[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>all these people being depressed their precious manga series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: onekingdom.jpg (257KB, 1160x800px) Image search: [Google]
onekingdom.jpg
257KB, 1160x800px
>all these people being depressed their precious manga series HxH and Berserk being on hiatus most of the time
There is literally no need to wait for those series when you have better shounen and seinen on a weekly basis done by authors who actually care about their fans.
>>
>>155961195
you lost me at one piece or better known as let's repeat the same tragic back-story every arc, the fans are so retarded they will eat it up and think that it is a new unique story
>>
>>155961548
>battle shounen is formulaic
You don't say. It's still one of the best series from this type all things considered.
>>
>>155961195
You say that like we don't read both of these extremely popular and mainstream series that everyone knows about. Doesn't mean I don't miss HxH and Berserk.

One Piece is not better anyway, Kingdom I find more enjoyable than Berserk these days but HxH makes OP look like repetitive, formulaic garbage.
>>
One Piece lost me after the timeskip happened, I dropped it during the Doflamingo shit. It's lost all sense of adventure that it used to have and has turned into a standard battle shounen. Some people like that which is fine but it's not for me anymore.
>>
>there is some arbitrary limit to the amount of series you can enjoy
>>
>>155962591
I don't think OP has changed at all, but that's the whole problem. Oda won't step out of his comfort zone and do anything different, it's so fucking predictable. The pattern was fun for a while, but it gets old and boring when you've seen it enough times (though I'm sure for OPfags 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' applies).
>>
Kingdom is based
>>
I remember reading Kingdom but it lost me somewhere around chapter 300, and I don't really remember why.

Maybe its time to give it another try.
>>
>There is literally no need to wait for those series when you have better shounen and seinen on a weekly basis

Sell me on Kingdom, then. I've had it on the backburner for a while with little motivation to catch up.

>>155962591
>It's lost all sense of adventure that it used to have and has turned into a standard battle shounen

This was my biggest issue with the first few timeskip arcs but Zou and WCI reminded me of why I fell in love with the series in the first place. It actually feels like Oda is starting to get his shit together after being so hit and miss in the last few years.
>>
>>155961195

what if I like both

you can enjoy those and still be mad at no HxH and berserk
>>
File: 1474586968930.png (51KB, 900x688px)
1474586968930.png
51KB, 900x688px
>>155961195
> better shounen and seinen
>>
>>155962486
>extremely popular
Is it true about Kingdom though? Of course it's selling like crazy in Japan but it doesn't have regular discussions here, all Kingdom threads I've seen had like 30-40 replies max. So it's kind of underappreciated I think.
>>
File: jojoka.jpg (125KB, 825x600px)
jojoka.jpg
125KB, 825x600px
>>155961195
Oops wrong pic.
>>
>>155961195
I've dropped Berserk, i think the author lost his touch since the introduction of Schierke and it feels like a completely different series. The pirates and sea god shit was probably the lowest point in the entire series.
Also i will never understand why OP is so popular on /a/. It's the most mediocre, run of the mill battle shounen series i can think of. There are a couple of highlights but other than that it's 800 chapters of the same formula done over and over again with the same obnoxious characters who don't develop at all and just have one obnoxious gimmick with an asspull every now and then. I dropped it at Dressrosa because i just couldn't take it anymore, but good on Oda to be able to milk his cashcow while the fans just eat it up.
>>
>>155961195
Never catched the gist of OP.
But yes, there are better mangos than current HxH and Berserk.
>>
>>155967917
name 5
>>
>>155961195
Or you can read stuff you haven't tried yet that has a proper ending, likes Flame of Recca or Yu Yu Hakushou.
>>
>>155968144
Yes, and from seinen Blade of the Immortal and Ashita no Joe.
>>
>>155966933
Its quite literally impossible to tell what the fuck is going to happen in the current OP arc. The repeating the same formula thing is such a weak criticism because it ignores what actually happens in each arc.
>>
>>155968373
>Ashita no Joe
The anime of this is gorgeous as well.
>>
>>155962987
>>Sell me on Kingdom, then. I've had it on the backburner for a while with little motivation to catch up.

Do you know history? Cause this is the one arc where Qin is about to get BTFO in a sense. Unless you don't think Kanki getting his army annihilated counts.
>>
Berserk and HxH are better than one piece although one piece is still great. I've only read a few chapters of Kingdom but it's good so far.

>>155962591
I also dropped OP during Dressrosa but I picked it up again and it gets a lot better.
>>
>>155965323
Its a third best seller in japan we dont even get volumes here and probably never will
>>
>>155966933
>It's the most mediocre, run of the mill battle shounen series i can think of.
You can call OP mediocre, but you're out of your mind if you think it's worse than Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail.
>>
One Piece fell apart years ago, OP.
>>
File: 1492006226885.png (24KB, 390x470px)
1492006226885.png
24KB, 390x470px
all these dressrossa babies who dropped one piece because they couldnt handle the weeksly pace when they switched from the anime to the manga.
>>
>>155969932
>dressrosa apologizers
what the fuck
>>
>>155969659
Him saying that also implies its more generic than Black Clover which I don't think is possible.
>>
File: 1469151011255.png (87KB, 400x280px)
1469151011255.png
87KB, 400x280px
>>155961195
>i've long forgotten about berserk and i have no trust in miura.
>hxh is still pretty interesting whenever it comes out.
>kingdom is about average or slightly above.
>op is fantastic for a shonen.
>>
>>155970036
Fairy Tail is more generic than Black Clover.
>>
>>155962591
if it was a standard battle shounen, we would be having more 1 on 1 fights that actually happen on-screen and don't get skipped over and have decisive results.

That's what I miss the most, from OP's golden years.
>>
>>155969973
Not him but it is better when you aren't reading it weekly. Its certainly not the strongest OP arc, but it pulls itself together in the end. Its not all bad, and I don't see why everything has to be so black and white for you guys.
>>
File: chinese knockoff umaru.jpg (151KB, 834x613px) Image search: [Google]
chinese knockoff umaru.jpg
151KB, 834x613px
>>155968144
>proper ending
>Yu Yu Hakusho
>>
>>155970061
>>
I really like Kingdom, but I absolutely love HxH. It's not like I constantly think all day about it, though, as I usually prefer marathoning to reading weekly, so hiatus is more of a major annoyance than an issue; I'm various months behind in kingdom.
>>
>>155970070
I haven't read FT since Termina world arc. If its fallen that low I feel sorry for anyone who reads it.
>>155970112
WCI has been quite fun even though we haven't had any real fights yet. OP is one of my top 5 manga for sure, but I've never really enjoyed it for the fights so maybe thats just me.
>>
>>155966933
For several years it avoided most of the common genre and demographic pitfalls. The core cast as a whole mattered, the protagonist's character faults had consequences, the cast had agency, arcs would vary in tone and structure and could often work as standalone stories, powerlevels were nearly nonexistant and tension came from actual events and mismatches like "I'm drowning" or "We have to fight a sand man in the desert," asspull powers and forms rarely showed up, female characters tended to have actual worth besides being sexy, etc.

It did a lot right that other series fail to for a long time.
>>
>>155961195
HxH and Berserk are only popular thanks to the hiatuses. Without them, they would be over now, and people long have forgotten them.
>>
>>155966933
being popular, liked or getting praised doesn't mean it's perfect. especially for a series as long as OP.
people who go into OP with too many expectations will be dissapointed.
>>
One piece oh you mean one shit... one shit is so dragged out its fucking worse than Naruto filler the characters look like shit who designed them a fucking retarded monkey LoL
>>
>>155962591
Enies Lobby was the first real warning sign. Aside from Impel Down and Zou if you push it, it never truly recovered. People jerk off the Whitebeard War, but it was just a bunch of flashiness with little substance.
>>
>>155961195

I really like Kingdom, but fuck it has the same problems as Berserk - too many characters staying alive. I kind of predict the general Ousen guy will die and give his helmet to q.t.pie Ten which makes Shin's unit stronger for no fucking reason.

And for those wanting to be "sold" to read it - its loosely historical like Historie if you've read it, basically how China becomes unified by either diplomacy (which I admit is gay) or killing the other side. Lots of fighting, centers around a village peon Shin who works his way to the top.
>>
>>155970387
Problem is that I don't expect it being perfect but I expect some really hype moment at least. OP just seemed constantly average; hell I even like absolute shit like Naruto more most of the times.
>>
>>155969096
Not this arc... Kanki a lot later...
Relevant quote from Wiki:
In 236 BCE, while Zhao was attacking Yan, Qin used the opportunity to send two separate forces to invade Zhao. The Qin army led by Wang Jian (Jap Ousen) conquered the Zhao territories of Eyu (閼與; present-day Heshun County, Jinzhong, Shanxi) and Liaoyang (撩陽; present-day Zuoquan County, Jinzhong, Shanxi), while the other Qin army under the command of Huan Y (Jap Kanki)i (桓齮)[b] and Yang Duanhe (Jap Yotanwa) (楊端和) captured Ye (鄴; present-day Ci County, Handan, Hebei) and Anyang (安陽; present-day Anyang County, Anyang, Henan). Zhao lost nine cities and its military prowess was weakened.[
>>
>>155970490
>let me try a better comparison

Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Historie... sort of like those manga, except it comes out almost every week instead of TWICE A FUCKING YEAR COME ON.
>>
>>155970527
Oh shit it's not 236 BCE yet? Fuck I mixed it up. So they are gonna conquer Gyou somehow? I find that rather impressive.
>>
>>155970220
man, I think fights are actually one of OP's strong points. Franky vs Fukurou maybe my favorite
>trading blows like champs
>established that Franky ran out of juice and must refuel
>he's getting his ass kicked in the meantime
>brief humor interlude featuring refrigerator shenanigans
>powered up! but now they're in the fucking water
>they each try different avenues of escape, finally Franky grabs on while Fukurou does an adorable 1-legged moonstep
>they each come up with a way to defeat the other in a manner that uses the current situation of being hundreds of feet in the air near the building
>Franky uses a power he's demonstrated before (where it was kind of a joke, but now it's real) to counter Fukurou's move, then finish him

It's two weirdo looking dudes without a whole lot on the line emotionally, but the battle rages all over the place and they always take into account terrain, the action is easy to follow and one set-piece leads into another, drawn with dynamic movements and strong impact.

I'm not saying it's the best fight of all time, but it's a lot better than most battle shonen bother with. And I miss that aspect of the series.
>>
>>155970405
you sound like someone who has an itachi poster in his room
>>
>>155970429
How can you say Marineford has no substance. It introduced a ton of characters, solidified BB as the true antagonist, lead to the restructure of the marines and marked the beginning of the new age of piracy. Do you actually read the fucking manga?
>>
>>155961195
True for OP, wrong for Berserk
>>
>>155970490
>too many characters staying alive.

But it's historical, and even the non historical characters like the HSU's commanders/captains are actually based on real people, they were just nameless but if you know history you already know who the HSU guys like Denyuu, Ryuusen, etc become later. They all die at Chu.

The only person with huge fucking plot armor beyond their scope is Heki, he managed to surpass history itself through interpretation.

>>155970547
Ravages of Time is better than all of them, and it comes out bi-weekly. Whether it gets scanlated is another topic.
>>
>>155970701
>Ravages of Time is better than all of them
Because...?
>>
>>155970644
>It introduced a ton of characters, solidified BB as the true antagonist, lead to the restructure of the marines and
Yeah that's...kind of what I'm saying, actually. All that matters is the ending. The fact that said event happens. Unlike other One Piece stories, everything else is pretty much just fluff, including most of the introduced characters. The arc itself is a bunch of action for several chapters and it's just not terribly interesting.
>>
>>155961195
You could have made a good point but had to post One Piece.
>>
>>155970797
Have you never read it or are you just disagreeing? Cause spoilers and stuff you know. Either way it's a lot more sophisticated but at the same time puts a barrier on the enjoyment if you know nothing of that period or chink culture, but the thought put into it with all the schemes, the geography, logistics, etc puts stuff like Kingdom to shame even if Kingdom does the whole exaggerated shit hitting the fan drawings better expressive wise. Ravages is more like a tragedy that actually acts like a tragedy even as the super generals act like bad ass raid bosses cause there's no shonen solution to it like Kingdom, nor is it some escapism like Thorfinn who is just running away cause he doesn't wanna deal with that shit no more even if he is potentially in a position to do something about it going by how the author made him into a person of power through blood.

Historie is the closest to Ravages out of the ones mentioned, but Historie is basically about Eumenes being a genius and everyone else being kinda smart or plain dumb. Ravages is where everyone has an Eumenes or two.
>>
File: 28_3_2011.jpg (120KB, 774x1032px)
28_3_2011.jpg
120KB, 774x1032px
>>155970636

You take that back
>>
>>155961195
Were you not here when the coalition arc happened? The day TF released the Sai Speech chapter /a/ was going nuts.
>>
>>155971023
Its not really fluff if it leads to a meaningful conclusion. I'd agree if nothing came out of it, but lots came out of it. Things that happened there will still be affecting the story until it ends.
>>
>>155961195
pretty much this, we are bros
>>
>>155971199
Renpa arc was so much better

Peak of the series, honestly
>>
>>155971510
>Along with manga greats Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), Takehiko Inoue (Vagabond, Slam Dunk), and Hiroshi Motomiya (Salaryman Kitaro), as well as many, many amateurs, Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto and One Piece's Eiichiro Oda have signed on to redraw panels of Yasuhisa Hara's Kingdom with the aim of setting the Guinness World Record for “Manga Written by the Most People.”

Wow thats pretty fucking neato. Funny how people jerk off about which manga is better than the other while the Mangaka are doing bro shit like this.
>>
>>155971199
I can't believe the author turn one line in the history book into a fucking huge event like that, its fucking great
>>
>>155961195
New Kingdom anime when? I heard the old one is shit and the series is super popular in Japan so we'll get one sooner or later, right?
>>
>>155971608
actually i dont see many threads of kindom but those mangajkas said they all are fans of hara work
>>
>>155962591
this exactly, but it looks like its getting better with zou and WCI arcs
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.