[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a problem with this movie without memeing once. Pro tip:an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 522
Thread images: 83

File: download.jpg (8KB, 185x272px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 185x272px
Name a problem with this movie without memeing once.
Pro tip:an overwhelming majority of you literally fucking cant
>>
File: 19d.png (121KB, 253x228px) Image search: [Google]
19d.png
121KB, 253x228px
>Still haven't seen it
For as much as you all are hyping it, it better be the best goddamn thing I've ever seen
>>
>>155858355
It's probably the MOTS
>>
>>155858355
It's enjoyable
>>
>>155858290
Romance is underdeveloped. You need to just accept that they've fallen in love with each other from the body swap but the movie doesn't make you feel it.

The final act goes for a big crowd pleasing save the day action vibe instead of a more appropriate thematic culmination of what's come before.
>>
The final act felt very disjointed with the rest of the film and dragged on for far longer than it should have.
>>
Its overrated. You can say that isn't a problem with the movie itself, but I would disagree. Its like if you heard someone say The Titanic is the greatest movie of all time simply because they know it made a lot of money. The movie itself attracts cancer, and this is a flaw.
>>
File: 1486507936425.jpg (30KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1486507936425.jpg
30KB, 346x346px
>>155858685
>Save the day action vibe
Anon did you finish the movie
Also I'd say implications throughout the story and the scene on the mountain/minutes after that said plenty.
Also time loops and shit.
>>
It's good but overrated. That's really all there's to say.
>>
>>155859039
Ah yes. The fine example of contrarianism /a/ claims to deny having.
Nigger please.
>>
>>155859039
>The movie itself attracts cancer, and this is a flaw.
Ask me how I know you're a retard.
>>
>>155858290
just got back from seeing it in theaters. the first time it was on a shitty small plane screen on the way back from deployment. just as amazing the second time if not more literal 10/10
>>
Their love for each other was kinda rushed. There was not enough time for the audience to get sucked in into their relationship.
>>
>>155859188
How do you know Im a retard? Iv'e tested my IQ and its 185.
>>
>>155859369
I hope you're just joking. You sound even more retarded now.
>>
>>155859071
>Anon did you finish the movie
I saw it in a cinema like a year ago.
It goes full on 80s kids movie everybody-work-together-now, big action stakes stuff. Come to think of it, it was very similar to the ending to Summer Wars. That movie was a narrative clusterfuck in a lot of ways, but an ending like that makes sense there since that movie was about community working together. It was a distraction from what Your Name was really about. Shinkai went for the big rousing crowd pleasing 'exciting' option rather than being true to his concept and characters.
Another problem: Shinkai overplays his hand with the false suspense of withholding whether convincing the mayor worked. The movie's already put you in enough suspense, so it wasn't necessary. It was more important and interesting to show how the guy actually convinced his dad to order the evacuation, but we're cheated out of seeing that. Maybe Shinkai couldn't think of a way to convincingly depict that so tried to work his way around that.

The scene on the mountain was great, I'll give it that. But earlier in the movie the film doesn't visualise or make you feel how true love develops just though getting to walk in the other's footsteps. It's a difficult thing to depict, but a better filmmaker would have tried harder to show how they get to know the other person's heart and soul over time, rather than just the particulars of their day to day life. As it is it just pops into the movie and then it has to be taken for granted, which isn't enough when the romance ends up having epic significance attached to it.

Still his best movie by far.
>>
>>155858290
its not based on the meme, there is no evidence Shinkai ever heard of Keit-ai
>>
I wish it was longer.
>>
>>155862180
What does this even mean?
>>
the second time seeing was worse, it hit me so much harder. I cried so much, since I knew what was coming I cried harder with anticipation. Are there any anons that want to come see it with me this week in socal? Near LA
>>
>>155859369
25 above Einstein, huh? your autism must be superpowered
>>
>>155862797
That the movie is shit.
>>
>>155862806
>going with someone who's going to cry on my shoulder
fuck off
>>
>>155863610
ill cry on my tissues fyi, dont be heartless anon
>>
>>155858290
Forced romance elements, LOL HERE'S A FUCKING METEOR, characters not understanding how the body swaps work despite basically understanding at least 80% of how it works, poor pacing at times
>>
characters are underdeveloped, not sure how I'm supposed to care about the characters if they are school boy a and school girl b. plot twist/only development is really hacky and feels like Shinkai just needed to throw some action in. Still his best film.
>>
Learn some fucking respect for your fellow moviegoers you cunts.
>>
>>155858355
You will, without a doubt, be disappointed
>>
>>155859039
This. The only reason people give a shit about it is because THE GRORIOUS NIHONJIN RABU IT AND IT MAKE BIG MONEY SO IT MUST BE THE BEST AH-KNEE-MAY EIGA EVERRRRRRRR. If it was just a randomly chosen anime film, I guarantee nobody would care
>>
>>155858290
>First half was rushing as fck and zen zen zense ruining the first half

There I said it
>>
>>155858290
stupid grandmom musubi bullshit

>>155859437
> Another problem
that girl told her dad the stone will be split at first meeting, and news said no one predicted that... so quite plausible
>>
>>155859359
> plane viewing
Im sorry anon. At least you made it back in time to see it in theaters.
>>
>>155859437
>I saw it in a cinema like a year ago.
It came out in nip cinemas like seven months ago.
>>
>>155864205
the stone? THE STONE?
>>
>>155859437
> Shinkai went for the big rousing crowd pleasing 'exciting' option rather than being true to his concept and characters.
> Still his best movie by far.
Pick one.
>>
>>155863788
No reason to feel bad you werent smart enough to figure it out yourself before the main characters anon. Shinkai gave you plenty of hints.
>>
Did the movie deviate from the novel?
>>
Opening with a boobie groping scene is probably not the best idea

Other than that, I can't. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.
>>
>>155859437
>It was more important and interesting to show how the guy actually convinced his dad to order the evacuation

Why
>>
I love this movie but I think that without the visuals and music it would just kinda be shit
>>
The music kinda felt out of place to me. I love RADWIMPS, but I didn't think it was the best choice.
>>
>>155864517
i get where anon's coming from. it had its flaws but your name is still better than any of shinkai's other works
>>
>>155864517
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-12-20/interview-makoto-shinkai/.110150
>>
>>155858290
I thought the insert songs were a little out of place and disrupted the flow of the movie. They felt like OPs and EDs, and I kept expecting it to cut away to credits, even though they were in the middle of the movie. Also, the line where they said something like "we're switching places!" in unision in a split scene was goofy. Made me cringe.

That's all I've got.
>>
>>155858290
it's popular
>>
>>155858355
If you get spoiled on the twists and turns, then you'll be disappointing. Just skip this thread and watch the 720p rip now, then rewatch it again in 1080p when BDs are out to see the hidden clues sprinkled all over the movie.

Waiting for the BDs may not be worth it if you get spoiled in between.
>>
>movie started with "who are you?"
>movie ends with "what's your name?"
POTTERY
>>
>>155858290
Too complicated/too much shit going on at once towards the end, shit gave me a headache
>>
>>155865434
complicated in what way
>>
>>155865342
Shinkai having music videos in his movies is pretty much his style, if 5 cm and Garden of Words are any indication.
>>
>>155865418
there was too much pottery in this movie; my favorite is how they both left behind their most precious possession in the underworld.
>>
>>155858290
Plot wasn't perfect. You would think at any point Taki and Mitsuha would take a look at the year. Especially considering they used their phone's calendar functions constantly.
>>
look at how this imouto embraces the underworld. she must be musubi.
>>
File: 1483122269035.png (1MB, 1000x1338px) Image search: [Google]
1483122269035.png
1MB, 1000x1338px
>ywn experience young love
>>
The summer wars tier ending felt like such an overdone cliche sequence of events that it killed almost all of my enjoyment for the movie up to that point
>>
>>155865618
It was like a dream to them, they wouldn't notice or remember those details, and it'd be easily overlooked like they are in dreams.
>>
>>155865622
Yotsuha is a miracle of the universe
>>
File: tessi.png (94KB, 323x381px) Image search: [Google]
tessi.png
94KB, 323x381px
>>155865657
Don't remind me
>>
File: 1483642889095.jpg (61KB, 480x678px) Image search: [Google]
1483642889095.jpg
61KB, 480x678px
>>155865622
Best girl
>>
>>155865778
I wonder if she secretly swapped with someone and we didn't recognize it. Maybe I'll pay attention and see if she acts out of character on my rewatch.
>>
>>155865546
But they felt more natural in those movies. They happened near the end, and the pop songs had a more melancoly tone. These ones came near the beginning and really sounded like OPs/EDs.

It's a small complaint, but it threw me off and took me out of the story.
>>
>>155858290
It doesn't exist.
>>
File: Your Name Comic 4 (1).jpg (436KB, 1000x1416px) Image search: [Google]
Your Name Comic 4 (1).jpg
436KB, 1000x1416px
>>
>>155865829
Oh shit, I was wondering who that was supposed to be, damn I'm dumb
>>
File: Your Name Comic 4 (2).jpg (549KB, 1000x1416px) Image search: [Google]
Your Name Comic 4 (2).jpg
549KB, 1000x1416px
>>155865937
>>
File: Your Name Comic 4 (3).jpg (666KB, 1000x1416px) Image search: [Google]
Your Name Comic 4 (3).jpg
666KB, 1000x1416px
>>155865949
cameo from /a/
>>
>token MC with some artsy interest like most Hackoto Shinkai MCs
>the girl is uninteresting and just wants to escape her reality
>body swap
>through time travel
>(no problem messing with electronics and OS dates)
>mobile phones as a major plot element
>muh magic spit sake will let me jump through time and dimensions
>another fucking ending song with loud vocals in place of actual narrative/story telling

I feel like I've watched the same unoriginal crap 10 times already. If you're older than 16 years old and this is your "favorite movie" you should feel bad for yourself.
>>
>>155858290
Misuha cut her hair.
>>
>>155866024
This. Even the Gods didn't like it so they struck her down with a meteor.
>>
>>155865704
They write down rules and they leave notes on their bodies for each other. They follow each others routines flawlessly after a few tries.
They go to classes and every student ever knows the date, month and year as they have to write that shit down for their classes, in their notebooks or in forms and stuff.
>b-but 'twas only a dream and it felt like that for them
Yeah, no.
>>
>>155858290
I think that the whole oppai thing is cringy as fuck. they took it to far at the end when they meet the first time.
>>
>>155866104
Its explicitly described as a dream, anon.
>>
>>155859437
>true to his concept and characters
What do you mean by that?
I'd take that over the do less than nothing omegas he traditionally makes. Would you really have preferred that? Also Taki and Mitsuha aren't that type of character either. Both are extremely outgoing and active.
>>
It's just another shallow underdeveloped love story with a fantasy setting with no meaning or depth.
You will forget about this """massively popular""" """"""highly successful"""""" film in less than 2 years.
Trust me on this one.
>>
>>155865587
Wait did they? I don't remember. What were they?
>>
>>155866177
Each other, hence why they forgot.
>>
>>155865704
I liked the plot enough to look past that but I still think it's a genuine plot hole. They were both very proficient with the swapping after a while and were able to remember what they did. I think if you're aware enough to leave a note on your phone for someone else you're aware enough to check the time.

Also how could someone not hear about when an entire town got fucking obliterated by a meteor 3 years ago?
>>
>>155858290
The movie wasn't long enough, there should've been several hours more of Taki and Mitsuha in Tokyo.
>>
>>155866267
It is one of those things you have to take on faith, but I've had dreams where there were out of place elements that I just didn't care about, and made perfect sense while dreaming.

For the latter point, I'm inclined to believe its intentional that Taki didn't remember hearing about it. There's that quote that gets repeated about how the comet is nothing more or less than a beautiful view. Well, that's not true; that comet was a terrible disaster that destroyed a town and ruined lives. Its supposed to be ironic; there's all those newspeople talking about how amazing and fortunate they are to see the comet. For those people, that's all the comet is. The rural-urban divide is obviously a theme here; Taki from Tokyo couldn't care less about the disappearance of an entire community, and takes it for granted.
>>
>>155866267
>Also how could someone not hear about when an entire town got fucking obliterated by a meteor 3 years ago?
Kids sure are clueless amirite
>>
I don't understand any of the time travel shit that happened. It didn't really make sense to me. The result was nice and all but I didn't understand shit. Time travel doesn't have to be super tight knit or have its mechanics explained in detail, but I'd at least like for what, when, and why something happens to be clear. Otherwise it's just really contrived.
>>
File: box-office-results.png (137KB, 910x558px) Image search: [Google]
box-office-results.png
137KB, 910x558px
>>155866162
>""""""highly successful""""""
>>
>>155866397
What didn't you get about it? The time travel stuff was caused by the guardian god working through the Miyamizu bloodline; that's mentioned by Grandma. Taki theorizes its to warn them about the comet, and he'd be right, since the shrine has those drawings of the comet, from 1000 years before.

Grandma has her monologue about how Musubi is knotting, which explains why the body switching also involves time travel; think of it as each being a string, and then getting tangled backwards and forwards.
>>
>>155866397
No time travel happened.
>>
>>155866397
>matching making god wants to hook up the latest of age Miyamizu daughter with some guy
>turns out the guy she wants is three years too young for her right now
>send that fucker from the future so their ages match up
>this ends up being what made her want that guy anyway
>also those Itomi idiots burned down their records and now don't remember there's a giant fuck you rock heading for them soon
>how the fuck did they forget, they painted a mural of it right fucking their in the shrine
>future kid saves their ass by changing the past through the power of love
>keep them apart until 8/5 years later and the age difference isn't such a problem
Who knew Musubi wasn't into /ss/?
>>
too nippon for me

i dont give a shit about nippon voodoo shintoh magic or whatever the fuck the social commentary was about

it was pretentious as fuck i just want cute girls falling in love

the time travel felt out of place like a contrived asspull solely existing just to save the girl who TRAGICALLY died *cough* forced drama *cough* out of nowhere
>>
>>155866469
Does it also explain why some teenage kid living hundreds of miles away like Taki (apparently unrelated to the Miyamizu bloodline) of all people is involved?
>>
File: 1491109821038.jpg (125KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491109821038.jpg
125KB, 1024x768px
>>155866469
I mean all the shit with the spit sake and the mountain and how they talked and whatnot. They were both talking to each other despite being 3 years apart. Basically the stuff after Taki decided to take his trip to visit Mitsuha made no sense to me. Also the cell phone deleting shit. And the history books changing. Basically everything in the narrative for the most part was sound until he finds out Mitsuha was long dead.
>>
>>155866590
Likely because they're soulmates, as in the god knew they'd fall in love with each other.
>>
I liked it until it turned into X-Men: Days of Anime Past
>>
>>155866590
Because the girl who was going to be bodyswapping wanted a Tokyo life, which Taki would be able to help give her. Other than that, it's kind of implied that the god can see through all of time since it can link the future and past so easily. Probably, the god knew what course of events was supposed to happen, and nudged things in the right direction. Taki was probably chosen at random by fate, as most things would be to begin with.
>>
I liked it a lot, but it didn't really amaze me or strike me as a super memorable film. I had a fun time and felt some emotion and suspense
>>
>>155858290
It has way too many insert songs. After the second one I started to roll my eyes.
>>
>>155866430
It won shitty awards and it made less money than Pocahontas, kek.
If something makes money doesn't necessarily mean it's good.
>>
>>155866619
Ok, well the spit sake is half of Mitsuha, as in it contains her essence. Drinking it allows him to unite their souls and switch again. The cellphone deleting is supposed to represent the dream fading. They were only able to talk to each other when it was twilight, which is when magical things occur as its a liminal space, as per the teacher's lesson from early on.

Basically, you have to take it as magical realism. Like, how Taki is able to give back her ribbon and it remains with her going back, despite the pen not going with her. That's symbolic; yeah you could say its an inconsistency, but who cares?
>>
>>155866619
>I mean all the shit with the spit sake and the mountain and how they talked and whatnot. They were both talking to each other despite being 3 years apart.
That's fairly easy as long as you're accepting superstitious shinto mythology as absolutely true. Twilight is described early on as the boundary between worlds and the shrine is also said to exist at the same boundary. The spit sake is magic god juice that contains a part of Mitsuha, so by consuming it Taki can re-entangle their life lines like how the Grandmother describes. Why it sends him right to the day of the meteor is whatever. You basically have to accept the god is influencing things a little bit, as long as the mortals are willing to pull their weight.

>Also the cell phone deleting shit.
I got nothing. Even by time travel rules it doesn't make sense, since they haven't actually changed the past. They're just from someone in the past and this time travel doesn't effect anything related to their creation. This has to fall under bullshit "it's all just a dream despite also being real" nonsense. Now that Mitsuha isn't around in that time period, the world is changing as if she was never there. Or something.

>And the history books changing.
Explain further
>>
>>155866570
>Watch chinese cartoon.
> "It's too chinky!".
>>
>>155866704
Speaking from a success standpoint, 331 million worldwide isn't a negative in this case.
>>
>>155866619
Pic related. Basically: shinto magic I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>155866704
Well exactly; Pocahontas made more money and it also got a much worse critical reception.
>>
>>155866736
Way to misinterpret what I said. All I meant is that it was too pompous for an anime, I didn't even bother to talk in detail about how rushed and jumbled the plot was.

If Shinkai wanted to create a mature narrative he should have just written a book.
>>
>>155866590
Because Mitsuha gave him her rope.
>>
>>155866721
wasn't the pen Taki's?
>>
>>155866766
He did actually
>>
>>155866721
But what if he made a mistake and drank the wrong one?
>>
>>155866766
>calls the movie pretentious
>describes it as "pompous" and assumes it was meant to be """mature"""
>>
>>155866741
Well yeah basically. I was able to look past it when looking at the overall package but I don't think that segment was that well done.
>>
>>155866803
Well he apparently remembered which one was Mitsuha's, because he was in control that day and being their jogged his memory enough not to fuck it up.

Otherwise >>155865778
>>
>>155866803
Well clearly he didn't, and since he was the one that placed it there himself very recently from his perspective, I'd say it'd be weird for him to make a mistake.
>>
>>155866803
See>>155865778

But seriously, maybe he'd switch with Yotsuha? Probably not though, since there wasn't a prior connection.
>>
>>155866741
>>155866619
No, no the reason they can talk on the mountain 3 years apart isn't because of the sake, that's what lets Taki switch bodies one last time

The reason they can talk on the mountain is because they enter Twilight, the hour when you can talk to ghosts in Shinto myth. This is also why the marker is dropped and she suddenly disappears without warning as soon as twilight is passed.
>>
>>155866820
>vocabulary is bad
>assume it was meant to be ""mature""
That's what all the outlets and shills were raving about this movie. Everyone was acting as if this was the second-coming of the End Of Evangelion when it was basically a poor man's Kokoro Connect with a better budget, music shilling provided by Sony, and a time travel subplot.
>>
>>155865829
Apparently there's some side stuff that she actually did switch with some shinto priest from a 1000 years ago.
>>
My only problem was that the guy was uninteresting as a character.
>>
>>155866882
What do they have to do with the movie?
>>
>>155866896
If you hype something up as the best thing ever, then it deserves to be criticized at that level.
>>
File: michael scott reaction.jpg (28KB, 750x358px) Image search: [Google]
michael scott reaction.jpg
28KB, 750x358px
>But for all its entertaining novelty, it is still many steps behind the magic, penetrating insights and profound humanity of the Japanese anime pantheon lead by Hayao Miyazaki
Why the fuck does everyone overrate Miyazaki so much? His movies are beautiful, but have clumsy stories with far less insight into the human condition that he lets on.

-pointless male characters who aren't love interests (because Miyazaki doesn't believe in love interests), but at the same time don't have any arc or relevance to the story
-tons and characters literally undergoing a paradigm shift for no reason whatsoever (old woman in Spirited Away is the perfect example)
-weird sexualization, even though Miyazaki claims to hate that (Kiki's Delivery Service)
>>
>>155866829
>>155866840
Unless some troublemaker kids went there and fucked with things
>>
>>155866890
Yeah, he definitely should have been developed more. It's weird because we know what Mitsuha's goals and struggles are - she dreams of living in the city where things are exciting and has all this familial pressure.

Taki - we don't even know if he originally wished to live in the country or something like that.
>>
>>155865778
>become the loli
welp, time to masturbate until my arm falls off.
>>
>>155866856
>This is also why the marker is dropped and she suddenly disappears without warning as soon as twilight is passed.
I thought it was because she was going to write her name.

Twilight actually lasts quite a long time.
>>
>>155866933
He's not even that hot, to be honest. Comet should've chosen a better hottie.
>>
>>155866933
He clearly wants to do some sort of architectural design, based upon the banners in his room and the skill he has at drawing. But it is a little underdeveloped, yeah. We don't really know what his personal conflict is, so to speak. He doesn't seem to have much of a problem with his current life.
>>
>>155866912
To the people calling it the best thing ever, to them, it is. Different people have different standards, experiences, and preferences. One person saying something is good is not the same as someone else saying something's good. Besides, what non-creator people say about a piece of media has absolutely nothing to do with the contents of said media.
>>
>>155866919
Who said that? Was it from a Western review? I can't take a Westerner saying something like that, since this movie clearly resonated with the Japanese people. Like, it isn't just a romance film, it also deals with fallout from the 2011 earthquake, and the rural-urban divide.
>>
>>155858290
It's in my Top 350, worry not OP.
>>
>>155866946
Very little of the flick was time realistic of course. Like, those shinto ritual dance things go on for ages.
>>
>>155866882
. . . if you think that EoE is deep or any type of milestone in animation, you are the worst type of cancer that /a/ has ever seen, and you should be forcibly sent back to high school and forced to read the entirety of literary canon.

Evangelion is literally—literally, not figuratively—the result of Anno getting rejected by women and having a mental breakdown because of it. The fact that he represents the human disconnect during Instrumentality by playing soundbytes of women rejecting men is proof of that.
>>
>>155866926
Clearly they didn't, or else the movie would've ended very differently. We can talk hypothetically all day, but the bottom line is he clearly drank the right one, so there's little reason to discuss a "what if" scenario of him not having done so.
>>
>>155866949
It's effectively one of those time loops where you can't pull a beginning.

Those two body swapped because Mitsuha gave Taki her rope when he was in Junior High, but she only gave him her rope because she was body swapping with the future him.

It's a loop you can't get out of.
>>
>>155866979
hollywood reporter review
>>
>>155866995
>the movie would've ended very differently
And much better.
>>
>>155867037
That'd be a blood ending. I don't want blood on my hands just for "art" or something.
>>
>>155866990
What a load of contrarian garbage. EoE is 20 years older than this shit yet still looks better and has better themes and directing. This movie was quite literally a pretty montage promoting Radwimps while having the most minimal and shallow of plots so that it can sell.

Sony really shilled this movie hard, I don't think Shinkai even believes this was his best work yet.
>>
>>155858290
The worst thing about this movie is that despite it being a huge commercial success, and critically acclaimed, Shinkai himself can't bring himself to be proud of it, and is scared it'll overshadow all his future work. The poor guy.
>>
>>155867067
>I don't think Shinkai even believes this was his best work yet.
Does it really matter what he thinks?

I mean, there's a quote of him saying that he doesn't think that it was that good but that just means that he can't read his audience very well.
>>
>>155867067
>EoE is 20 years older than this shit yet still looks better
Woah I'm not even the guy you're replying to, let's take a step back and take off the nostalgia goggles. EoE isn't even on the same aesthetic playing field. It's not even fair to compare them because of how much higher modern standards are. EoE was good for its day, but a comparison here is laughable.
>>
>>155867067
Shinkai is a humble guy; he refuses to let praise get to him. He's probably the most genuine overly humble artist ever, instead of just humble bragging.
>>
File: 1250728862379.jpg (372KB, 2500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1250728862379.jpg
372KB, 2500x1000px
>>155866430
It made 328 million dollars? That's phenomenal for an anime movie. Did it even cost 1 million to make?
>>
>>155867100
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WPCI-PkrKUl

I actually love this guy.
>>
>>155867115
I can't find a clear number for the budget, but supposedly the lackluster performance of Garden of Words made them tighten their belts both production and advertisement-wise for this movie. Which make's its box office more ridiculous in a few ways.
>>
>>155867148
>It’s not healthy,” the boyish director says. “I don’t think any more people should see it.

Too bad Shinkai-san, I'm going back to rewatch it
>>
File: 2014-07-22 09.28.43.png (33KB, 467x237px) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-22 09.28.43.png
33KB, 467x237px
>>155859139
This right here
>>
File: 1471441857539.jpg (63KB, 1150x669px) Image search: [Google]
1471441857539.jpg
63KB, 1150x669px
>>155867148
What is it with these niche Jap directors?
>>
>>155867181
I'm itching to watch it for a third time, myself.
>>
>>155867067
>EOE HAS HAPPY MUSIC WITH PESSIMISTIC LYRICS PLAYING AS THE WORLD ENDS
>SO DEEP
Are you 12?

Evangelion as a whole has a few things to say about relationships, but EoE specifically doesn't hold up. Meaningless religious symbolism, director self-insertion, and scenes that exist only for shock value.
>>
>>155867115
why do western cartoons look so SHIT?
>>
>>155867174
Really? Maybe that's why I thought the visuals were kind of lacking compared to Kotonoha no Niwa and 5 Centimeters. Not that it looked bad by any stretch, but it didn't feel quite as stunning as the two. Or perhaps I've just become accustom to the way Shinkai movies look.
>>
>>155867252
>Meaningless religious symbolism, director self-insertion, and scenes that exist only for shock value.
Wow it's almost as if I can say the same for Your Name
>>
File: 910.png (812KB, 707x540px) Image search: [Google]
910.png
812KB, 707x540px
>>155867256
Comedic effect
>>
>>155866619
That's a cute bird.
>>
>>155867115
>comparing Hollywood film studio's budget to a relatively small animation studio in Japan

What's the point?
>>
>>155867256
Most feature animation doesn't look so shitty, but simpsons characters were designed for a television show, and tv animation needs a simple style so that it's cheaper to animate. Anime went the opposite direction, and instead of making simple designs that are cheap to animate, they made detailed designs and animated them less by cutting down the frame rate and using still screens.

This is basic anime 101, how do you not know this?
>>
>>155867356
To illustrate the fact that beautiful animation doesn't have to be expensive, and that hollywood wastes money making garbage.
>>
>>155867115
Wait what the fuck this was the budget? I thought this was how much they earned?

I hope a huge part of that Simpson's budget went to marketing.
>>
>>155867548
That's probably just production budget. A lot of it probably went to voice actors.

Animators in the USA also aren't badly underpaid like in Japan.
>>
>>155866990
Look at me mom, I made a retarded post on /a/ again!!1
>>
>>155867548
simpsons' movie made about $578 mil. I don't think the marketing budget is usually calculated into the production budget.
>>
>>155867614
apparently the Simpsons voice actors make a shit load of money per episode due to the union wage scale.
>>
File: cigarette-groans.png (373KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cigarette-groans.png
373KB, 600x600px
>>155858290
It's about teen love. This makes it inherently bad.
>>
>>155867482
>beautiful animation

But 5 cm/s was mostly a background slideshow. The Simpsons movie had actual animation in it.
>>
>>155867628
It's calculated into the overall budget and when deciding whether the movie was a flop or not.
>>
>>155867621
Listen, I enjoyed End of Evangelion as much as the next guy, but I'm not deluding myself about it. Did you forget all the "fuck Anno" stuff that Anno flashed on screen? That's the work of a petty, insecure man.
>>
>>155867614
Plus it had Tom Hanks in it.
>>
>>155867944
Sorry anon, I think it's your own pettiness making you unable to admit that EoE was a milestone in animation, or rather the culmination of deconstruction and reinvention of the medium that progressed throughout the NGE series. Anno's mental state or motivations for his decisions as a director are completely irrelevant when talking about the influence and change that NGE/EoE brought to anime as a whole.
>>
>>155858290
God dammit, don't put a fucking bait OP for the Kimi no Na Wa thread next time. We can't have discussion like this.
>>
>>155865777
This picture made me laugh more than it should have.
>>
>>155867647
Supposedly they keep upping their requests for their salaries to finally be free of the show's bloated, shambling corpse. But it's just too much of a money maker for Fox so they keep agreeing.
>>
File: 1320123274669.jpg (189KB, 648x2788px) Image search: [Google]
1320123274669.jpg
189KB, 648x2788px
>>155858290
>>155858355
>>
>>155868107

This.

But I understand OP's passion.
>>
>>155858290
Convenient plot devices. Most anons have already mentioned the date thing, but there's also the part where their phones magically erased their diary entries. Fate and time travel are one thing, but fucking tampering with tangible things is just retarded bullshittery.

But ignoring all that, I did enjoy the movie.

>>155866035
Kek.
>>
>>155867067

>What a load of contrarian garbage.
That you for providing an honest introduction to your post.

>>155867148
>>155867181

>the creator makes the greatest possible shitpost about his movie himself
B R A V O S H I N K A I
R
A
V
O
>>
>>155868850
>Fate and time travel are one thing, but fucking tampering with tangible things is just retarded bullshittery.
>gods are able to tamper with literal time but are not allowed to mess with electrons
>>
>>155858290
>it's called 君の名は
>they actually say 君の名前は
>>
>>155869050
It's more about how it stands out in regards to the other things. It's a way for the whole "was it all just a dream" to leak out into the real world, but it feels bit too much. I suppose it could also be tied into how their friends just sort of go along with it, but still. It sticks out because the rest of the movie is actually rather slick in keeping things working together, with Mitsuha and Taki have good reasons to not recognize what's really happening and setting up various small details like the cord and Taki's drawings of Itomi sticking in his mind the most.

Part of the problem is that this is all a way to do body swapping without having to actually deal with the body swapping as a real plot conflict. Body swapping is merely the facilitator to Taki and Mitsuha meeting and how they learn about each others' live and nudge each other a bit. But it's not actually the main conflict, which is the time difference, dream-like loss of memory, and giant space rock, so anything that would actually cause problems for the story is skipped over in a montage or "shinto god fuckery lol."
>>
File: 1492097155035.png (59KB, 231x228px) Image search: [Google]
1492097155035.png
59KB, 231x228px
>>155869086
I walked out of the theater at that point.
>>
>>155869197
As did most people I expect
>>
File: Successful indeed.jpg (177KB, 1280x770px) Image search: [Google]
Successful indeed.jpg
177KB, 1280x770px
>>155858290
Subtle OP.
>>
>>155869086
That bothered the hell out of me too. Fucking dropped.
>>
>>155866389
>Kids sure are clueless amirite

A place getting obliterated by a meteor within the last several years would be perhaps one the most significant news story of modern times.

Think 9/11 - practically every kid knows about it who was alive at that time and older than 4 or 5. There would be memorials and yearly 'minute' silences plus the fact that it would galvanise pretty much the whole world to realize how vulnerable the world is from space elements and work toward space defences.

The movie really doesn't take into consideration how fucking huge an event of a meteor wiping out a town would be on a global level.

It is incredibly inexcusable.
>>
>>155869086
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too but then someone pointed out that 君の名は has the same kana as 君の縄 and suddenly it makes a lot more sense.

Like fucking Japanese pottery.
>>
>>155869519
Ooooh nice catch.
>>
>>155869442
Na, it was just Taki who was clueless about it because of Shinto god meddling.

Just like he forgot about the rope he had which he saw every day he was body swapped and the girl who gave it to him.

The god was clearly interfering to prevent ease of conclusion.
>>
It doesn't really have any flaws, it's pretty much perfect for what it is
>>
>>155869519
>>155869539
Sorry, not kana but same sounding pronunciation, because of course the particle は sounds like わ. But there are differences in pronunciation between the two that it doesn't sound exactly the same, but a Japanese person would immediately notice the double meaning.
>>
>>155869442
9/11 fucking changed the entirely of US politics, not to mention global politics, for the last nearly two decades anon. It's in noway comparable.

Itomori is a more like localized disaster. How many people still know about the places by name being fucked up by like, an oil spill or drinking water pollution that were in the news for one week?
>>
File: Mitsuha (male).jpg (96KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
Mitsuha (male).jpg
96KB, 1334x750px
reminder to watch Mitsuha's cooking show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_HqGOq7oig
>>
File: cafe.webm (195KB, 1374x385px) Image search: [Google]
cafe.webm
195KB, 1374x385px
brb catching a flight to the your name cafe
>>
>>155869623
The Itamori disaster was part of school curriculum by the time Taki started body swapping.
>>
>>155869701
Man that looks delicious.
>>
>>155869623
>Itomori is a more like localized disaster. How many people still know about the places by name being fucked up by like, an oil spill or drinking water pollution that were in the news for one week?
It's a fucking meteor that wiped out a whole village. That's something that has never happened before in history.
>>
>>155865959
>The third panel
Literally /a/.
>>
>>155865663
summer wars is fucking great mate
>>
>>155865959
Post the full thing already.
>>
>>155870145
It was okay, all that CG made it feel like a movie for children. I wish Hosoda would do something for a broader audience, I'm sure he could do it and it would be great. I mean he already did that with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
>>
>>155865829
She grew up to become an idol
>>
File: 116588.webm (375KB, 720x403px) Image search: [Google]
116588.webm
375KB, 720x403px
>Mitsuha's first date cockblocked by Taki
>>
>>155865418
Roll credits.
>>
>>155870885
FUTARI NO AIDA TOORI SUGITA KAZE WA
>>
>>155858290
It's great and it's climax is animated, scored, and directed as one of the best sequences in all of film.

BUT it could have been about 5 minutes shorter it made the neophyte mistake wrapping up all loose ends with a eye rolling final shot.
>>
>>155871243
>wrapping up all loose ends with a eye rolling final shot.
Wait, which shot? The final shot was Taki and Mitsuha finally meeting. You can't cut that out without dramatically changing the emotional ending of the movie. Do you mean the montage shortly before that? I found that acceptable because this had a much larger character cast than is usual for Shinkai movies, so it helps give it that air of a larger world the whole movies was building up. It was the MC's story, but the story involved a lot more people.
>>
>>155858290
It's fucking twilight with animu visuals. Nothing more than a cheesy love story for shitty teenagers. This crap is the reason why anime will never be taken seriously
>>
>>155871402
It should have ended when they passed the on the bridge they had a dejavu but didn't recognize each other. And the dramatic conclusion was the dramatic irony of Tessie and Mitsahu talking about their wedding date while Taki overheard but didn't know them.
>>
Huh did everyone hold off on watching the subbed version or something? So many threads this week with the us theater release
>>
>>155871563
Most people held off watching shitty cam rips.
>>
>>155858290
Reposting thoughts from another thread
It was good, but the fridge logic really starts to hit on the second time you see it.
The whole plot hinges on the fact that neither of them saw the year at any point when they were switching bodies multiple times a week for what they implied was a month or longer. You're telling me they never saw it written on a blackboard at school, on tv, a newspaper, their phones or on some billboard in Tokyo?
And speaking of phones, Mitsuha never questioned that Taki's (not)iphone was a model two years newer than what was out in her time. She's country bumpkin but still, she'd be curious.
And they never called or texted each other at any point until the plot specifically demanded for it, despite it being extremely convenient for them to do so.
All of that kind of shit pushes the movie out of flawless territory for me at least.
>>
>>155871828
>fridge logic
Do you mean dead girl in a refrigerator trope?
>neither of them saw the year
Come on all movies and tv shows are contrived there wouldn't be any fiction without some unbelievable minor contrivance.

you're nitpicking about setting details when the ending was off a bit
>>
>>155871828
>You're telling me they never saw it written on a blackboard at school
Year is never written on the blackboard at school, unless the teacher writes it for some particular reason.

>And speaking of phones, Mitsuha never questioned that Taki's (not)iphone was a model two years newer than what was out in her time. She's country bumpkin but still, she'd be curious.
She's a country bumpkin so would probably write it off as being city availability and is also a girl so probably wouldn't follow model numbers.

>And they never called or texted each other at any point until the plot specifically demanded for it, despite it being extremely convenient for them to do so.
They tried. It never worked which is why they relied on notes.
>>
>>155872151
I doubt it would've changed too much in the end. The fact that it's the movie's big twist with actual plot significance really makes that one point stand out to me though.
Still a fantastic movie.
>>
>>155858685
I agree with the romance part. The I love you came out of almost nowhere.
>>
File: ain't gotta explain shit.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
ain't gotta explain shit.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>155866741
Has anyone made a Musubi variant of this yet?
>>
>>155866967
Yeah, it was incredibly nuanced. Like, we know he got in some sort of scuffle because of that bandage on his face, but he didn't seem like a particularly aggressive person for the rest of the film.
>>
>>155872711
We're shown he doesn't like to let people talk shit when he kicks the table over, which seems to gel with Okudera's discussion of it with Mitsuha!Taki early on. It's just that no one was going to punch Mitsuha as readily as Taki, I guess, so no one got into it with him when he was Mitsuha.

The diary and notebook translations also seem to point to him as being a more outgoing guy and he both notes to himself that Mitsuha doesn't seem to have much friends and to Mitsuha that she should be more bold. And all of this is nice and all, but it still means Taki suffers from Shinkai Male Protagonist syndrome where they don't really have their own personal character conflict. Their character conflict is more tied up with their tragic relationship with their waifu.
>>
>>155871828
I can pretty much guarantee if you aren't actively looking out for it, you can easily go a month without seeing the current year once.
>>
>>155872711
He's very quick-tempered when it comes to dealing with other boys and stranger (particular example is with Mitsuha's dad), and seems to be a chill and very apolegtic person when talking to Mitsuha, her family and friends, and sempai-chan. That does make me wonder if he wanted to be a small town girl just to be more extrovert with his boldness.
>>
>Watched the chinese rip with my wife a while back
>Movie hit me a lot harder than her, felt sad and didn't want to watch anything else for a few days
>Tell her that the movie is coming to our country this month
>She barely even remembers it
>>
>>155872953
Uh oh man. Better start rekindling that Musubi romance.
>>
>>155867148
I wonder if this is Shinkai not wanting to stop making really shitty endings to his movies.
Not even sad ones, just bad ones. This is like the first time the ending is pretty satisfying, even if some wish there was an epilogue.
>>
>>155872899
It's on the home screen of your phone.
You're required to write the year on a bunch of school things.
>>
>>155872898
Taki's conflict is more about how he's unwilling to let the life he's created change. He's so organized and orderly that he's turned his life into a working machine, which is why it frustrates him so much when Mitsuha flirted with Okudera and such. He doesn't want his relationships to change even though, at the time, he really had a crush on Okudera.

Basically he's afraid of what change might bring to his life, so the events of the movie are kind of a forced wake up call to him.
>>
>>155873017
>every Shinkai movie up until now had shitty endings just to ruse you for this film
As painful as the bridge pass by was, them seeing each other on the stairs and then silently walking by again as even more so. Despite it being somewhat certain by then it wouldn't end that way. That would've just been too much.
>>
>>155873132
Would have been much more if, in classic Shinkai fashion, they pass each other on the stairs and never say anything.
I probably would have just killed myself from sadness desu
>>
File: tmp_11830-149207674708126720363.jpg (185KB, 1065x1085px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_11830-149207674708126720363.jpg
185KB, 1065x1085px
>>155871828

This is kina nitpicking really.

They described their body swapping as being dream like, after they woke up they forgot most of the details. They even say the only real clue that they are are is others reactions and their phone diary.

Also is it really that strange for someone in the rural country to have a 3 year old phone. I pretty much used the same galaxy 2 throughout collage.

It's assumed they tried to text/call before. They had the numbers saved in their phonebooks.
>>
>>155873184
Sure, but consider that them passing on the bridge is essentially just the 5cm ending. Having them then see each other on the train, race around trying to find each other, finding each other, then being so nip-beta they just walk on by again without a word would just twisting the knife way too much for even his movies.
>>
>>155873045
Most phones nowadays only shows the month, day and date on the lockscreen by default. Neither of them seems the type to rice their phone. The calendar/diary app not having a year's a bit odd though.
I'm guessing they'd probably be waiting for the swap back for their homework assignments, since they wouldn't want to be doing each other's work for them.
>>
>>155873098
Eh, sure. That does put things more into perspective, like his dedication to track down Itamori without even knowing the name of it. And his friends starting to worry that he's losing it, considering what kind of person he was before.

Still, it's not quite on the same level as Mitsuha's various interpersonal troubles and the whole "shinto magic space rock of death" plot, but I suppose the movie didn't really have room for two things like that.
>>
>>155858290
shallow characters
>>
>>155866990
EoE is better than Kimi no na Wa in every day
>>
>>155867252
>Are you 12?

He might be 12 but you're 10
>>
>>155866946
They were talking for awhile not shown in the film, since Mitsuha told Tessie that Taki's sorry for breaking the bike, which wasn't shown. He also had to tell her what Tessie and Sayaka had setup for the meteor.
>>
>>155873098
>>155873316

To me, it seems like Taki's Tokyo life was kept unspecific because he's meant to represent a majority of the target audience who live in Tokyo and never considered how the rural life is. Even just city folks in general. The film tries to emphasize how the average person needs to realize there is more to life and the world than just sticking to their living style and space. The fact that both Mitsuha and Taki just travelled over to each other's places physically on their own shows that it's never so hard to try seeking beyond your borders.

Essentially, that's why I think Taki's character doesn't spark up on backstory as much as it does on changing himself to be a greater person, even if he does not realize he did.
>>
>>155858290
If it's anything like his other films then it's just another overhyped piece of shit. I've always thought Shikai was rather crap, only good for pretty visuals.
>>
>>155873219
The phone thing was really more about Mitsuha noticing Taki's nice futurephone than the other way around. But yeah, she probably wrote it off as there being newer phones available in the city or something.
And Taki probably assumed Mitsuha would have shit cell reception in the sticks, though calls and texts failing every time should seem a bit more odd to them.
How much they forget when they swap back seems a bit arbitrary at times so I can't really gauge anything off of that.
>>
>>155873570
What don't you like about Shinkai's movies?

I'd try and watch it with an open mind if it's playing near you. Lots of people who didn't care for his previous works loved this one.
>>
>>155873555
>The fact that both Mitsuha and Taki just travelled over to each other's places physically on their own shows that it's never so hard to try seeking beyond your borders.

They only left their spaces once they realized they were in love. Consider that Mitsuha never went to Tokyo before, despite her frustrations and longing to do so, when the whole trip was a few hours by train at most.
>>
>>155873923
Right. They had their personal motivations before, but it was love that pushed them to see each other's town where their other lives. Post-meteor Mitsuha was able to rebuild her life in Tokyo (implied, at least), while Taki wanted to build monuments to the city in case of any crisis. Neither could have happened with much motivation if not for their open-mindedness to the world outside their borders.
>>
>>155873570
I feel like emphasis on establishing character is something this movie has that a lot of Shinkai's previous works lacked. You end up growing to know and like them a lot more than the relatively shallow MCs in his other stuff. Even the side characters are well pretty memorable and developed this time around.
Fixing that one weakness in his writing alone seemed to really do wonders regards to overcoming what was holding back his older works. It's still not perfect, as other anons have pointed out, but it shows he's evolving as a writer.
The double whammy of nice visuals and better writing really makes me hopeful for stuff he'll do in the future.
>>
>>155874199
Also want to add that the use of music was spot on and at times even very thematically correct, especially considering the lyrics, though you'd have to have at least a passing fluency in Japanese to catch that while watching.
>>
>>155859039
I don't like titanic but if you know a thing about how it was filmed, you'd be fine with someone saying it's the best film ever. It is indeed impressive.
>>
>>155859437
Regarding why he made those choices, Your Name is, in fact, largely about the Tohoku earthquake rather than body switching, love, or even his recurring theme of distance (though that is still a key theme).

The suspense he created is a reflection of the terror when friends and loved ones are caught in a disaster, unable to be contacted, not knowing if they are still alive.

Another anon pointed out, the optimistic tone too, is part of a belief that Japan is not hopelessly in decline. The tragedy of the tohoku eathquake showed Japan can, and must, work together to rebuild.
>>
It was fucking boring.

the first 30 minutes is literally just some dickhead moping about on a train, I don't need 24/7 action or whatever to be invested in an anime but give me something to be interested in.
>>
>>155874886
oh shit nvm, I thought the movie we were talking about was 5 cm per second. Disregard this post.
>>
File: 1492098502510.jpg (140KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492098502510.jpg
140KB, 1280x720px
>>155874886
>>155874937
Made me laugh.
>>
>>155864905
It wasn't even radwimps best music BY FAR and it won awards. That was disappointing. Radwimps is best when mixing alternative and rap.
>>
>>155875017
They have better work, but it probably wouldn't fit in too well with the tone of the movie.
As a theatrical score, it's very well done and implemented.
>>
>>155858290
waiting for the BD because i have too much shame to see an anime movie by myself in the middle of the day when everyone is working
>>
File: 1492078522967.jpg (251KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492078522967.jpg
251KB, 1000x1000px
>>155875107
Stop being stupid and go see it now.
>>
>>155875107
I went to see a 7pm showing on a Wednesday evening with friends and the theater was completely packed. Just go for it, anon. You won't feel out of place for going on a weekday. I'm thinking of going to see it again on my own if I have time.
>>
File: mitsuha no reaction.png (67KB, 252x273px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha no reaction.png
67KB, 252x273px
>>155875107
You better watch it in theaters while you still can. Do it for for your own change. Do it for your Mitsuha.
>>
>>155875107
Unless you have a top tier home theater setup, nothing's going to compare. The visuals and sound mixing's amazing. That well placed gong/ping sound effect they chose for when shit hits gave me chills.
If there's any anime movie I'd say is completely worth it to see in theaters, it's probably a Shinkai work, and this is his best one by fucking far.
>>
>>155875107

Say where you live, maybe an anon can see it with you!
>>
I'm honestly jealous of anyone who can still watch it in their hometown. I only managed to get one last screening for my second viewing, and yet I want more.
>>
>>155875238
>Friends went to see it saturday while I'm out of town.
>See it by myself in a theater with only about 10 people.
At least I chatted with some of the people after the movie.
>>
>>155867148
>>155867201
Unpredictable success being scary is not a new phenomenon.

I'll let the venerable Thomas Yorke explain: https://youtu.be/h2GBx1DxBHI?t=258
>>
>>155874681
>That scene with Mitsuha running through town with Sparkle playing.
I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a character.
>>
>>155858290
It has a love triangle.

Wow, that was easy. Your thread is shit, OP.
>>
>>155876030
I was really short of breath during that whole sequence
>>
>>155858290
The time travel makes no sense once you think about it for a goddamn second. How did neither of them ever see the date while bodyswapped?
Contrived bullshit like them forgetting each other's names, and the dude not writing his on her hand.
And the latter portion of the movie was a complete slog because they just drag it on while you're left wondering whether they will or will meet each other again.
Also the entire part where the girl and her friends are trying to warn their town of the metero went on way too long as well.
>>
>>155876089

It doesn't
>>
File: 1472164582332.png (508KB, 611x611px) Image search: [Google]
1472164582332.png
508KB, 611x611px
>>155858290
>they fall in love without ever meeting each other a single time
I haven't seen this movie yet but I already have my doubts. Hopefully the movie makes it believable.
>>
>characters are shallow and you barely know anything more about them at the end of the film which creates an emotional disconnect
>the movie couldn't decide whether it was a film or an amv
>thematically it's like a toned down and childish version of Asano Inio's A Girl on the Shore
>many plot holes and the twist was predictable 15 minutes into the movie
>>
>>155876298
Stop having downs. Yes, it does.
You just don't know what a love triangle is.
>>
>>155876100
Thankfully I went into the movies spoiler free for the most part and really didn't know how this movie was going to end.
I haven't watched a film and really cared about what happened to the characters like this in a while.
>>
>>155867105
This must be bait, there are over a dozen of 90s films that look better than Your Name and EoE is certainly one of them. The Mitsuo Iso fight scene is still considered one of the pinnacle of Japanese animation to this day.
>>
>>155876228

It was like dream, they forgot most of the details when they woke up

The reason they forgot each other's name was explained by the grandma

He was in love

Your opinions on pacing are you're own, but if you're obviously not invested so I can see why you thought it was a slog

>>155876389

It's kinda like that old quote, you'll never know a man until you walk a mile in his shoes
>>
Relies on insert songs rather than narrative to invoke emotions in the viewer.
Really shows Shinkai's mediocrity as a director.
>>
>>155866619
That's one chub bird.
>>
>>155877005
Hot take; music as a narrative/mood device is woefully underused in anime and Your Name was all the better for the use of music.
>>
File: mpv-shot0003.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0003.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
>>155876030
Sparkle was a great choice for that sequence.
That part where the instrumental played while it switching between perspectives was fucking beautiful. Really added an element of scale, wonder and beauty even though you even already know the end result is a tragedy that caused the deaths of hundreds of people.
>>
Did anyone mistake Mitsuha for a lesbian halfway through the movie?

You know, right after she leaves Taki that message saying she wanted to go on that date with Okudera-sempai and moments later it cuts to her being super depressed in her room.

Of course then you eventually find out she's depressed because Taki didn't recognize her.

I wonder if that was an intentional fakeout on Shinkai's part or unintended.
>>
>>155877477
I think it's pretty distracting for the most part. It's one of the reasons why I didn't care for FLCL that much. I'd take a melancholic piano track over a radwimps song any day personally.
>>
>>155877615
Nah, I never got that. I figured out that she set up the date because she wanted to go sightseeing in Tokyo, and thought she could help Taki out with Onodera-senpai while doing it. In the novel, it's mentioned that Mitsuha is the driving force behind trying to get Tessie and Sayaka together, so she probably has a bit of a problem with trying to be a matchmaker of sorts.
>>
>>155877695
>Onodera-senpai
Fuck me, I rewatched Nisekoi last night. I'm an idiot.
>>
>>155877655
I think the shiny upbeat soundtrack perfectly suited the tone and aesthetic of the film, pop music, in all it's optimism and giddy lovesick melodrama, forms a huge part of the backdrop of teen life. Music has the power to capture an emotional state of mind in a handful of notes or words that most traditional scriptwriting can't touch.
>>
Mitsuha should have stayed dead IMO
>>
>>155877509

You seem to be a bit confused,

When she was crying in the mirror is was before she cut her hair / tried to see Taki.

She was just having fun playing matchmaker before, but realized that she had true feeling for Taki, therefor deiced to go to Tokyo to see him (pretty much wanted to crash their date, she even goes to where the date was supposed to start and end to wait for him)
>>
>>155877847
mean for
>>155877615
>>
We don't know much about the two main characters. I still really enjoyed the film, but it was still a flaw that I found.
>>
>>155877899
The only thing I want to know a bit more about is Taki's relationship with his family, but otherwise I was pretty content with what we got. What more stuff were you thinking of?
>>
>>155877775
>Music has the power to capture an emotional state of mind in a handful of notes or words that most traditional scriptwriting can't touch.
Oh I agree. I just personally think it's much better to achieve that through well directed instrumentals rather than hiring a popular band to make a couple songs for you. A directing shortcut, really. Like using swear words to emphasize your point rather than using a more nuanced, fitting word; or using toilet humor in a comedy.
>>
>>155877005
Choosing the right music and the most appropriate time to use it is a talent attributed in part to the director. I could be wrong, but I think Shinkai did music direction for the movie himself. Having great music doesn't mean dick if you don't know when or how to use it effectively, and sometimes even silence is preferable, but it was nailed in this. Both work hand in hand to make a scene great. The music adds subtle emotions that can be compounded by what you see happening on screen and the same goes the other way around.
>>
>>155877976
Radwimps were a popular band brought in no doubt to partially bring publicity to the project but I think they basically nailed it in terms of understanding the mood and dynamics of the movie when it came to composition and Shinkai put the songs in at perfect moments to really send the more melancholy or dramatic moments over the top.
>>
>>155872480
>>155859071
>no romantic development
I would've liked to see more, but that montage by itself did a pretty damn good job. It's a disaster movie first and a romance second, there's no reason to stuff it with unnecessary material that would kill the pacing, even if I would like to see more. The romantic development in the time we had was pretty damn good. You do see the characters gradually warm up to one another, fight, etc. You don't need to hit the generic beats to show convincing characterization.

I certainly felt enough chemistry, at least, especially with the way the date turned out. It's not like the characters fell in love all of a sudden, they struggled with their emotions for a while, which kind of set up the whole Tokyo subplot. Plus, that mountain scene was pretty damn cute.

>>155859437
Not really. This movie, perhaps more than any other of Shinkais, even more so than 5cm and definitely more than Hoshi, was a passion project. He's stated multiple times that after the quake, he wants to make a movie about people fighting, and beating, the odds, rather than a film about characters who deal with defeat and learn to live with loss, since now he feels such a passive attitude is mistaken. Let's not forget this shit has been in the works for 5 years.

And even in that light, this movie is pretty melancholy. The fact they had to wait 8 years, the memory loss, the poetic but abrupt ending - you wouldn't see any of that gloomy stuff in a REAL crowd pleaser. Look at summer wars, that had a big bombastic finale and a conclusive ending.

As for now showing the evacuation, I liked that fact. The climax is Mitsuha showing up, and the meteor, the unstoppable force of nature. We don't need to see how people react because the villain isn't the meteor. The comet is rather beautiful in a way. If they showed the evacuation it would just shift the tension from being about convincing the father and such, to avoiding the meteor. This isn't Twister, you know.
>>
>>155858290
This may just be my own shit taste, but I honestly didn't care about a single character until the scene on the mountain. I felt Taki had almost no characterization for the first half of the movie and honestly seemed little more that a faceless insert and by the time he actually got some development it was too late in the movie for me to care. Mitsuha's development was definitely better.
>>
>>155877962
Shinkai seems to REALLY like to have his protagonists raised by single dads doesn't he?

I mean, single parents are a popular cliche in general because they cut down the amount of characters you need to develop but usually single moms are overwhelmingly more common in anime.
>>
>>155878327
Taki was too ikemen to be a faceless self insert.
>>
>>155876389
Right, because this never happens in real life.
>>
>>155878327
>implying
I dunno, I think the movie does a pretty good job of balancing things out. Taki definitely gets more focus than Mitsuha past the halfway point, but there's a lot of subtle characterization earlier on too. Everything from the drawings and notes, his mannerisms as Mitsuha and even that patch on his face in the first few scenes, you can get a good idea of what kind of person he is.

That's one of the nice things about the body swap cliche. It lets you see their personalities in a vacuum. Too often it's just a lazy plot device to jam some fetishes in, but here it works out pretty well as a tool for development.
>>
>>155878041
True, but the band had a huge part in it. I'm not a huge fan of Radwimps, I won't be after the music, but in this film they did an excellent job. The final scene wasn't even storyboarded until the song was finished, and Shinkai built it like a music video

>>155877509
Same as the earthquake, the film is largely about the terror and beauty and inevitability of nature.
>>
File: mpv-shot0005.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0005.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>>155878238
>The comet is rather beautiful in a way. If they showed the evacuation it would just shift the tension from being about convincing the father and such, to avoiding the meteor.
That's actually precisely why I liked the scene so much. The whole scene could've just as easily been paired with a cheesy high tension track and yelling, but it it wasn't.
It was an instrumental of Sparkle, a relatively calming pop ballad used as the prelude to the incoming disaster.
The comet was always meant to be seen as something beautiful.
>>
>>155859369
IQ doesn't matter if you're egocentric and think that you are more than you really are. That leads you to overconfidence, and overconfidence is one of the worst enemies of intelligence
>>
>>155878327
This >>155877899 may have been why I felt like this, I know your not going to get a full backstory for every character in a 110 minute movie but I feel Taki and Mitsuha really didn't know each other or care about each other just from swapping bodies. Sure they care about each other enough to keep their lives together and try and help each other when they swap but from the way I saw it they didn't really learn about each other. Sure you can see the subtleties about who they were from things like Taki's drawings and Mitsuha's family life, but there's not really any motion towards a romantic relation during the body swapping part.
>>
>>155871519
While I think that would effectively work, I can't say that i didn't enjoy the frantic final scene when they saw each other on the train and finally found each other. The whole composition really worked for me. and I think an ending like that would be too much like Byousoku 5 Centimeter.. though i think the movie didn't develop the romance and that feel of being apart enough for the ending to have it's intended impact
>>
>>155877005
>>155877655
>>155877976
That's a little silly honestly. Music can often contain more narrative information than the visuals. And insert songs are nothing new. Utena did a fantastic job with that shit too, and something like Giant Robo is 90% soundtrack.

I think this movie is just dense as shit with narrative. A lot of attention was paid to detail and everything from body language and animation and dialogue to the soundtrack and lighting choices is inundated with characterization. I particularly like how the shots of the sliding doors in Mitshua's town are used to Parallel the sliding train doors in Tokyo. That was just really damn clever.
>>
>>155858290
it's not longer
>>
File: 1404760634693.png (175KB, 353x419px) Image search: [Google]
1404760634693.png
175KB, 353x419px
I don't even know the story/plot I just want to watch it because it's breaking so many records and has huge positive words by the majority.
>>
>>155878775
BONG GET YE GONE
BONG GET YE GONE
>>
>>155878680
I'm just saying that simple can convey more meaning, and inserting full length songs kind of crams "meaning" down the viewers throat.
I like it in mecha or tokusatsu since they tend to have a huge abundance of meaningless action but in a character driven show when you can convey it in a more natural way it just comes off as lazy to me.
>>
>>155878327
>>155878626
I'm going to append these two posts by saying that I really did like the movie, especially for it's visuals and directing I just really did feel the characterization and relationship development in the first half was strange to me and it's quite possible a lot of it went over my head. The second half I thought was much much better and honestly is what made the movie for me.
>>
File: 37b.png (471KB, 1100x1142px) Image search: [Google]
37b.png
471KB, 1100x1142px
Is it good? Yes. Is it overrated as fuck? Yes.

Don't get me wrong I liked it but all the hype around is just stupid. The "drama" in the second half seemed forced as fuck.
>>
>>155879030
Watch it again, it always gets better on rewatch. There's a lot of subtle stuff that you can easily miss if you're not paying attention that tells you a lot about the characters, like how Taki always wears his bracelet but Taki(mitsuha) never does. But then again, even the first time around I thought the development was perfectly fine, and I've seen literally thousands of anime and movies. Obviously you're not going to get everything in, but with the stuff we're shown you get a pretty good sense of who the characters are and what they're into. Taki's career choice was never once mentioned in the movie, but you know obviously he's a landscape architect.

>>155878902
Eh, that's a stretch. What, musicals are "unnatural" now?

The only song I'd say was kind of odd was the opening, because it felt sort of unnecessary, but even then that's not terribly bad, and it does what an opening is supposed to do, get you excited for the movie. Other than that, there's only three insert songs. One is a montage. Sparkle was honestly pretty appropriate, and reinforced the theme of the beautiful comet, despite the plot driving into ever more desperate and tense moments. Reminds me of what Anno does with his music, and I'd hardly say something like Who will know or FALLING DOWN is emotionally manipulative when it's there to contrast with the scene's tone. As for the ending song, yeah it's kind of cheesy but I was so invested at that point I couldn't help but smile. Also, if you know Japanese, the lyrics are really cute and plot-relevant.

I mean, it's not a perfect film, but there's nothing wrong with the insert songs, and Radwimps did ALL the music. There are plenty of emotionally resonant and subtle instrumental pieces throughout, like the Mountaintop theme or Mitsuha's theme, that were arguably more powerful than the vocal pieces. The insert songs were an interesting addition, and making sung songs is probably what Radwimps are most comfortable doing anyways.
>>
>>155879317
sorry, could you stop swearing please
>>
File: 658234289678324.jpg (395KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
658234289678324.jpg
395KB, 1280x720px
>>155879445
Sorry
>>
>>155879317
This will probably be the majority opinion once the BD comes out and the majority of people here watch it.
>>
>>155879317
Honestly, there wasn't that much drama in the movie. The romantic thing is quickly resolved and it's more a disaster movie about saving people than it is a straight romance, even if it has a nice romantic backbone. The most drama there was in Kimi no Na Wa was with the father, and even then that's resolved fairly elegantly. No long argument, no emotionally charged shouting, just Mitsuha awkwardly marching up to his table and then we cut to the comet. That's all the emotional climax you need, and I like how restrained Shinkai is this time. By cutting out some of these moments the movie feels more cohesive and impactful.

I dunno, I've seen many anime movies and this honestly ranks up there. Maybe it's just me, I can relate to it and it really threw me for a loop, making me look at my life and reconsider things. I haven't been this emotionally affected by anime in a hell of a long time. I'd even argue it's better than shit like Spirited Away, though probably not as good as Cagliostro or Honey Mayo.
>>
>>155879537
Doubt it. The majority opinion will be either "It's great" or "It sucks cock." The contrarians and trolls naturally balance people who enjoy the movie. /a/ is very rarely neutral on a show.
>>
>>155879598
Generally people with no strong feelings for something are the most quiet. That's why threads always seem so polarized.
>>
>>155879317
I feel like it had great ideas and a great concept that was severely limited by the constraints of a 110 minute runtime. It's harder than it seems to build a convincing onscreen relationship in that time between introducing the whole switch concept, providing context for the mystical elements, while progressing the overall plot.
For what it's worth though, it managed to tell a beautiful story within that time.
If I had a choice between seeing this as a movie or developed over a 2 cour anime, I feel like I'd probably still go with the movie.
>>
File: 60353958_p0.jpg (993KB, 1000x1510px) Image search: [Google]
60353958_p0.jpg
993KB, 1000x1510px
>>155879598

I feel its the abrasion comes from the 11/10 anime of the year crowd vs the 7/10 crowd.

Just the fact that it's had a constant treads hitting the bump limit this week shows that most people are enjoying it / want to talk about it.
>>
>>155879935
The romance was fine, really. I felt more for the characters than I did in most 2-cour anime. The body swap shit is really minimal, and pretty much only exists to set things up for the rest of the movie. That said, even then, the amount of character development and exposition we get in the first half is more than across 6 episodes of an anime, and the characters themselves are far more nuanced and interesting than most TV-anime faire. Something as simple as the titgrab joke would be repeated ad nauseam in a TV anime, but here you see it just enough to be fresh and funny every time, with a neat variation in each case.
>>
>>155880076
Honestly, this goes beyond anime of the year. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually extremely critical. I haven't seen an anime I'd even call "good" in like 3 years. Well, maybe LWA, but that's more because it reminds me of 70s Osamu Dezaki shows than any objective quality, and I'd say Kimi no Na Wa is one of the best anime movies ever made, probably top 10. The Body swap shit is cheesy but the meditation on disaster and fate, and the way it reflects on the earthquake, is really introspective. Combine that with stellar storytelling, music, and FAR better animation than I expect from a Shinkai film - to the extent that the obnoxious rotoscoping didn't even bother me that much - and you have AOTYAY material.

Obviously it has plenty of flaws, but when it hits high it hits REALLY high, and its lows are never terribly distracting.
>>
>>155879935
I've heard a lot of people say this and I don't buy it, I think the fact that it's so frantic and fleeting and ultimately finite only adds to the excited but melancholic it hoists upon the viewer. If it overstayed it's welcome it would torpedo it's emotional weight, I think.
>>
>>155880219

completely agree with you.

just the fact that several anon have opened up in these threads and shared with us how deeply this movie has moved them and made them be introspective of their lives i think is just amazing, there's something a bit more to this film than the regular film, it really sounds like its helped people.

every film has flaws, but the whole 3rd act just hits it out of the pack and makes it easily my favorite movie.
>>
>>155879935
It's very much like a daydream, or like adolescence, in that regard. Gone before you know it. Totally in-sync with the content and themes of the film. Makes watching as someone in the post-teenage years afterglow all the more painful and at the same time wonderful.
>>
>>155858290
The beginning was way too underdeveloped. They didn't even show the first swap, so there were various unexplained parts (i.e. taki's face bandage)

Felt like they had to rush the beginning or something
>>
>>155875017
>rap
>making anything better
Keywords: full, go, never, retard
>>
>>155881286
He cut himself shaving, or got in a fight, who gives a shit
This is why I could never make movies, moviegoers are fucking retards who need every possible ambiguity laid out in front of them in explicit detail
>>
>>155880637
There was an interview someone linked in one of these threads where Shinkai said he deliberately made the movie frantic and fleeting as you said so that the young teenage viewers wouldn't have a chance to check their phones or disengage from the movie. He wanted them focused on it.
>>
>>155875107
I went alone to a Wednesday 11 AM screening, no fucks given. Just me, three older guys, and an Asian couple in the theatre, everyone in their own cozy corner of the audience. No dudebros munching popcorn or negroes laughing at everything.

Literally couldn't have a better cinema experience than that.
>>
>>155881379
Well I've been in a lot of movies where I've seen people pull phones out, not in Your Name though. People were pretty enraptured from beginning to end, so I guess he succeeded there.
>>
>>155881286

the bandage was just to show he was hot tempered, he got into a fight according to okudera
>>
>>155881379
The first half hops along at a decent clip and slowly ratchets up the pace so that by the time the final third comes around it has all the tension and suspense of any high-speed chase or heist sequence I've seen on film. It's really well done and totally sucks you in, not once did I feel like it left me behind or took a turn that resulted in me having to retrace my steps to re-sync with the narrative. Shinkai's never done storytelling like that before so for him to basically knock it out of the park on his first try is a testament to his talent as a writer and director.
>>
>>155880652
This.
I'm at a point where I'm pretty fucking jaded when it comes to watching shit these days. Haven't really felt like I've enjoyed a show beyond just the shit posting fare for a while. I'm not too much of a film buff so I can't really speak for it based on merits that make it an "objectively" good or bad movie. What I did get though, was a truly and genuie moving experience. I'm surprised how much I was driven to like the characters, the setting and the ideas shown. It may not be an 10/10 to the book and that anyone considering it a flawless masterpiece is dumb as fuck considering its obvious weak points, but fuck, it did something right that I haven't seen for quite some time.
>>
>>155881496
He's been shown to be quick-tempered in the film as well, like the scene where he went aggressive on Mayor daddy. We just didn't get to see too much of that side because of his calmness with Mitsuha.
>>
File: 1492038645283.jpg (1MB, 2267x2338px) Image search: [Google]
1492038645283.jpg
1MB, 2267x2338px
Well fuck, off to see this movie again for the 4th time.
>>
>>155881583
I kind of wish we got to see full a day in the life of Taki!Mitsuha. They teased it so hard throughout the movie.
>>
>>155869940

moe, gonna die, etc.
>>
File: shameless.png (235KB, 625x604px) Image search: [Google]
shameless.png
235KB, 625x604px
>>155875107
I've done this 3 times already and am seriously considering seeing it again tonight during, what I imagine to be, peak time.
>>
>>155876389
They now both know eachother closer than two humans ever possibly could. They shared bodies before initiating contact with eachother, would you not fall in love?
>>
File: chimp.jpg (18KB, 299x383px) Image search: [Google]
chimp.jpg
18KB, 299x383px
Date or Theme of Mitsuha?
>>
File: mitsuha sky.jpg (595KB, 2560x1441px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha sky.jpg
595KB, 2560x1441px
>>155882257
It's not necessarily that switching bodies made them love each through a transcendental means of knowing each other, but rather that they know how each other feels about their other's lifestyle and their own. They moderately change each other's lifestyle bit-by-bit to be better (ex: Taki making Mitsuha look bold) and they can't think of a better way to thank each other when they never actually met. The crisis made them show off both the gifts they gained from each other and their own will to change (ex: Mitsuha actually becomes bold) to show they have changed both their lives together. That's the kind of love you can get from taking action for yourself and others, even without bodyswitch magic.
>>
I gave this movie a 10/10 because of the emotions I got from it and it was just such a special feeling for me. It's hard for me to even explain it. I'm aware of the flaws but it's not enough to affect the experience I had with it but only wanting more out of this masterpiece.
>>
>>155882454
I think the body switching was incredibly important, though. Because of it, they were both put in very vulnerable situations, and in order to get out to the other end safely, they had to pretty much open up to one another in order to get through the day. So being able to reveal your true feelings and motivations (even if it was simply in regards to their daily lives) to someone like that is sure to make for a powerful bond after.
>>
I think the reason why I like Mitsuha's theme so much is because it reminds me of the Sextet from Cloud Atlas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdiLxyGH8Lg
>>
File: meteor drop.png (1000KB, 1113x623px) Image search: [Google]
meteor drop.png
1000KB, 1113x623px
>that sheer booming sound in the theater room
>the entire scope of the fall
>the debris causing massive explosions
>the gong sound right after as it shuts to black screen

There is no reason to NOT watch this in theaters, guys.
>>
>>155882645
That gong alone is worth the ticket.
Fucking chills, man.
>>
File: 1471224844517.jpg (120KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
1471224844517.jpg
120KB, 392x495px
>>155864361
I know man I hadn't heard anything about it because we were gone for 7 months if I had know how awesome it was going to be I would of waited.
>>
>>155882645
>>155882686
Absolutely, it just digs right into you.
>>
File: YAMERO.jpg (133KB, 444x453px) Image search: [Google]
YAMERO.jpg
133KB, 444x453px
>yfw the screen went black after we saw Yotsuha grown up
>>
I'm gonna be super fucking nitpicky right now, and it's only because I've rewatched that final scene dozens of times now. I really wish the lines after they saw each other was done in unison.
>>
>>155882997
I think it was in the dub?
>>
>>155883031
Nah, I just saw it dubbed last night and it was done just like the sub.
>>
It looks rather generic for a feature film by a revered director. It's lacking visual flair.
>>
>>155858290
The panty shots felt dumb and forced.

I usually don't mind fanservice in the slightest, especially not when it's done in a way that actually contributes something such as the boob squeezing, which added an element of comedy and character development, but christ, the panty shots contributed absolutely nothing and felt out of place in such a large-scale movie like this.

Other than that, it was great.
>>
>>155883068
Ah, okay it was a few days ago that I saw the dub but I thought it was.
>>
>>155881663
>Mitsuha and Taki have three girls.jpg

Actually come to think of it since the town was leveled does Mitsuha's family just abandon their shrine duties?
>>
File: mitsuha lewds.png (640KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha lewds.png
640KB, 1280x720px
>>155883204
There's only like one panty shot though. Even the scene where Mitsuha (Taki inside) opened her legs didn't show it.
>>
>>155883204
I thought they were pretty subtle. The only one I really caught was the one on the bike, and I only really noticed on my second watch.
>>
>>155883229
The body of their god still exists though. They probably just brought their traditions along with them to the city.
>>
>>155882251
I'm with you anon. Really considering going again.
>>
>>155883263
There was at least one during the climax, of all places, it was really puzzling decision to have that there.
>>
>>155882997
Just watched the sub ending, you're talking about the "can I ask you your name" part? It sounds to me like they're saying it together.
>>
>>155883390
When Mitsuha was tumbling around? It makes perfect sense in the scene, Mitsuha is falling and rolling down a hill in a god damn skirt, yeah you're gonna see something for a split second.
>>
>>155869586

From what I've generally observed, "君の名前は" is the more commonly used phrase anyway, but would have made for a clunkier title.
>>
>>155883452
Was there even one there? They did a pretty good job hiding it then. I was too invested in the plot at that point.
>>
>>155883263
I was more referring to the one on when Mitsuha's on the bike.
>>155883296
That's the one I meant and probably the only one that actually annoyed me.

The movie obviously tried to appeal to normal people, that bike panty shot just kind of cemented the idea that anime is for weird people who masturbate to drawings.

...which might be true depending on who you ask, but it felt like this movie was trying to change that, you know? Then just that bike panty shot came and boom, nope.

Maybe I'm just autistic.
>>
File: 1489880463968.png (180KB, 358x459px) Image search: [Google]
1489880463968.png
180KB, 358x459px
>mfw i didn't partake in any shitposting or threads in general and i don't browse MAL so i have no idea how this movie is rated by autist faggots

Romance between them needed slightly more time, otherwise it was a solid movie that after 6 months i can still remember vividly. Makes it better than 90% of things ever made.

Dunno why people get so mad or wank it off so desperately.
>>
>>155883529
Honestly, I doubt the majority of people noticed. I'm used to seeing this shit everywhere and even I didn't catch it the first time through.
>>
>>155883527
Yeah she does a somersault while she's rolling down the hill.
>>
File: mitsuha disdain.jpg (159KB, 1957x1091px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha disdain.jpg
159KB, 1957x1091px
>>155883529
Only notable fetish that gets people shitposting is the rice-chewed sake, which I think Shinkai admitted to be his intentional guilty pleasure for this film.

Also, whoever faps to anything Kimi no Na wa-related needs to rethink his life.
>>
>>155869701
2smug4me
>>
>>155858290
You won't be able to see it in high quality for 6 months.
>>
File: 1458720070248.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1458720070248.png
28KB, 186x208px
>there was a panty shot in it.

HOW HAVE I NOT NOTICED AFTER 3 WATCHES.

I was even alert for that shit because i saw it with friends when it released.
>>
>>155871828

It was less than a month. The story starts in early September 2013 for Mitsuha and the meteor impact was October 4, 2013, but they stopped swapping before that happened, probably around October 1 or so.

Mitsuha also has an anachronistically new-model iPhone; she has a 5S which was released in Japan in late September 2013. Taki has an iPhone 6 or 6S, but Mitsuha never struck me as the type to obsess over phone models so I doubt she'd have really cared or have just attributed it to those futuristic city people having nicer things than the people in the sticks.
>>
>>155883631
The loudest people with polar extreme opinions are almost always in a minority.
Most people would be like you and consider it a very good movie. It's getting attention because it's much better than most other anime in recent memory, but it's definitely not a flawless masterpiece like MAL would want you to believe.
>>155883647
Yeah, I was way more concerned over how hard she was hitting the ground than a panty shot.
>>
>>155873045

I thought of that too but then I checked my phone and it's not on the home screen. It's also not on my iPod's screen, which is running the same version of iOS Mitsuha should have had available.
>>
It had two OPs for some reason.

Seriously, just cut the first OP. It had nothing worthwhile in it, other than the main characters wistfully looking out of windows while music plays.
>>
>>155883834
Isn't it a a good thing if a movie keeps you interested enough in its plot that you miss shit like panty shots?
>>
Can someone tell me why Taki was so smug and bold in Mitsuha's body?
>>
>>155883888
She doesn't have a computer, so I assume she saved up and went to Tokyo to buy the latest model slightly before the start of the film.
>>
>funimation mentions the movie spurred a proposal in one of their screenings

I'm starting to think that they are bragging about this. Also is it just me but are they really pushing for advertising through word of mouth
>>
>>155884189
>Also is it just me but are they really pushing for advertising through word of mouth
its the cheapest form of advertising so this is sadly no surprise
>>
>>155884113
I'd be the smuggest motherfucker in the world if I became a cute girl overnight too.
>>
>>155883953
I was quite surprised at how effective the action in it was, i mean sure meteor is about to murder people etc but a great credit of the film was how intense it was just having someone roll down a hill.

Who knew all it took for audience investment in action was stakes and characters you like instead of 200 million dollars worth of CGI.

Although i'd not be against a 200 million dollar 2D animated film, let madhouse shit out a technical masterpiece or something.
>>
>>155884113
She was such a semen demon like that.
I'm kind of glad she didn't get more screentime. It would've been pretty distracting.
>>
Exessive drama

No one would fucking climb a mountain with no preperation alone on a rainy day for some bitch they known for like a few months
>>
>>155858290
>>155858355

>create a cancerous meme
>it turns into a real animu

>and it wasnt bad
>>
>>155884113
Same reason you shitpost on 4chan. He probably didn't really perceive any consequences to his actions.

>>155884189
Seems like it, yeah, which annoys me. Some proper attempt at marketing would have done this movie wonders.
>>
>>155884377
They were switching bodies and living each other's lives constantly due to some mystic japanese voodoo bullshit. I think their circumstances are a bit too different to be considered from a normal perspective.
>>
that knk shit made by that moeshit studio was a lot better than this
>>
>>155884377
Kill yourself
>>
>>155883755
>tfw reading doujins not because you want to fap, but because you want to see just a bit more of the characters you've grown to love.
Help, I don't like this feeling at all.
>>
>>155884502
yeah for like months and then it stopped, normal people would have been interested for a while but not go on a suicidal walk on a mountain, film was ruined by this hamfisted drama
>>
File: 823.jpg (43KB, 600x605px) Image search: [Google]
823.jpg
43KB, 600x605px
>>155866619
>>155866741

>not knowing what alternative world lines are
>implying they didn't' swap world lines/bodies

>implying the dude's world line wasn't 3 years ahead of the gril's world line

>implying the ending wasn't him switching world lines to one where the gril doesn't get shrek'd

Common faggots git gud.
>>
>>155884658
Well he did just find out the girl he was switching bodies with has actually been dead for 3 years.
I feel like that's' something that'd bug you for the rest of your life if you let it go without closure.
>>
>>155884645
I feel that feel my friend.
>>
>>155884502
>>155884581
Not that anon but I kind of agree.
I mean sure they knew a little about each other by literally walking in each other's shoes, but aside from that all they knew about each other was from texts/journal entries.
They were complete strangers too each other.
In my honest opinion they fell in love way too easily, and I can see why Shinkai got the "virgin criticism" directed at him because no two people fall in love that easily over walls of text.
>>
>>155883755
Impossible to avoid fapping to this for me. Body swapping/gb tones are too hot.
>>
>>155884747
yeah it would bug me

Doesn't mean i plan to get myself killed to find out
>>
File: 1491770699903.jpg (57KB, 818x750px) Image search: [Google]
1491770699903.jpg
57KB, 818x750px
>>155884789
Online relationships are a thing, dude.
>>
File: japan-population-pyramid-2014.gif (63KB, 610x425px) Image search: [Google]
japan-population-pyramid-2014.gif
63KB, 610x425px
>>155858290

>Name a problem with this movie

This movie is brilliantly designed for 35-years-old adults that never watch anime (the majority of japanese population) and only care about the drama.

The "problem" of it is that a) it's well directed ), the pacing is great, the character design are great, it has a great score and it's one of those films that give you a nostalgic feeling of those innocent childhood days when you had big dreams and tried to strive for them; Finally finding the strength to accept that even though things didn't turn out as they wanted, they could still find happiness.
>>
>>155880652
Same, This has become one of my favorite movies now and I don''t like to make new favorites of anything very often.
Didn't make me cry though, only animated film to ever do that to me was The Iron Giant.
>>
File: 1475520123630.jpg (186KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1475520123630.jpg
186KB, 1080x1440px
>>155884990
Yeah... but how often do those work out?
Even after sharing your pictures what more can you do to instill trust and true love?
The thing is they didn't even discuss or take the steps in order to establish the fact that the two were falling for each other. Up until she was killed by the meteorite all they did was give each other "body rules," tell each other about their days, and bicker.
There was no
>"You know... I'm starting to like you."
>"I think I'm in love with you."
>"I think you're very handsome/beautiful."
Nothing along those line. Nothing to get a potential relationship going.
I agree with you though, online dating is a thing, dating through role play is a thing, finding a girlfriend/boyfriend over the internet is a thing, but Mitsuha and Taki didn't even put any effort into conceding the fact that they may be falling for the other person.
>>
>>155858685
seeing the red string of fate is all you need tbqh
>>
>>155884789
Well they do know what the other looks like from switching so maybe they both liked what they saw?
They're high schoolers. Some of them probably rush into relationships for less.
The relationship may seem a bit superficial from and outsider's perspective when you're older, but from their perspective it probably means a lot more. Enough to justify their actions in the movie anyway. Hormones make you do weird shit, man.
>>
>>155885296
>Nothing along those line. Nothing to get a potential relationship going.
They fucking confessed at the climax of the film you mongoloid.
The actual romantic relationship can start after they're actually reunited at the end of the movie.
And you grossly underestimate how easily teenagers can end up crushing on each other.
>>
>>155879935

I think it hits harder as a movie than it would as a longer anime. It pulls you in, shows you these characters, and then hits you with the climax before anything else can get in the way. By the time you reach the end, you've been solely focused on these characters for an hour and a half, which is much more than you'd get in a long two-season run where you'd be juggling other shows and stuff and only coming back to these characters once a week.
>>
>>155885296
>"You know... I'm starting to like you."
>"I think I'm in love with you."
>"I think you're very handsome/beautiful."
Not everyone is as explicit or overt, and I'm speaking from experience. I think the fact that they were occupying each-other's physical beings for literally days at a time is obviously going to establish a certain degree of intimacy or connection.
>>
>>155885296
>what more can you do to instill trust and true love
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate
>>
>>155858290
It's probably the most overrated anime movie ever made.
>>
>>155885643
already? dang
>>
>>155883263
I guess it'd be sad to see such a long tradition have to die off like that.

I wonder if the grandma was alive at the end of the movie after a few years had passed. I like to think she'd say Taki seemed familiar when they would get introduced to one another.
>>
>>155885459
Yeah. I feel like one part of what's making the movie memorable is because of it's likable characters, coupled with its brevity. It finished leaving you wanting to see more of the characters, and a bit melancholic that you'll never see them again.
>>
>>155883399
No, I'm talking about the line after they see each other on the train.
>>
>>155885689
We made it 400 posts on /a/. That's' pretty impressive.
>>
>>155885643
you're thinking of spirited away
>>
>>155885756
On the stairs?
>>
>>155884921
Why are you assuming the walk up a mountain would be suicide? It was just rain.
>>
>>155885883
No, I'm talking about the line that literally happened immediately after seeing each other on the train. What aren't you understanding?
>>
>>155885935
>climbing a mountain
>during a thunderstorm
You don't understand just how dangerous that is, anon.
>>
File: 11427.webm (630KB, 720x403px) Image search: [Google]
11427.webm
630KB, 720x403px
>>155885727
possibly, japanese people do get very old
>>
>>155885993

>its wet
>implying you just slip off the mountain
>>
>>155885993
It wasn't particularly steep.
>>
>that bittersweet feel when the theaters near me extended the view, but the magic will wear off soon, and I'll be stuck waiting for the official BD release out of respect.
>>
>>155885980
Ah I'm retarded, finally found the scene. Yeah I agree.
>>
>>155885993
>t. never been outside
>>
>>155886045
Lightning follows the path of least reisistancec. You're going to be one of the tallest points in your immediate area on a mountain, which is already tall to begin with. That's just asking to get fucked.
Getting struck by lighting is actually a real threat to hikers, just go check some wilderness survival guides or some innawoods threads on /k/.
>>
>>155858290
>Name a problem with this movie without memeing once.
There aren't BDs out.
>>
>>155884140

The latest model would have been the iPhone 5, but she has a 5S running iOS 7 from the start. The 5S didn't go on sale until September 20, 2013, but she has one well before that (at least September 12). iOS 7 wasn't released until September 18, and it's obvious she has it because it's the one that totally revamped the interface to its current look with the flat colors rather than the old textured appearance.
>>
>>155885862
Spirited Away is way better than Your Mame.
>>
>want to rewatch and fap to the scenery
>still no fucking BDs
>>
What do you guys think Shinkai's next work will be about?
Any guesses?
>>
File: alternative solution.jpg (173KB, 1280x1831px) Image search: [Google]
alternative solution.jpg
173KB, 1280x1831px
>>155884645
I permit reading doujins just to see artist's interpretations of their epilogues, but just don't fap. So far a few of them are really cute and not too disturbing, but so many are still not translated. I'm hoping to see more for next Comiket.

>>155884842
Take a deep breathe and rethink yourself, friend. Do not disgrace the Mitsuha.
>>
>>155885993

I have literally spent a night in nothing but a sleeping bag on a mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm, wearing nothing but a T-shirt and shorts and having nothing with me but that sleeping bag and a tarp (no food, water, rain gear, etc.).

It sucked and I obviously didn't get any sleep. But it was hardly life threatening.
>>
>>155886738
You were probably lying down and in cover. The real danger's when you're above the treeline, out in the open, and you're the tallest point for a couple hundred feet, in which case you're effectively a literal lightningrod.
>>
>>155886518
I'm curious as to how. They are two completely different films looking to do very different things. What's your point?
>>
>>155884921
Well that's why the musubi chose Taki and not you.
>>
>>155858290
the comet should have caused a tsunami that would have wiped out the school.
>>
Wasn't as good as everyone said it was.
>>
>recently moved to a different country
>don't know anybody here
>look at newspaper
>your name on cinemas, only one local shoeing, final showing.
>fuckit go alone to a romance anime movie
>just got home

It was nice, not a masterpiece but entertaining and visually pleasing >that pastel color shrine scene.
The romance was nice but low key, since they only actually met for 5 mins. I think it needed an epilogue where whe see them dating and truly falling in love. And the ending was kinda abrupt. I wanted more
The magically forgetting each others name was retarded.
>>
just saw it for the second time, been posting about my experience in the last couple threads. it did hit me harder this time, although no tears were shed. still fantastic and still leaves me fucked up afterwards. friends i went with really enjoyed it too.
>>
>>155886298

Well faganon, maybe the MC just wanted his alternate world line waifu so badly that he took that risk.
>>
>>155886817

I was at the edge of a field, but not under cover. The tarp was under me to keep the mud out, not over me to keep the rain out (had to choose between just being wet vs. being wet and muddy).

In any event, in Taki's case it's not relevant until he reaches the summit, since he's under cover while hiking up the mountain. And being a city boy, I doubt he knew anything about the practical danger of being in a thunderstorm in an exposed location; it was just an annoyance to him.

It may also be worth noting that not a single crack of thunder can be heard after he leaves the cave (where he ate the onigiri) all the way up to the time he reaches the summit and enters the hidden shrine, so he may have simply taken shelter to wait out the lightning and only continued his hike after that.
>>
File: 1476411667433.png (112KB, 359x393px) Image search: [Google]
1476411667433.png
112KB, 359x393px
>>155887081
I wish I had friends to go and see it with...
I'm a little shy when it comes to seeing movies alone, more so because it's anime.
>>
I've said this in a previous thread, and I know it's cliche as fuck these days, but I would have loved to have the credits be full of photographs about the two of them and their daily lives (both before and after finally reuniting).
>>
>>155886817
Taki waited out the thunder under the rock.
>>
>>155887143
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm >>155884747 this anon.
I'm just pointing out that going hiking in the mountains during a thunderstorm isn't as risk free as a lot of you seem to think.
>>
>>155887197

good point, forgot about that
>>
The part on the mountain where they meet each other cause of some dumb "it's twilight so strange things can happen" thing felt really forced. And then she disappears seconds later, for no reason.
>>
>>155886844
Exactly. One of them has actual depth, the other one is a cheap romance movie that is surprisingly way more popular with lonely virgin guys than it is with females.
>>
>>155887323
Well they needed to meet somehow, otherwise Taki couldn't have told Mitsuha about the plan.
If the just swapped back, that would've left a huge plothole.
>>
>>155887352
>i dont want films to be more simplistic and tell them the story upfront to tug emotions
>it needs to be fucking symbolism and no hand holding
I wish people like this would seriously fuck off and stop this shit.
>>
>>155887323

>be spoopy ghost gril
>during twilight
>appear
>twilight over
>disappears
>>
>>155886237
I'm at that feel. I wanted to rewatch it the past 3 days but never felt like going back to the theater.
>>
>>155887323
It's Musubi, I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>155887323
The movie tells you that spooky shinto shit is real, why is it then surprising that spooky shinto shit happens?
>>
File: ygzg317syilx.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
ygzg317syilx.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>155887323
>>155887456
>Appropriately, as god of the dusk, Astraeus married Eos, goddess of the dawn. Together as nightfall and daybreak they produced many children who are associated with what occurs in the sky during twilight.
>Mitsuha and Taki are Greek gods
Shinkai u madman
>>
>>155883834
when mitsuha (taki) is biking to the body of the god, you can barely see her/his panties
>>
Honestly, she was kinda unattractive too.

He just felt bad about touching her breasts and masturbating so much while in her body.
>>
File: smug_mitsuha.jpg (19KB, 266x259px) Image search: [Google]
smug_mitsuha.jpg
19KB, 266x259px
>>155887805
>Honestly, she was kinda unattractive too.
shut ur dumb ass up
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>155887805
delete this right now
>>
>>155887805
Weeeee woooo weeeee woooo faggot alert
>>
>>155887857
>>155887871
Remember, as great as Mitsuha is, Yotsuha is superior.
>>
File: mitsuha.jpg (196KB, 850x1213px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha.jpg
196KB, 850x1213px
>>155887805
>this
>unattractive
You trying to start some shit, anon?
>>
>>155886671
I'd expect him to avoid the teenage romance since he's concerned about being overshadowed now. Maybe an adult romance instead. Maybe something not romantic at all.
>>
>>155887732
So it's OK for the plot writers to write in anything supernatural because they say supernatural stuff happens? The explanation for that happening is so flimsy and ends up feeling like a lazy way to advance the plot.
>>
File: 351654646.png (589KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
351654646.png
589KB, 1280x738px
I like the second she takes to think about whether its ok for him to touch her boobs "once"
>>
File: yubaba.webm (1MB, 720x389px) Image search: [Google]
yubaba.webm
1MB, 720x389px
>>155886518
Both are my favorite, but Your Name is my most favorite
>>
>>155888021
>So it's OK for the plot writers to write in anything supernatural because they say supernatural stuff happens
Chekhov's gun.
>>
>>155888021
Twilight is a spooky time in almost every real world civilization, the explanation is baked into the culture.
>>
>>155888021
You ever heard of magic realism? At least the movie had someone who explained why the magic occurred.
>>
File: date.webm (380KB, 720x403px) Image search: [Google]
date.webm
380KB, 720x403px
>>
>>155888053
She secretly wished he'd groped her more than once.
>>
File: 1339850801050.gif (917KB, 500x204px) Image search: [Google]
1339850801050.gif
917KB, 500x204px
>>155888212
>when she realized Taki didn't know who she was
>>
>>155858290

>Want to see this, but decided I'd wait for blu-rays and just do my best to avoid seeing anything about this.
>Theater finally gets this in
>Says "japanese audio, english subs"
>Fuck yeah
>Go see it today
>It's fuckin dubbed

Goddamnit. It wasn't a god awful dub, but it still was shit.

>TFW they use the word "boobies" for every scene like this: >>155888053

>>155888021

I get what you're saying, but the entire fucking plot is magical time traveling body switching. Are you seriously arguing that the supernatural shit came out of nowhere?
>>
>>155888021
The movie's literally about supernatural shit, how it's real and how their temple deals with fucking magic.

They spend a good 20 minutes of it explaining this to you and it's a core part of the film. Why are you so surprised?
>>
WHERE ARE THE MITSUHA LEWDS??
>>
>>155888021
>So it's OK for Jedi to move stuff with The Force because they say The Force exists?
>>
File: 1492039347613.jpg (63KB, 1022x527px) Image search: [Google]
1492039347613.jpg
63KB, 1022x527px
>>155888280
>wasn't a god awful dub
>but it still was shit
not sure i follow
>>
File: delet.jpg (197KB, 600x470px) Image search: [Google]
delet.jpg
197KB, 600x470px
>>155888372
Do not lewd Mitsuha.
>>
File: bedhead mitsuha.png (269KB, 850x425px) Image search: [Google]
bedhead mitsuha.png
269KB, 850x425px
Why was she (he) grinnng?
>>
>>155888372
DO NOT LEWD MITSUHA
>>
>>155888280
>Says "japanese audio, english subs"
>Fuck yeah
>Go see it today
>It's fuckin dubbed
This isn't the first time I've seen people say this happened, which makes me kind of mad. I hope you complained.
>>
>>155888496
>tfw we never saw Taki's first day as Mitsuha

It must have been the lewdest and smuggest thing ever.
>>
>>155888280
How did they even do he whole watashi, watakushi, boku, ore gag in the dub? That shit has no English equivalents at all.
>>
>>155888152
>>155888206
>>155888332
That's why I'm fine with the body switching explanation, because one, the band Mitsuha gave Taki, and two, the grandma says that her family has had that phenomenon happen to them before. But their sudden meeting was definitely pushing it, especially since they were from two different times. It's all too convenient and shouldn't be let slide just cause magic powers lol.

>>155888378
Haven't watched too many Star Wars movies but I'm assuming there's set rules for what you can do with the Force? At least not as far as using it to converge timelines.
>>
>>155888561
He probably spent most of it masturbating, based on the most common responses to this question. Makes sense that they can't show it.
>>
File: lewds.webm (191KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
lewds.webm
191KB, 600x610px
>>155888372
>why would there be lewds of me
>>
>>155888627
Time travel shenanigans were involved with the body switching. I don't know why it's so hard to wrap your head around allowing more time travel shenanigans to happen during the magic time that was foreshadowed early on. It's not like it came out of nowhere.
>>
>>155888400

Like it wasn't so awful I had to get up and leave because I just couldn't take it, but it was still annoying as fuck and grating. Quite a few moments I was cringing because the line delivery was off.

>>155888604

I forget, but it was really bad. Something like "Girls... er. Gals... uh... Guys" with her making his voice deeper everytime. It made no fucking sense, though I could kind of guess from the context what the joke was probably in Japanese.

>>155888522

Probably will. At least so that they correct it on the website. It even lists the Seiyuu's, too.
>>
>>155888627
The Force and what it's capable of is actually quite abstract and can vary depending on what the writer decides what needs to be done.
>>
>>155875107
>>155882251
>>155883335

5th time tonight here. Gonna get that Friday crowd (I hope).

Make the best out of being funemployed anon.
>>
>>155878775

I'm proud of you Lelouch, you said an alright thing.
>>
>>155888627
>Time twists, turns and reconnects
That wasn't a throwaway line, anon. They were explaining how time works in their particular universe and using that principle to explain the phenomenon.
Literally the only thing left is to have Jeff fucking Goldblum turning up with a
>Time finds a way
to make it any more obvious.
>>
>>155883834
>>155884081

>yfw the entire movie is actually full of panties but nobody has noticed
b r a v o s h i n k a i
>>
>>155875107

I have extreme social anxiety and I went to see it by myself. Go middle of the day during a weekday if you can manage. There was only 5 people (6 including me) and 3 of us were alone. Seeing a movie in the theater by yourself is one of the few things I can't see the shame in.

You might feel shame at the fact that all of the previews are for kids animation movies, though.
>>
>>155865389
What hidden clues? I just watched it in the theater and managed to avoid every spoiler bomb before seeing it.

Speaking of the ending
Did the girl manage to get her father to listen to her because everyone saw the comet was breaking apart and about to go Strangereal on their town?
>>
File: mitsuha_bus.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha_bus.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
guys the emptiness is back
>>
>>155858290
It is a generic cliche-ridden shitfest, but goddamn it may be the closest we will get to keit ai
>>
File: 90ccc4eb8c75db8bf43a6707ebb3d3db.jpg (304KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
90ccc4eb8c75db8bf43a6707ebb3d3db.jpg
304KB, 1280x1280px
>>155889138
it never goes away
>>
>>155889114

I dunno. The movie probably could have benefitted with another 20 minutes. 15 minutes to focus on them interacting positively in some way (as opposed to the bickering and then all of a sudden crying at the thought of him going on a date with somebody else) and 5 to make the ending not quite as rushed.
>>
>>155885999
>mitsuha-waits-for-BD-release.webm

Also, nice trips.
>>
>>155889114
The hints start dropping as early as the first scecne
I missed this until a friend pointed it out
Mitsuha has what looks like an iphone 4 or 5 while Taki has an iphone 6S or 7, which were released 3 years apart
>>
>>155868017
I thought for a moment Funimation decided to not be complete Jews and hired Tom Hanks for a role in the Dub. Way to crush my dreams.

What role in the movie would Tom Hanks best be suited for?
>>
>>155889292
Mitsuha.
>>
File: a566556.webm (499KB, 800x688px) Image search: [Google]
a566556.webm
499KB, 800x688px
>>155889138
The only time I want to positively unwatch something to watch it again
>>
>>155889138
Same here. I've watched it 3 times, but I still can't get rid of that empty feeling.

Seriously, does anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried watching some of the new shows from this season, tried reading manga, but nothing seems to catch my interest anymore. I just feel horribly depressed right now.
>>
I'm tempted to watch it again tonight during peak time and kinda keep an eye on the audience reactions.
>>
File: 1384126232889.gif (1019KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1384126232889.gif
1019KB, 250x201px
>>155889267
>MFW I refuse to get a smartphone so I wouldn't be able to pick up on that.
Seeing as I know nothing about how iPhone models work. Wouldn't it make sense for Mitsuha to have an older model because she lives in in the countryside and it makes sense not to have the latest thing? Or does that not apply with smart phones where you need to update as soon as the latest one comes out?
>>
>>155889486

That's what I'm doing m8.
>>
I'm going to watch it a second time. This time with my sister. What should I keep an eye out for? As in details and whatnot.
>>
>>155889511
It's possible, but given the context of the movie, I'd bet my fingers it was intentional.
>>
>>155889542
The look of disgust she gives you as you watch the first scene.
>>
>>155889511
You don't have to update your model, but each new iPhone usually ships with a new OS version that you can put on some older models.
>>
>>155889511

Well they're not literally iPhones in the movie, so it's something of a moot question in my opinion.
>>
>>155889556
I'm sure its intentional, but it's something no sane person would be able to pick up until well after the fact let alone watching it for the first time.

>>155889573
>Not going to see this movie with your mother
To be fair I also went to see Deadpool with her.
>>
>>155889664
>Not going to see this movie with your mother

>tfw I'm actually considering it
>>
>>155889542

I enjoyed taking note of how the two timelines were entwined. Shinkai put in the effort to fashion his time paradox as elegantly as possible.
>>
>>155889573
I think that scene is spoiled in the trailer. Also all my siblings are weebs to a degree so I don't think she'd glare at me for that.

Anyways I asked that because I noticed people saying their second or even third times watching it were better. I'm just wondering how.
>>
>>155889664
Yeah, I agree. It's more of an easter egg for people on repeat watches.
It's a pretty cheeky detail to put into the first scene though.
>>
>>155858290
The love story made no fucking sense. Falling in love with someone by leaving notes to each other is pants on head retarded.
>>
new thread when
>>
>>155889779

>It's a pretty cheeky detail to put into the first scene though.
Wait exactly what detail are we talking about?
>>
>>155889791
You don't know that. It's not like any of us experienced that. What about little shits passing notes to each other in class?
>>
>>155889826

>>155889914
>>155889914
>>155889914
>>
>>155889925
Wait for page 10 my dude.
>>
File: keit-ai.jpg (127KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
keit-ai.jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>155889841
>>
>>155883888
>the meteor impact was October 4, 2013, but they stopped swapping before that happened, probably around October 1 or so.
Mitsuha went to Tokyo the day before the Meteor hit.
>>
>>155889267

She has a 5S, while Taki has a 6 or 6S.

Mitsuha's is definitely a 5S because it has the rear camera setup of the 5S and the ring around the home button that was added with the fingerprint reader. Her phone is actually slightly newer than it should be, she could have had a 5, but not a 5S, and wouldn't have had iOS 7.

Taki's is a 6 or 6S because it has the side-mounted power button and has the plastic bands that were largely eliminated on the iPhone 7.
>>
>>155888496
>>155888561
>>155888683
Isnt that image Mitsuhas imagination? Taki was probably just confused throught the whole first day
>>
>>155884113
Consider the scene when Okudera-senpai tells Taki(Mitsuha) that she was worried he'd put up a fight with the rude customer because he's short-tempered despite being weak.
>>
>>155858290
>They swap bodies with eachother several times a week for months and not once do either of them notice that there is a 3 year time gap between them
Thread posts: 522
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.