[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

finally watching brotherhood after finishing the original, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

finally watching brotherhood after finishing the original, and wow. that was great
>>
File: 1274043516165.jpg (27KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
1274043516165.jpg
27KB, 225x300px
glad you liked it
>>
File: 1272458203039.png (9KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1272458203039.png
9KB, 493x402px
Both series are quite good, I sort of prefer the original series myself which I think I might credit to the slightly darker tone and color palette.
>>
>>155412129
>>155412204
>>155412257
just to be clear, i didn't finish brotherhood. only just finished episode 26. wanted to make a thread on how amazing that ending was
>>
>>155412257
As a kid I thought the original ending was the deepest fucking shit of my whole life.

Then Conqueror of Shambhala came out and even back then I thought it was retarded as hell.

Brother/ manga is GOAT version of FMA. Made me appreciate the fact that not every story needs an edgy bittersweet/ melancholic ending. The brothers deserved a happy end with farmlife, science and waifus.
>>
>big bad of the original anime
>some jilted ex lover of their father
>big bad of the manga and brotherhood anime
>a being beyond the gate that wants to reach Godhood
>>
File: 1265176759532.png (166KB, 336x360px) Image search: [Google]
1265176759532.png
166KB, 336x360px
>>155412477
Yeah I don't disagree with what you are saying really. I feel like Brotherhood is objectively better, has a more satisfying ending and better character development arcs. In spite of that, I have some preference for the original, maybe it's just nostalgia and watching it at an impressionable age, but it stuck with me more. However, I wouldn't recommend it over Brotherhood to somebody who hasn't watched either one asking which version to watch.
>>
>>155412257
I like both series and don't really like how it became cool to hate the first one when Brotherhood came out. The anime original secret of the gate was fucking retarded though.
>>
>>155414020

Anon, it isn't "cool" to hate the first one. You see, your typical anime fan like the second one because is literally a generic shonen, wereas the first one went full ahead experimenting and showing more humanity in it's narrative. Your typical weaboo won't appreciate the first version, and sadly, they are the vast majority, they are the "normie" dorks if you wish.
>>
Original had the guts to give a imperfrct ending.
>>
More Bradley is the best reason to watch Brotherhood.

Not every story needs closure or a perfect ending either.
>>
>>155415369

If you actually give a fuck what people think about your or even their opinions your dumb. Many people like the original more. Thats fine. I think they have something wrong in the head. Thats fine. They think i have something wrong in the head. Thats fine too. People shouldnt get all pissy about defending shit.

I for one find brotherhood to be the best version of FMA. Its got its weak points but its weak points arent as weak as the original series.
>>
>>155415804

>your dumb
>>
>>155412129
I actually never finished brotherhood. I liked and finished the original. I love the manga, though. I've reread it at least 5 or 6 times. She should do more yonkoma stuff
>>
>>155412697
Original for drama, Brotherhood for fights, though even then they really aren't that great.

>>155412674
For a teenager who's never gone through a shonen or JRPG before I can see why a "villain who wants to become god" would seem cool.
>>
>>155415369
>the second one...is literally a generic shonen

I have no idea what kind of severe head trauma would lead someone to this conclusion, but you have my sympathies, brain damage-kun.
>>
>>155415513

That's a really good excuse for making a shit ending.
>>
>>155419075
No. He's right. I don't understand why anyone would bother watching it for anything else. Because it's deep? It's a battle shonen adapted from a manga published in Monthly Shōnen Gangan that ends with the protag beating up a god with the power of friendship.
>>
>>155419075
2003 was also a generic shonen, except with worse writing.
>>
>>155419694
2003 wasn't even focused on the fights. That's why Brotherhoodfags dislike it over Brotherhood. Too much talking, not enough mindless battle shonen action for their taste.
>>
>>155412129
Brotherhood is not a perfect adaptation of the manga, but there are a few things I think it did better. This scene is one of them. It was fucking good in the manga, but the way Ed punches the Gate open in Brotherhood really nails it.
>>
They are both generic shounen. It is just the manga is better because the story and ending were set up from the beginning and the villain actually makes sense and fits within the themes of the series. I really don't get how people can claim one is generic and the other isn't. I enjoyed the first anime series, but the story really falls apart in the second half when they try to do original stuff.
>>
>>155412301
>>155412129
All the episodes where the ED fades in are fucking great OP. There's more of that shit to come.
>>
>>155420047
In what way was 2003 "generic shonen"?

Brotherhood is obvious. Most of the homunculi were just fodder for one on one combat.
>>
>>155419984
just looked at the manga chapter. it felt way too fast and not as dramatic to me. the ED music was what really made the scene enjoyable.
>>
>>155420336
I think when it comes to the "powerful" moments, Bones actually managed to one-up Arakawa, in a lot of them at least.

The ED fade in episode 51 was the hypest shit.
>>
File: 19789999.jpg (48KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
19789999.jpg
48KB, 600x518px
>>155420047
>generic shounen
Explain to me how FMA:B is a "generic" shounen.

>no power of friendship
>no asspull powerups
>plot more relevant than battles
>no tournament arc
>no invencible unkillable MC that everyone is in awe of
>people die if they are killed
>real consequences for your actions, no regaining powers that you sacrificed
>>
>>155419640
>beating up a god with the power of friendship.

Why do people keep saying this? Did they just miss watch the last 20 episodes on mute or something? Did people ignore all the bullshit explaining how the alchemical mechanics work?
>>
>>155420311
There were loads of fights in the 2003 series, especially from Lust, Envy and Pride that weren't in the manga. There were more fights in the manga because there is a lot more story and characters in it.

In the manga the homunculi were actually created because the main villain wanted to rid himself of his worldly desires, which is why they had their names, but in the 2003 series the homunculi don't make any sense.
>>
File: 1456257788489.jpg (215KB, 666x590px) Image search: [Google]
1456257788489.jpg
215KB, 666x590px
I'm actually about to get into this. Which one should I start with first, original or brotherhood?
Does it matter?
>>
>>155420494
>no power of friendship
One of the worst of these I know of with Ed vs Father. Greed's character arc towards good guy status is as generic as they come.

>plot more relevant than battles
Was there anything impressive at all about Brotherhood's plot? HxH's Chimera Ant arc gets praised because it subverted genre expectations on top of having themes. Brotherhood's plot is little better than Naruto's or that of DBZ's Namek Saga.

>no invencible unkillable MC that everyone is in awe of
Father.

>real consequences for your actions, no regaining powers that you sacrificed
In a series praised by people who like it for its happy ending?
>>
File: 0053-037.jpg (243KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0053-037.jpg
243KB, 900x1350px
>>155420336
Yes, the original scene feels shorter, and I think Bones made a good choice by turning it into a cliffhanger, while the manga chapter continued for a bit and showed Ed and Al reuniting in Father's lair. But I just love the intensity Arakawa gives to her characters' expressions and body language. It's something neither anime adaptation managed to convey.
>>
>>155420707
>There were loads of fights in the 2003 series

Most of which were brutal, short, and served some sort of narrative purpose. Ed vs Greed, for instance, wasn't just there to be cool but was about Ed losing his innocence and coming to grips with the concept of actually being forced to kill an enemy. The main villain didn't even get any cool fight moments, much to the chagrin of Brotherhood fans. Dante's confrontation with Ed was an ideological conflict in which she shat on his ideal of Equivalent Exchange.
>>
>>155420723
if youre gonna watch both, watch the original and the movie. then brotherhood. dont do brotherhood then original
>>
>>155412129
Why does he have a metal peen growing out of his face?
>>
>>155420766
Chimera Ant was dogshit.
>>
/a/ hates brotherhood because it's popular just like normalfag hates 2003 because "muh manga" which they don't even read
>>
I finally got around to watching brotherhood a couple of weeks ago but I barely remember the original FMA.
Probably cause I also marathoned it in 2 days however many years ago
>>
>>155426167
Aww, someone's mad
>>
I need to do a rewatch.
>>
>>155412674
>big bad of the manga and brotherhood anime
>an artificial being desperately trying to understand the mysteries of creation and ultimately failing to do so, for it cannot perform a sacrifice of his own, only sacrifice others
Fixed that for ya.
>>
2003 is better, in my opinion, even with its plot holes and shit.

But again, brotherhood have a better art, music, and ling.
>>
Brotherhood had some great scenes like pic related, but by and large it was pretty dull and lacked a compelling story. It got REALLY shounen at the end. Boring.
>>
>>155431370
>ling

Goofy gag character introduced in episode 35 with an irrelevant and melodramatic arc. Filler character
>>
2003 was better. The humor was better by being not over the top. Nakamura > Kameda.

Also a shitty bittersweet ending is still superior to cliche shonen everyone-is-happy we-all-win nonsense. The moment they started shooting beams at each other, I knew it was garbage.
>>
File: welp.png (193KB, 411x455px) Image search: [Google]
welp.png
193KB, 411x455px
Brotherhood had better OPs and 03 had much better EDs.
>>
>>155412129
I hope you realize the original is much better.
>>
>>155433669
Brotherhood is the original, 2003 is half fanfiction shit and the quality took a nosedive when they ran out of manga material.
>>
>>155412129
hard to believe but I think the brotherhood was better than the original
>>
>>155434130
the only problem with brotherhood is that it skip some arc that was in the original. Would've been nice if it was included. Only reason it was skipped was because they want to jump to the new arc that wasn't in the original quickly
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.