfect!
>>
Who is the lewdest K-On and why is she Mio?
>>
I'm sure there was a better version, but I couldn't find it.
>>
>>
>>156447776
>>
>>156449819
>>
>>156426330
My top 5 favorite series are One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Berserk, JoJo and Ichigo Mashimaro. K-On! just isn't all that great. It's a cute series when you first see/read it, but it's nothing special. Honestly, neither is Azumanga Daioh - the anime didn't do a good job of adapting the 4koma style and was forced to rely on either overly long pauses or beating a joke to death in order to fill up time.
>>
>>156432272
Uh, when Seinfield was popular everyone was saying shit like 'omg it's a show about... nothing?? damn why do I love it so much'
>>
>I watched K-ON! It was empty. It was nothing. The jokes made no sense. It didn’t even have any eroticism, any grotesquerie. Just the mildest, faintest hint of fetishism. Are the people who made it and the people who watch it that unable to cope with reality? It just feels gross…

-Hideo Azuma
>>
>>156450759
>When I see people having fun, I immediately think about dicks
>>
Is K-ON the apex of its "genre"? Personally I think so, from what I've seen at least.
>>
>>156450170
>>
File: The Band.jpg (311KB, 2592x1552px)
The Band.jpg
311KB, 2592x1552px
>>156426288
I liked it.
>>
File: 1484662144640.png (193KB, 683x489px) Image search: [Google]
1484662144640.png
193KB, 683x489px
>>156450254
(You)

>>156451396

Pretty clearly. It just feels so warm and alive and grows on you so well.
>>
File: 1488678478329.png (140KB, 397x399px)
1488678478329.png
140KB, 397x399px
>>156449819
>>156450170
>>156451418
I really like this set.
>>
>>156452878
Glad you do.

>>156451418
(Continuing)
>>
>>156453256
>>
>>156426288
I personally don't get it myself. I liked Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba but I never could force myself to finish K-on. Just isn't my thing personally.
>>
Those smiles.
>>
K-On has great wardrobe.
>>
>>156453305
>>
File: 55431_k_on.jpg (490KB, 2349x1200px) Image search: [Google]
55431_k_on.jpg
490KB, 2349x1200px
>>156449819
>>156450170
>>156451418
>>156453256
>>156453305
>>156453889
Together.
>>
File: anzu_raucht.jpg (14KB, 480x480px)
anzu_raucht.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
>>156438504
>6 years later
>still listening to ichiban ippai
No regrets.
>>
File: fTqME2K.jpg (697KB, 2748x7966px) Image search: [Google]
fTqME2K.jpg
697KB, 2748x7966px
>>156453889
Better version.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.