[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, we can all agree that Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 1a98658f83006f6a355e51f19f1a35dd.jpg (884KB, 1484x2099px) Image search: [Google]
1a98658f83006f6a355e51f19f1a35dd.jpg
884KB, 1484x2099px
So, we can all agree that Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex is the most comfy version of Ghost in the Shell, right?
>>
it's everything.
Even in philosophical value it beats the 95 movie, but only because it's a series of 40 something episodes and has more space to cover more ideas.
t. hardcore gits fanboy
>>
>>155988949
human interface is better desu
>>
>>155988949
>Even in philosophical value it beats the 95 movie
>even
sounds like you're implying there's anything other than philosophical value that's better than in the '95 movie
are you purposely being wrong like when you wrote it beats the '95 movie in philosophical value or was that a legit mistake?
>>
>>155988841

Sure, it's still not good though.

SAC is a 7/10
1995 GitS is a 4/10
>>
>>155988841
I liked it far better than the movie.
>>
>>155989150
I actually think it is
rewatch the series
>>
>>155988841

95 is the franchise's artistic, performative pinnacle, from which all the broader interest in it stems. SAC is what GitS is like when it's hanging out with friends on a Saturday afternoon talking about life and having a good time, so yes, comfy is the right word. It's also generally the best version, though.
>>
>>155989276
how is it better?
Some episodes had some imo bland existentialism + free will 101, the laughing man story had stuff about mass media influence, also taken superficially.
The movie was all about what it means to be human/to have a soul, everything seen by both a character who (supposedly) is human even without a meat body and that of a character who becomes what one might argue is human.

Then SAC was more light hearted with a lighter and brighter aesthetic and tachikomas discussing what it means to be human for a whopping whole episode where they help a girl doing I don't remember what.
Then Batou is in love with the Major, don't even get me started on 2nd gig.
The movie had a visual direction instead of having future-looking stuff as background, with a vast number of shots portraying the human element (usually the Major) against the tech/non human element (usually the city).

Really what does SAC have on the '95 movie?
>>
100%
I love the movie but I can't understand people liking it more than SAC.
>>
SAC is overrated as fuck. It's boring in term of character writing and visually too.
1995 >= Manga > SAC > irrelevant
>>
>>155989874

95's main shortcoming is its emotional opacity.

It's still a rewarding experience for all the reasons you described, but SAC offers a comfier conduit to the same ideas (I believe it explores them in more depth than you claim), albeit with less visual distinction.
>>
>>155990279
>emotional opacity
what's emotional opacity and what does it mean in this context?
>it's better because it's comfier
so you like the aesthetic better?
>>
>>155989874
okay but the pacing was atrocious
>>
>>155990201
> >Irrelevant
That may be the only part of your comment that I agree with, but oh boy do I agree with it.
>>
File: Incredible Math.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Incredible Math.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>155988841
I thought the credits were comfy as hell, it was interesting seeing the characters doing stuff besides government work.
>>
>>155991759
The song is GOAT too. I honestly can't choose which is better the better ED.
>>
>>155988949
totally correct opinion anyone who disagrees is wrong
i am also a hardcore gits fangirl(boy)
>>
>>155990378

>what's emotional opacity and what does it mean in this context?
Motoko's internal conflict is understated, since the movie is interested in the thematic considerations of her struggle between human and machine, rather than the specific emotional implications. Her humanity is further diffused within the movie's overall visual direction, which as you noted is strongly technological.

In SAC Motoko is still emotionally inaccessible for the most part, but her feelings are much closer to the surface, and she is more exposed as a person with strong emotions at various points in the series.

>so you like the aesthetic better?
No, no. 95 is one of the definitive renderings of the cyberpunk/near future aesthetic. SAC is visually accomplished, but it's still the workman's interpretation of the world 95 created. By comfiness, I was referring to the quality of the show overall.
>>
S1 intro and credits music are definitely comfy

still got 'em on my phone
>>
>>155990378

Also, sorry that it took me two hours to respond. I left the coffee shop I was at right after I posted.
>>
>>155992965

>fangirl(boy)
Literally what did you mean by this?
>>
>>155991841
Is so cold and human
>>
>>155991841

Both OPs and EDs are top-tier.
>>
>>155988841
Yeah
best versions of all the characters too. Best voices, both dub and original

I really, REALLY want the new anime to be more SAC
>>
File: artps103.jpg (417KB, 1280x1524px) Image search: [Google]
artps103.jpg
417KB, 1280x1524px
>>155988841
>>155996663
Best Motoko will always be the manga version, deal with it.
>>
>>155996663

Thank you for reminding me that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn just had an extra part in the Tangled series, I meant to ask /co/ if they noticed it.

Also too bad, you'll get a new spin-off timeline instead.
>>
>>155996812
>Also too bad, you'll get a new spin-off timeline instead.
I actually hate how everything is different continuities, especially how different the Major is across all of them
>>
>>155996858

Of course, I empathize. But then, that's how we got SAC.
>>
File: 1295388565305s.jpg (2KB, 126x87px) Image search: [Google]
1295388565305s.jpg
2KB, 126x87px
>mfw I fapped to a blurry pic of the Major and it turned out to be Togusa
>>
>>155996927
True
I dunno, just can't really get into other versions
>>
>>155996722
only from a design perspective
she's funny and genki and all, but her best moments in the manga was when she was seriously about to fuck someone up
SAC is more consistent and strikes a good balance
too bad about SAC s1's leotard
>>
File: snnnnake.png (243KB, 403x739px) Image search: [Google]
snnnnake.png
243KB, 403x739px
>>155999012
I preferred when she was in her military fatigues, looked like some Sneaking Suit shit
>>
>>155989181
7/10 means good retard
>>
I liked characters in SAC better, because in the older films (GitS and Innocence) they came as a bit too aloof, whereas in SAC they felt more human. That made the theme about the line between human and machine work out a lot better, as opposed to those older films, in which the characters don't show enough emotion.

Motoko is especially likeable in SAC.

Now, don't get me wrong, the older films are visually stunning and great in their own right, but I do feel characterisation is better in SAC.

Innocence also got a bit annoying with all the quotations.
>>
>>155994419
I think that was intentional in the movie. She was alienated or otherwise, her emotion were just numb to her. This fits with the whole cyberisation giving a different perspective on life (artificial sensations)

Me english be bad sry :3 but this is a huge part of the tone in the movie. The problems as far as I could are too obvious symbolism (or just bad) and I think they could make it a bit longer
>>
>>155999830
Pretty much this. Haven't seen Innocence yet though.
Solid State Society had pretty nice animation though
>>
>>155995500
It's something humans do
checked
>>
File: snap 195.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
snap 195.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.