[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a grown man. I never got into Sailor Moon back in the say.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Sailor Moon.jpg (47KB, 670x413px) Image search: [Google]
Sailor Moon.jpg
47KB, 670x413px
I am a grown man. I never got into Sailor Moon back in the say. A friend of mine, who is 29, loves this show and he keeps trying to convince me to watch it, but he also grew up watching it and I did not. Without spoiling anything, is this show actually good or is it a show for little girls that my friend only loves because of nostalgia? I watched the first episode last night, and it was okay, but it wasn't anything too special. Does it get really good later?
>>
>>154687115
You're not from here, and you need to fuck off.
>>
It's okay. I would watch it because holy shit, how have you not seen Sailor Moon?
That being said, it's okay.
>>
3 episode rule, fuck off.
>>
File: 1461295139319.jpg (140KB, 500x658px) Image search: [Google]
1461295139319.jpg
140KB, 500x658px
>>154687115
what are you, some kind of fruit?
>>
>>154687115
>>
>>154687115
Eh...

The original Sailor Moon was cheesy and campy as fuck. There were some good moments scattered about, which can be quite touching if you get into it and start liking the characters, but the majority of the series involves silly interactions and monsters of the week. I'd think that most people who enjoy the original series prefer it due to nostalgia.

Sailor Moon Crystal is a lot more compact, following a tighter story and not dealing with MotW situations. Most of the fights are meaningful, and there are less fights overall. Those meaningful situations come up more often and there is generally more personal and interpersonal drama than silliness and fighting the enemy. The biggest problem with Crystal is the first season or two were fairly poor starting out; it was only towards the end of each that was good.

You might honestly want to take a look at the manga. It seems to have the best consistent quality overall. Sure, there's a lot of silliness there as well, but most of it is about the story and the relationships/watching the main character mature. A lot of the story involves some hammy, old-school drama, so how much you like or tolerate that will likely determine how much you like the series overall. But it should be quicker and easier to get into than the anime series.

There's also the Codename Sailor V manga series, which is sort of a prequel to Sailor Moon. It's a lot shorter and gives you somewhat of an idea how Sailor Moon will go, so perhaps check that out first.
>>
>>154687115

My problem is where to get started for the main series. Easy for me to go with Codename Sailor V given that it chronologically happened first, but for the main series, I want to read the manga and watch the original anime, as well as Crystal, at the same time. However, I have problems with the former, given that the only online scans that finished the entire thing went with the localized names. I did find an attempt to translate the original version on kissmanga, but it isn't complete yet.
>>
>>154687115
Fighting evil by moonlight. Winning love by day light. Always looking for a real fight
>>
>>154687115
I've never seen it either OP. I don't think we're missing much though.
>>
It's a monster of the week anime. It's pretty formulaic, but it's pretty fucking funny. The characters riff off each other really well.

Sailor Moon can't carry the show by herself. You should at least watch an episode with Mars or Jupiter before dropping the show.
>>
>>154689620
This. Usagi is horrible but does get better, or at least stands out less, once all the girls get fleshed out. I'm in season 4 now and am enjoying it. All you need to do is pace yourself. For the record, seasons 1 and 2 have a completely different feel to them compared to 3+. This is one of those shows that does get better over time but is also very repeatative.
>>
>>154687115
The best thing to come out of the original Sailor Moon series was the Sailor Moon R movie. Watch that OP, it won't really spoil anything. If you hate it, I'm pretty sure you will not like anything else about the show and vice versa.
>>
>>154690883
And also, avoid the English dubs.
>>
>>154687115
I wouldn't say it only survives off of nostalgia appeal, but you have to have a predisposition to the magical girl genre to fully enjoy it I feel.
Of course it's not bad, but it doesn't do a heel-face-turn a few episodes in that will make you suddenly love it more than you did the first episode.
Don't force yourself to watch more just to satiate your friend.
If he keeps being pushy just watch it with him or something, maybe in the company of someone who loves it you can enjoy it more?
>>
File: 1472269084612.jpg (83KB, 887x666px) Image search: [Google]
1472269084612.jpg
83KB, 887x666px
>>154687115
Look, just think of it like one of those "monster of the week" TV show of the 90's and 00's, like Charmed or Buffy:

It was nothing special in the beginning, but as the show went on, more characters were introduced, which helped the MC grow as a character. The lore got deeper. Things started to get a bit grayer in certain places. Soon enough, you got yourself a classic show that wasn't ashamed of its root.

Also, just like old stuffs like Watchmen or Dracula, understand that these old fiction works introduced then-new ideas which, as time went on, got copied by modern shows and thus no longer seems that unique now. See: pic related.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.