[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of seeing the truth? Why do they act like transmuting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: 325464765.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
325464765.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
What is the point of seeing the truth?
Why do they act like transmuting without the circle is actually a good thing when it's actually slower because you have to clap first.
>>
>>155627132
you can clap in everywhere but you can't have a circle everywhere
>>
>>155627132
why wouldn't everyone just carry around already drawn circles?
>>
>>155627215
You can't clap without your hands but you can have circle anytime anywhere via tattoo, gloves, etc...
Literally any state alchemist doesn't need to draw circles like a troglodyte.
>>
>>155627303
They can do that for ONE thing. It's implied that the clapping alchemy also comes with an encyclopedic passive knowledge of alchemy so they can alchemy-whatchamahoozits anything they need to. All those pre-prepared circles are for a specific, unchanging purpose, but Ed can clap his hands to transmute any material without having to adjust the ritual for the different component materials.
>>
>>155627132
The idea is that you can transmute everything. Haven't you noticed that every other combat alchemist can only use one attack type that they carve onto their body or equipment? But people who have seen Truth can transmute everything without needing a circle. This means for example that Edward could have used every type of alchemy you have seen in the show immediately if the users would take a little time to teach him.
>>
Because it means you don't have to specialize in a type of alchemy. Circles that people carry around with them can only do one kind of thing, and simple circles that are drawn quickly on surfaces can only do simple things.

But the author wasn't really good at making this clear since nearly all of the transmutations Ed did were simple shit he could have done with a premade circle. Ed should be able to instantly copy any type of alchemy he sees.
>>
>>155627400
>if the users would take a little time to teach him.
Not even that. He just has to see it once or fucking imagine it.
>>
>>155627494
I mean we both can't be sure, hasn't edward seen Mustang's gloves multiple times? It's not like he hides them. However what he hides are the guidelines and research behind flame alchemy that is engraved on Hawkeye's back. This means that a certain amount of study must go into using it. Otherwise everyone who copied the circle could use it.
>>
>>155627601
The reason why Ed doesn't use all different kinds of alchemy is because the author is uncreative.
>>
>>155627132

Seeing the truth gives you innate knowledge and ability in alchemy.

I also made a theory that the truth is that there is a God and the clap represents a prayer.
>>
>>155627601
This makes no sense. Premade circles don't need the user to know anything. Mustang could literally make some for Alphonse and he'd be able to use em.
>>
>>155627663
I understand what you mean but it would a be a little harsh to say that. The story and worldbuilding behind FMA is certainly much higher quality than what you normally find in the industry. But imagine that Ed used every kinds of alchemy in the show, I don't think he would have the same personality anymore and would be overpowered. The idea is to have his powers have character, something we can associate him with. In this case earth shaping is something that Ed is naturally inclined to do.
>>
>>155627748
this seemed to be implied when they talk about alkhaestry and mixing both
>>
>>155627764
If premade circles don't need the user to know anything why is that Mustang erased certain parts from Hawkeye's back so that nobody could use flame alchemy? Even Mustang's teacher was terrified of the idea that flame alchemy could become widespread and hid not the circle itself but rather the lengthy explanations behinds his own daughter's back? From this perspective, every alchemist in the series could simply copy every circle they see (since absolutely nobody in the entire story hides them) and use it however they like. Could you imagine what the war would be like if there were hundreds of Mustang's everywhere? But there was only one in spite of everyone seeing Mustang's circle on a daily basis.
>>
>>155628059
>why is that Mustang erased certain parts from Hawkeye's back so that nobody could use flame alchemy?
So that no one else can make a complete circle except him?

>But there was only one in spite of everyone seeing Mustang's circle on a daily basis.
Author could easily go with it being too complex for them to just copy at once or them having pride in their own powers.
>>
>>155628019
That makes me realize, it's kind of silly that the alchemy granted by truth can be blocked by Father.
>>
>>155628182
I guess he only blocks the means to use alchemy, like the energy it requires. he doesn't block alkahestry because it comes from another source
>>
>>155628059
>But there was only one in spite of everyone seeing Mustang's circle on a daily basis.
Obviously the circle isn't the key, and what was on Riza's back wasn't just the circle but instructions on how to use it.
>>
>>155631066
this
>>
>>155627132
Why wouldn't you want the truth?
>>
Do they actually have to clap their hands? I remember the whole claping thing just being Ed's deal because it looked like a prayer or something? I forget the details, it's been a long while since i watched it.
>>
>>155638015
>Do they actually have to clap their hands?
Yes, that's what completes the transmutation circle.
>>
>>155638015
Al does it too at a point I think
>>
>>155638015
Yes, everyone who sees the truth does it. Ed, Al. Izumi, and Mustang all need to do it.
Ed muses on the Truth forcing the fairly atheistic alchemists to "pray" to use alchemy
>>
>>155638015
You might be thinking of the movie where he claps his hands out of habit and then just beats up some niggers.
>>
>>155627303
You don't have to clap. You just have to form a closed circuit.
Also you can do all alchemy. With a drawing you can only do one thing.
>>
>>155638015
Those who see the truth treat their body as a circle. They do this by putting their hands together.
>>
File: Truth.jpg (18KB, 634x354px) Image search: [Google]
Truth.jpg
18KB, 634x354px
>>155627748
>the truth is that there is a God
No fucking shit Sherlock
>>
>>155627132
is the clapping supposed to be reference to praying to god? or it just looks cool?
>>
>>155627601
fire transmutation was special. you needed to know special and specific procedures to use it correctly.
>>
>>155638015
when you clap you hands together like that, your arms and body form a circle. A transmutation circle.
>>
>>155640208
>>155640479
>>
>>155640479
How did I never realize that?
>>
As far as the manga has gone, Elf doesn't really seem to be gunning for Izumi, other than to tease him occasionally.
Does this change later in the light novel?
>>
>>155627299
This is exactly what the vast majority of combat alchemists do.
>>
It allows Ed to transmute whatever way he wants without a proper circle for it.

He is a Jack of All Alchemy everytime.
>>
>>155627748
Ling literally says that Ed performing alchemy looks like he's praying
>>
>>155643910
Though, like his moniker implies, he tends to transmute metals and earths (which are technically metals) into weapons and such.
>>
>>155627663
> The author is un creative
If Ed had every different type of alchemy known to man at his disposal he would essentially be OP and it would make every fight uninteresting.
>>
>>155627132
Why didn't they just make a circle with the fingers? Like an ok symbol. The mouth can easily make a circle shape, and so can the anus. The author probably just wanted to copy Naruto.
>>
>>155645330
The arms make a circle
>>
File: 1491701017453.jpg (37KB, 229x238px) Image search: [Google]
1491701017453.jpg
37KB, 229x238px
>>155627132
>Clapping is slower than drawing
>>
>>155645330
dont the circles have to have some level of the diagram shit in the middle to work? even the nation size one needed the star shape
>>
>>155644388
Been a while, but didn't his missing arm limit him in some way? When he got it back he went from getting toyed with to making father a prison bitch.
>>
>>155646902
Yes, a circle to get the energy flowing and diagram for the alchemic reaction itself. After you see the truth you become the diagram and your hands can form the circle.
I wonder if you could form a circle with your legs if one of your hands would be unusable
>>
>>155647115
Automail is not as functional as a real arm, although flesh is weaker.
>>
>>155627429
>Ed should be able to instantly copy any type of alchemy he sees.

Well not really, since you do actually have to have an innate understanding how how the alchemical theory itself works.
>>
>>155647115
Father was already almost dead before Ed started to punch him
>>
>>155627132
>be able to use any alchemy
>use it to create a longsword on your robo-arm

was ed actually a shitty alchemist?
>>
>>155647115
It didn't. In fact, the transmuted arm was all skin and bones. Notice how he only punched with his left after he got the arm.

The reason Father got fucked is due to "god" fucking off after the nationwide transmutation circle got reversed. In addition to that, he already burned a lot of his Xerxes' stones trying to contain it in the first place.
>>
Father was a pretty bad villain desu
>>
>>155627132
How are you going to sell it to Americans without copious amounts of clapping?
>>
>>155648196
More Winry?
>>
>>155627132
why doesn't everyone learn to clap???
>>
>>155646637
thank you this thread my rest in peace
>>
>>155627132
Why do you people indulge retards like the OP of this thread with answers? You don't have to be this desperate for a FMA thread. Just create one once in a while.
>>
>>155642374
who knows? They outright say it at one point so you just weren't paying much attention.
>>
>>155650823
Maybe I knew and forgot then.
>>
>>155649949
I can clap. It's the rest of it that is a problem.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.